Rams have a decision to make at ILB when Micah Kiser returns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
With Micah Kiser sidelined, Troy Reeder tackles middle of Rams' defense

The Rams will play the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday — and at least two more games — without their leading tackler.

Inside linebacker Micah Kiser was placed on injured reserve Thursday after suffering a knee injury during Monday’s victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The injury is not expected to be season-ending or require surgery, coach Sean McVay said. Kiser, a third-year pro, has a team-best 77 tackles for a defense that ranks No. 1 in the NFL, allowing the fewest yards per game.

Troy Reeder will start in place of Kiser, who must miss three games — against the visiting 49ers, a road game against the Arizona Cardinals and a Thursday night matchup with the visiting New England Patriots. Kiser will be eligible to return for a Dec. 20 home game against the New York Jets.

“The hope is that it’s just those three games,” McVay said during a videoconference after practice. “It was something that you even debate whether or not you wanted to do it [put him on injured reserve] because it’s kind of right in that fringe area.”

Reeder, an undrafted free agent in 2019, started eight games as a rookie. He thrived earlier this season when he started in place of Kiser, who sat out at Washington on Oct. 11 because of groin and chest injuries. Reeder recorded a team-best 11 tackles and had three sacks in a 30-10 victory.

“I do have a lot of confidence in Troy to step in and seamlessly handle the job,” McVay said Wednesday, when Kiser’s status was still to be determined. “He’s really done a great job of preparing himself for when his opportunities do come up.

“He was ready to go against Washington. I thought last year, he definitely demonstrated as a rookie it wasn’t too big for him where he started a handful of games at [middle] linebacker and played a significant amount of snaps. Expect him to step in and do a great job for us this week as well.”

Reeder will start alongside inside linebacker Kenny Young in defensive coordinator Brandon Staley’s hybrid 3-4 scheme.

The Rams are limiting opponents to an NFL-low 291.9 yards per game. They are fifth in rushing defense (91.3 yards per game) and second in scoring defense (19.2 points per game) and passing defense (200.6 yards per game).

In their 27-24 victory over the Buccaneers, the Rams gave up 251 yards. Rookie safety Jordan Fuller intercepted two passes by Tom Brady, including one in the final minutes to seal the victory in Tampa, Fla.

“I felt like we stayed steady and we were able to close the game out as you would hope to against a guy like that,” Staley said of Brady, a six-time Super Bowl champion. “That’s certainly the ultimate challenge, is [a two-minute drill] against one of the great two-minute quarterbacks to ever play, and I felt that our guys were composed and I felt like we finished the game playing our best ball.”

The defense added depth this week when the Rams claimed end Derek Rivers off waivers from New England. Rivers, a third-round draft pick in 2017, had 1½ sacks in eight games this season before the Patriots waived him. Because of COVID-19 protocols, Rivers cannot practice until Saturday and will not play against the 49ers, McVay said.

But the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Rivers eventually could contribute as a pass rusher and on special teams, Staley said.

“Getting a bigger-body guy that can run for special teams,” Staley said.

The Rams also in coming weeks could see the return of outside linebacker Obo Okoronkwo, who was activated from injured reserve this week. Okoronkwo had one sack this season before he suffered an elbow injury against Washington. Okoronkwo is not expected to be ready for the game against San Francisco, but Staley and McVay anticipate he will be productive again soon.

“He’s going to add a boost to us with the juice that he has coming off the edge,” McVay said.

Etc.

Tight end Tyler Higbee (elbow) did not practice, and his status could be a game-time decision, McVay said. Rookie outside linebacker Terrell Lewis (knee) did not practice. Lewis was sidelined earlier this season because of a knee issue. “It’s all related in some form or fashion,” McVay said. “But he had some swelling — we had to drain it — and then we’re kind of waiting to get some further information on his status and what that looks like moving forward.”

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Terrell Lewis still having issues with that knee.

fearsomefour

Legend
I like Reeder as a depth guy but extends starts......
Anyway, first thing I thought now that he is starting is other teams TEs.
May see more sets with three safeties.

oldnotdead

Legend
Normally the TE's aren't covered by the MIKE. They are generally covered by the coverage ILB (Young or Hollins) or a safety. The MIKE's normal responsibility is to not only provide A gap coverage but to slide to either side to mirror QB rollouts or coverage in the flats, i.e. to contain the play. Reeder has the speed and plays with the necessary physicality for the position. His issues have come with his reads, but as he gains experience that should change. Also, it's not a given Reeder will play all the snaps at MIKE as we have seen Hollins rotating inside, particularly on obvious passing downs.

