Rams love their depth on offensive line, may want to supplement it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-713419-last-draft.html

o65z19-b88696850z.120160424173412000gfdg63jo.10.jpg

This is the fifth in a series of stories examining who the Rams might draft at each position group leading into their first season back in Los Angeles. Next is a look at available offensive linemen, should the Rams feel the need to further protect their soon-to-be new quarterback.

The Rams, planning ahead, secured the bodyguards long before they selected the body.

Whether it is Jared Goff or Carson Wentz joining the Rams this week, the new quarterback will need some help. It wouldn’t be shocking to see the Rams use one of their other four draft picks on an offensive lineman, but the team stocked up on that position a year ago.

In 2015, the Rams picked up tackle Rob Havenstein (second round), guard Jamon Brown (third), tackle Andrew Donnal (fourth), guard Cody Wichmann (sixth) and tackle Isaiah Battle (supplemental pick). All five linemen were either starters or primary backups as rookies last season.

“I’ve said this for a long time, we were able to accomplish it last year,’’ Coach Jeff Fisher said recently. “I’ve always wanted to draft four or five offensive linemen in the same draft and we did that. They all got to play and all developed. A need now becomes a strength for us.’’

There’s still some work to do, though. The Rams’ line allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL last season and blocked for a 1,000-yard rusher in Todd Gurley, but the team could benefit from some health and consistency. Injuries forced the Rams to shuffle the line several times last season.

The Rams caught a break last month when starting center Tim Barnes re-signed for two years, a few days after he hit the market as an unrestricted free agent. The idea of bringing along a rookie quarterback with a new center might have been daunting.

And while last year’s draft haul gave the Rams enviable depth, there’s still one big question: is Greg Robinson the long-term answer at left tackle?

Drafted with the No. 2 overall pick in 2014, Robinson was publicly criticized by Fisher last year but seemed to show improvement late in the season. There’s still plenty of time for him to grow, but as Robinson heads into his third season, the Rams would like to see a marked improvement.

If not, a player such as guard Rodger Saffold might be able to transition to tackle. That’s the value of depth, and it will be interesting to see if the Rams are tempted to add to it during this week’s draft.

“We now have a lot of young guys who have started games,’’ General Manager Les Snead said last month, “and that's going to be organic, built-in competition, because they've now all tasted playing in that starting unit and they want to play there.

“The other thing is, the guys who don't make it to the starting five, you can go to bed at night knowing that if there is another injury, and there always is in our league, we have a viable candidate that can come right in and play.’’

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think our O-line depth is fine. They just need time to develop and get some game experience. Another late round rookie O-lineman is not going to make or break the new QB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams are truly in fine shape in our OL in this upcoming 2016 season. The OLT post looks fat with four possible Robinson/Williams/Battle/Saffold so I see no real concerns there. The ORT post has Havenstein/Donnal/Reynolds. The OLG post also looks fat with Reynolds/Brown/Saffold. The ORG Wichmann/Saffold/Donnal/Reynolds is OK too.

The only position of some concern is the reserve depth behind center Tim Barnes. In truth Snead has a sizeable number of reserve type centers behind Barnes with Rhaney-Kush-Folkerts & Arkin. So there will be some serious competition in TC & pre season to secure that spot on the master roster. They could also attempt to add a more talented center through the draft. The 6th round where they have two selections would be good spot for a pure center type like Evan Boehm or a interior versatile OL'er (Boudreau type) like Graham Glasgow.

If it were my decision I would keep my main attention on the offense with primarily looking for pass catchers (WR/TE/Move-H-back). Secondary would be a CB followed by a center.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Rams are truly in fine shape in our OL in this upcoming 2016 season. The OLT post looks fat with four possible Robinson/Williams/Battle/Saffold so I see no real concerns there. The ORT post has Havenstein/Donnal/Reynolds. The OLG post also looks fat with Reynolds/Brown/Saffold. The ORG Wichmann/Saffold/Donnal/Reynolds is OK too.

The only position of some concern is the reserve depth behind center Tim Barnes. In truth Snead has a sizeable number of reserve type centers behind Barnes with Rhaney-Kush-Folkerts & Arkin. So there will be some serious competition in TC & pre season to secure that spot on the master roster. They could also attempt to add a more talented center through the draft. The 6th round where they have two selections would be good spot for a pure center type like Evan Boehm or a interior versatile OL'er (Boudreau type) like Graham Glasgow.

If it were my decision I would keep my main attention on the offense with primarily looking for pass catchers (WR/TE/Move-H-back). Secondary would be a CB followed by a center.

If a guy like Glasgow or Boem are available in the sixth, I'd be happy to take one. Both have fourth-fifth round grades with me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If a guy like Glasgow or Boem are available in the sixth, I'd be happy to take one. Both have fourth-fifth round grades with me.
If things remain the same JackDRams as the past few decades of drafts...Centers do have the tendency to fall down the draft boards. Whereas OT's rise real high & OG's meander all over but slightly trend down too.

IMO Centers, SSLB'ers, FB's/H-backs, LOS blocking TE's, Strong Safeties kind of fall into the same trending falling IMO. Thus smart Snead types might be able to maximize a draft when you have 4 out of 5 Ram draft selections being last day picks.:sadwalk:

P.S. I have read that Rodger Saffold was the first Ram to enter the new facilities in LA & working over the weights. Proclaiming his 100% healthy mantle ......I will be looking for photos of RS from this point on due to my suspensions' that he has lost a ton of weight & physical size(Bulk) due to the back to back both shoulder reconstruction surgeries in 2015. Point is the loss of bulk may not be a bad thing hereo_O....IF a lighter RS is back to playing his slimmer college rookie season weight 310-313 pounds he could play a vital role as a veteran top game day OLT/ORT reserve! Especially if veteran Garrett Reynolds wins one of the starting OG post as I fully expect & letting 2nd yr OG's Jamon Brown & Cody Wichmann fight it out for the other starting OG post.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Garret Reynolds was a great FA addition. He played well and was valueable to GRob. He's the starter at LG.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If not, a player such as guard Rodger Saffold might be able to transition to tackle.

I love this part. Apparently the author doesn't realize that Saffold is a tackle who transitioned to guard. I love when they write articles that show they don't actually know anything about the Rams.

TexasRam

Legend
I have Zero confidence that Grob will turn it around this year. I really really hope he does but would put money on him getting benched by game 4.

If Saffold is back we may have an oline for our rookie QB.

Our best oline from gamefilm and PFF grades would be:

Saff/Reyn/Barnes/Wich/Haven

And hopefully we can draft an upgrade Barnes at center, our weakest position.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
The Rams have the potential to have a great oline with very good depth. The lone weakness remains to be center, may they will get lucky with one of their late round picks a land a great center.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yer on Texas. What are the stakes? GRob will prove his worth, and barring injury, will play all 16 games. also, Brown will start ahead of Wichman at RG.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I have Zero confidence that Grob will turn it around this year. I really really hope he does but would put money on him getting benched by game 4.

If Saffold is back we may have an oline for our rookie QB.

Our best oline from gamefilm and PFF grades would be:

Saff/Reyn/Barnes/Wich/Haven

And hopefully we can draft an upgrade Barnes at center, our weakest position.

I'd take that bet.

All in.

I think our OL will be GRob/Saff/Barnes/Brown/Haven

If they're smart, they'll play the expected OL a lot in preseason to give them plenty of time together...