Rams met with Auburn WR Anthony Schwartz, who ran 4.26 in the 40

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams met with Auburn WR Anthony Schwartz, who ran 4.26 in the 40 (yahoo.com)

Cameron DaSilva
Thu, March 25, 2021
fcc1bde58c3a6944c1b4adec53f4dc41

The Rams brought in DeSean Jackson to be their deep threat on offense, but they may not be done adding speed to their receiving corps. They’ve met with a few draft prospects who can absolutely blaze down the field, including one who might be the fastest player in the entire 2021 class.

According to Justin Melo of The Draft Network, the Rams recently met with Auburn wide receiver Anthony Schwartz. At Auburn’s pro day, Schwartz ran a 4.26 in the 40-yard dash, which is incredibly fast, especially considering he’s 6-foot and 185 pounds.

He’s not a well-rounded receiver right now, but he has plenty of speed to stretch the field.
Justin M on Twitter: "An update on #Auburn WR Anthony Schwartz, who ran a blazing 4.26. He's recently met with the #Rams, #Bills, #Bengals, #Lions, #Vikings, #Ravens, #Cowboys & #Cardinals. Previously reported: #Patriots, #Seahawks, #Steelers, #Jets, #Chargers, #Colts, #Saints and #Titans." / Twitter

Here’s a look at Schwartz running his 40-yard dash, showcasing his speed.
Auburn Football on Twitter: "⚡⚡⚡⚡ 4️⃣.2️⃣6️⃣ unofficial for @TheRealF1ash. #WarEagle | @BBVA_USA https://t.co/FVth2pI4P9" / Twitter

Schwartz will be in the range of the Rams’ mid-round picks, potentially sneaking into the end of Day 2 as a third-round pick. Last season, he caught 54 passes for 636 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games, only averaging 11.8 yards per catch. He also carried the ball a lot at Auburn, rushing 42 times for 323 yards and seven touchdowns. As a versatile playmaker, he offers an intriguing skill set for any team that drafts him.

Psycho_X

Legend
Snead loves those Auburn players so not at all surprised by this and would put him at the top of expected players to be drafted by us because of that. The rushing numbers probably makes McVay hard too.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Snead loves those Auburn players so not at all surprised by this and would put him at the top of expected players to be drafted by us because of that. The rushing numbers probably makes McVay hard too.

Hope that Auburn bias doesn't lead to another Greg Robinson in terms of contribution. I'm sure McVay, O'Connell, Yarber (WR coach) are evaluating him as well though

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I have been talking about Schwartz for awhile based solely on his speed.

The question is where is the round he lands in? Draft experts prior to him running his 40 pegged him to be moving up in the draft. Everyone knew he was super fast but experts feel under the right coaching he could amount to something.

I have been saying we should get him, but he does take a slot away that we need for ILB - we need an upgrade and 4 of them are FAs next off-season. He would take away from our OL needs as well.

My guess he goes somewhere in the 3rd round. Not great stats but amazing speed.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rams met with Auburn WR Anthony Schwartz, who ran 4.26 in the 40 (yahoo.com)

Schwartz will be in the range of the Rams’ mid-round picks, potentially sneaking into the end of Day 2 as a third-round pick. Last season, he caught 54 passes for 636 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games, only averaging 11.8 yards per catch. He also carried the ball a lot at Auburn, rushing 42 times for 323 yards and seven touchdowns. As a versatile playmaker, he offers an intriguing skill set for any team that drafts him.

I can't find his catch percentage ratios amongst his stats, have you seen them ?

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I have been talking about Schwartz for awhile based solely on his speed.

The question is where is the round he lands in? Draft experts prior to him running his 40 pegged him to be moving up in the draft. Everyone knew he was super fast but experts feel under the right coaching he could amount to something.

I have been saying we should get him, but he does take a slot away that we need for ILB - we need an upgrade and 4 of them are FAs next off-season. He would take away from our OL needs as well.

