Rams hope to find hidden gems in Division II standouts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Rams hope to find hidden gems in Division II standouts
By Joe Lyons

Following a successful draft earlier this month, the Rams quickly turned their attention to filling out the roster with undrafted rookies.

“I think we’re winning free agency,’’ Rams general manager Les Snead as he and coach Jeff Fisher met with the media following the third and final day of the NFL draft.

In the group of 15 post-draft signees were a pair of former NCAA Division II national defensive players of the year: defensive tackle Ethan Westbrooks from West Texas A&M and ex-North Alabama linebacker Tavarius Wilson.

“It’s just a blessing to be here and to get an opportunity to keep playing football,’’ said Wilson, a 5-foot-11, 239-pounder. “As an undrafted guy, I think you definitely come in with a little bit of a chip on your shoulder, but once you put on the pads, everybody gets a chance to prove himself. Right now, I’m just trying to make the team.’’

Westbrooks is taking a similar approach.

“I think any time you take the field, you have something to prove,’’ the 6-4, 267-pounder said. “First and foremost, I feel like I owe the Rams for taking a chance on me and giving me this opportunity. I think it’s important to prove to your teammates and coaches that you belong, that you can work and learn to fit in.’’

PRODUCTIVE BUT OVERLOOKED

The 2013 NCAA Division II National Defensive Player of the Year, Wilson did it all at North Alabama last fall, helping the 10-3 Lions reach the DII quarterfinals. He finished the season with 123 tackles, 7½ tackles for loss, four interceptions, four sacks, three forced fumbles and a blocked kick.

All that while making a switch to outside linebacker.

“Since high school, I’ve always played in the middle,’’ he said. “But we needed help outside.’’

Despite his production, Wilson did not participate in any postseason all-star games and was not invited to the NFL combine.

“I’m not 6-2 or 6-3, so I’m a guy who tends to be overlooked,’’ the 23-year-old said. “It was like that coming out of high school in Jackson, Mississippi, and it’s just the way it is. Rather than dwell on it, I try to focus on being prepared and on making plays.’’

Wilson, who starred at Hinds (Miss.) Community College before North Alabama, sees himself as a thinking man’s player.

“I feel like game preparation is my strength,’’ he said. “Knowing my opponent, knowing who I’m up against, is always a priority for me.’’

Wilson said the biggest challenge with the step up from DII has been the Rams’ playbook.

“In college, you might go into a game with 20 or 30 plays,’’ he said. “Here, it’s like you’re trying to cram up to 100 plays into your brain. There’s a lot to learn because everything’s so much more detailed.

“But that’s the challenge of making the step up in competition and that’s why I’m working hard to learn as fast as I can. I feel like once I get the terminology down, hopefully I can start looking to make a name for myself.’’

BIG-TIME POTENTIAL

The Rams thought enough of Westbrooks to give him a $20,000 signing bonus and guaranteeing $30,000 of his 2014 base salary.

Westbrooks, the 2012 Division II National Defensive Player of the Year, was a hot commodity following the draft, also drawing interest from Dallas, Kansas City and Oakland.

“Above everything else, I think it’s important to be where you’re wanted and I definitely got that feeling from the people in St. Louis,’’ the 23-year-old Westbrooks said. “The veterans are making the rookies feel like family; I’m excited to learn from them and I’m really excited to work with (defensive line coach Mike Waufel).’’

An Oakland native with seven siblings, Westbrooks starred at Sacramento City College before making the move to West Texas A&M. There, he enjoyed an incredible 2012 campaign that featured 28 tackles for loss to go along with 19½ sacks. In addition, he had 19 quarterback hurries, three forced fumbles and two pass breakups.

“To be honest, I felt like I could’ve done even more,’’ said Westbrooks, who recorded 15½ of his sacks over the final nine games that season.

Last fall, with opponents game-planning for him, Westbrooks’ numbers tailed off. Still, he ended up with 14 tackles for loss, four sacks, six quarterback hurries, two pass breakups and two fumble recoveries.

