Rams Late Round Draft Gold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
While it remains to be seen if the Rams R3/R4 picks contribute significantly or anytime soon - it looks like the Rams struck gold in the late rounds (R5-R7):

R5.147 Micah Kiser/ILB - should see heavy rotation and possibly starter early in the season
R5.160 Ogbonnia Okoronknwo/EDGE - should see heavy rotation and possibly starter by mid-season
R6.176 John Kelly/RB - battle with Malcolm Brown to backup Gurley. He could really contribute (vs just relieving Gurley when the game is over)

The only other teams that appear to have struck such gold are:

Washington - R5-Tim Settle/NT, R6-SD Hamilton/LB, R7-Trey Quinn/WR
Baltimore - R6-Deshon Elliott/S, R6-Greg Senat/OT, R6-Bradley Bozeman-C
Seattle - R5-Shaq Griffin/LB, R6-Jamarco Jones/OT

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
While it remains to be seen if the Rams R3/R4 picks contribute significantly or anytime soon - it looks like the Rams struck gold in the late rounds (R5-R7):

R5.147 Micah Kiser/ILB - should see heavy rotation and possibly starter early in the season
R5.160 Ogbonnia Okoronknwo/EDGE - should see heavy rotation and possibly starter by mid-season
R6.176 John Kelly/RB - battle with Malcolm Brown to backup Gurley. He could really contribute (vs just relieving Gurley when the game is over)

Kiser and Okoronknwo were my favorite two picks! I was very surprised to see either one of them still available when they got to their 3rd round pick much less still being available in round 5!!! I can't wait to see these two players get some playing time with the Rams Defense (And, I think they both will get a lot of playing time!) this coming season!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@dang I think it's a bit early to call these picks, but it doesn't hurt to be optimistic. The only one that I can think of recently on the Rams was Gaines.

I think Settle can play in the league and Quinn could start on a handful of teams at slot. Until they play a couple of seasons in the NFL, we can't be sure.

dang

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should have stated "it looks like the Rams may have struck gold in the late rounds (R5-R7)". My point being I don't recall multiple players with this much talent being selected by the Rams in R5-R6.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I should have stated "it looks like the Rams may have struck gold in the late rounds (R5-R7)". My point being I don't recall multiple players with this much talent being selected by the Rams in R5-R6.

They seem to have some good scouts and are able to find quality players in the later rounds. I was impressed with their draft considering they did not have picks in the first or second rounds. Also Sneed gets an A+ for his performance as a GM.

nighttrain

Legend
one thing i think i think, is if i was a young guy on the practice squad i'd be working my butt off this off season in preparation for for spring practices. Could be a lot of changes on PS
train

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I am not so sure about Settle. He may eat his way to the unemployment line. Jamarco Jones will be a backup, at best.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
one thing i think i think, is if i was a young guy on the practice squad i'd be working my butt off this off season in preparation for for spring practices. Could be a lot of changes on PS
train

Thank you Peter King!

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I don't understand the logic. You said that it "remains to be seen if the 3rd & 4th Rnd picks contribute", but they "struck Gold with the 5th & 6th Rnd picks"? Isn't it really just a matter of opportunity? Couldn't you plug in 3 or 4 different players in that 5th & 6th category and have the same conclusion? The defensive players are obviously going to get more opportunity because of the lack of players on the roster at those positions, especially OLB. How come Trevon Young isn't Gold?

dang

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I recognize this posting is subjective. I based it on consensus draft rankings and possibility of contributing this year. I believe based on those two considerations the Rams hit multiple possible Gold nuggets.