Rams DT Nick Fairley – Press Conference – March 13, 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(On how he liked his surprise entry at Nick Foles’ introductory press conference)
“It was great. It was a surprise to you guys.”

(On if the Rams ran a contract downstairs for him to sign right before Foles’ press conference began)
“Actually it was right before he walked in. They ran it down to me then.”

(On what he said when the team asked if he wanted to go inside for the press conference)
“I was like, ‘Yeah, that’s a good idea.’”

(On what makes the Rams a good fit for him)
“Really just coming into a new group of guys that’s young and they’re moving forward and they’ve got great potential. So I’m just ready to add to this group.”

(On what makes it easier to bet on himself in St. Louis considering he signed a 1-year contract)
“I feel like it’s a perfect fit for me. The guys in this group, the D-line, they’re young, they’re moving forward and I want to be a part of it.”

(On what he thinks of the Rams defensive line and the opportunity to join this group)
“Great upside. Like I said earlier, they’re young and they’ve got great potential. They’re moving forward and I just want to be a part of it.”

(On if he has visions of 1-on-1 opportunities now that he’s playing alongside players such as Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn)
“You’ve got those guys up there and a guy next to me like Aaron that’s going to basically take on some double teams, I’m going to take on some double teams. So, it’s going to be a good fit for me.”

(On if he was surprised when the Rams called)
“Was I surprised? Not really. I feel like it’s a good fit for me, so I was ready to roll with it.”

(On how many teams he spoke with during free agency)
“Two.”

(On if he brings up to the coaches issues such as playing time and where he fits in since he was a first-round draft pick)
“Doesn’t matter to me. I’m ready to roll. I feel like if I get out here and get going then I’ll show them what I’ve got and they’re going to make it happen.”

(On if he feels like he has something to prove here)
“I don’t feel like I have anything to prove. It’s a new start for me. I’m just ready to start. (Going to) get here in April and get ready for these offseason workouts.”

(On if the Lions’ decision to not offer him the fifth-year tender was an early indicator that he would be on a different team)
“Not really. They didn’t pick it up. It’s just the nature of the business to me. I just took it and ran with it.”

(On if Detroit made an effort to keep him even after declining the option)
“I’d have to say, refer that to my agent because he took care of all that business.”

(On if he met Defensive Line Coach Mike Waufle and what he thinks of the ex-Marine)
“Yes, sir. Great guy. As a matter of fact my dad is an ex-Marine, so I knew a little bit about ex-Marines.”

(On if he’s talked to any of the players yet)
“A little bit. I talked to a couple guys downstairs. I can’t wait to get here in April so I can meet some new guys.”

(On which players he’s already spoken to)
“Actually Daren Bates, ‘War Eagle’ by the way. So I ran into him downstairs. Basically, all the Auburn guys were here and I ran into them.”

(On what he weighs now)
“Right now I’m at 280 (pounds).”

(On if he is trying to be an edge rusher at his current weight)
“No, I’m really just preparing myself for the long term, longevity, and everything.”

(On if he still has a personal chef)
“Now that I’m out here, I’m going to be looking for one out here. So, if anybody knows a chef, holler at me.”

(On if he wants to play at 280 lbs)
“No, I’m going to put on some muscle of course and everything. When I come back in April with the guys in the strength and conditioning program, I’m sure they’re going to get me to where I need to be.”

(On if he needed any surgery in the offseason to address his knee issues from last season)
“No sir.”

(On if he just needed time off and rehab)
“Been rehabbing.”

(On what knowledge he had about this team and coaching staff before he came here)
“Really, not too much. But, I can say when I was back in Detroit, we were watching these guys up front, you know what I’m saying? That’s how reckless they were. So, I know a little bit about the guys that played up front by watching them.”

(On if he can recall the Rams interest in him in 2011 when he was coming out in the draft)
“I can’t tell you that. I really don’t remember that one.”

(On what he brings to the defensive line)
“Energy. A little fun and Ws.”

(On what he knew about defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and his reputation before coming here)
“Really, not too much. Like I said, I really didn’t know the guys, the coaching staff. Now that I’m here, I’m going to get to know them real well.”

(On what impressed him the most about the Rams)
“The defense and the style they play. The attacking style. They like to get in the backfield and disrupt the edge upfront and that’s the kind of guy I am.”

(On if he likes to get after the quarterback)
“There you go. I don’t like them. But, I like Nick Foles, by the way.”

(On how much contact he had with former Lions teammate Ndamukong Suh during this process)
“We just texted each other and said, ‘Good luck,’ and that’s about it. When he signed his deal, I texted him, ‘Congratulations’. I’m sure he texted me, but I haven’t checked it.”

(On if he had a good feeling that he would sign here when he got here)
“Kind of sort of. I had a good feel for it. When I got out at the airport, I was kind of like, ‘I kind of like St. Louis. Felt good when I walked in the building.”

(On if he visited anywhere else)
“I left Cincinnati, coming here.”

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fairley looks WAY trimmed down from years past.
th

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
(On which players he’s already spoken to)
“Actually Daren Bates, ‘War Eagle’ by the way. So I ran into him downstairs. Basically, all the Auburn guys were here and I ran into them.
:ROFLMAO:

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I think this kid is gonna cause havoc this year. Somebody find him a damn chef so he can keep his weight under control. He's going to get coached up like never before.
Sounds like we got another balla on our hands gents.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He looks real slim. Thanks, X. Two pass rushing interior guys now, wow.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He's down 40lbs of fat. Which means he's SERIOUS on betting on himself.

That means we should expect good things.

We've seen his crazy explosion which is just as good as Donald's on his best day...

Fairley can make himself a TON of money and help make us a top 3 D if he stays serious...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Who needs a 4-3 when you can run a 5-2?
You know what, Lesson? Almost every team that was rated way better than us that we defeated in the Fisher/Snead era, we killed their QB's. We wrecked their game plans, with our pass rush. I think that will continue, and be a measuring stick for our success going forward. I think we have our identity now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He's down 40lbs of fat. Which means he's SERIOUS on betting on himself.

That means we should expect good things.

We've seen his crazy explosion which is just as good as Donald's on his best day...

Fairley can make himself a TON of money and help make us a top 3 D if he stays serious...
Agree. He's super quick, and disruptive like Donald when he's playing well.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

TxRamsFan

UDFA
I love this pick up. We can knock fisher for millions of different things...but I feel like one thing we CANT* Knock fisher on...is getting the most out of "at-risk" players...or any player that's on his team. Look at Kenny Britt....Alec Ogletree....Janoris Jenkins etc. Now are they the best? No. But the Brother has away of grabbing a young man and getting him to focus long enough to put himself in a successful position every Sunday.

Now Mondays and thursdays Because Rams Nation Is Going PRIME TIME!!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know that Fairley was on a good Defensive Line in Detroit but I hope he is motivated by the Williams attacking defense and the enthusiasm of our young team. I get the feeling that Detroit has not been the most fun place to play. That team has a bit of a pall over it IMO.

Maybe Fisher and the rest of the coaches along with the players can motivate Fairley and we won't see that lazy side that he is labelled with.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Going All In With D-Line With Farley Deal

PFT’s Mike Florio discusses Nick Farley’s one-year deal with the Rams and just how good St. Louis’ defensive line could be next season.

Watch Florio Talk Rams D-Line

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Back in the day ,many said Sapp owed a lot of his success to Booger McFarland , that's how I see this with Fairly, Donald will be unstoppable

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Maybe Fisher and the rest of the coaches along with the players can motivate Fairley and we won't see that lazy side that he is labelled with.

Williams will motivate him to either play hard or to leave quickly! He won't get by with taking plays off with this level of competition and coaching on the D line.