Rivers is an option, but IMO perhaps not so much this year as it's unknown to what level his coached up skill set is. MIKE is a heavy read react LB position where he needs to get it right or be exposed. I think for the foreseeable future Reeder and Hollins will fill that gap.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like Reeder as a depth guy but extends starts......
Anyway, first thing I thought now that he is starting is other teams TEs.
May see more sets with three safeties.
Staley has many options open for him for his defense to attack this 9er running offense. I think he will use them all. @ this point, at least the next 3 to 4 wks the middle of this Ram defense will rest on this UDFA 2nd yr MLB'er Reeder's shoulders.

Big moment in his young NFL career to play in this championship-caliber defense. Reeder is smart enough to win but he is very limited as far as range & pass coverage. Shanahan knows this very well & will take advantage of him. I think Kyle Shanahan knows how to beat McVay's teams even when he is damaged offensively.

One would think that DB Ramsey will cover WR Deebo Samuel. You mentioned the 3 safety look...I like the JJ III, Scott & Fuller safety trio is strong as the 3 corner look of Williams, Hill & Ramsey. It's also a great time to give the real fresh legged DT Robinson large chunks of defensive snaps in facing this Shanahan running game. SJD-Gaines-Robinson should be a solid rock wall to try to penetrate & run through.

Last edited:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Kiser was leading the team in tackles, Rapp wasn't far behind, and Terrell Burgess had a lot of tackles considering his limited playing time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Terrell Lewis still having issues with that knee.
Sure appears that Lewis has big issues of health in that knee. With both starting OLB'ers being UFA's Sneads draft prospects team is sure to be working hard on the new crop of tweeners edge rushers/34 OLB'ers to be selected on the 2nd day of the 2021 draft. Snead has 3-second day selections to find a healthy ER this upcoming draft. Extremely doubtfully Rams can afford UFA Floyd. I would also think Snead will select another ER on day 3 too.

Besides the real bad news on Terrell Lewis's damaged knee .....ER's Og Okoronkwo has been unhealthy since he was drafted in 2018. Og has been on the IR again& out again this week. Justin Lawler has been on the injured reserve for the last 2 years. ER Polite's snaps have been trending downward & have had very little effect when on the field.

Justin Hollins snaps have increased consistently & been a real bright spot @ ER/OLB unit since he was scooped up off the street in Denver. Hollins might be a temporary decent replacement for Floyd. Unsure what the ex Pat new arrival ER Derek Rivers has since he was also claimed off the streets. Rams have the numbers @ ER but all seem to be lacking in NFL talent or in NFL level health.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Our ILBs drop for the most part they won't be manning up. Prob with Reeder is he isn't quick in reacting off the drop or making those subtle moves into the path of the crossers and stuff over the middle.

But we'll see how he does. Long as he fills hard vs the run we should be ok.

oldnotdead

Legend
His issue with play recognition is one that normally is associated with inexperienced. Reeder isn't slow by any means. But what is slow is his reads. He's fine IMO in run support and he's likely to be replaced by Hollins on passing downs anyway. Those crossers are usually the assignment of the second ILB (Young) or a safety. Normally the LBs aren't in man coverage per se but play an active zone where they will pickup any receiver in their zone. As the receiver nears 10 yds normally the LB will handoff the coverage to the SS. This is why IMO Staley can and in fact does pull the second ILB and simply play a 3 safety secondary. Young is only playing 48% of the snaps.

The way Staley plays his scheme they in fact don't really need to play 2 ILBs. Hollins or a 3rd safety can fill that role.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
i say we sit Kiser for the Jets game as well or give him very limited reps.
It's a game we could definitely get by without him.
Gonna need him for the long haul.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Im in the minority in that I like Reeder over Kiser. His speed is so impressive. He needs to work on coverage but his sideline to sideline is great.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He had a huge game before ........he can do it again !
Im in the minority in that I like Reeder over Kiser. His speed is so impressive. He needs to work on coverage but his sideline to sideline is great.
He will get another opportunity to prove he can be a NFL grade MLB'er this afternoon. Kiser has now seen the IR on two back to back seasons now in his 3rd of 4 under contract. So whomever the Rams have as a back up is sure to be looked at as a possible replacement for Kiser when his contract is up when the 2021 season is over.

Reeder has shown he is more than capable of getting to the QB something Kiser has not been able to show. Reeder might have the ability to be used like he was earlier this season as a disguised MLB but end up being cloaked OLB/ER by Staley. Reeder has the size thing on his side, being over 6-3 & about 245 lbs.

It will be interesting to see how many times Staley cloaks Reeder in his defense as he did against Washington when Reeder got 3 sacks on one game. I think Reeder can get to Mullens for a few sacks today.

