Rams Free Agent Targets?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
With Free Agency beginning this Tuesday I am just wondering which Free Agents the Rams might be pursuing. I am guessing the Offensive Line will be their top priority especially now that there seems to be a pretty good possibility that Joe Barksdale may not be back. I would think the Rams will also look at upgrading their LB positions and possibly their QB position (Or, do you think they will go into the season with the same three (Bradford, Hill & Davis) as they had last year (Seems a little scary to me)?

lockdnram21

Legend
With Free Agency beginning this Tuesday I am just wondering which Free Agents the Rams might be pursuing. I am guessing the Offensive Line will be their top priority especially now that there seems to be a pretty good possibility that Joe Barksdale may not be back. I would think the Rams will also look at upgrading their LB positions and possibly their QB position (Or, do you think they will go into the season with the same three (Bradford, Hill & Davis) as they had last year (Seems a little scary to me)?
Davis deal isnt Guarunteed. Hopefully somebody will offer Hill more money then the rams. There still going to draft somebody.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, the Rams should be looking at guys like:

Justin Blalock, G, Falcons
Brian De la Puente, C, Bears
Jermey Parnell, OT, Cowboys

Potential stop gaps on board while younger players/rookies develop.

FRO

Legend

Couldn't agree more. That and guys like Britt last year, one year deal low risk high reward types. Teams that use free agency to build their rosters usually finish near the bottom.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Rams didn't tender Davis but they did tender Hill so they want to keep Hill.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is there any news or rumors about who the Rams might have (or, will be soon) contacted? Can teams be in discussions with free agents now or do they have to wait until Tuesday to make contact? Hopefully, the Rams have a plan and will be ready to move quickly and intelligently on Tuesday!

SierraRam

Recreational User

I like the idea of giving the rookies time to develop, but our record with 'stop-gap' OL's isn't impressive. I'd like to get at least one top-tier FA to throw in the mix. My choices:

1. Bryan Bulaga
2. Stefen Wisniewski

Is there any news or rumors about who the Rams might have (or, will be soon) contacted? Can teams be in discussions with free agents now or do they have to wait until Tuesday to make contact? Hopefully, the Rams have a plan and will be ready to move quickly and intelligently on Tuesday!

I haven't seen much aside from speculation. The latest AP article I read regarding Ram FA targets included my two choices along with Carpenter and Iupati.

Ltrautman

MIZ
I like the idea of giving the rookies time to develop, but our record with 'stop-gap' OL's isn't impressive. I'd like to get at least one top-tier FA to throw in the mix. My choices:

1. Bryan Bulaga

I would love to see us sign Bulaga but I highly doubt he leaves Green Bay with all the success (both personally and as a team) he has had in the Packers' offensive system

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have a feeling Iupati is not going to come cheap. The Rams have overpaid before, but not lately. I don't see them getting into a bidding war for him. That hasn't been their M.O. lately.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I doubt that they pounce on Thursday...That should be a feeding frenzy big bucks day ...I don't see them being a big spender this year...Mid-range OL if anybody would be my guess...Of course that's just what it is, a guess...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I doubt that they pounce on Thursday...That should be a feeding frenzy big bucks day ...I don't see them being a big spender this year...Mid-range OL if anybody would be my guess...Of course that's just what it is, a guess...

Yeah, they'll most likely wait for the first frenzy to die down see what's left. There are good deals to be had with the 2nd tier free agents if you do your homework. Kinda like the 2nd and 3rd round of the draft.

Memphis Ram

Legend

1. Bryan Bulaga
2. Stefen Wisniewski

I'd say the stop gap route has proven to be more successful over the years. They just didn't do a good job of bringing up rookies/young players to take over.

Off the top of my head, Adam Timmerman is the only so-called top tier free agent Olineman (or free agent period) that played up to his huge free agent contract while the likes of Jason Brown, Jacob Bell, Jake Long, Kyle Turner, Dwayne "Road Grader" White did or have not.

