Rams “Definitely” Value Austin Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No FA center signing. Blythe still a FA. Sure looks like center will be someone already on the roster. After listening to recent comments on video by McVay Snead and Kromer talking up T Anchrum, They all hint that he can play anywhere on the OL. Could he possibly be rams next center? 6'2, 320lbs, long wingspan, high football IQ, comes from highly successful college (Clemson), 30+ college starts. Anchrum has all the measureables to be a center.With Staford now Rams QB, it lessens the need for center to make all the OL calls. No way to know until TC unless they actually come out out and say they're trying Anchrum out at center. I have a sneaking suspicion they already have and like what they've seen.
I believe you summed up my thoughts very well on this pending new Ram starting center situation. :fistbump::)

I see no need to rush to sign a starting 2021 center. Snead & McVay are really sitting in a good position at this time. Snead can easy enough sign a veteran UFA or a WWC center without having any damage to his current outstanding position he has this Ram Organization on the March 2022 Compensatory four draft selection awards!

If Blythe remains unsigned then when TC begins Snead can sign him back to another low-cost 1 yr contract which is great for this team. That does not mean that Blythe will start either. Blythe could end up as a game day swing interior reserve & serve the team well in this position.

Snead also could wait till some of those presently injured veteran UFA centers (There are about four of them) who are unhealthy have been given the length of time they need to get healthy & then snatch one @ that moment in time again at a lower cap hit 1 yr deal.

In the Rams camp, it appears that he has four potential OC prospects under contract {Shelton/ Corbett/ Allen & Anchrum} before the draft no telling how many after the draft. Austin Corbett has the most experience & has been in the NFL since being draft just 1 spot out of the first round of the 2018 draft. 36 NFL gms & 16 starts. Coleman Shelton like Corbett has been in the NFL since 2018. He has played in 27 NFL gms with 78 snaps with the Ram offense 2019/2020. ROD's household kicking bag Brian Allen also has been in the NFL since 2018 now entering his 4th season & TC. He has played in 24 NFL gms. with 9 starts. Then there's new short guy Tremayne Anchrum who resembles what most all NFL centers look like .... was a 2020 7th rd draft pick who suited up for 14 NFL games as a rookie. That's not a bad group of prospects.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
As a backup for the interior OL spots, Blythe is a pretty darn good depth/insurance option to have on your SB contending roster.
Starting iOL - hmmmm....

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thanks Boni. I would add that leaving Corebett at LG and just replacing Blythe does least to disrupt the continuity of the current OL. Just one of the OL is changed. Corebett has been servicable at LG and he may be a big help in settleing in a new center.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously the Rams are letting the market determine Blythe's value. And right now, it is fairly low. They are at risk of losing him, which shows they don't value him that much. I'm pretty confident the Rams want him back... he played ok at Guard and Center although he gets overpowered a lot. The Rams are just letting the market set his value. But the Center position is still up for grabs at this point, and the Rams are running out of options. If Blythe signs elsewhere, I hope they don't have to draft "for need" at center with their very first pick. Fish was notorious for that and it rarely worked out.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
They may want him back but at a price with no guarantees so they don't take a cap hit when they start the rookie and cut him.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Obviously the Rams are letting the market determine Blythe's value. And right now, it is fairly low. They are at risk of losing him, which shows they don't value him that much. I'm pretty confident the Rams want him back... he played ok at Guard and Center although he gets overpowered a lot. The Rams are just letting the market set his value. But the Center position is still up for grabs at this point, and the Rams are running out of options. If Blythe signs elsewhere, I hope they don't have to draft "for need" at center with their very first pick. Fish was notorious for that and it rarely worked out.

At last, after 200+ posts, you have succinctly explained the true meaning of this thread. It should be titled "The Rams Definitely Value Austin Blythe. His Value is Low."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just do not think the Rams options are running out. There are well over a dozen NFL FA centers still available, not all fully healthy at this point. Most have had many starting seasons. There are always the draft & trade options too.

2021 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac