Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 5/5/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are only excerpts from the Q&A because some questions are either dumb, redundant or have to do with relocation or stadium issues(but I repeat myself). To read the whole Q&A click the link below.

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_89?Page=0
From what you heard and the experiences you know of, what are the chances Gurley will be back 100% ... is it a 50/50 thing? is being younger a better sign? AP recovery was not normal, but what are the chances of an AP type recovery for Gurley

Interesting question to get us started. I think eventually Gurley will be 100 percent. In most cases, it seems like it's usually the second year back from such an injury where players are the same. But I think it's very likely that Gurley should be close to 100 percent this season _ maybe just not at the start.
---------
I read a from the war room story that claimed the Rams had round 2 grades on Haverstein ands Brown. Do you know if that is true. Could the Rams be right and the paid pundits off on this one?

Of course it's true. Why would I ever doubt anything the Rams put out there? :)
-------
What is your best guess as to how our offensive line would look today? Robinson/Jamon Brown/Barrett Jones/Saffold/Havenstein?

You mean starters? LT Robinson, LG Saffold, C Jones, RG Brown or Reynold, RT Havenstein.
--------
Were you in Chicago or STL during the draft? Either way, was there an audible gasp among reporters when they took Gurley?

In St. Louis. There was no "audible gasp" at Rams Park, but we were surprised.
---------
Is it true that the Rams really had Gurley as their #1 or #2 player on their board? Does that mean that if Amari Cooper was still there at 10, they would have bypassed him and still took Gurley?

So they say. I believe Gurley, Mariota, and Scherff were in their top 3. So I guess, yeah, if they stick by their board they would've taken Gurley over Cooper.
-------
All those Rams draft picks for the offense, was Jeff Fisher heavily sedated?

If it weren't for the press conference each day, he (and Gregg Williams) could've gone fishing Thursday and Friday. :)
-------
Seems like the Jags got Wiz CHEAP considering the slim options at C. Did the Rams make a legitimate pursuit or was that just a smokescreen for draft plans?

There's more to the Wiz situation than meets the eye. That's all I'll say at this point.
-------
I thought your C+ was a little harsh. Give them credit for going 7 straight picks on offense, something we thought Fisher would do. I think we get a 2 starting linemen out of the group and am pumped about Gurley.

I just thought they should've gone O-line earlier. And Gurley was a luxury pick in part because of needs on the O-line.
--------
Thanks for the awesomely cryptic Wiz answer (seriously, no sarcasm)! Here's another:

The Steelers grabbed both BJ Finney & Reese Dismukes as undrafted free agents, despite the fact both had 4-5 round draft grades. Any interest in THEM from the Rams?

There may be a time when I can be more specific on Wiz. Unaware of any interest from Rams in B.J. Finney and Dismukes. Dismukes is small.
-------
Anything on Barksdale or Blalock?

As you may have seen, Barksdale visited Atlanta Monday, but no deal signed. I'm told he's still interested in the Rams, but don't think there's much going on in terms of talks. I think it's quiet on Blalock.
--------
Jim your way of thinking makes me wonder if we would have a Rookie of the year on defense. If you have a chance to upgrade a position why not do that?

I liked the Donald pick.
--------
What's the scope on the QB position? I heard some say it's an open competition and some say Foles is the guy and the rest are competing for roster spots. Also why take Mannion and not Hundley or Petty?

Don't think there's any doubt that Foles is the starter in 2015. Rams obviously liked Mannion better than both in part because unlike Hundley and Petty, he played in a pro-style offense in college which means he should make a pretty quick adjust to the NFL game.
--------
But not the Gurley pick, to me he looks like once in a while football player,they don't come around every year.

Well, the Rams didn't need 3 starting offensive linemen when they picked Donald. They didn't have a great interior pass-rusher when they drafted Donald. And Donald was healthy.
--------
La El Collins are we in pursuit?

