Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 4/7/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts from the Q&A. To read about the draft, relocation, and stadium issues click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_85?Page=0

Hi Jim, what's the latest with Barksdale, S. Wiz talks?

Well, today's news that Barksdale is visiting Tennessee on Thursday isn't a good omen. As for Wisniewski, that's a puzzler. The Rams continue to show interest in him, but it seems like he's visiting everywhere but St. Louis.
-----------
In your way of thinking, what defines a good NFL team owner versus a "less than good" owner? With your criteria, who are the top 3 in your mind and who are the bottom 3?

1.) Success. 2.) Willingness to spend money. 3.) Good working environment. 4.) Willingness to engage fans. As for top 3/bottom 3 in league, that's tough to say. Certainly, you'd have to have Kraft (New England) and the Rooneys (Pittsburgh) in the top group. The Browns and Raiders would have to be at or near the bottom.
--------
Are the Rams likely to be picked by many to finish second in the West given the decline of SF and the unpredictable nature of the Cardinals?

I can see getting picked ahead of San Fran, but I don't see how you can pick them ahead of Seattle and Arizona at this point.
----------
Wiz and Joe both have visits with other teams. Where does that leave Justin? What are the chances we sign 2 of the 3?

Blalock is taking his time. Really taking his time. As for the Rams signing two of the three, that's hard to say. I would've thought by now the Rams would have at least one of the three in the fold.
----------
Are the Rams happy with Rodney their FS?

Yes, they appear to be. He was much-improved last season.
----------
Jim, what is the plan on the offensive line?

Hard to tell at this point, especially with Barksdale visiting Tennessee later this week.
--------
When will the schedule with dates and times be released?

I'm thinking some time next week.
--------
I'm getting really optimistic about the defense. Key veterans still able to perform at a high level (Long, Laurinitis), younger guys in their primes (Quinn, Donald), recent boom-or-bust draft picks looking like they could pan out after all (Ogletree, Jenkins, Johnson), some solid role players who have flashed impressive abilities (McDonald, McLeod), and an aggressive coordinator who likes to move pieces around. What am I missing? Any reasons why I should downwardly revise my optimism that the Rams at least _could_ have the best defense in the NFL, if the offense can stay on the field long enough?

The secondary in my mind still remains a question mark. They gave up too many big plays again last year, and in my mind Jenkins and to some degree Johnson have yet to display the consistency needed at the cornerback position.
--------
seems like barksdale would be higher priority than say TE Kendericks, why didnt Rams get a deal done with him early on? Are they just waiting to see what his best FA offer is?

Because apparently, Barksdale was asking for w-a-y more than the Rams were willing to pay.
---------
Can you see anyway the Rams winning the NFC West if Foles stays healthly the ENTIRE season. How many games does Fisher need to win to come back in 2016.

I think the Rams can have a winning record if Foles stays healthy. Not sure if that would be enough to win the division but it should put them in playoff contention. I think if Fisher wins seven, he should be fine. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but Kroenke likes him a lot.
---------
Is foles worth the gamble? if he has good year, his price goes way up and somebody will come up with big offer

At $1.5 million in salary in 2015, it's not much of a gamble. Unless, as you say, he has a big year. But remember, if he has a tremendous year, the Rams can also put a transition or franchise tag on him.
--------
The whole Jake Long thing was overall dissapointing. Was he damage goods when he got here?

Well, he definitely had already been through a lot of surgeries.
---------
I'm saying 1200 yards for Tre Mason this year. What do you think?

I'll take the under.
---------
Isn't a novice OC as much of a gamble as Foles at QB and an inexperienced OL?

To some degree. But I think there's less risk involved with say, a Cameron Erving at center.
--------
Heard Eagles are working on trade with browns - Bradford for maziel and picks. Target = Mariotta, poor Sam, will be stuck in CLE

That would be sad.
--------
Interested to get your comments:

1. Don't the Rams have a better cover corner than J. Jenkins. Not only does he play way off the line on 3rd and short but he seems to get burned frequently and I can't imagine that even Greg Reid or others in camp would not have been a worthwhile gamble.

2. I read a while ago that Fisher said hat Joe Barksdale was initially asking too much and that now that he is more realistic, that the Rams can negotiate more seriously. Seems to me if you are Barksdale or the agent, that you would take offense and try to prove him wrong.

