Rams need to look for a backup qb in the 2014 draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OhioRam

Rookie
This can has a lot of upset can nab him in the 2nd or 3rd.

he don't look as short as must people think he is he listed at 6'1
he can really fit the ball in there nice live arm

A55VA6

Legend
I like Aaron Murray. He gets alot of Drew Brees comparison probably because Murray is a smaller QB. I'd be happy if we got him.

fearsomefour

Legend
I like two guy that could be had (probably) later in the draft. David Fales, San Jose St QB and as Tron suggested in his mock draft Chuckie Keeton QB from Utah St. The more I think about it I think Tron is right in that Keeton could be had late in the draft due to his injury status. Love that pick.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love his quick release. The ball comes out like a slingshot.

fancents86

Starter
Whats his face from UCF. Good qb and has great patience, and I'm sure he'll be there in the third or fourth.

lockdnram21

Legend
i would rather try and get murray. i think he would be more suited to play if bradford isnt ready

duckhunter

Starter
Whats his face from UCF. Good qb and has great patience, and I'm sure he'll be there in the third or fourth.
Bortles is the kid's name. I'm warming up to him after watching a few games. Jrry says he doesn't come out but the kid is very good. He had a win yesterday, nothing spectacular but good #s. Were you able to see the shootout between Bortles and Bridgewater a couple of weeks ago? Great game. Classic. Could have gone either way and Bridgewater just edged him out at the end.

Heck, many of these QB prospects are NFL starter quality IMO and maybe better. So why limit ourselves to looking at a backup only. If a QB is best player on the board, I would hope they give him due consideration. Not a bad thing having two very good QBs on hand. Our season would not be over if we were better at the position.

Might be real hard to pass up Carr, Manzeil, Boyd or the UCLA kid in the first. The Oregon State kid's # are off the charts but he had a so-so game Saturday against Stanford. May have been playing injured. Even hearing the Hogan kid from Stanford getting 2nd round consideration. Mettenburger looks good at times and Murray and McCarron are winners and very smart.

I wouldn't bitch if the Rams fall in love with any of these guys and draft one even early. Good year to be adding a QB no matter what you think of Bradford.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bortles is the kid's name. I'm warming up to him after watching a few games. Jrry says he doesn't come out but the kid is very good. He had a win yesterday, nothing spectacular but good #s. Were you able to see the shootout between Bortles and Bridgewater a couple of weeks ago? Great game. Classic. Could have gone either way and Bridgewater just edged him out at the end.

Heck, many of these QB prospects are NFL starter quality IMO and maybe better. So why limit ourselves to looking at a backup only. If a QB is best player on the board, I would hope they give him due consideration. Not a bad thing having two very good QBs on hand. Our season would not be over if we were better at the position.

Might be real hard to pass up Carr, Manzeil, Boyd or the UCLA kid in the first. The Oregon State kid's # are off the charts but he had a so-so game Saturday against Stanford. May have been playing injured. Even hearing the Hogan kid from Stanford getting 2nd round consideration. Mettenburger looks good at times and Murray and McCarron are winners and very smart.

I wouldn't bitch if the Rams fall in love with any of these guys and draft one even early. Good year to be adding a QB no matter what you think of Bradford.

Personally, I wouldn't consider Mettenberger. Wouldn't take Boyd in the 1st. I'm really big on Bortles. Think he'll be a good NFL starter.

Hundley from UCLA reminds me of Locker. A lot of physical talent but very erratic from the accuracy stand-point and a lot of questions about his field vision and ability to process things quickly.

I'd certainly consider a QB if they're the best on my board.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Personally, I rate him as a 1st rounder. Some don't agree. Big time talent. He reminds me of Rich Gannon.

Last edited by a moderator:

duckhunter

Starter
Personally, I wouldn't consider Mettenberger. Wouldn't take Boyd in the 1st. I'm really big on Bortles. Think he'll be a good NFL starter.

Hundley from UCLA reminds me of Locker. A lot of physical talent but very erratic from the accuracy stand-point and a lot of questions about his field vision and ability to process things quickly.

I'd certainly consider a QB if they're the best on my board.

Agree on the Boyd kid. I've watched him and tried to like him but I'm really not that impressed.

Mettenberger has played himself into the 2nd or 3rd round but he has the tools and at times looks promising. Haven't given up on him yet though, must be some of that Hopium the government gives out. What's funny is he reminds me of Bradford.

I've read a lot on Hundley but can't bring myself to watch UCLA this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree on the Boyd kid. I've watched him and tried to like him but I'm really not that impressed.