I can't tell you for sure, but I'm sure they're monitoring the situation.
--------
Why wouldn't the Rams take a flier on La'el Collins in the 6th or 7th? Prior to Day 3 of the draft, the league let everyone know he could not re-enter the 2016 draft or supplemental draft. Why not get a leg up on the other teams by taking a chance on a guy the Rams had in for a Pre-Draft visit? If it was a PR thing, I think moving the team is worse PR and if the Rams want bad PR to deter fans to help the move, this could help (even though the cops say he is not a suspect). So now will they try to make a move for him or not?

I agree with your thinking. Why not use one of those seventh-round picks on him and see what happens. And then if it turns out he's a suspect, you just release him.
--------
Prediction on how many games Gurley will play/start and how many yard he will rush for......is he a possible rookie of the month if healthy

12 games/10 starts, 800 yards. Yes on possible rookie of the month.
---------
Austin Davis on roster for season opener?

I'm gonna say yes, Davis beats out Case Keenum for backup job. Rams keep Foles, Davis, and Mannion.
--------
Forget odds or a record, right now, where do we rank in the West 1-4?

Rams finish third in the NFC West behind Seattle and Arizona _ and ahead of San Francisco.
--------
Two years ago, it was Indianapolis. Last year it was Denver. Which game on the 2015 schedule do you predict to be this season's "surprise" victory?

Pittsburgh.
--------
Fisher and Snead don't seem to have any passion to have "the" QB for the Rams, "a" QB will do just fine. Maybe they put all that passion into Sam four years ago and there is nothing left?

Well, finding "the" QB is not an easy thing to do. And it sounds like the asking price for Mariota might have included the Gateway Arch. Doesn't seem like Tennessee was serious about trading him.
--------
Gurley taking Stacey's old #30 - anything to it or is it just the closest he could get to his UGA number? (#3 I believe)

Maybe he was playing off the 3 at Georgia. Heck of a coincidence but I don't read anything into it. #Yikes
--------
Having done any more digging on some of the OL? Seems like Havenstein could've been gotten later. On the other hand, give 'em credit for getting the guy(s) they wanted?

Yeah, it seemed like Havenstein and Brown were a little bit overdrafted. But when Havenstein was taken he was about the last offensive tackle on the board that you could look at and say "this guy can start for me this year." It was either take him there or be in trouble.
---------
how many of the offensive linemen the rams drafted will begin the season as starters? too early, i'm sure, but which one(s)? what do you think of the ol drafted?

Barring injury, I'd say Havenstein for sure. Possibly Brown. (But if Brown's not ready, Garrett Reynolds could be the opening day starter.)
-------
given the run of OL - how do the Rams now view OL FA's Blaylock and Barksdale - I am sure they are interested in both, which FA makes more sense - and should Givens be concerned about the Sasser pick? #Yikes?

Not sure how much interest the Rams have in either players at this point, although Fisher says re-signing Barksdale is still possible. If Barksdale comes back he's got to know that sooner or later he will probably be the team's No. 3 OT. I mean, you draft second-rounders (Havenstein) to be starters.
--------
I like the rams draft, Gurley will be special,and OL will be better than last year. Maybe no pro bowlers, but better than last year . Would like to hear opinion

It is so difficult for rookie O-linemen to step in early. See: Greg Robinson. Especially without much experience around them. I think potentially the O-line can be better but it seems optimistic it can happen this year with so much youth.
-------
Do you think Havenstein is an upgrade over Barksdale at RT?

You know, I think Havenstein projects as a better run blocker. But not sure on pass blocking. And will have to look at Havenstein as a Ram.
-------
Wondered if there was a message from the NFL offices regarding La'el Collins. Would have thought that Rams or any team could have picked him in the 7th round, as it would have been a worthy risk depending on the outcome from his legal issue. Not too many 7th rounders' make it away.

