Rams mailbag: Free agency underway/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: Free agency underway
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17055/rams-mailbag-free-agency-underway

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- When we last talked, free agency was upon us and we were discussing what might happen with the St. Louis Rams. Obviously, a lot has changed since which means there is plenty on your mind. So let's get to business. As always, if you have a question for the Twitter mailbag, you can hit me up there @nwagoner.

Justin Roeder @JRoeder24
Did the Rams and jake long talk about him moving to guard before he was released and what is the possibility he would

@nwagoner: They discussed options for Jake Long but the more likely option was right tackle than guard. And the possibility still exists that Long could come back on a cheaper, shorter deal but if that's going to happen, it won't be right away. Nobody is going to be in a rush to sign him at this point since they can let him rehab and get back to health before making a judgment on how he fits. Guess here is that Long gets a shot somewhere after the draft when teams can take stock of what they have on their respective offensive lines.

Mike Winchell @mswinchell
You agree that Barron/Ayers will be tag-teaming special packages next years, playing a more S/LB hybrid (blitzes galore)?

@nwagoner: I think you're on the right track. Gregg Williams likes to cook up different looks and use his moving pieces to his advantage. I think Akeem Ayers will play more than just as a situation pass-rusher -- his contract would indicate as much -- but that's still how he's best deployed. Having both will allow Williams to try different things.

Tyler Clark @DevilsPunch
After the trade how early do Rams take a QB in the draft? Do they move down in 1st round to acquire more picks?

@nwagoner: I'm not sold that the Rams are content at quarterback now, nor should they be. So I think just about anything is in play when it comes to quarterbacks. I wouldn't rule out a trade up, a trade down, anything. Remember, this is a group that was "devoted" to Sam Bradford as recently as a couple of weeks ago. This is the time of year when deception rules so can we really rule out anything at this point?

greg @smallgt
I'm finding it hard to care about the Rams since they don't care about St. Louis. Any suggestions?

@nwagoner: I can't and won't tell you how to feel. I completely understand how fans in Los Angeles and St. Louis feel. It's a trying situation all around. I'll say this: If this is your favorite team, just know that the players are working hard to try to win. For as much as they've struggled, they have a good group of guys in that locker room and guys that want to win. As Dave Peacock likes to say, you don't support an owner, you support a team.

50 shades of chin @jhoodswag
With Nick Fairly visiting is that an indication that Brockers is on his way out since his contract is up next offseason

@nwagoner: Obviously, by now Nick Fairley has signed with the Rams. But I wanted to take this question to clear this up now: It's all but certain that the Rams are going to exercise Brockers' fifth-year option by May. The Rams had zero depth behind Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald. This is no reflection of what the team thinks of Brockers.

Ryan @brRYANummer
Rams scored 11 rushing TD's last year, most since SJ39 had 13 by himself in 2006. Chances they top 11 in '15?

@nwagoner: Can I get back to you after I see who they add on the offensive line? They still have serious holes to fill there.

Ham No Burger @YoungLammy
how's @Bquick_SC doing with recovery?

@nwagoner: Haven't had a chance to speak with Brian Quick since December but then he was coming along pretty well. There have been no timetables or guarantees on his return yet but it seemed like he was on schedule. It's something we'll definitely monitor as the offseason conditioning program begins and we get closer to OTAs. It might be telling on Quick's status to see which direction the Rams go in the draft. He's also a free agent after next season. He's an important guy for this team this offseason and going into next year.

ben•thaoo @B_thao123
who we getting, Kevin White or Amari Cooper?!

@nwagoner: What if I told you that I don't believe either will be available when the Rams pick at No. 10? Talking to scouts and people around the league, my sense is that Kevin White and Amari Cooper are considered top-five players in the draft. That's not to say that guys like him haven't slipped that far down in the past but I tend to think these two won't.