Rams Fisher on Jared Goff: “We’re not going to rush him”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams’ Fisher on Jared Goff: “We’re not going to rush him”
By Clark Judge

Talk of Fame Network

[www.talkoffamenetwork.com]

The Rams have a new home. They’re the Los Angeles Rams now, returning to southern California after 21 years in St. Louis. And they have a new quarterback.

Introducing former Cal quarterback Jared Goff.

The Rams thought so much of Goff they traded away multiple draft picks to acquire the first pick of the draft, and, naturally, most persons believe the rookie – not Case Keenum, Nick Foles or Sean Mannion – will be the team’s starter when the Rams open on Sept. 12. But that’s not necessarily the case, coach Jeff Fisher told the Talk of Fame Network.

“We’re going to take our time,” he said on the latest broadcast, dedicated to the Rams’ return to the West Coast. “We’re not going to rush him. He’s a quick learner. He’s got a special and arm and vision, and he’s going to play sooner than I think a lot of people think. We’re not going to put him in position to fail. We want him to be successful.”

That’;s fine, except Tampa Bay drafted Jameis Winston with the first pick of the 2015 draft and started him in the season opener. The same was true of Andrew Luck in 2012 … and Cam Newton in 2011 … and Sam Bradford in 2010. In fact, the last quarterback taken with the first overall pick not to start was the Raiders’ JaMarcus Russell in 2007, and that was only because he failed to sign a contract until the season began.

The pressure, then, to start Goff will be enormous, especially with the Rams not having a winning season under Fisher. But the head coach insists he will not cave to outside forces.

“We’re the ones in the meeting rooms,” he said of coaches. “We’re the ones behind the scenes. We’re the ones on the practice fields. So we’ll be the ones who make those decisions, along with his progress. He’ll have a lot to do with it, but nobody’s looking over their shoulder right now.

“We’re going to do what we think is best for the immediate future of this football team and the long-term future. As I’ve been asked numerous times, I can’t tell you when he starts. But I can tell you: When he starts he’ll be ready.

“We all know how difficult the position is to play … for everybody involved. For the great ones, it’s hard to play sometimes. So we’re going to bring him along so that he has a chance to be successful, and that has a lot to do with the people we surround him with and how our defense plays and our run game and our offensive line. Not to look past any other offensive positions, but our offensive line’s going to be a bright spot.”

So, Rams’ fans hope, will the quarterback … whenever Jared Goff has that chance to play.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“We’re going to take our time,” he said on the latest broadcast, dedicated to the Rams’ return to the West Coast. “We’re not going to rush him. He’s a quick learner. He’s got a special and arm and vision, and he’s going to play sooner than I think a lot of people think. We’re not going to put him in position to fail. We want him to be successful.”
T quote X-DE Fred Dryer, from his TV Show, Hunter, " Works for me!";):D

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I would have liked to hear we gave up a lot to get him because we believed he is good enough to start on day 1 so of course he will start. Now Fisher wants to go slow...I guess if he feels that is the best approach then fine...start Case. It probably is best but it makes me nervous... Goff wasn't cheap.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Means nothing. Fisher knows that if he talked him up as a guy who would start ASAP - and he didn't - Goff would be labelled a failure out of the gate. By saying that they wouldn't rush him, they can start him whenever they wish, and the Rams are just being careful for their future star.

Bkfld_Rams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plus, it will boost his confidence to know that he earned enough trust from the coaching staff to start his first game on MNF against the whiners.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm not going to obsess over when Goff starts, I trust Fisher won't start him until he feels he's ready. If it happens to be game 1, fine, if it's after the BYE, fine. Keenum won 3 of our last 4 games last season and we would have won the 4'th had Gurley not missed the game. Our O-Line was shot during those 4 games, so should it be necessary for Keenum to start once again with a healthy OL, a deeper receiving corps & Gurley, I believe the Rams can handle it.

If anything, I'd kinda like to see Fisher get extended a year or two so he doesn't feel rushed to get Goff on the field too early. jmo.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I like that we are saying this, hopefully, we mean it. I agree with Fish, that there is no reason to rush him. Fans wanting him to start is not a valid reason to start him if he isn't ready. I want him comfortable out there, in the sense that he knows the offense, the adjustments, and all the verbage. Yes, there will still be an adjustment to the speed of the game, and complex defenses, etc. But there is no point in over whelming him, and I'm sure he is already on an accelerated timetable.

He's a good kid, he's smart, and he's capable of learning quickly. I'll stand with the coaches on this one, and when he's ready, he's ready. This can also translate to us winning more games. Case, the defense, the OL. and Gurley can hold the fort down.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Not to look past any other offensive positions, but our offensive line’s going to be a bright spot.”
I know everbodys talking Goff in this interview,but this line caught my attention.
If true.Look out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It won't take much for the staff to decide Goff gives them a better chance to win games. So for his sake I pray he really is a quick study because he's gonna see game time his rookie season. It's a matter of when.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Plus, it will boost his confidence to know that he earned enough trust from the coaching staff to start his first game on MNF against the whiners.

On the other hand, losing to the lowly Niners, who should have no shot, on the national stage his first NFL game is not the way you want the kid starting his career. I don't know that Monday Night Football against a division rival is the best spot to start a rookie, but it IS the niners...

Then facing the Seahawks?

Of course with this schedule, every game looks like a landmine.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm not going to obsess over when Goff starts, I trust Fisher won't start him until he feels he's ready. If it happens to be game 1, fine, if it's after the BYE, fine. Keenum won 3 of our last 4 games last season and we would have won the 4'th had Gurley not missed the game. Our O-Line was shot during those 4 games, so should it be necessary for Keenum to start once again with a healthy OL, a deeper receiving corps & Gurley, I believe the Rams can handle it.

If anything, I'd kinda like to see Fisher get extended a year or two so he doesn't feel rushed to get Goff on the field too early. jmo.

Yep. Not gonna obsess and I trust CK to take the baton until he's ready.

jap

Legend
I would have liked to hear we gave up a lot to get him because we believed he is good enough to start on day 1 so of course he will start. Now Fisher wants to go slow...I guess if he feels that is the best approach then fine...start Case. It probably is best but it makes me nervous... Goff wasn't cheap.

Fish didn't say he was going to start Case: he says he will start Jerad when he's ready. That's the way how things are supposed to be. You don't throw players to the wolves and damage|ruin their career early on---especially if you are making a big investment.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
The way Fisher seems to be hedging a little, I not too sure! we'll see!(y):)
I think he is saying those things to put less pressure on Goff. Kinda saying look, don't put any added pressure on yourself to try and learn quicker than you can. That is when mistakes happen But in the back of Fisher's mind I believe he knows he will be ready by week 1.