Not aware of any such directive. Yeah, I would have picked him in the seventh round. Especially when the Rams got that extra seventh from Carolina as part of the second-round trade-down.
-------
I thought that draft was a disaster: There were so many first or second-tier offensive linemen who looked like great options, and the Rams didn't get any of them--Erving, Cann, Tomlinson, & Marpet all looked like they'd be great fits--plus, who takes a running back at #10 these days. Now I'm starting to come around on it, mostly on the hope/belief that the OLs they drafted will turn out to be good. What do you think? Are all those draft picks ready to play?

Yeah, I think we're on the same wavelength. Why bring in all those O-linemen in for pre-draft visits if you're not gonna take any of them. (OK, the Rams did bring in and take Jamon Brown.) I'm not saying that Havenstein and Brown won't be good pros, but in general, the lower you're selected in the draft, the more likely you have some holes in your game and aren't ready to play early.
-------
re the Ram's WR - I saw Seatle win with a core comparable to the Rams...if the Rams running game improves....the WR's should be more effective..is Play action a Foles strong suit?

Also, New England won it all without what would be considered a top tier WR corps. I think Foles is supposed to be pretty good w/the play action.

OK, give me 3 minutes to make some coffee.
OK I'm back.
-------
What was you overall draft grade for this year's crop?

For the Rams draft, I gave them a C+
-------
When the four offensive linemen drafted have been discussed the emphasis appears to be on run blocking. How do they rate in regard to pass blocking? As the offensive line currently stands will they be able to protect Foles?

That is the question, isn't it Dreyfus. I think Havenstein and Brown in particular, since they're the guys expected to start, need work on that front.
-------
Is there any real chance that the rams could land La'el Collins? I know everyone is trying to sign him, and also why do you think no one bothered to pick him late in the draft? I know he said he wouldn't sign on a day 3 deal but why wouldn't you just use a 6-7th round pick on a consensus 1st rounder. You'd have to think when push came to shove Collins wouldn't sit out a full year for the 2016 draft, Crabtree once threatened that but then signed.

I guess it's possible. But I also think the Twitter reports about there being some kind of frenzy to get Collins among 32 teams is over-stated.
-------
I get it that the two best WR's and OL were off the board before pick 10 and the Rams took RB Gurley. But... it doesn't sound like the Rams entertained any ideas of trading to move up higher than #10 for a player. Anybody you would have moved up for rather than sit and take Gurley or you agree with the Rams strategy?

Well, I kind of had the man crush on Scherff. Some of the blocks he threw on a highlight tape I saw pre-draft were pretty amazing. But he went earlier than most thought _ No. 5 to Washington. And had Mariota gotten to say 5, I think you think about it.
-------
Were you surprised to see the Rams draft Havenstein with AJ Cann still on the board? Do you have a sense of whether they had him rated more highly than Cann, or if they felt OT was a more pressing need than OG?

Not overly surprised since Havenstein's a tackle. There were more guards on the board at that time than tackles.
-------
What did the Rams see in Mannion over Hundley and Petty? Were they looking for immediate help? Where Green Bay was looking for an eventual replacement for Rogers so were OK with knee issues?

Obviously, the ability _ in theory _ to play right away was a big factor.
-------
with the draft done, how much cap room do you think the Rams have left?

A ballpark guess? Maybe about $5 million, or a little more.
--------
Is there a plan yet for all these OTs they drafted? Who kicks inside, who plays RT, who's the swing tackle? And if they re-sign Barksdale, who starts at RT on day one? Donnal actually looks like he could turn out to be as good as Havenstein, I think.

Brown almost certainly is a guard. Wichmann was a college guard. So you have two guards, two tackles. I think Barksdale goes on Day 1 if he re-signs. Not sure on your Donnal-Havenstein comparision.
-------
If the Pats/Packers/Broncos and drafted Rams draft, I would say it was a good that this was a draft. But for Rams, Gurley seems like a reach and a gamble.

I get it. Because teams that are winning and well-stocked can draft more to the future.
-------
In these chats, we never really talked about Gurley much, so now after the fact, what was your opinion on him beforehand, where did you have him rated? in the top 10?

Had him rated as the best RB in the draft. I called him a top 10 pick if healthy. He turned out to be a top 10 pick anyway. Combo of power and speed. I'm a little concerned about durability (missed 3 games in '13 w/ankle before '14 knee). Can be a difference-maker. Good receiver. Looking forward to watching him in person.
-------
I know the Rams picked a lot of OL, but did they pick the right ones? Thanks for your time and opinions.

We'll find out. Let's say the Rams would've passed on Gurley at No. 10. They could've then gotten Andrus Peat at No. 10 overall and A.J. Cann at guard in the second. (And still gotten Mannion in Round 3.) I think most scouts would agree Peat and Cann is a much better T/G tandem than Havenstein/Brown. But then you don't have Gurley. That's what the Rams had to weigh in doing what they did. We'll see how it pans out.
-------
Is it really just $$$ with Barksdale? If he didn't like the Rams offer before the draft, with the cupboard now full of OL the offer is probable worse rather than better. Seems like something else is preventing him and the Rams making things work?

No, I think the main thing is the money. Now I think it may be stubbornness.
-------
True or false: Without the issues surrounding Shane Ray and La'el Collins, the Rams are probably either drafting Flowers or Collins in the first round, then maybe a guard in the second.

I don't think so. I think Ray's probably a top 10 without his issues, and I think Randy Gregory's certainly a top 10 pick without his troubles. So that would've pushed a couple of players down to the Rams. But Gurley would still be there.
-------
I thought the Rams approach to filling OL needs less than assuring. Looks to me they have a big developmental project on their hands. Methinks opponents will stack the line and dare the Rams to run, a scenario that's all to familiar. Your take?

You saw how Robinson struggled at times with blitz pickups, stunts, etc. Havenstein and Brown could face similar issues.
-------
What is your thoughts on Sasser making the team I'm guessing Givens is the odd man out, unless they keep 6 which is not unusual, but we know how Fish like to keep a lot of runningbacks

Yeah, right now, I think it comes down to Sasser or Givens at No. 5. Doubt that Fisher keeps 6 WRs.
-------
Was TJ Clemmings off the Rams board. He was in for a visit, correct? Did that visit not go well or were they scared off about his foot? Seems like he would have been a good 3rd round pick that many draftniks had in the first or second

He was in for a pre-draft visit. I think the foot scared a lot of teams off. I'm told he may need a plate in there for support. Also, he struggled playing left tackle at the Senior Bowl.
-------
Which of the Rams' undrafted pick-ups intrigues you the most?

There are a few at first glance. Obviously, the DT from Iowa Louis Trinca-Pasat. He's undersized, but I think a lot of people thought he would get drafted. And Rams usually take four DTs into regular season. So he could join Brockers, Donald, Fairley. Think he got $25K in guaranteed money, which is pretty good for a undrafted rookie.

Rams still haven't released names of their rookie free agents. They're always among the last teams to do so. But as I mentioned above, the Iowa DT (Trinca-Pasat) is one. CB Imoan Claiborne of Northwestern State got invited to the Combine. I'm always intrigued by production and FS Jacob Hagen of Liberty had 8 INTs last year. DE Matt Longacre of Northwest Missouri State is school's career leader in tackles for loss and sacks.
-------
What do you need to see from Foles between now and the last preseason game to feel he can do more than game manage?

Leadership, accuracy, minimal mistakes.
-------
The offensive lineman Washington has been on the practice squad forever. What is the deal with him. Is he someone's relative or is he finally ready to contribute and where.

This is probably a make or break camp for him.
-------
Barring injuries, do you think the Rams D will be in the top five this year?

I'd say top 10.
--------
How many more good years does James Laurinaitis have left?

I'm gonna go with 5.
--------
I would assume coach Bo had a great deal of input in this draft process since he will be coaching these fine young men, am I right? Then the quality of these draft picks should be pretty good? What do you thiink?

I'm sure Boudreau has input. He's highly-respected. But that doesn't mean he would've taken Gurley at No. 10 overall
-------
Rams need to greatly improve their secondary coverage to be in top 5. Agree or disagree?

No doubt. Particularly in the area of giving up big plays _ you know, the freebies where it's a busted coverage or a gamble that didn't need to be made.
-------
Have you or anyone else in NFL circles noticed any change in Gregg Williams defensive philosophy since his punishment a few years ago?

You know, it seems like he's pretty much the same in terms of blitzing and being aggressive. I do wonder however, if Williams' past teams played as much off coverage.
-------
I have seen Mannion rated anywhere from the 3rd to the 6th best QB. How do you rate his potential after one year watching Foles and being coached up?

Going to have to wait and see. I only watched a couple of his games in college. It's always good to watch a guy on the practice field in training camp, and of course, in the preseason. But as you may know, they were drafted at almost the identical spot _ Foles was No. 88 overall when he came out; Mannion is No. 89 overall.
-------
What kind of timetable is there for Gurley to get involved through mini-camps, OTAs, and training camp? Is he able to do any non-contact work now?

I would think he almost certainly starts out training camp on the PUP list (physically unable to perform), and barring setbacks the Rams try to get him active and practicing a couple, three weeks into training camp. I don't think he's doing any non-contact football-like work at this point, but I'll try to check on that for sure.
-------
On the chat a couple of weeks ago someone asked who you would pick on the Rams roster in a "Trial By Combat" however you didn't know the reference to Game of Thrones so you didn't know how to answer. Let me put it another way that us older folks may understand better. If you were in a bar-fight which one person on the Rams roster would you want by your side?

Well, a couple of years ago I would've said Harvey Dahl. But I think now I'll go with William Hayes.
-------
That rap on Peat was questionable motivation. After our Jason Smith experience...

Actually, I think it was more his low-key, soft-spoken personality not a lack of motivation. As such I think the Jonathan Martin comparisons came in since Martin also went to Stanford.

Thanks for playing. There will be no chat next week, but we'll return the week after that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow....JT is starting to turn me off as well, which is a shame.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I just thought they should've gone O-line earlier. And Gurley was a luxury pick in part because of needs on the O-line.

Couldn't get past this answer.

They went OL in the 2nd and 3rd round. How much higher does he possibly want them to go? 1st round? So writers can blast them for "reaching"?

Todd Gurely was a luxury pick? I thought he was BPA, you know the type everyone screams for. BPA BPA BPA!!!! If they had taken another player, say a WR or linemen it would've been a "reach" and they were "drafting for need." And that's a damn big no-no.

For some reason, nothing the Rams do will ever seem satisfactory. Instead of focusing on important shit like how the drafted players can potentially *help* the team, so many writers are stuck and hellbent on arbitrary labels like "value" and "reach/value".

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I read a from the war room story that claimed the Rams had round 2 grades on Haverstein ands Brown. Do you know if that is true. Could the Rams be right and the paid pundits off on this one?

I almost stopped ready right there. But my curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see if he would go there again...

Wondered if there was a message from the NFL offices regarding La'el Collins. Would have thought that Rams or any team could have picked him in the 7th round, as it would have been a worthy risk depending on the outcome from his legal issue. Not too many 7th rounders' make it away.

Not aware of any such directive. Yeah, I would have picked him in the seventh round. Especially when the Rams got that extra seventh from Carolina as part of the second-round trade-down.

Well, JT didn't go there but he sure must have a short term memory problem.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why would JT play games concerning info about Wisniewski at this point? He's a Jaguar. Signed and delivered.

I can't stand smug. It's the type of behavior that gives me the urge to dish out one of these...
200.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He sounds so bitter and I chuckled reading what he had to say about the draft. Seems even more bitter the Rams drafted Gurley. Maybe they forgot to tell him.

