Rams like what they are seeing from WR Brian Quick/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams like what they are seeing from wideout Brian Quick
By Nate Latsch

http://msn.foxsports.com/midwest/st...ey-are-seeing-from-wideout-brian-quick-061914

Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer praised wide receiver Brian Quick when he met with the media following Tuesday's OTA session.

"I'll tell you what, probably the most improved player I've seen is Brian Quick," Schottenheimer said. "He's doing a great job. Another guy that we're giving an opportunity to. He's competing for playing time. He's made the most of his opportunities. He started today. Again, just moving guys around, in and out of the lineup, trying to create competition and he's stepped up and again -- like Kenny (Britt) -- and made a lot of big plays for us."

The Rams' second-round pick in the 2012 Draft, Quick has failed to make much of an impact for St. Louis after his first two NFL seasons with a total of 29 catches for 458 yards and four touchdowns in 31 games.

But Schottenheimer's words were welcomed by the Appalachian State product, who ranked seventh on the team in receptions in 2013.

"Oh, man," Quick told FOXSportsMidwest.com on Thursday. "It was an honor to see my work get noticed. I couldn't ask for more. I'm just going out here every day loving what I'm doing, just coming to work every day giving everything I've got. It was an honor for him to say that."

What has the wideout done well during OTAs?

"I'm not thinking out there," he said. "I'm playing fast. I'm being competitive, being more physical, and I'm just having fun. Just knowing what you're doing makes it a lot easier on yourself."

The key for Quick will be turning his success during OTAs into more tangible successes when training camp starts next month and then during the regular season this fall.

Until then, of course, talk is cheap.

But Rams coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead have shown that they believe in their group of receivers. They signed former first-round pick Kenny Britt this offseason, along with former Mizzou standout T.J. Moe, but did not use a draft pick on a wideout when many were banging the drum for Clemson playmaker Sammy Watkins.

"I've been asked this numerous times, 'Why didn't you draft a receiver?' Well, we drafted two each of the last two years and they are coming on," Fisher told FOXSportsMidwest.com. "So we felt like we had other needs."

The Rams selected Quick in the second round and then Chris Givens in the fourth in 2012 and Tavon Austin at No. 8 overall and his West Virginia teammate, Stedman Bailey, in the third round of the 2013 draft.

All have shown flashes of potential but are far from proven commodities.

Whether that group can step up and produce, which will go hand in hand with quarterback Sam Bradford's development and effectiveness, will be one of the biggest storylines to watch for the Rams in 2014.

Quick believes that they can.

"We just have to be tuned in," he said. "We have to be focused. Together. We have to come together, just come as one, execute and make sure we make plays. We're playmakers. That's why they didn't draft any receivers, because they believe in us. On that note, we're going to do what we have to do and we're going to make the coaches proud."

Quick knows it's also time for him to produce.

He's not going to magically morph into Bears' 1,000-yard receiver Alshon Jeffery -- a player the Rams passed on when they took Quick -- but that doesn't mean the 6-foot-3, 218-pounder can't emerge as a key playmaker in the St. Louis passing game.

He has high expectations for his third NFL season.

"Man, I'm going to go out there and I'm going to try to kill it," Quick said. "Make sure we go to the playoffs. Whatever we have to do, whatever I have to do, I'm going to give it my all. That's my goal, just put it all on the field and give it all. Lay it all on the line for the coaches, especially for Coach Fish, and Les Snead. Just make sure everything is crisp and make sure they have confidence in me to go out there."

ausmurp

Starter
I've given up on Quick by now. But great news if he can come on. Regardless this is BS from the coach because Britt is very clearly the most improved player from last yr. He was terrible and did nothing/didn't even try. This yr he's dominating every time he gets the ball in practice. Unless he's talking about just of Rams players from last yr...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

too much angst towards quick.

too many people looking at the draft slot and not at the player. he was always gonna be a project.

he's gonna make alot of people eat their words.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler

too many people looking at the draft slot and not at the player. he was always gonna be a project.

I hope so, we need a #1WR, and Britt is not that guy

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Yep. And Snisher all but told it would take a season or 2 for him to be ready. By that math, Quick is pretty much right on schedule to have his break out year. Right. On. Schedule. I guess they thought the ends would be worth the means (33rd pick,). I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Oh, and people please stop worrying so much about a "#1 WR" in this offense. You will almost always be disappointed. The Rams plan on spreading the ball around and creating mismatches in the passing game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

actually i think britt is that guy. and a great mentor for quick who will teach him how to use his body to win the fight for the ball. the rams know what they're doing with this wr corps.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
actually i think britt is that guy. and a great mentor for quick who will teach him how to use his body to win the fight for the ball. the rams know what they're doing with this wr corps.

Hmm I'm yet to be convinced just because he's had a Stella ota's.. He brings attitude and toughness that we've lacked granted, but as a long term number 1... Not sure about it

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've given up on Quick by now. But great news if he can come on. Regardless this is BS from the coach because Britt is very clearly the most improved player from last yr. He was terrible and did nothing/didn't even try. This yr he's dominating every time he gets the ball in practice. Unless he's talking about just of Rams players from last yr...

BS? Brian Schottenheimer wasn't in Tennessee last year & Britt wasn't with the Rams.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
That's true but it would make Sam's job a lot easier :)

What's your definition of a #1 WR? ....someone who gets targeted more than any of the other WRs? I don't see how that helps anyone, if the alternative is spreading the ball around and being more efficient in the passing game overall.

IMO, they tried to force that role onto Givens last year, and he was easily taken away by defenses. And the rest of the passing game suffered because of it. I would much rather see them have 4-5 guys with 30 - 50 receptions, than one guy have 80+. It might not help the FF guys, but at the end of the day, this offense will be much more productive.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
What's your definition of a #1 WR? ....someone who gets targeted more than any of the other WRs? I don't see how that helps anyone, if the alternative is spreading the ball around and being more efficient in the passing game overall.

IMO, they tried to force that role onto Givens last year, and he was easily taken away by defenses. And the rest of the passing game suffered because of it. I would much rather see them have 4-5 guys with 30 - 50 receptions, than one guy have 80+. It might not help the FF guys, but at the end of the day, this offense will be much more productive.

Good point, Seattle didn't really have a #1WR I guess and that worked out ok. Guess it comes down to can this group of WR's be reliable and efficient enough to move the chains

PrometheusFaulk

Starter

Kenny Britt is absolutely capable of being that guy.

The dude has had A LOT of issues for being 25. No doubt. Plus he comes cheap, which warrants skepticism in of itself. The last two years have been a disaster for him on the field. I don't think he ever got on the same page with Locker, and by the time he fully recovered from the knee tear, Locker had already established a really nice rapport with Wright.

But if you want to see what Kenny Britt is capable of, check out some of the film from his first two games in 2011 before the injury. Dude's a stud. He just needs to be healthy and focused.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He has a smack talking swagger about him too that we haven't had on the offensive side in a long time. And watching the OTA's and him mic'd up, he is a fricken huge physical specimen. I agree talk is cheap, but, I too am drinking the koolaid at this point in thinking that maybe, for the first time in 6 to 7 years, we may alright in terms of pass plays, decent receivers and moving the chains. Perfect storm. Best O line Sam has ever had, best "maturing" receiving corps Sam has ever had. Couple that with "knock your block off" bowling ball running back Stacy and blazing fast "hey diddle diddle Tre Mason up the middle", it's a chess game we win in the 4th quarter. Rams get the lead early and the crazy Rams D most likely holds or minimizes the opposition from scoring. The other teams are all worried about the Rams D, that's our reputation. The offense is the sleeping giant that is finally going to wake up. If we have any passing success at all, look out! Every year we have high hopes for this team. I think this time, this year, it's more of a reality and not a pipe dream.

Ramon Ram

Starter
We need for him and Britt to be the starters with Tavon in the slot. That would give us 3 big receivers wth Cook along wth a slot stud. Givens, Pettis and Bailey off the bench and our receiving corps will be fine.

FRO

Legend
Maybe we don't need a number 1 receiver, but we do need good receivers. Last year they weren't good enough. Can't drop the ball as much as we were last year and expect to win. The GSOT didn't have a designated number 1 receiver. One year we had 3 guys have over 1,000 yards in receiving. So it's not one guy who needs to step up. I want to see multiple guys break the 800 yard threshold. I want to see receivers win 50/50 battles, something we haven't seen much. I want to see some YAC, something we haven't seen much of. I want to see someone come up with the clutch catch on third down consistently. This group, while it has talent, has a long long long way to go until we can be considered a playoff team.