Rams' Mason focused on 'doing me'/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Mason focused on 'doing me'
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c7522d34-37fa-5e28-979a-b63fe8b869bf.html

During the opening round of the NFL draft in late April, Rams running back Tre Mason was on a flight back to St. Louis.

Shortly after landing, he learned the Rams had selected University of Georgia running back Todd Gurley with the 10th overall selection.

“I was in shock, really, because I thought I did a good job last year,’’ said Mason, a third-round draft pick in 2014 who led the Rams in rushing and tied for the team lead in touchdowns last season as a rookie. “At that time, with a pick like that, it’s a replacement.’’

Mason eventually regrouped and got back to work, preparing for his second NFL season.

“At the end of the day, the goal is to win a championship and the only way I can do that is to just keep doing me, to become the best me I can be,’’ he said. “I’ll just continue to chase greatness. That’s been the mindset since school; find the record and go out and break it.’’

Mason, 21, capped a three-year stay at Auburn University by eclipsing Bo Jackson’s single-season rushing record with 1,816 yards while scoring 24 touchdowns in 2013. After being selected in the third round (75th overall) by the Rams and being inactive for last fall’s first four games, the 5-foot-8, 200-pound Mason led the Rams in rushing in each of the final 12 games of the season.

He ran for 765 yards, averaging 4.3 a carry, and added 16 catches for 148 yards. His five touchdowns, four on the ground and one through the air, tied tight end Lance Kendricks for the club lead.

“I felt like (my rookie season) went well,’’ Mason said last week after the final organized team activity at Rams Park. “Everything happens for a reason — God makes everything happen for a reason — and there’s always room for improvement. Overall, though, I thought I did well.’’

On draft day, Rams coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead surprised a lot of people around the league when they opted for Gurley, a gifted runner whose career at Georgia was cut short by ACL surgery on his left knee in November, and referred to him with terms like “special’’ and “unique talent.’’

On draft day, Fisher said: “We’ve got outstanding backs on our roster. (Gurley’s) gonna add to that group. When that happens, we don’t know. But he’s gonna be the running back of the future for a number of years.”

When healthy, the 20-year-old Gurley can be a game-changer, the type of every-down back with size (6-1, 227), power, speed, vision and balance that Fisher covets for his ball-control style offense. In three seasons at Georgia, he ran for 3,285 yards and caught 65 passes. His 44 career touchdowns are second in school history to the legendary Hershel Walker.

But when will Gurley be healthy enough to play? During OTAs, he went through daily rehab work with the Rams’ trainers, and he and the team have vowed patience.

“He’s in the meetings. He’s killing the rehab,’’ Fisher said during rookie orientation. “He’ll definitely know what to do when he’s able to go out there.”

Last week during OTAs, Fisher was asked if Gurley would be ready for the start of training camp, which begins in late July.

“It’s hard to say right now. I can’t predict that,” the coach said. “I know he’s doing well. He had a day off today because he’s doing so well. He’ll rehab with us during the break. ... We’re just going to see how he progresses. ... If he’s not PUP-ed (physically unable to perform), then I think you could probably assume that he’s going to play sooner than you think.”

If Gurley isn’t ready to go when the Rams open the season Sept. 13 against the visiting Seattle Seahawks, it figures that Mason would get the nod. And that is the second-year back’s focus.

“Realistically, it’s a competition because there’s usually just one running back out there at a time,’’ he said. “But honestly, that’s not my mindset. I can’t worry about anybody else; I have too much work to do. I’ve been working on my long-distance speed; I know I can burst through the hole, but I want to try and get more long runs this year.’’

After wrapping up OTAs, Mason returned home to Palm Beach, Fla. But this, he stressed, is no vacation.

“There’s no relaxation for me. None,’’ he said. “Right now I feel like I grind as if there is no more time on the clock, like there’s no tomorrow.’’

Mason, who has slimmed down to between 195 and 200 pounds by training and eating better to help improve his speed, will spend the next month or so working alongside cornerback and teammate Janoris Jenkins with trainer Tony Villiani at XPE Sports in Florida.

“A whole lot of top guys work out there — (New Orleans’) Mark Ingram, the Pouncey brothers (Miami’s Mike and Pittsburgh’s Maurkice), (Philadelphia’s) Byron Maxwell — and (Hall of Fame receiver) Cris Carter is a coach down there,’’ Mason pointed out. “It’s a great atmosphere because the trainers and the other guys there are constantly pushing you to get better and that’s what I’m looking for. And I need the sand, the beach, in my workouts.’’

