Rams LT Greg Robinson recovering from toe surgery/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams LT Greg Robinson recovering from toe surgery
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16481/greg-robinson-recovering-from-toe-surgery

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- While speaking to reporters Friday at the scouting combine in Indianapolis, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher revealed that tackle Greg Robinson underwent offseason toe surgery.

Robinson, whom Fisher has already declared is his starting left tackle moving forward, apparently dealt with the toe injury the final couple of weeks of the season but is already back on the road to recovery.

In fact, Fisher said Friday that Robinson has been at Rams Park pretty much every day since the end of the season rehabilitating.

"He had some offseason surgery, so he's in the building every day," Fisher said. "And he comes to the building every day not worrying about going on the practice field and making a mistake. He comes in the building every day learning how to be a pro.

"He's had to take a deep breath, rehab and learn. I think you'll see significant improvement."

Robinson, of course, was the No. 2 overall pick in last year's NFL draft. At the time, the Rams took him with the belief that he would be their left tackle long term but probably play inside in the early stages of his career.

As it turned out, Robinson took about a quarter of the season before he broke the starting lineup anywhere, making his first start in Week 6 against San Francisco on "Monday Night Football." After Robinson made just three starts at left guard, starting left tackle Jake Long suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 8 against Kansas City.

Robinson moved outside to left tackle and finished the season there. As you'd expect from a rookie tackle in need of major polish, Robinson has his ups and downs. But he showed enough to expedite the process of becoming the left tackle.

"One of the reasons we took Greg was because we knew he's got a future home at left tackle," Snead said. "But at the point in time Jake was healthy, we were going to put him at guard because he was one of our best five, and we thought that would only help him evolve as he adjusted to our NFL game. But at this point in time, he'll stay at left tackle and go from there."

Meanwhile, Long is coming back from a second consecutive ACL surgery and could be in line for a potential pay cut or an outright release. The Rams will almost certainly look to reduce Long's $10.5-million salary cap number. Whether he returns or not could also correlate to what happens with pending free agent right tackle Joe Barksdale.

Since Robinson is penciled in as the left tackle, Fisher has said that the Rams have talked about other options for Long should they bring him back.

"I don't know what it looks like," Fisher said. "If he comes back and he's 100 percent, then he'll have a chance to be a part and contribute to what we're doing. There are possibilities that we've discussed."

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That makes a lot of sense as to why he struggled in the last two games. You can't really move all that well on a bad toe, and if it's a nagging injury, then it will affect your concentration.

I've had blisters on my feet where the skin was literally peeling off (including right fucking now), and I couldn't focus on anything. A damaged toe is going to utterly wreck concentration.

Irish

Starter
They didn't come out and call it turf toe, which I guess is a good sign.

Turf toe ruins careers.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
The thing is he played in big pain. Very positive. He is a gamer. He and Mathews will be the cream of the last 2 years of OL. He is just like Rams OL... Will go out there NO MATTER WHAT THE PAIN OR INJURY UNTIL YOU CARRY ME OFF THE FIELD.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They didn't come out and call it turf toe, which I guess is a good sign.

Turf toe ruins careers.
They may not have called it that, but I'd guess he has something just like it due to his size, and the surgery...probably wasn't severe at the time...if it was the big toe, and was caused by it jamming into the front of his shoe, I'd be very concerned. I AM very concerned...

Irish

Starter
The thing is he played in big pain. Very positive. He is a gamer. He and Mathews will be the cream of the last 2 years of OL. He is just like Rams OL... Will go out there NO MATTER WHAT THE PAIN OR INJURY UNTIL YOU CARRY ME OFF THE FIELD.

Only, that is in no way positive. If you are hurt, don't play. Get better. The Rams invested the number 2 overall pick in you, this isn't a macho competition. If the dude is hurt and this persists, it could be devastating to the Rams.

You can't miss on both the number one overall and the number two overall pick in 2 out of 4 drafts and hope to ever become a legit team.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Only, that is in no way positive. If you are hurt, don't play. Get better. The Rams invested the number 2 overall pick in you, this isn't a macho competition. If the dude is hurt and this persists, it could be devastating to the Rams.

You can't miss on both the number one overall and the number two overall pick in 2 out of 4 drafts and hope to ever become a legit team.

I don't think his teammates would ever respect him again if he stepped out and forced Saffold to take his place when he could still play, albeit not as high of a performance. Besides, who would you rather have: an injured Robinson and Saffold manning the two left spots or Saffold at left tackle and, say, Person, at left guard?

mike_2133

UDFA
I don't think his teammates would ever respect him again if he stepped out and forced Saffold to take his place when he could still play, albeit not as high of a performance. Besides, who would you rather have: an injured Robinson and Saffold manning the two left spots or Saffold at left tackle and, say, Person, at left guard?
At the point where the season was effectively over, I definitely wouldn't want him in there.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

everyone plays hurt. this is not a game for people who can't play through pain.

Memento

Name
Jemma
At the point where the season was effectively over, I definitely wouldn't want him in there.

My apologies. I didn't mean as an option then; I meant as an option period. And I stand by my point that fellow offensive linemen would immediately stop respecting a rookie if he decided that he was too hurt to play without Fisher's confirmation. They would think of him as "soft", and no offensive lineman with any sort of self-respect wants to be thought of as soft.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Pain is one thing, turf toe is completely different.

Like I said above, turf toe has destroyed careers.

We don't know that it's turf toe.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I've had blisters on my feet where the skin was literally peeling off (including right freaking now), and I couldn't focus on anything. A damaged toe is going to utterly wreck concentration.

Sounds like you need bigger shies since you keep getting these blisters lol..

Memento

Name
Jemma
Sounds like you need bigger shies since you keep getting these blisters lol..

Nah, my shoes are almost too big, lawl. It's just that I've had them for almost two years.