Rams offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend

There has been much speculation as to what offense will be rolled out this year with the addition of O'Connell as OC. I've always contended that the base offensive philosophy (i.e. scheme won't change). It makes no sense to change the entire offensive scheme when the breakdown last year had more to do with poor execution than the actual play design.

I think we will continue to see McVay layer his 3 WRs with his RBs and TEs as his secondary and dump off options. IMO the WRs have been upgraded with the addition of Jefferson who brings speed, outstanding route execution, and the length missing in Cooks to the position. I do think we will likely see more throws to the RBs this year. People tend to overlook how good Gurley was as a receiver. In Henderson and Akers, the Rams have two good receivers out of the backfield. I don't believe that McVay's offensive scheme was stale as some contend. What I saw was a fundamental breakdown in the offensive execution by both the o-line and the RBs in the run game and by Reynolds trying to fill in for an oft-injured Cooks.

What will change will be the reliance upon the outside zone run attack as their primary run scheme. Last year towards the end of the season it was obvious they tried to switch to more inside zone and gap blocking in their run game. The problem was it was plainly obvious by the lack of consistent execution that the scheme was not one practiced during the offseason. Both the o-line and the RBs at many times seemed confused. I think it will be addressed this year and as such both the RBs and o-line will perform better.

But that aside the base offense we saw run to perfection during the 2018 regular season will still be in place this year. Each year McVay implements "wrinkles" in that offense to keep the defense guessing. But I see them continuing to use the 11 personnel as their base offensive set. The Niners ran the old school power gap run attack last year. I see the Ram's running their version of an inside gap scheme in their attack. Instead of a lead blocker, they probably will use the 11 personnel to lighten the box by one. The Rams can still use a TE as a pulling blocker at the POA, something Hopkins did in college. In most versions of an inside run attack the center must be able to execute second level blocking which has always been one of Blythe's weaknesses. It's why picking the o-line starters especially in who plays where will be crucial to the success of the o-line.

I look at this roster and I see huge upgrades across the board over the 2018 roster, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I think Staley will be more aggressive than Wade but in all fairness, Staley has a better more versatile unit. The d-line is as good or better than the 2018 version. I think Robinson is an upgrade over Suh in terms of consistency of effort, but he's a wrecking ball inside as well. Floyd at JACK is as good of a pass rusher as Fowler with the added benefit he can occasionally drop into coverage allowing Ebukam to rush, increasing the difficulty in blocking for the o-line.

The secondary with Ramsey and Long are far better than Talib and Peters. The safeties with the addition of Rapp are much improved. Their NCB and dime situation is upgraded with Burgess and Williams. This secondary won't be limited to the predictable zone schemes employed by Wade. All the CBs can play man coverage with the exception of Hill.

This team with good coaching has no excuses as long as they stay basically healthy. The only thing that worries me are COVID 19 losses during the season. The Rams have better depth this year than in previous years but even they can only absorb just so many player losses. The biggest worry is at QB. I still say the Rams should trade for Rosen who is a perfect fit for this offense and will solve their QB depth problem for years. That aside I expect to see a team that can dominate on both sides of the ball. All it will take is consistent execution, i.e. good coaching.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IF the Rams do the following we'll be back in the playoffs...

1. Get the run game rolling to a top 10 or better finish in SR. (success rate is what we need to balance things up, but with Cam if that SR is high he's also going to finish well in DVoA which has additional benefits). We were bottom barrel (27th) last season with Gurley.

2. Get protections to middle of the pack at the least, where Goff can actually have a reasonable chance to not have a rusher in his face one and a half seconds after the snap. This will allow for more threat intermediate to deep and force defenses to play us in the pass game.

Both of course relate to the OL. So nothing's changed for me on that front. Let's hope the big fellas get 'er done. (y)

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Offensive lines are impossible to predict in most cases. People seem to forget that under McVay, we've always rolled with two below average OL (Sully/Brown, Sully/Blythe) even when we had a "top" ranked offensive line. Hav has mostly been average despite his unusually high pass block win rate from two years ago.

And then we had two great pieces in Whitworth and Saffold. Overall if you averaged then in terms of talent, it would come out to average.

So we just need to have this OL at an average skill level, and then get lucky with injuries. Considering how unlucky we were last year, hopefully that turns around. For the talent:

Whitworth - just slightly above average at this point

Corbett - below average

Blythe - at center, just slightly below average

Edwards - average

Hav - average

So all we need for this OL to turn around is improvement from either Corbett, Edwards or Evans. Notice the "or" and not "and" - I think it's very likely that at least one of these guys improves, and if they do, from an overall skill level we will be back to where we were.