“It’s tough when all eyes are watching you and scheming you,’’ Westbrooks said. “On top of that, our defense was adjusted a little, so I was playing more of an inside position. I was doing what I could to help my team. We had a strong feeling of brotherhood and ended up having a great year.’’

The Buffaloes also reached the DII quarterfinals and finished 11-3 overall last fall.

An athletically-gifted but raw talent, Westbrooks flashed some of his potential when he was voted defensive MVP after picking up two sacks and two tackles for loss in the East-West Shrine Game in January and earned an invitation to the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

“It would’ve been nice to be drafted, but when things like that are out of your control, you just have to give it to God and know that everything works out for the best,’’ he said. “I feel I’m in a great situation here with the Rams, getting a chance to work with and learn from guys like Robert Quinn and Chris Long. Now it’s up to me to work hard and make the most of it.’’

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c00d5384-887f-58a3-8000-2ad761cff71d.html

…..

Legend
Westbrooks sounds like a intriguing prospect. I'm stoked about this teams depth on the defensive line. Where in the world are we going to put everybody?

Wilson probably has a wider door opening with our limited depth at LB'er

They both are well spoken or well practiced, thier answers were outstanding.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sam will get all the press and Westbrooks will make the team...Wilson intrigues me because the Rams need someone to back-up Laurinaitis.

jjab360

Legend
Sam will get all the press and Westbrooks will make the team...Wilson intrigues me because the Rams need someone to back-up Laurinaitis.
I doubt it. Westbrooks doesn't have any more physical upside than Sam does, and people forget that Sam was the SEC defensive player of the year. Dude is pretty good.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I bet both Sam and Westbrooks make the team. I don't think that Carrington's job is all that secure; he has struggled with injuries before, and if Westbrooks proves to be the pass-rusher that he was in 2012, he could end up taking the fourth defensive tackle job from Carrington and Conrath.

Wilson also intrigues me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I doubt it. Westbrooks doesn't have any more physical upside than Sam does, and people forget that Sam was the SEC defensive player of the year. Dude is pretty good.

Agreed, but Westbrooks can play inside and outside just have a feeling that Westbrooks wins a job.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bet both Sam and Westbrooks make the team. I don't think that Carrington's job is all that secure; he has struggled with injuries before, and if Westbrooks proves to be the pass-rusher that he was in 2012, he could end up taking the fourth defensive tackle job from Carrington and Conrath.

Wilson also intrigues me.

I'd say it's highly unlikely that the Rams go with only 3 DTs. William Hayes plays some DT in some sets, too, and that hasn't stopped them from keep 4 DTs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would be surprised if Carrington does not make the team. He would have to be injured still. He is a DT not a DE. Who does Westbrooks bump off the roster? Hayes, Sims, Long, Quinn? Carrington, Donald, Brockers, Langford, Conrath?

The Rams would have to carry 5 DEs and the battle would be between Sam and Westbrooks.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I hope Wilson makes the team as the next London Fletcher! Looks like a smart player who tackles well!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is where Snead really earns his money IMO.......finding what he called "the hidden gems" that can contribute to the team and then once in awhile finding a starter for essentially nothing. I think this is where he is way better than Devaney. After the second round he can still find guys, Devaney didn't seem to have any luck in that regard. Frankly picking in the top of the first couple of rounds isn't really that hard, a lot of posters could do a good job at it or do as well as many NFL teams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those are two very impressive rookie FAs.

Wilson in particular has a great shot at making this team. He has very, very good closing speed when he identifies the ball carrier. Good instinct in his coverage drops. Hits hard and wraps up, and he's a tough blocking target. I can see why the Rams went after him, because this guy is going to immediately challenge the Bates and Armstrongs on this team.

Westbrooks is an even better prospect but man... He really has a tough lineup to crack. I agree with Coach that his ability to play in/out serves him well. He is a fit moreso for this team in direct comparison with Sam, unless they get some sort of crazy package going just to feature Sam.

My guess is Sam doesn't make this team for reasons of fit. Westbrooks and him both end up on the practice squad, IMO. Wilson, however, I think makes this team as a special teamer with the Rams keeping 6 (AO, JLau, Dunbar, Armstrong, Bates, Wilson).