1.) The Rams like Jenkins a lot. 2.) The only thing Fisher said about Barksdale was that he was asking a lot. He didn't really say anything else.
--------
What do you think the rams will do about the current state of the O-line? Do we resign Barksdale, or let him go to tennessee? Do you see us drafting O-line early and often?

I'm sure the Rams will do what they can to retain Barksdale, but they're not going to overpay. Sometimes players do get their feelings hurt when their current club doesn't re-sign them right away. And maybe Barksdale feels that way. We'll see how it plays out.
---------
Any chance the St. Louis Rams are planning to carry 5-6 Quarterbacks this Season or maybe bring in someone like the 400lb QB Jared Lorenzen to get under center since preparing a better than average Offensive Line over the last 4 years to protect our signal callers and get that run game moving seems to escape everyone at Rams Park?

It has been a problem.
----------
Do you think that because the Rams play in the NFC West it is a much easier move for the NFL to accept? If they played in the NFC South or NFC Central that the move would make less sense? Do you think that since they never reorganized the divisions that the Rams didn't really have a home in the Midwest?

No Don't think that has much to do with it.
---------
What kind of year do you think Bradford will have?

If he stays healthy, I think he'll have a good year.
---------
Does Mike Sam get another chance or has that ship sailed?

It has with respect to the Rams.
----------
Where Are They Now???? Wher (Or What ) is Former DE Leonard Little up to?

He's living in Charlotte. Not sure what he's doing in terms of business interests, etc.
---------
Using the last two years as a model, over/under week 5 as the cut off mark for a offensive personnel(starting rb) or philosophy switch?

That shouldn't happen this year, at least not at running back.
---------
If the season started tomorrow, what would the starting OL look like?

That's a tough one. Greg Robinson at LT, Rodger Saffold at LG, Barrett Jones at C, let's go with Tim Barnes at RG, and Garrett Reynolds at RT.
---------
Any chance they bring Jake Long back in at a reduce rate?

Don't think so.
---------
any word on Quick.

Rams hope to have him back by the start of training camp, but there are no guarantees there.
--------
Do Issac Bruce and/or Torry Holt every work with our WRs?

They have been around in the past during training camp.
----------
What, in your view, is Rams best path to rebuilding the Oline, at this point?

Sign Blalock. Re-sign Barksdale. Draft.
----------
how do rams plan to cover jimmy graham 2x a year? Olgetree? 3 slow safties?

They covered him pretty well in 2013 with basically the same defensive group.
--------
In retrospect, should the Rams have kept Amendola? His price wasn't that high and we've burned draft picks and are still looking for a slot WR. I'll grant you he was good-very good not great but he's hung on at the Patriots. Same with TE Hoomawanamui (sp?)

Amendola hasn't done that much for New England. Can't' see it.
----------
Does the NFL or the teams release how much profit they make each year? If so, I would like how much the Rams made last year.

Neither. I believe the figure I saw was a little over $18 million in profit.
---------
Will the Rams end up adjusting Quinn's contract to be more aggressive in building the O-Line through free agency? I heard it could be as easy as changing the name of a bonus and we get $7 mil in cap. Am I correct about that part?

As I mentioned last week, the window for turning Quinn's roster bonus into signing bonus _ which could've saved the Rams a maximum of $8 million in cap space this year _ has passed. (Because the roster bonus has been paid.)
---------
Do you think Pead will be cut in camp? And do you think they are still looking to upgrade at the RB position with Fishers penchant to run and lacking a true star there. Also do you not sense any urgency at the OL positons with the Rams considering they basically dont have one?

It's hard for me to see him making the final 53.
---------
I'm really excited by all the off-season moves by the Rams to shore up their O-line.

And here, among many this week, is our sarcasm winner of the day.
---------
Cignetti as the new OC was an inside hire, were you surprised he didn't shake up the staff a little?

That would be Fisher's call, not Cignetti's.
-----
How about a trade for Johnny F Football? There were quite a few people salivating over him last year

Yeah, where are those people today?
--------
Any idea why they didn't make that move with Quinn, i.e. convert his roster bonus? Did they just forget, or would it spread out more of a cap hit over future years, and they thought about it and decided against?

In general, Demoff likes a pay as you go philosophy. That way the team doesn't get backed into a corner, cap-wise.
---------
I don't understand the love affair for Jenkins? It seems he gets burned once a game at least. I heard Golden Taint misses playing against him.