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
My question is:

If Tre Mason has the hot hand the first 1-5 games and posting 100+ yard games do we replace or give Gurley a significant share of the load or keep Mason in?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I would prefer to red shirt him all of Sept and half of Oct (the closer or into Nov the better imho). Then still slowly work him into the line up. He's got the label as "special talent", so take it extra slow and make sure he's totally 100% really physically & mentally. Then second half of the season turn the keys over to Gurley. In turn he should be fresh for the playoff push "when we really need him".

Mason is okay but doesn't do well vs. tough run stuffing Def, and his yards after contact isn't good imho

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Gurley needs to start game one...I mean, I have a bet with Niner and Hawk fans that Gurley will gain 1500 yards, score 20 TD's, get the OROY, ROY, and MVP of the League this year..I mean, this is all about me....

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
ITS ALL ABOUT BEING ABLE TO WEAR THIS!!!!!

IMG_5138.JPG

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would prefer to red shirt him all of Sept and half of Oct (the closer or into Nov the better imho). Then still slowly work him into the line up. He's got the label as "special talent", so take it extra slow and make sure he's totally 100% really physically & mentally. Then second half of the season turn the keys over to Gurley. In turn he should be fresh for the playoff push "when we really need him".

Mason is okay but doesn't do well vs. tough run stuffing Def, and his yards after contact isn't good imho
His run after contact was actually one of the best in the league. Mason is a tough runner hard to bring down and he always fall forward, I know Gurley is better but he hasn't played in the NFL yet Mason has

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wouldn't even consider using Gurley if he isn't 100 percent ready to go. Mason can carry the load. He's fully capable of being a feature back.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
My question is:

If Tre Mason has the hot hand the first 1-5 games and posting 100+ yard games do we replace or give Gurley a significant share of the load or keep Mason in?

That one is easy, Corbin.

If Mason has the hot hand, he plays.

Gurley can wait to play indefinitely. Waiting a while would probably be good for him, anyway.

Mason with a hot hand would be the best of all possible worlds and a great "problem" to have, huh? Lol.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams' Mason focused on chasing greatness
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1557362-rams-mason-focused-on-chasing-greatness

ST. LOUIS — Tre Mason said he was on a plane flying back to St. Louis when he heard the Rams selected a running back, Todd Gurley, with their first-round pick on April 30.

“I was in shock, really,” the Rams’ running back said following the team’s final OTA practice session last week. “Because I thought I did a good job last year. And at that time, I’m thinking a pick like that, that’s a replacement. At the end of the day we’ve got to win a championship.”

Mason, who was a third-round pick in 2014, broke through a crowded backfield situation with the Rams to rack up 913 yards from scrimmage (765 rushing, 148 receiving) and five touchdowns in 12 games during his rookie season.

Now, after St. Louis picked Gurley and then traded Zac Stacy, he’s back to fighting to earn carries in another crowded backfield with Gurley and Benny Cunningham.

“Usually you have one running back on the field at all times, but that’s not really the mindset right now,” Mason said. “I just really want to win a championship. I’m a just do me, continue to be the best me I can be.”

The 21-year-old’s best is pretty good.

Mason led Auburn to a Southeastern Conference championship and a national championship game appearance in his final season with the Tigers. Then, after not appearing in the Rams’ first four games last season, he emerged as one of the best young running backs in the NFL.

He rushed for 85 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries in a Week 7 win over the Seattle Seahawks. He rumbled for 113 yards on 29 carries in a Week 11 victory over the Denver Broncos. He topped that in a 52-0 win against the Oakland Raiders in Week 13 when he rushed for 117 yards and scored three touchdowns, including an 89-yard scoring run.

Mason said he felt like he did well as a rookie, but he’s pushed this offseason to perform even better going forward.

“Just continue to chase greatness,” he said. “That was really the same mindset I’ve had since school. Find a record and break it. I know that’s going to take a lot of hard work and dedication. I kind of worked on my long-distance speed. I know I could really burst through the hole. I really want to stretch more long runs this year.”

At the conclusion of OTAs, Mason said he was headed back home to Florida to continue working on his speed. To that end, he said he has also lost some weight since last season.

“I felt like I was a little bit overweight in the beginning of the season last year,” Mason said. “I think that played a reason of why I wasn’t playing. I was around like 215 at the beginning of the season. Now I’m around 200, 195-200. Back to my self, my natural self, and eating a lot more healthy.”

