Rams Made Right Decision with Bradford, Even if He Succeeds with Eagles/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Made Right Decision with Bradford, Even if He Succeeds with Eagles
By Anthony Stalter

http://www.101sports.com/2015/03/17...ith-bradford-even-if-he-succeeds-with-eagles/

Hop into the DeLorean… we’re taking a trip into the future.

It’s January, 2016 and the regular season in the NFL has just concluded. The playoffs are about to start and there’s Sam Bradford, preparing to lead the Eagles to their second wild card appearance in the past three years. The Rams, meanwhile, missed the postseason after Nick Foles helped engineer a .500 season.

It would be a nightmare scenario for Rams fans to finally watch Bradford put together a winning season and lead his team to the playoffs, yet in a completely different city. And while some hate to admit it, that scenario is entirely possible. Chip Kelly’s system is as quarterback-friendly as they come, and plays to Bradford’s strengths as a signal-caller. Just like at Oklahoma, he’ll have the ability to make quick reads and get the ball out of his hand quickly, or turn around and hand off to a talented running back in DeMarco Murray.

But even if that nightmare were to become a reality, the Rams still made the right decision in trading Bradford. First and foremost, none of us have the benefit of hindsight when it comes to making difficult decisions. If we did, the definition of “risk” would be useless. In that snapshot in time, the Rams made a decision to unburden themselves of Bradford’s contract and injury history, all while acquiring a capable starter in Foles and a second-round pick in 2016. It was the right decision at the time, just as it will be the right decision a year from now even if Bradford soars (sorry for the pun) and Foles fails (sorry for the alliteration).

Even if Bradford does soar (last time, I promise), there was no guarantee that he was going to post similar production in this city, with this Rams team, under this coaching staff. In order to have success, he may have needed a different environment under a completely different coaching staff. His 2015 season in Philadelphia and his hypothetical 2015 season in St. Louis aren’t mutually exclusive. Just because he’s able to stay healthy and productive with the Eagles doesn’t mean he would have done so in St. Louis.

And what if Bradford does have success in Philadelphia: what do the Eagles do then? If he leads the Eagles to the playoffs it might be an easy decision to sign him to a contract extension. But those two blown ACLs aren’t erased from his medical history. Handing an injury-prone quarterback another fat contract based on one good year doesn’t seem like a shrewd business decision.

This is why I used the term “unburden”. The Rams have completely unburdened themselves from the Bradford situation. The free agent options at quarterback were brutal and this year’s draft class is shallow at the position. They were stuck. Bradford was the best option and even with that being the case, the Rams would have had to hold their breath that he would stay healthy for an entire season. His contract also would have prevented them from eventually addressing needs along the offensive line and/or adding quality depth like Nick Fairly.

But now Bradford is Kelly’s problem (at least until he swings another trade that nobody sees coming). I don’t mean to be flippant: I felt bad for Bradford when he tore his ACL again after working his ass off to get ready for training camp last year. It wasn’t fair. In fact, his entire career in St. Louis wasn’t fair. It was as if the football gods used him as their go-to whenever they were in need of a cruel laugh.

I hope Bradford does succeed in Philadelphia.

But even if he does, the Rams made the right decision. Foles is still largely an unknown. His 2013 season was a thing of beauty, but turnovers and accuracy woes doomed his 2014 campaign long before the broken collarbone did. From a skill set standpoint, Bradford is a better passer than Foles if we’re comparing apples to apples.

But we’re not comparing apples to apples because one of those apples has browned in several places. The fact that Bradford has only played seven games the last two years, coupled with the reality that Foles won’t be running Bill Walsh’s West Coast Offense (which is to say the Rams’ offense is not complex), it was a no-brainer trade for the Rams.

I’ll say the same thing next year regardless of what transpires this fall.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Pretty much sums it up.
Best of luck Sam, you are a good dude and things just didn't go the way we all hoped.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I agree with all that except this bit

In order to have success, he may have needed a different environment under a completely different coaching staff.

All he needs to do is stay on his feet. Talent was never an issue.

RedAlice

UDFA
Name
Alice
It's a really odd thing re: Bradford.

I have wanted him to not be a Ram for so long, it was a really odd physical reaction when I learned it.

