Rams eyeball T.J. Moe during draft visit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Rams eyeball T.J. Moe during draft visit

By Jim Thomas
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-eyeball-t-j-moe-during-draft-visit/article_00659b07-c21b-5c98-81cb-f79d74bfa16d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... fa16d.html</a>

091810_130b_pe_mu_fb_vs_san_diego_st_t620.jpg

Luckily for T.J. Moe, he’s not the nervous type. Because if he were, well, his stomach would’ve been churning during his “local” pre-draft visit Thursday to Rams Park

During the NFL’s so-called “top 30” visits, draft prospects aren’t allowed to work out for teams. But workouts are allowed at a local visit, which is for players who attended high school in the metropolitan area of that particular NFL team.

Moe, the wide receiver from the University of Missouri, attended high school at Fort Zumwalt West in O’Fallon, Mo., maybe 15-20 minutes west of the Rams Park facility in Earth City.

According to Moe, he attracted quite a crowd Thursday catching passes from Rams backup quarterback Austin Davis.

“You’re going through the workout and you have 50 sets of eyes on you,” Moe said. “We went through, they call it their slot receiver workout. Basically I ran their slot routes and a couple of their outside receiver routes.”

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer put Moe through the private workout. Wide receivers coach Ray Sherman was there, as were coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead, and several scouts.

“But I don’t really get too nervous about stuff like that,” Moe said. “I caught every ball they threw at me today. Every route.”

During another drill, Moe said Davis walked in a circle around him throwing passes.

“And I had to stand with my feet planted, facing one direction, and he went all 360 degrees around throwing just to see kinda what my catch radius was _ if I could catch from different angles, that kind of thing,” Moe said.

Moe said he did some classroom work with some of the coaches. One unidentified coach spent about a half hour teaching him a few things about the Rams’ offense. Then, Moe went to another room where Schottenheimer and Sherman quizzed him on the same subject matter to see what he retained.

“Bottom line is, they wanted to see if I’m smart enough to play,” Moe said. “If I could pick up the playbook and if I knew what I’m doing. It’s a whole new offense they throw at you, so you’re not going to get everything.”

Moe also met with special teams coordinator John Fassel and Rams director of player programs La’Roi Glover.

Moe said Fassel is “a guy that I’ve kinda created a neat relationship with since the Combine.”

Fassel was the only special teams coach Moe met at the NFL Scouting Combine in February among his various team interviews.

“I sat down with Coach Sherman the first night (at the Combine), and then the second night I sat down with Coach Fassel,” Moe said. “We talked back and forth for a while, and I was kinda intrigued and interested by just his philosophies and his mind.

“So the third day (of the Combine) I went and sat down with (Fassel) again. He wasn’t talking to anybody so I pulled up a chair and we watched film for about a half-hour on the Cowboys. So that was neat.”

After Thursday’s visit, Moe made a pit stop in O’Fallon for dinner with this family, and then drove back to Columbia, Mo. He’s not sure what he’s going to do on draft weekend.

If he gets drafted, he knows it will be on Day 3, when Rounds 4-7 take place, on Saturday April 27. But he doesn’t necessarily want a huge crowd around at home in case he doesn’t get drafted.

“I don’t know what I’m gonna do yet,” Moe said. “We were just talking about that today. We might even make it a no-girls-allowed rule. Mom and sisters maybe can’t be around.”

Huh?

“The thing is, if I knew I was gonna get drafted in the fourth, fifth round, it’s OK to have a lot of people there,” Moe said. “Say I slip and don’t get drafted at all, and then three or four people that everybody thinks for whatever reason I’m better than (get drafted). Everybody gets talking and that’s when you don’t want a lot of people around. And girls are the worst at that.”

Moe has made no other visits, but he’s starting to hear from other teams on the phone.

“I got a call today from a scout from the 49ers, and I hadn’t spoken to the 49ers one time,” Moe said. “This guy said, ‘Hey, I’ve been watching you for a while. I just wanted to get in touch after you had a great pro day. I wanted to make sure you got my number.’

“So who knows? Different teams call to make sure they’ve got your stuff. That probably just means you’re either on their board somewhere, or you are one of their priority free agents.”