Back to his natural self with one notable exception — his hair.

At some point this offseason Mason added some color to his trademark dreadlocks, which are now highlighted by a bleached blonde look.

“You have to put a little juice into it,” Mason explained, “a little swagarific things in there.”

The Rams picked Gurley to add some juice to their offense, but Mason is going to do whatever he can to make sure he’s still in the picture.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Mason better be cautious...I mean, if you did "well" no way in hell they draft Gurley. He did ok..so did Zac Stacy and you see where he is today...humble thy self young man...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Gurley can wait to play indefinitely. Waiting a while would probably be good for him, anyway.

Mason with a hot hand would be the best of all possible worlds and a great "problem" to have, huh? Lol.
Totally agree!

IF Mason is doing really well, there's no need to just bench him in favor of Gurley... why?

To me... you ride that horse as long as he'll go.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mason better be cautious...I mean, if you did "well" no way in hell they draft Gurley. He did ok..so did Zac Stacy and you see where he is today...humble thy self young man...
"After being selected in the third round (75th overall) by the Rams and being inactive for last fall’s first four games, the 5-foot-8, 200-pound Mason led the Rams in rushing in each of the final 12 games of the season.
He ran for 765 yards, averaging 4.3 a carry, and added 16 catches for 148 yards. His five touchdowns, four on the ground and one through the air, tied tight end Lance Kendricks for the club lead."

Maybe semantics... but I'd classify those results as doing "well".

Now, if he said he did "great"... yeah, I'd say maybe he needs to humble himself... but "well" seems reasonable to me.

Based on all I've read about this kid, he seems to have a level head... seems pretty humble to me.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!

Very good point and I'd love to have that problem! Lol especially in weeks 12-17! Can you imagine?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
765 yards, averaging 4.3 a carry,
looks average....but lets take into account a unsettled O-Line, stacked boxes, and QB's unable to threaten the defenses deep (weak arm scenario)...I can barely see well....but we did play the Raiders, Skins, Cowbowys, Eagles....some terrible run defenses...yeah Eagles & Cowboys were OK, but IMO are terrible when compared to the NFC West...What did Mason do vs the Cards, 9'ers, Hawks? Maybe I'll change my opinion...While he is a humble man, he needs to set his goals higher...1000 yards in minimum IMO, to be considered doing well...and definitely 4.5 or higher in ypc...I like 5.0 but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...weak O-Line and all...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My question is:

In this scenario, the smart move would be to ease Gurley in slowly!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
looks average....but lets take into account a unsettled O-Line, stacked boxes, and QB's unable to threaten the defenses deep (weak arm scenario)...I can barely see well....but we did play the Raiders, Skins, Cowbowys, Eagles....some terrible run defenses...yeah Eagles & Cowboys were OK, but IMO are terrible when compared to the NFC West...What did Mason do vs the Cards, 9'ers, Hawks? Maybe I'll change my opinion...While he is a humble man, he needs to set his goals higher...1000 yards in minimum IMO, to be considered doing well...and definitely 4.5 or higher in ypc...I like 5.0 but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...weak O-Line and all...
I'm not a fan of extrapolating but...

He started played in 12 games and rushed for 765 yards. That works out to just a tad over 1000 yards.
He started 9 games. That woould work out to 1,360.

Not that Gurley isn't a great prospect... but I thought Mason would do a very good job for the Rams at RB. For a rookie, I think he had a good year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am a big fan of Mason! The element here that figured into the Todd Gurley pick might be more involved as rest of the Ram RB'ers, not in any part of Mason' abilities.

Last seasons starting RB Benny Cunningham just did not perform the same as he did in the relief role in his rookie season. In 2013 he averaged 5.6 yards a carry in 2014 he averaged 3.7 a carry. Benny also lost two fumbles in critical times. Benny did show he was a good 3rd down back & can catch the ball well.

It was apparent that Zac Stacy was on his way out & it came real fast. Isaiah Pead blew out his knee & is still involved in rehabbing & not ready. I would think that the Ram Org. had inside information on the Tre Watts suspension. As far as Chase Reynolds even figuring in as a regular RB in the rotation doubtful.

So in conclusion our overall RB cadre may have had way too many questions that Snead & Fisher could live with. Mason's play & or abilities may have not entered the picture much.
P.S. it would not surprise me if the Rams end up with 3 new rookie RB's on this team.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
doubtful of three rookie RB's Bonifay, Gurley for sure, Mason, then there's Cunningham and hopefully a healthy Pead
train