Rams' core was in place when Fisher arrived

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ASSOCIATED PRESS

460x.jpg

Though the previous regime was a huge failure from a won-loss standpoint, it drafted pass rush stalwarts Robert Quinn and Chris Long, plus perennial leading tackler James Laurinaitis. Some top backups, too.

"Fish, he and Les have done a great job of tailoring the personnel to what they like, and getting people that were the perfect fit," Quinn said Wednesday after the first of two bye-week practices.

"We've had our ups and downs, but every week we're pretty much in the game, and it starts upstairs."

Quinn leads the NFC with a career-best 12 sacks and is 1½ behind Colts linebacker Robert Mathis for the NFL lead. Last year, he reached double digits for the first time.

"If Rob doesn't go to the Pro Bowl, they should cancel the Pro Bowl," Long said. "If Rob doesn't go to the Pro Bowl I don't know what I'm going to do.

"I might boycott the state of Hawaii or something."

Quinn had two sacks at Indianapolis, stripping Andrew Luck to set up Long's fumble return for the game's first touchdown. Long said it was his first touchdown at any level and joked he covered the 45 yards in "1.5 seconds."

"For us to get a bounce like that, it's really helpful — especially on the road," said Long, who has 6½sacks. "We have the ingredients in this locker room, and if we just put it together like we did, we can be pretty darned good."

Laurinaitis was typically steady at middle linebacker, with an interception.

The Rams (4-6) totaled four interceptions with three against Luck, matching his season total the previous eight games. The Colts never threatened another comeback effort they've been known for, and were held to just 18 yards rushing and 2 for 12 on third down.

The Rams also dominated in a Monday night loss to the Seahawks, allowing only 135 total yards — although 80 of those yards came on the key touchdown.

So, there's plenty of talent. But heading into the bye week, there have been wild swings.

"Our whole thing has been finishing games," cornerback Trumaine Johnson said.

In an early three-week stretch, Atlanta, Dallas and San Francisco all put up 30 or more points. The Rams had five sacks in a 25-point rout at Houston in Week 6, and couldn't hold Carolina down the next week.

A week ago at home, Chris Johnson ran for 150 yards and two touchdowns, including the tie-breaking 19-yard run late in the Titans' 28-21 win. Tennessee had 198 yards rushing.

"We'll think we have the perfect game plan and we'll get out-schemed," Quinn said. "It's nothing to do with the personnel.

"Definitely, we can't let that happen again."

Coach Jeff Fisher noted on his radio show that different running styles can complicate the job. But not that much.

"Yeah, every week's a challenge," Fisher said. "I don't want 200 yards this week and 1 yard next week and averaging 100 yards a game."

Rookie safety T.J. McDonald has returned to practice from a broken leg that landed him on injured reserve/designated for return. McDonald must miss one more game, before he's eligible to return.

Most players planned nothing special for the upcoming break, concentrating on rest. The same went for Fisher, who joked "I'll probably go get a cup of coffee or something like that."

Rookie running back Zac Stacy said he was headed back to Vanderbilt to "support the Commodores" against underdog Kentucky.

Plus, he added, "I know I owe a couple of guys some Shoney's breakfasts."

___

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How does one quantify a core anyway?

Lesson

Oh, really?
I'll say Bradford, Laurinaitis, Long, Quinn were all here prior to Fisher arriving. Outside of those players, I don't really see any other "core" guys. You could count Saffold, but at this point, I don't think he's considered apart of the core due to his injury history and his move from LT to RT.

Aside from those guys, nice supplemental players like Pettis, Dahl, Cudjo were in St. Louis prior to the current regime.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I'll say Bradford, Laurinaitis, Long, Quinn were all here prior to Fisher arriving. Outside of those players, I don't really see any other "core" guys. You could count Saffold, but at this point, I don't think he's considered apart of the core due to his injury history and his move from LT to RT.

