Rams’ contracts talks with Jalen Ramsey will be a hot topic at training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rams’ contracts talks with Jalen Ramsey will be a hot topic at training camp

Jalen Ramsey’s thumbs aren’t as quick as his feet. But close.

News of a contract extension for Chargers star defensive end Joey Bosa had barely hit the Internet when the Rams’ cornerback tapped out his reaction on Twitter.

“2016 Draft Class 1-4 gettin paid & I love it kus they all deserve it!!” the Rams cornerback wrote Tuesday night.

View: https://twitter.com/jalenramsey/status/1288296171476156416?s=21

Ramsey wasn’t just dishing out compliments to the top four picks in the 2016 NFL draft – Rams quarterback Jared Goff, Philadelphia quarterback Carson Wentz, Bosa and Dallas running back Ezekiel Elliott – whose contract extensions the past two summers have an average value of nearly $27 million a season.

He was dishing out compliments knowing – and knowing that interested readers know – Ramsey was the fifth pick in that draft and is up for a contract extension of his own.

This wasn’t quite like a year ago when Ramsey, then a Jacksonville Jaguar, arrived at training camp in an armored truck to deliver the message that he was ready to get paid. But close.

The Rams really need no reminder that Ramsey is going into the final year of his rookie contract. As are wide receiver Cooper Kupp and safety John Johnson, as well as tight end Gerald Everett, wide receiver Josh Reynolds and linebacker Samson Ebukam. Other Rams who could be free agents after 2020 include cornerback Troy Hill, offensive lineman Austin Blythe, outside linebacker Leonard Floyd and long snapper Jake McQuaide.

And the Rams don’t need to be reminded of Ramsey’s value after trading away their 2020 and 2021 first-round draft picks and their 2021 fourth-rounder to acquire the three-time Pro Bowler in October.

On Tuesday, Ramsey was named No. 37 in the annual NFL Top 100 rankings voted by the league’s players. Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald was No. 3, and Kupp made the list for the first time at No. 89.

Ramsey was third among cornerbacks, and at age 25, he has a bigger future than No. 9 Stephon Gilmore of New England, who is 29, and No. 28 Richard Sherman of San Francisco, who is 32.

Ramsey and Rams coach Sean McVay haven’t publicly addressed the negotiations since May. Both were reassuring then, Ramsey saying, “It’ll get handled” and he would report to training camp on time, McVay saying Ramsey’s agent and team management have had “a lot of dialogue.”

Kupp said, in April, of his contract negotiations: “There’s so much is going on in the world right now. It’s really not a priority at this time.”

With training camp in Thousand Oaks opening Monday, expect the subject to come up – especially the Ramsey negotiations, since his next contract could set records for defensive backs.

Among the questions:

• What is Ramsey worth? The highest-salaried cornerbacks are Philadelphia’s Darius Slay ($16.7 million a year on a three-year contract) and Miami’s Byron Jones ($16.5 million a year, five years). Ramsey is four years younger than Slay, two years younger than Jones.

Who says Ramsey should get more? None other than Slay, who responded to Bosa’s $27 million-a-year deal by tweeting Tuesday that a top cornerback “better be getting 22-23 come next yr.”

View: https://twitter.com/bigplay24slay/status/1288293758090477575?s=21

A more reasonable guess is $18-20 million. Under ordinary circumstances. But nothing is ordinary now.

• How does the coronavirus pandemic affect this? Pandemic conditions will crush the salary cap. The $198.2 million-per-team cap for 2020 would fall to $175 million for 2021 under a reported agreement between the NFL and the NFL Players Association to spread out the effects of 2020 revenue losses over several seasons. That complicates things for any team looking at new star contracts.

• Where will the money come from? The Rams’ current salary-cap space is only $5.1 million, according to OverTheCap.com. Jason Fitzgerald, an analyst for that website, wrote in May – before factoring in the pandemic’s impact – that the Rams’ cap space could rise to $39.8 million in 2021. But that would require restructuring current contracts or continuing to cut well-paid players as the Rams have done this year.

• When could a deal be done? The Rams’ big, recent extensions were announced in July (2018 for Todd Gurley for four years and $14.4 million per, and Brandin Cooks for five years and $16.2 million per), August (2018 for Donald at six years and $22.5 million per) and early September (2019 for Jared Goff for four yeas and $33.5 million per). It’s ideal to conclude negotiations that way, before they become in-season distractions or valued players start to consider free agency.

They’re talking. But are they close? We’ll see.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If the Rams let Kupp go i might go shit crazy. Look at the difference in his outlook on life compared to jerks like gurley and Mathews.

He is a Ram.

As for ramsey I'm guessing they already have terms agreed to and just waiting to finalise and announce it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ramsey is a top shelf player at his position. If he stays healthy, he’ll be in that debate for a while.

He’s been a healthy player in his career.

My only hope the Rams have the We-not-Me read on him. The trade from JAX was a little weird on the lead-up.

03E28CCC-AB65-4957-A9AD-4AB319C8D566.jpeg

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not a fan of these big juiced up contracts. The second that most of these high dollar contracts are signed, production inevitably declines. Austin, Gurley (injury, but still), Goff declined a bit, Quinn fell off the map, and that’s just a few names off the top, etc. I hope we don’t have that situation here with Ramsey. He wasn’t playing at a great level last year. I think Peterson had a better year. I hope Ramsey comes back strong, and that’s if they even play a full season this year. Just sayin’.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

If the Rams let Kupp go i might go shit crazy. Look at the difference in his outlook on life compared to jerks like gurley and Mathews.

He is a Ram.

As for ramsey I'm guessing they already have terms agreed to and just waiting to finalise and announce it.

Kupp is something special. His best play is ahead of him. The Rams need to find a way to keep him and hopefully they will.

If the Rams and Ramsay don't yet have an agreement on specific terms imo they have an understanding about how to determine Ramsay's market value and the timing of a deal. This one will get done.

oldnotdead

Legend
The only one talking about Ramsey's upcoming contract is the media. The only one worried about how they will do the contract is the media. IMO the FO has already reassured Jalen and his agent of their intentions to extend him. Ramsey will be another key element in building the Rams roster into one of the best in the NFL. He will be the AD of the secondary, allowing Staley options in how to play his guys. Last year it was the same noise and the answer is always the same.

Next year the Rams are expected to have about $1.1M in cap space to begin the season. They can clear about $16.9M making roster cuts giving them $18M. The Rams gave Robinson a 2-year extension already. Floyd is also under contract until 2022. This makes Kupp and Ramsey the two priority extensions. I would expect them to restructure Donald's contract perhaps extending it one more year but perhaps clearing another $10M or so. That would give them enough to sign both to cap-friendly contracts that kick the big money down the road by a year. In other words, once again the cap is doable and that cap number is based upon the worse case scenario of the cap. IMO they won't need to touch AD's contract because I think the cap will be closer to $180-$185M.

The Rams will have the money to re-sign both Kupp and Ramsey next year and I'm sure the FO has talked to them about their intentions and it's why neither player is worried. When you look at this roster next year you will notice how young they are. That is what will give them the cap space to keep that elite talented core of key players. This all points to a FO that has a long term plan on building and maintaining this roster at a high level. In 2022 there should be a vaccine in play and no worries about the season and the cap should again be on the rise.

dang

Legend
I’m not a fan of these big juiced up contracts. The second that most of these high dollar contracts are signed, production inevitably declines. Austin, Gurley (injury, but still), Goff declined a bit, Quinn fell off the map, and that’s just a few names off the top, etc. I hope we don’t have that situation here with Ramsey. He wasn’t playing at a great level last year. I think Peterson had a better year. I hope Ramsey comes back strong, and that’s if they even play a full season this year. Just sayin’.
Did you see Peterson play last year?? Yes he had 3 interceptions for TDs last year but he is the epitome of a ‘ME not WE’ player with his roller skating backwards tackling and blown coverages. I loved the Peterson signing when it happened but my Chiefs friends said they were glad to get rid of him. I am so glad the Rams didn’t fall into the trap of paying big $$$ for that type of player.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Did you see Peterson play last year?? Yes he had 3 interceptions for TDs last year but he is the epitome of a ‘ME not WE’ player with his roller skating backwards tackling and blown coverages. I loved the Peterson signing when it happened but my Chiefs friends said they were glad to get rid of him. I am so glad the Rams didn’t fall into the trap of paying big $$$ for that type of player.

Er, you guys do mean Peters, right?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This is something most people dont want to hear but I expect Jalen to have the same fate as the other big name CBs we traded for. He will get traded just like Peters and Talib. This team is up against the cap as it is and the salary cap is projected to fall in response to the virus situation. I expect McVay/Snead will take advantage of his inflated value and trade him at some point before the deadline to recoup some draft capital (we need a LT next year and we currently dont have a first round pick).

Signing Ramsey means we would have to cut/lose multiple talented players just to keep him. He is not signing for less than $20 million a year and he is not taking a home town discount for anybody. He ultimately prefers to be with the Raiders or Titans and he has said as much himself.

Trade him for a as much as you can and start rebuilding this roster with young/cheap talent.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He ultimately prefers to be with the Raiders or Titans and he has said as much himself.
When did he ever say that?
Dude came in and balled for us, unlike Peters and Talib.
They knew the salary cap problem when they traded for him, they’ll figure it out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jalen Ramsey’s final 6 games were dominant by any measure

The LA Rams defense is better with Jalen Ramsey. There, we settled it. Ramsey is good. But just how good is he and how “locked in” was Ramsey in the second half of the season?

No matter where you look, you’re going to find that Ramsey is good. Really good. Maybe the best cornerback in the NFL, if not last season, then arguably next. Last week, one tweet making it around noted that PFF tracked Ramsey with only one game in the final six in which he allowed more than 12 receiving yards.

Why “more than 12”? Well, it is safe to assume that PFF saw the second-most yards surrendered in that span was 12, so then yeah, just go above that.

View: https://twitter.com/jb_long/status/1288508184588476416?s=21

But one issue I have with “advanced stats” and “analytics” reporting and tracking is the inconsistency site-to-site. There isn’t a governing body — certainly not the NFL — going around disputing any of what is reported. Who would? Who cares?

Well, we use statistical information all the time to debate and determine the value of each player. In the cases of many, we use indisputable numbers like “yards gained” and “touchdowns scored” and “turnovers” because it’s all there for us to see and rather easily confirm. You can dispute which players were responsible for those stats — an interception is always tagged to the QB even though it is often not the QBs fault, whereas a sack can be attributed to the offensive line when it is the QBs fault — but not what they are.

Five yards is five yards.

“Advanced stats” and “analytics” seem to be struggling in this area and until the NFL itself begins reporting official numbers like yards allowed by a cornerback ... well, that’s not true. PFF doesn’t keep the same sack numbers as the NFL.

There’s simply no consistency and yet what’s first read seems to be what is believed.

Case in point, I wanted to confirm or at least double check a second resource on the reported “12 yards” number by PFF by way of JB Long. I went to Pro-Football-Reference, which shows the yards allowed by each player in each box score last season. From Week 11-Week 16, Ramsey’s final six games, they showed five games in which Ramsey allegedly surrendered more than 12 yards.

This is simply a clarification on numbers, not a condemnation of Ramsey: PFR says he allowed more yards than PFF does, but Ramsey was still dominant, surrendering zero touchdowns, 15-of-25 completions, one interception, and one contest in which the QB didn’t challenge him at all.