Mettenberger has played himself into the 2nd or 3rd round but he has the tools and at times looks promising. Haven't given up on him yet though, must be some of that Hopium the government gives out. What's funny is he reminds me of Bradford.

I've read a lot on Hundley but can't bring myself to watch UCLA this year.

Mettenberger reminds me of Drew Bledsoe and Derek Anderson. Say what you will about Sam but that guy was incredible at throwing on the run in college. Mettenberger becomes completely inaccurate when forced to move. He's a spot thrower and if you push him off his spot, he makes a lot of bad decisions and throws.

Guy has a cannon for an arm, great height and a lot of accuracy when he can sit in a clean pocket and throw. But when he's pressured and when he's forced to work in a muddled pocket, he falls apart. He's just a statue.

I just am not a fan. Pocket presence/awareness/movement is one of the categories that is most important to me in rating QBs. As is poise/ability to make plays under pressure...and Mettenberger comes up majorly short in both categories.

But he'll be overdrafted because of his size and arm strength. That's why I want nothing to do with him.

On Boyd, I think he's David Garrard or Jeff Blake. Solid game manager and a good backup but I don't see potential for stardom. That makes him not worth a 1st round pick in my book. In the 3rd? Sure...if he's the best guy on the board.

These reasons are why I like Bortles so much. Has a small hitch in his throwing motion and will force some passes. However, he has great pocket presence and movement along with very good mobility and elite ability to throw on the run.(and he might throw most accurately rolling to his left which is odd for a right-handed QB) On top of that, he has all the physical tools required to be a NFL starter. I like him a lot. He's impressed me more than a lot of the guys getting more hype.

If you check out his game against UConn, he flat-out dominated that team while Bridgewater actually struggled a bit with them a week later. Bortles isn't Bridgewater though. But I think he's a very good prospect in his own right.

I also like Manziel but he needs a lot of coaching. Fundamentals are poor and he's not polished as a pocket passer.

duckhunter

Starter
Mettenberger reminds me of Drew Bledsoe and Derek Anderson. Say what you will about Sam but that guy was incredible at throwing on the run in college. Mettenberger becomes completely inaccurate when forced to move. He's a spot thrower and if you push him off his spot, he makes a lot of bad decisions and throws.

Guy has a cannon for an arm, great height and a lot of accuracy when he can sit in a clean pocket and throw. But when he's pressured and when he's forced to work in a muddled pocket, he falls apart. He's just a statue.

I just am not a fan. Pocket presence/awareness/movement is one of the categories that is most important to me in rating QBs. As is poise/ability to make plays under pressure...and Mettenberger comes up majorly short in both categories.

But he'll be overdrafted because of his size and arm strength. That's why I want nothing to do with him.

On Boyd, I think he's David Garrard or Jeff Blake. Solid game manager and a good backup but I don't see potential for stardom. That makes him not worth a 1st round pick in my book. In the 3rd? Sure...if he's the best guy on the board.

These reasons are why I like Bortles so much. Has a small hitch in his throwing motion and will force some passes. However, he has great pocket presence and movement along with very good mobility and elite ability to throw on the run.(and he might throw most accurately rolling to his left which is odd for a right-handed QB) On top of that, he has all the physical tools required to be a NFL starter. I like him a lot. He's impressed me more than a lot of the guys getting more hype.

If you check out his game against UConn, he flat-out dominated that team while Bridgewater actually struggled a bit with them a week later. Bortles isn't Bridgewater though. But I think he's a very good prospect in his own right.

I also like Manziel but he needs a lot of coaching. Fundamentals are poor and he's not polished as a pocket passer.

Thanks for the info on Mettenberger. I'll be watching for those things.

Since you mentioned Bortles at the beginning of the year, I've been watching him. If he comes out and is on the board with our first pick I'd have a hard time not taking him in spite of Bradford being on the roster.

Manziel played hurt yesterday and looks so good out of the pocket and on the move. He threw a couple of floaters yesterday on his long ball. He had hit his hand on a helmet but I had that opinion of his long ball prior to yesterday's game. Didn't hurt Kurt Warner that much. The kid may be injury prone but he is a gamer. I don't care if he is cocky. Would definitely consider him late in the first.

fancents86

Starter
I saw the UCF game against Louisville and I was very impressed with Bortles playing. I think the fact that he is from such a small college he might remain a little lower on the draft charts while all the top names get drafted first. If he played for a top team no doubt he would be a first rounder.