And yes this is all arbitrary, but everything is with offensive lines.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So we just need to have this OL at an average skill level, and then get lucky with injuries. Considering how unlucky we were last year, hopefully that turns around. For the talent:

Whitworth - just slightly above average at this point

Corbett - below average

Blythe - at center, just slightly below average

Edwards - average

Hav - average

So all we need for this OL to turn around is improvement from either Corbett, Edwards or Evans. Notice the "or" and not "and" - I think it's very likely that at least one of these guys improves, and if they do, from an overall skill level we will be back to where we were.

And yes this is all arbitrary, but everything is with offensive lines.

This is a fair assessment of the offensive line and again, it's either going to overachieve and prove everybody wrong and underachieve and the Rams will have new Offensive Line Coaches & looking to draft at that position for 2021.....I'm actually hoping that Noteboom is able to prove healthy and maybe be the starting LT at the end of the year and maybe somebody emerges at Center too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is going to be glorious to behold.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is a fair assessment of the offensive line and again, it's either going to overachieve and prove everybody wrong and underachieve and the Rams will have new Offensive Line Coaches & looking to draft at that position for 2021.....I'm actually hoping that Noteboom is able to prove healthy and maybe be the starting LT at the end of the year and maybe somebody emerges at Center too.

I’ll make my prediction here.

Whitworth signed a nice contract & will give Noteboom time to get healthy. I believe he will not play in 2020. My hope is The Rams can get him locked up to a nice team friendly deal & he becomes a solid LT.

Corbett is a smart player. He has a little nasty to him as well. I think he fills the LG postition nicely next to the 2 veterans.

Austin Blythe is on a prove it deal. He finally is in the spot he feels comfortable in. He is just to small to play Guard & he knows it. He has learned under an excellent Center in Sullivan. Just the way he see’s the field now is awesome in my eyes. I think we will watch him come into his own. Goff will stay in the pocket longer now that he knows he can trust Blythe picked up the delayed blitzer.

Edwards is still only 23 & had never played Guard before. He was on the fly learning & it took him awhile to feel comfortable. I think he shows big time improvement.

Big Rob came into camp FAT !! He never found his usually form.Having Edwards next to him will help him with his gams. Both Badgers will be at home next to each other.

Evans & who else become the depth ?? Brewer is out. I think Demby makes the roster again.

We can all Look back at 2019 the way we want to. I chose to think Game Film & Experience from last season is Priceless for the 2020 Offensive Line.

Todd Gurley is gone. My take was he takes to long to get his hand offs.That played a big part of the poor run game. Whatever it was ?? He is gone.

Cam Akers is going to be the wild card. If he comes in & takes over a the starting RB The Rams are in good shape.
Henderson’s growth should be expected. He is still very young,but got that much needed experience.The game will slow down for him.
Malcom Brown - dude is solid. Should still be a core special teams guy. If he is strictly a RB that means The Rams are in a good space.

Higbee - wow. His relationship with Goff is there.
Everett- looking for him to really be a go to WR/TE. He will get 6-12 balls a game depending on opponent & game situation.

WR- Woods/Kupp !! Great duo !!
Reynolds -prove it contract season.
I think he will be a nice part of the offense.
N. Webster is a guy who I think is being totally over looked. He flashed a lot in 2019. Preseason & KR/PR guy.Has good hands.

Jefferson brings great depth at the WR position,so if any of the WR’s get hurt he should be able to step right in.Great future Ram ??

I whole I think the team returning into core will be huge. I also think the play calling will be better.Plus just the experience Waldron & Kromer got as OC will help now that they have less responsibilities.

I wonder how things will look on game day in the booth & on the field ?? No more Mcvay sitting on the water cooler. Phillips ? Waldron ? Kromer ? Coen ?

Barry as DC type(RaRa guy) ?? He going to be a big support for Staley on D”

Can’t recall total booth last season ? Wade was a on the field guy.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I'm not as sold as you are on Blythe at C. We REALLY needed to address C in the draft and/or F/A, but didn't. I think that bites us this season. Best scenario is, Hav learns better technique than the ol' one armed choke hold he used until it got flagged last year as holding, Noteboom gets solid teaching from AW, Evans & Edwards grow into their own with possibly one of them taking over for Hav, and Blythe over-performing.
Covid will be the over-riding factor in EVERY team's future this season. This could be one of those asterisk* seasons. (i.e., strike shortened, PED scandal, etc.)