Best thing is the Scherff comment that he liked him because of his highlight tape. Why would anyone care about your draft grade when your "analysis" comes from rankings done by other media members and highlight tapes?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

They went OL in the 2nd and 3rd round. How much higher does he possibly want them to go? 1st round? So writers can blast them for "reaching"?

Todd Gurely was a luxury pick? I thought he was BPA, you know the type everyone screams for. BPA BPA BPA!!!! If they had taken another player, say a WR or linemen it would've been a "reach" and they were "drafting for need." And that's a damn big no-no.

For some reason, nothing the Rams do will ever seem satisfactory. Instead of focusing on important crap like how the drafted players can potentially *help* the team, so many writers are stuck and hellbent on arbitrary labels like "value" and "reach/value".

I wanted them to go OL in the 1st round as well. I agree that Gurley was a luxury pick. Doesn't mean I don't think he can help the team. But if anyone would ask me a straight question like that it's how I would have answered.

Ramway

UDFA
I was shocked at first by the Gurley pick. I think it was the right pick though. All of the OT prospects in the first round had holes in their game. I wouldn't have been happy with any of them. Gurley is not redundant. Gurley is better than anything we could have picked and is an immense upgrade at the RB position, if he is healthy. I understand JT's hesitancy at the pick because of the injury. I like Havenstein almost as much as any of the OTs that were available. He is as good as or better at run blocking than any of the OTs that went in the first round. If the Rams took Peat at 10, what offensive player would have been a better pick in the second round. Not a lot of difference between Peat and Havenstein as there is between Gurley and the next best offensive player. I like the draft strategy after thinking about it. It all hinges on Gurley's health in the end.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler

-------

Nice%20and%20Salty%20hot%20dog.jpg

RAGRam

Pro Bowler

But the Rams didn't put it out there did they? It was from a reporter in the war room...wait were you not there Jimbo?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JT was right about one thing. Fisher (and other nfl teams) are way too conservative with the draft process. It's puzzling. Guy smokes weed and he drops ten spots. La'el Collins isn't a suspect and yet he goes undrafted. We couldn't have used the pick for Stacy to take a flier on him in the seventh?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
JT was right about one thing. Fisher (and other nfl teams) are way too conservative with the draft process. It's puzzling. Guy smokes weed and he drops ten spots. La'el Collins isn't a suspect and yet he goes undrafted. We couldn't have used the pick for Stacy to take a flier on him in the seventh?

No because then he'd be able to sit out a year.

Speeps

Starter
JT continues to show he knows very little about football and that he is disconnected from the team. He can show up and do his little questions at a presser, however he will never get the access the Silver and to a certain extent Waggoner gets. JT is a bitter man and I'm done reading anything he has to say.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I need Nick Wagoner to do an extended chat like JT's. He offers no real information or insight, imo. It's a shame, because I used to like him before he got his little feelings hurt.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

For some reason, nothing the Rams do will ever seem satisfactory. Instead of focusing on important crap like how the drafted players can potentially *help* the team, so many writers are stuck and hellbent on arbitrary labels like "value" and "reach/value".
Outstanding post Angry

image.png

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
He'd be a seventh round pick. Sit out all you want. The Rams drafted you and for pennies on the dollar.

Maybe I should have said he could sit out "and re-enter the draft in 2016", by going un-drafted he can't. The only thing you'd do by drafting him in the 7th is to waste your 7th round draft pick and prevent any other team from signing him. Maybe preventing all other teams from getting him this year is worth that 7th round pick to you.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I need Nick Wagoner to do an extended chat like JT's. He offers no real information or insight, imo. It's a shame, because I used to like him before he got his little feelings hurt.

I don't really see a difference in the media. None of them offer any insight or real information because our FO is a secretive one. Take this draft. No one in our media predicted anything remotely like how it went, but yet only JT is accused of having no insight or info. Does Wagoner know if we're bringing Barksdale back? Unless something has changed in the last 20 mins since I last checked he doesn't know dick either. He does have the luxury of being able to write a guesswork article though.