Week 11 vs Bears: 2-of-7, 17 yards, 0 TD, 10.7 Average Depth of Target

Week 12 vs Ravens: 3-of-4, 27 yards, 0 TD, 6.3 ADOT

Week 13 vs Cardinals: 0 targets on 38 snaps

Week 14 vs Seahawks: 6-of-7, 71 yards, 0 TD, 7.6 ADOT

Week 15 vs Cowboys: 1-of-1, 19 yards, 0 TD, 19 ADOT

Week 16 vs 49ers: 3-of-6, 58 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 14.7 ADOT

Other than a surprisingly accurate performance by Russell Wilson in Week 14, the only remaining evidence in the track record here shows that Ramsey could be a candidate to take Stephon Gilmore’s place as Defensive Player of the Year. Whether it was PFF or PFR, we know and can confirm that Ramsey was excellent.

Should these sites ever get on the same page, or at least share details of how they can be so far apart, it would only further strengthen the case for Ramsey and others.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Kupp is something special. His best play is ahead of him. The Rams need to find a way to keep him and hopefully they will.

If the Rams and Ramsay don't yet have an agreement on specific terms imo they have an understanding about how to determine Ramsay's market value and the timing of a deal. This one will get done.

Kupp is something special.. but so is Ramsey and hes only 25 where as Kupp is 27 already. Lockdown corner vs a great WR, its a tough call, but WRs are easier to draft right? I mean who knows what Van Jefferson becomes. Right now I dont want to think about losing Kupp because I absolutely love him. But can we afford to pay him and Ramsey both? I think the Gurley and Cooks contract fiascoes will lead us to choosing one. And we gave up two 1st round picks for Ramsey. Hopefully we can get them both done, and I'm already assuming both JJ and Everett are gone next year. But if push comes to shove we have to choose.. it's Ramsey right? I'm not a cap expert so dont know the likelihood of us working out market value contracts with both. But last year in a new defense with pretty bad safeties behind him he had his worst year. Rapp is very good in the box in run support, but he struggled big time in pass coverage..and Weddle was just atrocious last season all around. Ramsey's best years are definitely ahead of him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ramsey is a top shelf player at his position. If he stays healthy, he’ll be in that debate for a while.

He’s been a healthy player in his career.

My only hope the Rams have the We-not-Me read on him. The trade from JAX was a little weird on the lead-up.

View attachment 37918

I’m not worried about the tude.

He said he wanted to feel wanted and didn’t feel that way in Jacksonville. Fowler and others have said the same thing, management issues drive away top talents.

That being said, Ramey has always had his teammates back. You know when he did that article trashing all the QBs in the league? He didn’t trash Blakey boy, because that was his QB. For what it’s worth, Goff didn’t get praise, but didn’t land in the “he sucks” category. Was called Average to above Average which in that article basically was just below “he’s good/MVP candidate.

So Ramsey will talk shit and be passionate, but he stands behind his teammates it seems.

Plus with his daughter he seem more interested in transitioning into the father role. Said he stopped swearing because of her and that’ll carry over onto the field (he will still talk shit, just keep it clean), staying at home to be with her and help raise her, I think his head is screwed on right and we can give him that contract.

As much as I love Gurley my biggest worry about his contract was always where his heart was. It’s clear he’s not gonna be a Frank Gore playing forever, I think as soon as our contract ended he would have left the league and moved into entertainment/marketing/music, the LA scene. I still think he’ll do that probably around the time he’s 30. Not that it’s a bad thing, but it always semi made me worry about his commitment. I have no such thoughts about Ramsey, pay him and I think he just sticks around and takes care of his family.

Like you’re gonna get when Goff locks his lady down and starts his own family, or what we have with Hekker and Kupp and so many others, Taylor Rapp, Whitworth, Reynolds, etc. Similar with Donald, you know if he’s not in the gym he’s studying, he’s always thinking football. Ramsey is like that, no worry about him getting a big contract.