Aside from those guys, nice supplemental players like Pettis, Dahl, Cudjo were in St. Louis prior to the current regime.
I would add SJ and Kendricks to that list. SJ is gone now, but he was a core player last year.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I would add SJ and Kendricks to that list. SJ is gone now, but he was a core player last year.

Kendricks completely flew by my head. Yeah, he should be included.

I agree with your point about SJ, too.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
How does one quantify a core anyway?

A core would mean to me that there were at the very least a few players on each side of the ball that were going to be the stars and were already there and playing well or showing growth and that they just needed complimentary players alongside them and some depth.

But this Rams roster didn't have that. It had to be gutted to make room for guys who might be that.

There was the beginning of a core, a start, but not a core. There is a core now but it was put in place partially by the previous guys and partially by the current guys.

And so this is out there I do not consider JL part of a core. He is a solid MLB and no more than that. The previous guys get credit for Quinn, Long and Bradford. But considering the draft slots that isn't earning a lot of mojo.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
In print it kinda sound like Quinn is slamming the coaching staff.....

"We'll think we have the perfect game plan and we'll get out-schemed," Quinn said. "It's nothing to do with the personnel".

Am I the only one taking it that way? Huh...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

"We'll think we have the perfect game plan and we'll get out-schemed," Quinn said. "It's nothing to do with the personnel".

Not really. Not if he said "We'll think..."
That includes the players.

Kind of an odd statement, and hard to get a read on what that means.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here are the players that are here now that were here when Snead & Fisher pulled up. I would say the article has some merit to it.

Defensive Core?
DE Chris Long/starter
DT Eugene Sims
DT Jermille Cudjo
DE Rob Quinn/starter
LB JL/starter
Safety D. Stewart/starter

Offensive Core?
QB-Sam Bradford/starter
WR- Austin Pettis/starter
OL-Rodger Saffold/starter
LS-Jake McQuade

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Here are the players that are here now that were here when Snead & Fisher pulled up. I would say the article has some merit to it.

Defensive Core?
DE Chris Long/starter
DT Eugene Sims
DT Jermille Cudjo
DE Rob Quinn/starter
LB JL/starter

Offensive Core?
QB-Sam Bradford/starter
LS-Jake McQuade

Sorry I wouldn't consider that close to a core. But thats just me.

Long above avg.
Sims OK
Cudjo backup
Quinn Pro bowler/starter star
JL Avg a little above
Stewart.....

Bradford...Getting better
Pettis starter OK
Saffold/replaceable
McQuade

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Nope, I thought the same thing. The second statement almost quantifies the first....if that makes sense. Interesting.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So can anyone quantify what a core is? Like, what pieces would constitute a core?

QB - obviously
DE's - yeah, you need those
MLB - yeah
How many corners? one?
Receivers? How many?

Or is it simply about veteran leadership in place? And again, how many?
The whole thing just seems very subjective to me.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

Defensive Core?
DE Chris Long/starter
DT Eugene Sims
DT Jermille Cudjo
DE Rob Quinn/starter
LB JL/starter

Offensive Core?
QB-Sam Bradford/starter
LS-Jake McQuade

I agree with your list. Thats all we have to show for the pain.

But after all the high picks from the 15-65 epoch that's a pretty sad list.
3 real starters on defense, and 3 on offense. Only 1 ( Quinn) that is considered elite at his position.
I never count a long snapper in any type of core.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
So can anyone quantify what a core is? Like, what pieces would constitute a core?

QB - obviously
DE's - yeah, you need those
MLB - yeah
How many corners? one?
Receivers? How many?

Or is it simply about veteran leadership in place? And again, how many?
The whole thing just seems very subjective to me.

Hmm. I would guess 3-4 solid players on either side. In addition to a QB, a solid #1 WR or at least a very good prospect. That and/or a bell cow RB. Defensively, you need the DE, the MLB and at least one good CB and S. When I think of an excellent "core", I think of the 90-91 Dallas Cowboys.....and then I puke.