Those down on Davin Joseph (who had a down year prior to joining team) have to also remember success stories like Harvey Dahl, Todd Steussie, Andy McCollum, Dave Wohlabaugh. Sure they were years ago, but far better deals and turnout, IMO.

Last edited:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Dahl , even though he's about 74, would probably still be an upgrade at at whichever G slot Saffold doesn't take...

T-Hawks

UDFA
I really want Clint Boling to be signed next week. He is flying under the radar and I think he would be great for us. He is a great run blocker and he opened up huge holes for Jeremy Hill last year. If we sign Boling we would just need to find a center and right tackle.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I'd say the stop gap route has proven to be more successful over the years. They just didn't do a good job of bringing up rookies/young players to take over.

Off the top of my head, Adam Timmerman is the only so-called top tier free agent Olineman (or free agent period) that played up to his huge free agent contract while the likes of Jason Brown, Jacob Bell, Jake Long, Kyle Turner, Dwayne "Road Grader" White did or have not.

Those down on Davin Joseph (who had a down year prior to joining team) have to also remember success stories like Harvey Dahl, Todd Steussie, Andy McCollum, Dave Wohlabaugh. Sure they were years ago, but far better deals and turnout, IMO.

Yeah - we certainly don't shine in that department; however, if we get a 'day-one' starter with pick# 10 and Rhaney steps up, then 4/5ths of our line will be home grown. We'll be one top-tier FA from a dominant line. (y)

I would love to see us sign Bulaga but I highly doubt he leaves Green Bay with all the success (both personally and as a team) he has had in the Packers' offensive system

I agree - Signing Bulaga is a long-shot (n)

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I want a center! Either Stefen Wisniewski or Rodney Hudson.

I figure a top 10 center will improve Guard Saffold's play, just by playing next to him, and a top center would allow Bradford to confidently step up in the pocket.

And, I would prefer to draft Guard/ Center Cameron Erving in the 2nd round. Cameron Erving could back up Wisniewski or Hudson up at Center and start at guard opposite Saffold. We could then release Wells and Jake Long. Save Salary money.

Rams Starting offensive line,

LT- Greg Robinson
LG- Cameron Erving 2nd round pick
C- Wisniewski or Hudson FA
RG - Rodger Saffold
RT- Resign FA Barksdale

The flexibility with an offensive line like that, would give us the luxury of picking the best available Wide Receiver with our 10. That would make our offensive relatively flush with offensive linemen, WR's, and RB,'s...So as long as Bradford's knee holds out. We're set
But as we painfully aware...Bradford's knee is a big IF, but what other choice do we have?

Somehow via the draft or FA, I would like to find a solid CB and OLB...Pipe dream? Probably.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Count me in with the younger, mid tier OL FA group. We've been burnt too much in the past with big name players.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If we can get Jeremy Parnell, OT Dallas for $6M/per or less, then I say do it and let Barks walk because that's about what he's likely to get on the open market and Parnell is a pretty nice upgrade at the position, imho.

Plus, he played LOT, so if something happens to GRob, Heaven forbid, he can slide over and be successful there.

Oh, and ABSOLUTELY NO on James Carpenter. The reason Seattle is letting him go is because he stinks on ice in Pass Pro. One of the reasons we beat them is because our DTs were able to beat Carpenter like a drum and get to Wilson. If Wilson were even slightly less aware, Carpenter would have gotten Wilson jacked up like Jake Long did with Bradford.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The OL, FS & DT units are rich at the top with quality free agents, all of which happen to be positions of need for the Rams. The question is whether our team will pull the trigger on an expensive 'name' player, or will they toy around with hopeful lesser talent ? Personally, i'd rather go all in on one or two young top level guys than attempt to string together a number of lower level B - Rated fill ins. The Rams are in danger of wasting a good defense if we don't seek a more permanent solution to our offensive ailments. There will be depth players at the latter end of free agency as well as the 2'nd free agency period, ... the draft should be BPA, and for a team that needs to turn around a decade worth of decline on the O-Line, it may be time to spend some bucks on this unit, both in free agency and the draft. jmo.