Rams Looking At Depleted Starting Roster Against LA Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams will be without some key starters on Saturday. How will it affect game strategy?
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/...njuries-cooper-kupp-robert-quinn-tavon-austin

The Los Angeles Rams will be without some key starters on Saturday when they take on the Los Angeles Chargers at the Coliseum.While there are no official injury reports required in the preseason, here’s who’s confirmed out and who’s on the fence.

Out
WR Cooper Kupp
We learned this one yesterday to much sadness. Kupp will miss Saturday with a groin injury.
First, let’s hope this is all he misses and that come the practices ahead of Week 1, Kupp’s not even on the injury report.As for the game itself, we’ll have to see who gets the work in his stead. Kupp was a clear component of the starting offense last weekend against the Oakland Raiders, so we’ll have to see who the coaching staff tabs to work alongside WR Sammy Watkins and WR Robert Woods.

WR Tavon Austin

Austin underwent wrist surgery in May and has yet to factor in the Rams’ preseason. He’s now dealing with a hamstring injury to boot. At this point, it’s worth considering the long-term implications at play here. Will Austin be available Week 1? How long before the Rams simply move on from Austin as a component in the offense overall?

ILB Mark Barron
Barron’s been unavailable as well with an indisclosed issue and will not feature in any preseason action.Barron, like Austin, signed a major contract extension a year ago. Like Austin, he now heads into the regular season with legitimate injury concerns.

CB Nickell Robey-Coleman
The Rams’ primary slot corner is out again this weekend. I’d be surprised if we see him before Week 1.

Questionable
OLB Robert Quinn, CB Kayvon Webster
Lumping both of these together. We haven’t seen either this preseason, and both are up in the air on Saturday. Rams Head Coach Sean McVay talked about how Quinn is one of multiple veterans on a “maintenance program” that limits his availability in general.

At this point, it might just be wiser to take the cautious route and sit both in advance of Week 1, but we’ll see if either are on the field this weekend.

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin and Barron headed for IR?
Nah. Austin has a hamstring injury. I remember danario alexander ehrn he had hammy injuries. He'd always rush to get back want then the hammy would tweak. Hammy's aren't to be taken lightly so mcvay is just playing it safe with him. Idk what's going on with Barron

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of two things is happening with Austin

Either he is being held because there is a trade forthcoming
Or
Mcvay is gonna unleash the gadget man alllllll over the colts

JRobinson

MiLB
Well one thing is for sure. McVay and Reggie have obviously had a few convos on how they want to handle injury situations. I also like the 'maintenance program' that McVay speaks of all the time. At least McVay isn't vague with the injuries that occur with out guys to the media; I appreciate that.

While I'd like to see these guys play as a full unit, I'm honestly more stoked to see more action from the reserves against starters to see where they measure up. And God forbid, we are bound to have someone go down during the season potentially; so these are valuable reps for these reserves and the Rams as a whole.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nickell they're protecting since he is a key guy they'll be depending on this season. Same with Quinn and Webster. Kupp is ready for the season, no need to risk him any further as he is a key offensive piece.

Tavon I still think is being dangled for trade. Still believe there's a good chance he'll be moved. He has yet to do a damn thing with this staff on the actual field and show what he can do or how he fits, so for me that has to be considered against the fact that his drawbacks (poor hands and route running) are not fits for this offense.

Barron it's hard to say. Never did like the projection for him to play inside in this defense. He is a freelancer and seems to suffer when he has to think at all or play within a disciplined approach. I don't think he's a fit in this defense so maybe they're exploring trades for him or trying to get him where he needs to be mentally, similar to Tavon. Both might be kept around this season being well paid but not necessarily good fits for this regime, but if so it might be because the Rams couldn't find a good trade partner.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh and btw it's going to be interesting to see who Goff's security blanket will be in Kupp's absence. I would think Woods will be the guy, particularly since Watkins should draw the attention. But Pharoah has a good chance in this game to step up and be that guy as well as the TEs.

I'll be honest, I'm a little concerned with the OL matchups with the Chargers' DL. But hopefully they'll be ready to go.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nah. Austin has a hamstring injury. I remember danario alexander ehrn he had hammy injuries. He'd always rush to get back want then the hammy would tweak. Hammy's aren't to be taken lightly so mcvay is just playing it safe with him. Idk what's going on with Barron

Do you remember a player named Isaac Bruce ?