Psycho_X

Legend
IF there was ever a game for Reeder to get into my good graces this would be it. I'm going to assume he'll be used more like he was at Washington but still makes me nervous. I expect Hollins to have the most snaps he has had all season though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams have a decision to make at ILB when Micah Kiser returns
Rams have a decision to make at ILB when Micah Kiser returns (yahoo.com)
Cameron DaSilva/ Tue, December 15, 2020

72ab4ca96ccbfa42788e59b07b24bc42

Troy Reeder was thrust into the starting lineup after Micah Kiser suffered a knee injury against the Buccaneers in Week 11. Kiser has missed the last three games while on injured reserve, and based on Sean McVay’s comments Monday, the linebacker won’t be activated for Sunday’s game against the Jets, either.

Assuming he doesn’t play this weekend, that’ll mark five missed games for Kiser this season. And in most of the games he’s missed, Reeder has stepped up in a big way, playing better football than Kiser was when healthy.
That leaves the Rams with a big decision to make: Should Kiser reclaim his starting role when he returns? Or should they stick with the “hot hand,” so to speak, and keep Reeder in there?

In all likelihood, both players will get some playing time when Kiser does come back. That’ll force L.A. to take Kenny Young off the field more often, too, which complicates things further because he’s playing his best football of the season right now.

But as logical as it would seem to continue giving Reeder playing time when Kiser is healthy, that wasn’t the case earlier this season. After Reeder recorded three sacks against Washington in Kiser’s absence in Week 5, Reeder didn’t play a single defensive snap until Week 11, when he played just six.

So the Rams made no effort to get Kiser and Reeder on the field together when both were available. Granted, the sample size of Reeder’s play was much smaller than it is now, but it’s important to note how the Rams handled this situation in the first half of the season.
d84e2a9ab2135525c510cab2ca4e4cf0

In terms of how each player has performed when starting, it’s no contest. Kiser’s overall grade at Pro Football Focus is an unsightly 40.1. Reeder’s sits at 69.3 in limited action, with that number buoyed by his pass-rush efficiency.

On only 13 blitzes this season, Reeder has three pressures and three sacks, according to Pro Football Reference. Kiser, on the other hand, has blitzed 30 times and only has two pressures with no sacks. Of course, pass rushing isn’t the primary job of an inside linebacker, but that’s likely where the biggest discrepancy is in terms of PFF’s grading.

Both players have had tackling issues throughout the year, with Kiser missing tackles at an 11.5% rate and Reeder missing 11.7% of the time. In coverage, Reeder has allowed 7.8 yards per completion compared to 9.2 for Kiser, also allowing a passer rating that’s 18.1 points better than Kiser’s (79.3 vs. 97.4). In terms of impact plays, Reeder has made four tackles for loss, while Kiser has yet to make a single stop behind the line of scrimmage.

The eye test might be the most telling measure when it comes to evaluating these two players, though. Reeder has been much better against the run, and is a reason the Rams were able to shut down the Patriots’ rushing attack, and for the most part, the Cardinals’, too. In coverage, Reeder still has his struggles as a bigger linebacker, but Kiser hasn’t exactly thrived in that department, either.

This won’t be an easy decision for the Rams to make. Neither is a surefire starter in the NFL, but both have their strengths. It’s just that the defense has seemed to play better with Reeder as of late, which might lead the team to stick with the status quo when Kiser does return from IR – which could be in Week 16 against Seattle.

Is LB Troy Reeder the Real Deal? | Rams ON DEMAND

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Troy Reeder reminds me so much of another 34 Defense Inside Linebacker. Jim Youngblood both were about the same size. All Reeder needs is a number #53 on his jersey.

1608052896243.png

1608052783637.png

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Troy Reeder reminds me so much of another 34 Defense Inside Linebacker. Jim Youngblood both were about the same size. All Reeder needs is a number #53 on his jersey.

View attachment 41987

View attachment 41986
At first, I was going to pushback here.

I recall Youngblood was exclusively outside in the 4-3 that the Rams played for most of his career.

I believe they switched to the 3-4 in 1983 when Fritz Shurmur came in as DC under John Robinson.

Jim Youngblood was a backup for a couple years but did not see much action behind Andrews, Wilcher and Owens (outside), and Ekern and Collins (inside).

However, I do agree that when Jim Youngblood played those final two seasons, he was going in as a backup inside. Since Reeder was a backup, then maybe we do agree.

I remember in ‘83 thinking the change to a 3-4 was bad for Jack Youngblood who was small for a 4-3 DE. Did not how he could hold up as a 3-4 end. Man was I dead wrong. Jack had two excellent seasons in 1983 and 1984.