WINGO VISITS

Also paying a local visit Thursday to Rams Park was Arkansas running back Ronnie Wingo Jr., who played his high school football at St. Louis University High. He had 1,699 yards rushing-receiving and scored 15 touchdowns over his Razorbacks career. Wingo is 6-1, 231, and was timed in 4.47 seconds in the 40 last month at Arkansas’ pro day. Like Moe, he played in the Texas vs. the Nation all-star game this offseason.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
OK, back the hell off 49ers!!!!! :grr:

paceram

Pro Bowler
Ramhusker said:

What pick/round do you think the Rams would need to use to assure that they get Moe?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
paceram said:
Ramhusker said:

What pick/round do you think the Rams would need to use to assure that they get Moe?
If every team drafts on wr in the first three rounds he'll be gone,if half the teams do he'll still be there in the 4th.
IMO we have to take him in the 4th IF we want him ,and I do.
The team IMO we are going to have to worry about most is KC,wanting a Mizzou kid.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I believe that Moe could be had with a seventh round pick. As much as I love the kid's abilities and his work ethic (he's been quite the ambassador to Mizzou over the years), he just hasn't put up the stats over the past two years (although he's never had a good quarterback to work with; James Franklin was atrocious last year and inconsistent the year before that, and Gabbert needs no explanation - he just flat out sucked as a player, even when he was in college. I still have no idea why he was selected in the first round.), and he's just not a physical specimen like Marquise Goodwin. Maybe you take him in the sixth round if you really like him and are concerned that another team will snatch him up, but the seventh is where I would select him.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Memento said:
I believe that Moe could be had with a seventh round pick. As much as I love the kid's abilities and his work ethic (he's been quite the ambassador to Mizzou over the years), he just hasn't put up the stats over the past two years (although he's never had a good quarterback to work with; James Franklin was atrocious last year and inconsistent the year before that, and Gabbert needs no explanation - he just flat out sucked as a player, even when he was in college. I still have no idea why he was selected in the first round.), and he's just not a physical specimen like Marquise Goodwin. Maybe you take him in the sixth round if you really like him and are concerned that another team will snatch him up, but the seventh is where I would select him.

That's how I see it too. You'd like to take him in the 7th but if you really want him, you might be tempted to snatch him in the 6th to make sure. I feel pretty confident he would be there in the 6th for the Rams.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Huge fan of Moe

As i'm sure a lot of you do, i'm a huge Mizzou guy. And Moe would be great security for Bradford i think. BUT, while i would love to get Moe in the late rounds, i would even more so love to get Ryan Swope in the 3rd.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well nun of you guys are gettin him if yer draftin agin me :tooth:
IMO he's as sure a thing as there is ,he'llcatch what you throw, he'll get open and he'll block like a tombstone

Linemen don't bench like he does.

Tysonn Clabo had three fewer reps at 225.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Thordaddy said:
Well nun of you guys are gettin him if yer draftin agin me :tooth:
IMO he's as sure a thing as there is ,he'llcatch what you throw, he'll get open and he'll block like a tombstone

Linemen don't bench like he does.

Tysonn Clabo had three fewer reps at 225.

Reading this made me even more excited. I'm ready

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Huge fan of Moe

El Juggernauto said:
As i'm sure a lot of you do, i'm a huge Mizzou guy. And Moe would be great security for Bradford i think. BUT, while i would love to get Moe in the late rounds, i would even more so love to get Ryan Swope in the 3rd.
Swope I agree has a lot more to offer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Re: Huge fan of Moe

El Juggernauto said:

Bingo. I really like that Swope fella too!

duckhunter

Starter
Moe can stick and contribute somewhere as a slot guy.

Swope, on the other hand, has unadultrated straight line speed and outstanding quickness. His hands are good and unreal shake and bake. He's a lot like Austin in the slot, IMO. Creates seperation on his own. He can give Givens a blow on the outside because he eats up the cushion so quickly. He can be a deep vertical threat, if needed.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I could see swope developing as an outside guy. He ran a lot of deep routes in college. He looked solid at the combine and it's just my speculation that he could be a Legos 1 or 2. As far as moe, made one of the best catches I saw at the combine doing the gauntlet run.

duckhunter

Starter
Another guy that I scratch my head over is Stills. Because Stills is from Oklahoma, he gets no love. Seems like I heard one analyst say Sooner WRs can't make it in the NFL. He burned my MIZZOU a few times. Great production. Played as a true Freshman if I remember correctly. He's listed as a slot guy most times but he played a ton on the outside. He has more speed and quickness than most of these guys. He runs past people like they are standing still. It wasn't only MIZZOU CBs.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
duckhunter said:
Another guy that I scratch my head over is Stills. Because Stills is from Oklahoma, he gets no love. Seems like I heard one analyst say Sooner WRs can't make it in the NFL. He burned my MIZZOU a few times. Great production. Played as a true Freshman if I remember correctly. He's listed as a slot guy most times but he played a ton on the outside. He has more speed and quickness than most of these guys. He runs past people like they are standing still. It wasn't only MIZZOU CBs.
I'm intrigued by Stills, and don't understand why he gets no love. Would be a good 3rd round pick, IMO.