I was just coming off a 7 day water fast. I was actually at the store buying veggies to juice when this all happened and I didn't see it til later in the day. (btw, this is not normal for me, was just part of re-eating after the fast).

I cannot explain the feeling when I saw the information. It was a physical emotion of sheer joy. I only read one tweet, then confirmed then: the physical experience was like exciting, joyful - i can only explain as physical Joy.

Then I went and read and learned about it, and all is normal. But, muy integral, physical response was something I have not experienced re Rams since Jan 30 2000.

I actually adore and love the Eagles and curently spend a lot of time in Philly. X is doing a great job of chatting w their fans. I loe that town, i do like the Eagles.

I wish B the absolute BEST. I hope he wins all except v Us. And, It is like fresh air or something that is exciting for us now......

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
yea he had injury problems. but a lack of receivers early on, a shitty line and poor offensive coaching all added to increasing his odds of injury and failure

V3

Hall of Fame
yea he had injury problems. but a lack of receivers early on, a crappy line and poor offensive coaching all added to increasing his odds of injury and failure
No one's arguing that. The point is that it was wise to get rid of Bradford because even if he does well next year, you still have to worry about injuries for the rest of his career(next contract).

It was wise to not have to worry about whether to deal with that kind of risky contract.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Well put by Slater, at the end of the day we got a QB who has one at this level has an above average arm throws the deep ball well and a lot healthier then Bradford. His contract has also allowed us to get more pieces so its time to move on and hope for an above .500 season.

fearsomefour

Legend
What he is saying is the move makes sense. Hate to say it, if Bradford goes on and plays 10 more years and wins a title and puts up big numbers the Rams got it wrong.
No way around that. Something making sense AND not working out happens all the time.
I wish Bradford well and I hope it works out well for the Rams but I am not optimistic.
The move makes sense. No guarantee the team got it right.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How would it be a good thing if Sam has a great year & Foles sucks here? Please explain this to me? How can giving away a more talented player be a GOOD thing? Oh, cause of injuries & contract? The next guy on here that pays a Rams players salary, let me know what it hit for.....And Foles has been injured his first 3 seasons....hand, ankle, and collarbone...and missed time....some of you guys....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stalter pretty much nails it. My take is that Bradford will do well under Kelly and it's not really even a question. The only question is whether he's on the field.

Hopefully when we meet the Eagles in the playoffs our defense will be primed and ready to shut him and that offense down.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
No one's arguing that. The point is that it was wise to get rid of Bradford because even if he does well next year, you still have to worry about injuries for the rest of his career(next contract).

It was wise to not have to worry about whether to deal with that kind of risky contract.
I wasn't arguing against the trade. my point was more of an indirect reply to flv that the coaches, system and location were very much of a factor.

V3

Hall of Fame
I wasn't arguing against the trade. my point was more of an indirect reply to flv that the coaches, system and location were very much of a factor.
Ah. No quotes so I didn't know you were responding directly to flv.

Irish

Starter
What he is saying is the move makes sense. Hate to say it, if Bradford goes on and plays 10 more years and wins a title and puts up big numbers the Rams got it wrong.
No way around that. Something making sense AND not working out happens all the time.
I wish Bradford well and I hope it works out well for the Rams but I am not optimistic.
The move makes sense. No guarantee the team got it right.
That is not necessarily true. Lots of guys find success with different teams then the ones that originally drafted them. Bradford could not succeed here because he is too brittle, and he has played for coaches that do not prioritize Offensive line. He was asked to just manage the game, hand the ball off, and don't throw picks. The Rams will ask Foles to do the same thing, but they are banking on Foles being more durable. Serviceable QB play last year would have made the team more of a contender, and they are banking on that in Foles. Bradford is going to a team where he will be asked to make all of the throws, run a high tempo offense, and score points. If he gets good line play in front of him, he may do it, but his career has shown that he is not durable in the least.

Shoulder in college
Ankle
ACL 1
ACL2

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I disagree.

But, if he stays healthy and has a good year and the Eagles get into the playoffs and the Rams Foles-led offense continues to sputter, I think there can be little doubt what the "problem" is in St. Louis.