Rams have zero margin of error in 2014 Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_of_Old

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6924/rams-margin-for-error-in-nfl-draft-zero

"Anything short of a playoff berth in 2014 will be a disappointment, and the work towards a home playoff game in the Edward Jones Dome is well under way," Demoff wrote.

Based on what we’ve seen so far this offseason, if 2014 is indeed supposed to be the year the Rams make their leap, they have a margin for error next to zero in the NFL draft.

Okay Mister Snead and Coach Fisher....It is you show! Make us Winners!

F. Mulder

Starter
Every year should be a "zero margin for error" approach. However we know that even the best teams strike out once in awhile. Under Devaney I felt the Rams took the "safest" approach and were often content with guys they felt could start and play and didn't have huge bust potential (except J. Smith ended up doing that regardless) nor did they go after "boom" players who may have had some type of baggage or risk but could be special. I understood the approach at the time. They were trying to rid a roster of fading players and guys who were almost off the street who were currently on the Rams roster (look at how few Devaney players let go even found other jobs in the NFL).

Snead/Fisher has shown the willingness to swing for the fences more and have in some early predictable draft results to show for it. Overall they have added a few of the elusive playmakers, some promising players, and some players who will end up being decent NFL players. I thought they got the better of the RG III trade but this year they have the capital to add (without trades) 3-4 impact players that can not only fill in holes/needs but also put them over the top as a complete football team.

From the Draft strategy standpoint this is going to be tricky. IF they are in love with ONE particular player (e.g. Robinson/Watkins/Clowney/Mathews) they simply keep the #2 pick, pick their guy and move on to who and what to do at #13. IF they have 2-3 guys equally rated at the top, they need to find a willing partner to trade and keep them in that projected area to come out with one of the guys they want. The point is, if they love ONE player and think he can be a superstar, just take him and move forward. If there is a cluster you may not get the bounty RG III provided but you can get one player, still have #13 and likely pick up a late 1st or early 2nd just to move down 2-4 spots. Either way they are going to end up with 3 high picks and 4 picks in the top 75 on a very solid and deep draft. Snead has to counter getting too "cute" with trades with getting good value in any trades as well as available players.

Regarding actual positions. I see a team that needs 2 OL, and a CB, Safety. What makes this draft interesting is that by having, or acquiring 1-2 additional top 75-100 picks you can not only fill those needs but can deviate in certain rounds to get a true BPA not at the above position, and know the draft is deep enough to come back and get a solid player from the need area in the next round.

For me this is the year and the draft that we as fans, and obviously the Rams as an organization, need to put together a complete, young, developing team that can compete (and win) in a tough West division, while taking care of business vs. teams outside that division. It may be a slight exaggeration but to me this is a make or break draft in achieving that. You won't have this level, nor number of quality picks next year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good post Mulder.

I too want to come away with 2 OL, and want them at the premium pick level (inside the 3rd round). Let's make the line an unquestionable strength!

I don't want the Rams getting too cute with the trades, either. Nothing wrong with getting two of the 13 best college players. That said; I hope we get a nice trade... Just wouldn't force it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I agree with both of you. Not sure why some people are hell bent on another trade down scenario. If we get an amazing offer, great, but the Rams need to focus on NAILING the picks we do have. Don't trade down if the players you think are the difference makers might not be there at the new slots. Get some studs and lets go F up the NFCW..... then the WORLD!!! MUAAAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Alan

Legend
Faceplant with this head scratcher:
I agree with both of you. Not sure why some people are hell bent on another trade down scenario. If we get an amazing offer, great, but the Rams need to focus on NAILING the picks we do have. Don't trade down if the players you think are the difference makers might not be there at the new slots.
Trading down and getting difference makers are not mutually exclusive you know.

In addition, do you really think a GM is saying to himself, "let's trade down so that we can miss out on all the difference makers" ? It's hard to see any scenario where that would be the thinking. Of course, it could look that way to someone who doesn't have the same value on a player as you do. :LOL: :coffee: The top 32 rated players is filled with difference makers in somebody's mind. Mine too.

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not sure trading down would be a good move. Good grief! We already have two first round picks. We should come out of this with at least one top flight offensive lineman. We need to shore up the OL, especially with the question of whether Jake will come back healthy.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Unless a team really overpays by a huge amount I'm not for trading down. Rams need elite players now. They have talent spread through out the roster unlike when Sneed took over. They need another Quinn level player out of this draft.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think I've seen an elite player or two drafted after the top 10.

Trading down wouldn't be so bad IMO.

Slappy967

Starter
We aren't getting another Redskins mega deal this time that's for sure. I would be ok trading back to the Browns and MAYBE the Falcons and that's it. Too many difference makers at varying positions we could use in that window. Would love to get Watkins/Robinson with our first pick and get Pryor from Louisville later.