JRobinson

MiLB
I'll be honest, I'm a little concerned with the OL matchups with the Chargers' DL. But hopefully they'll be ready to go.

I can definitely understand your concern with this particular match up. But for me, the holes will be exposed on our OL if there are any. We are going to find out how improved the line is, the right side in particular.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Oh and btw it's going to be interesting to see who Goff's security blanket will be in Kupp's absence. I would think Woods will be the guy, particularly since Watkins should draw the attention. But Pharoah has a good chance in this game to step up and be that guy as well as the TEs.

Woods & Goff worked way before Kupp even drafted.
P. Copper has already put in more time than any WR.has.

Did you see Sammy on that 3rd down catch ??

Reynolds needs reps.

Ram65

Legend
Questionable
OLB Robert Quinn, CB Kayvon Webster
Lumping both of these together. We haven’t seen either this preseason, and both are up in the air on Saturday. Rams Head Coach Sean McVay talked about how Quinn is one of multiple veterans on a “maintenance program” that limits his availability in general.

They gotta play Quinn eventually........don't they?

I thought for sure he would get reps this week. Seems risky waiting to opening game to play him.

How much has he practiced? Anyone

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wouldn't put too much into it. Proven players typically are held out of preseason games even with slight injuries that wouldn't keep them out of regular season games. McVay is calling it "preventative maintenance".

I have a feeling Barron and Quinn will be ready to go against the Colts. Webster I'm not sure of because I wouldn't count him as a proven player. Unless Wade has that much confidence in him that he doesn't need the reps as much as the rest.

Austin might be a concern. He hasn't had time in this offense. Where he's at in the injury progress come Sept 10 might tell us a lot about what they're plans are for him.

As far as Kupp, I think they know he's going to figure heavily in their plans. He can rest until the season and be just fine. In the meantime I'd really like to see them feature Reynolds this game. He could be one of those hidden gems with his ability to go after the ball and win those 50/50 battles.

Big Game

Living The Dream
One of two things is happening with Austin

Either he is being held because there is a trade forthcoming
Or
Mcvay is gonna unleash the gadget man alllllll over the colts

i was thinking the same thing maybe McVay doesn't want to showcase how he will use Austin. come September 10 we will see.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Love McVay's approach to handling the preseason: he's distributing reps to players well. Fisher had issues with that country club atmosphere, veterans get first dibs treatment. Just hoping the scheme these past two games is vanilla because it looked like something I would see in regular season NFL offenses.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yeah but I was very young. What's the story
Love McVay's approach to handling the preseason: he's distributing reps to players well. Fisher had issues with that country club atmosphere, veterans get first dibs treatment. Just hoping the scheme these past two games is vanilla because it looked like something I would see in regular season NFL offenses.

He basically lost the '97 and '98 seasons due to hammy issues. He went too hard in practice, too soon, and they would always flare up again, and he missed a ton of games both years. Finally in '99 Vermeil got smart and put the brakes on Bruce during training camp/preseason and practice in general. Bruce ended up playing the whole season without issue, right up to the very last offensive play (which, incidentally, was Bruce catching the winning TD pass in SB XXXIV).

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
i was thinking the same thing maybe McVay doesn't want to showcase how he will use Austin. come September 10 we will see.

If this were the case, he could just use TA differently in preseason to unleash him in a surprise role once the regular season starts. IMO, the Rams are looking for a trade. Doubt if anyone would be willing to take on his salary for 2017 though. Honestly what could McVay have seen in TA that none of us have? I'm not saying that any of us could be seen as a up and coming HC in the NFL, just that its pretty unanimous that TA has not done anything in his career to show he is worth the contract he got last year. And if he hasnt practiced, how could McVay honestly evaluate how to best utilize TA?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
He basically lost the '97 and '98 seasons due to hammy issues. He went too hard in practice, too soon, and they would always flare up again, and he missed a ton of games both years. Finally in '99 Vermeil got smart and put the brakes on Bruce during training camp/preseason and practice in general. Bruce ended up playing the whole season without issue, right up to the very last offensive play (which, incidentally, was Bruce catching the winning TD pass in SB XXXIV).

IIRC, Bruce never had hammy issues again. I always wondered if winning had anything to do with his ability to keep his hammys healthy. But as I've grown older/wiser it seems rediculous to question Bruces character.