I don't know. Taint did pretty good in Detroit without Jenkins.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The secondary in my mind still remains a question mark. They gave up too many big plays again last year, and in my mind Jenkins and to some degree Johnson have yet to display the consistency needed at the cornerback position.

I would love to replace either with a true shutdown corner.

Cignetti as the new OC was an inside hire, were you surprised he didn't shake up the staff a little?

Fisher tried to higher Chud but we may all have found out why Chud stayed in Indiana. Pagano is not under contract after this season. Could they be holding that spot for Chud?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He did try to hire him? I thought we were denied permission to talk to him. I also thought Fisher said he always knew the hire was in house.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
0e475d5f-323f-402d-8cf9-425ee2567049.jpg

I have been with the Post-Dispatch since 1975. My beat when the Cardinals left was Mizzou football and basketball.

This is the answer to some folks' question last week regarding Jim Thomas' employment should the Rams leave. Unless he chooses to leave there will be a position for him somewhere.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He did try to hire him? I thought we were denied permission to talk to him. I also thought Fisher said he always knew the hire was in house.

Same thing. Chud was one of the first guys Fisher went after. But, maybe you are right, and he really didn't want him as OC, just wanted to talk about mountain climbing.

Chud has been around and is a proven OC. Fisher knows what he is capable of. It's not like interviewing some up and comer. Sure Fisher said he felt that the higher was always going to be in house. That is how coaches boost moral, by saying those things. I wouldn't expect him to say, "We really wanted Chudzinski more than Cignetti" after settling on a coach. Chudzinski was one of the first guys contacted and yes the Colts denied. With veteran coaches interviews are often formalities.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Does the NFL or the teams release how much profit they make each year? If so, I would like how much the Rams made last year.

Neither. I believe the figure I saw was a little over $18 million in profit.

This number puts the Rams in the same territory as the Packers.

Alan

Legend
"Neither. I believe the figure I saw was a little over $18 million in profit."

That's not even as much as a top QB makes. :eek:

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify

With owning a sports team, it's not the profit so much as the capital gain. Louis Rukeyser had an interesting segment on this once on Wall Street Week. When it's time for a new stadium, team owners happily show their bleeding red income statements. Don't feel sorry for the poor bugars though because when they sell the team it will be for multiple times the purchase price.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Can you see anyway the Rams winning the NFC West if Foles stays healthly the ENTIRE season. How many games does Fisher need to win to come back in 2016.

I think the Rams can have a winning record if Foles stays healthy. Not sure if that would be enough to win the division but it should put them in playoff contention. I think if Fisher wins seven, he should be fine. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but Kroenke likes him a lot.

I wonder how he knows what the person wants to hear...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Same thing. Chud was one of the first guys Fisher went after. But, maybe you are right, and he really didn't want him as OC, just wanted to talk about mountain climbing.

I never said anything about who he really wanted or didn't want. Just basically wondering out loud how hard Fisher looked outside the current staff. But I do appreciate the crack about mountain climbing. Seems a bit unnecessary but whatever.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kind of chuckled when reading that JT said "Kroenke likes him" when speaking of Fisher...Has Kroenke spoken to him in three years?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
They should allow municipalities to buy teams again like Green Bay. That 18M a year would be great to pump into the cities economy every year. It's a shame they don't allow it any more.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

And figuring a billion dollar franchise an ROI of 1.8% which if true the tax exemptions / breaks lends credence to Trumps statement
that with a few changes in the tax laws and the value of NFL teams would plummet

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's not forget that the "profit" doesn't include any salaries that the owner pays himself and family members working for the team. I would doubt if any team owner pays himself less than the low 8 figures. Not bad for a second job, since it's not so demanding that they can't do their primary business too.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Let's not forget that the "profit" doesn't include any salaries that the owner pays himself and family members working for the team. I would doubt if any team owner pays himself less than the low 8 figures. Not bad for a second job, since it's not so demanding that they can't do their primary business too.
Well in my business the ability to take deductions were way to high a priority and became an inefficiency, but while we are not forgetting things, lets remember Kroenke still has a partner who does not work for the Rams who shares in the profit and would likely object if Kroenke was being confiscatory

iced

How about a trade for Johnny F Football? There were quite a few people salivating over him last year

Yeah, where are those people today?

they're hanging out with the jimmy clausen lovers