Rams mailbag: On the draft, free agency and more/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: On the draft, free agency and more
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17396/rams-mailbag-on-the-draft-free-agency-and-more

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- After a busy week at the NFL owners meetings, St. Louis Rams fans on Twitter had plenty of questions, running the gamut from football matters to all things Los Angeles and relocation.

Simon Arnold @simonrarnold
If cooper or white fall do you see fisher going that way even with all the picks they have spent on wr in the past.

@nwagoner: I think it's a legitimate question to ask. Head coach Jeff Fisher discussed his comfort with the receiver position in Phoenix and he seems to be pretty content with the group in place. But it's also not out of the realm of possibility that the best player on the board would fall to 10, especially if one of those two somehow made it there. I still tend to think both Kevin White and Amari Cooper are gone, but either could offer the Rams a long-term No. 1 receiver. I also wonder if Fisher would be willing to take another receiver so high, given that Tavon Austin has yet to deliver on the promise of being the No. 8 pick a couple of years ago.

Scott Walker @ScottDavid13
Vic Beasley is the #1 pass rusher on a lot of boards. If he falls to 10, can rams find a spot for him? Seems best in 3-4

@nwagoner: As I wrote on Friday, it wouldn't be a surprise if the Rams drafted a defensive-end type at No. 10 if that player happens to be the best on their board. Fisher acknowledged the possibility and was pretty open about it. Obviously that's not the team's biggest need, but this is a draft rich in such players. Beasley seems better suited for a 3-4, I agree, but smaller pass-rushers have gained weight and become true defensive ends in the league before. Fisher had one in Tennesee in Jevon Kearse and had a lot of success with him. St. Louis did the same with Leonard Little. But your question gets to a bigger issue with taking a defensive end there. It has to be the right fit schematically and from an off-the-field standpoint.

Blake Tillman III @BKTIII
After Randy Gregory's failed test, if he drops do Fish/Snead seriously consider him if available at 10?

@nwagoner: It's certainly fair to wonder. As I mentioned above, it wouldn't be a surprise if the Rams looked at the position, and Randy Gregory is definitely a talented player. But he comes with both schematic fit questions and now off-the-field issues. It might be a best-case scenario for the Rams if all the top pass-rushers are picked before they come up at No. 10, as it would both remove temptation and push other talented players down to them.

wild-_-bill @Wild_Bill_STL
Do you believe Fisher has enough confidence in Barret Jones and Rhaney to compete to start at C w/ only 23 pro-snaps

@nwagoner: It's hard to imagine that the confidence would be that high in two players who have never started or offered any measure of game experience in the NFL. Barrett Jones was third-string all last season after another injury issue and Demetrius Rhaney didn't even make it through camp. At some point, you'd like to believe the Rams have done a good enough job developing some of these young linemen that they've invested all this time in that they can start. But it's hard to have that faith when they clearly haven't had enough confidence to play them. That said, it's possible the Rams might have to turn one of their openings over to a younger player because there are three, and center is the only one where they have options. Jones is intelligent enough to start right now, but the question is whether he can hold up physically. Also, confidence often extends only as far as how much better the team could do by upgrading. So if they found a center in the draft, for example, that confidence expressed in Jones and/or Rhaney now might not mean much.

RamsHerd @RamsHerd
How many 2015 starters do you think the Rams get from this year's draft? (o/u 2)

@nwagoner: It's a good question, though I'm throwing the challenge flag on setting an over/under at a number that doesn't include a half. Anyway, I think I'd probably still tend to lean toward the under. I don't think they'll be adding a defensive starter in the draft and it would appear that they're set at tight end, receiver, quarterback and running back with starters. That leaves the three current openings on the offensive line, but it would be a surprise if they didn't fill at least one of those spots by retaining tackle Joe Barksdale and/or signing a free agent or two. If a top receiver did fall and they drafted one, it's fair to think that player could start. Otherwise, two is probably the most they'd land, and both would probably come on the offensive line. But the guess here is the under. I'll go with one rookie starter and he comes somewhere on the offensive line.

Ram Jam @RamsFansUnite
Chances that the odd silence on Barks, Wis and Blalock is because Rams had all 3 lined up for after owners meetings?

@nwagoner: As I wrote earlier in the week, the opportunity to get some of those guys has only increased in recent days because none of them has signed anywhere. Prices are dropping and the draft is closer. Fisher acknowledged that something could get done with Barksdale soon enough and he's scheduled to return from his honeymoon over the weekend. But I think we've reached a point now where it's unlikely they'd sign all three. The salary-cap space isn't there to go with those guys, and the chance to convert end Robert Quinn's roster bonus to a signing bonus to save money has come and gone, as that bonus has already been paid. Fisher likes the draft class on the offensive line as well. So, best-case scenario, they could retain Barksdale, then add Blalock or Wisniewski. Blalock might be the easier and more sensible financial choice there, which means brings us full circle to the earlier question where the Rams would lean on Jones, Rhaney or a rookie at center.