My guess he goes somewhere in the 3rd round. Not great stats but amazing speed.
I am not impressed with his production. He only averaged approx 11 yards per catch. There are many more players with much higher averages per catch that don't run as fast as Schwartz.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I am not impressed with his production. He only averaged approx 11 yards per catch. There are many more players with much higher averages per catch that don't run as fast as Schwartz.
Yes I hear you, but look at Tyreke Hill.

He is faster than Tyreke - 4 26 vs Tyrekes 4.29.

He was good definitely not great at Auburn, but Tyreke didn't do much in college except for the return game 2nd in nation.

He can be developed. 4 26 is super fast and best of all we can probably get him in the 3rd round based on what I've read about where he is expected to go. I definitely would take a shot on him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, most of us are always cautious with Auburn players because Rams GM Les Snead is an Auburn alum that played football for them too, so as everyone felt the only reason the Rams drafted Sam Sloman because he went to Miami of Ohio like out beloved Head Coach in Sean McVay, one could think that Schwartz being a War Eagle could factor in...Some other info on Schwartz.

In three years at Auburn, Schwartz totaled 117 catches for 1,433 yards with six touchdowns. However, Schwartz’s three-year average of 12.2 yards per catch, combined with his speed he showcased on Pro Day could really get NFL teams excited about his potential. Former Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said last season that Schwartz became a complete receiver on the field.

“I think he has had an outstanding year,” Malzahn said. “It was good to see that deep ball (against LSU). He is a deep threat now and then earlier in the game, you know, we tried to get it to him and they kind of double-covered him with the safety on one, but we’re just finding ways to match him up one-on-one. Then, he is so deadly with the short game, too, and the perimeter game.”

As a former track athlete, Schwartz will likely be utilized in a variety of ways at the next level. NFL coaches will want to put his speed on the field and create mismatches for the opposing defenses. NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein believes that Schwartz has the traits to become a better receiver at the next level. He believes that he will be best served as a receiver that can operate in open space on different route concepts.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Didn’t the Rams get Chris Givens in round 4?

I love what Tyreke Hill does for the Queefs but Schwartz’s speed does not equal Hill necessarily. He could be more of a John Ross type. He’ll be over drafted if he goes in round three imo

Edit: I just watched his highlights. He doesn’t have the stop and go suddenness that Hill has. He needs too many steps to hit that top gear to be a YAC guy.

To take advantage of his speed he needs to be more of a straight line receiver and getting bumped at the line could slow him enough to make him less of a factor.

The way McVay's offense helps to scheme guys open maybe he’d be a real asset.

I’d like him on kick returns for sure.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'd just like to know what his target to catch ratio is before I commit.

dang

Legend
Yes I hear you, but look at Tyreke Hill.

He is faster than Tyreke - 4 26 vs Tyrekes 4.29.

He was good definitely not great at Auburn, but Tyreke didn't do much in college except for the return game 2nd in nation.

He can be developed. 4 26 is super fast and best of all we can probably get him in the 3rd round based on what I've read about where he is expected to go. I definitely would take a shot on him.
Tyrek can high point the ball, accelerate better than anyone in the NFL and is elusive with the ball in his hands. He is a complete offensive weapon well beyond just being a speed demon. I am weary of pure speed guys. There has to be more than just pure speed to succeed in the NFL.

TexasRam

Legend
Tyrek can high point the ball, accelerate better than anyone in the NFL and is elusive with the ball in his hands. He is a complete offensive weapon well beyond just being a speed demon. I am weary of pure speed guys. There has to be more than just pure speed to succeed in the NFL.
100%

The Raiders made this mistake for years. And we had our Kennison, Avery, Tavon etc

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

the closest player in the draft to Tyreke Hill is probably Rondale Moore. He’s got the suddenness and change of direction skills needed to be compared to Hill. But nobody from this draft will be Hill. He’s a physical freak.