Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 12/30/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read about possible relocation and the rest of the chat, click the link below.
*********************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_d3e40d64c1ab?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas

Is the public able to view any of the practices this week?

Practices are closed to the public this week. This is the regular season, not training camp. In fact only St. Louis media who are out here at Napa are allowed to watch practice this week. Not "out-of-town" media.
---------
Do you see Fischer looking for a new OC next year?

At this moment, the way Boras has run things these first three games, I'd say no
---------
Sunday's game was the first time I've seen a PUNTER get a personal foul penalty. What was Hekker thinking?

It wasn't exactly the hardest shove I've ever seen in a football game. Don't know what got into him. Given his great work at actually kicking the ball, I think I'll give him a mulligan on this one.
-------
I think Foles is a good teammate and makes a good backup for the Rams but not at his salary. If he is released, is there an offset clause in his contract?

Don't know what you mean by an "offset" clause. The $6 million roster bonus due Foles in March already is guaranteed, so the Rams would have to eat that money if they decide to release Foles. But they have the cap room to do that if they so desire.
-------
I never thought the Rams could get out of Bradford’s contract via trade but they pulled it off. Any chance there is someone who would take Foles with his contract? There are teams desperate for quarterbacks. Imagine the cap room that would give the Rams.

I see what you're saying, but I believe it's the Rams who are on the hook for the $6 million in guaranteed money for the roster bonus even if Foles is traded.
-------
Without the benefit of hindsight, the Bradford trade made sense. But if the Rams kept Bradford would they have made the playoffs?

With a healthy Bradford, and we all know that's a huge "if" _ I think they would have been able to scratch out a couple of more wins, which would've at least put them in playoff contention at this point.
-------
Please tell me why the Rams would consider drafting a QB in first round. Would that basically say they wasted a 3rd round pick on a back in Mannion? Also, in your opinion, is there a QB in the draft that would be available at the Rams pick (18th or lower) that has more potential than Mannion?

No, it would say they swung and missed on Foles. But I do think they might be better off trying to add a veteran QB in free agency (or via trade) than drafting another young QB. If that's possible. Obviously easier said than done.
-------
Chris Long has been a rock, but an expensive one. If the Rams cut or traded him would they have enough Cap room to sign Jenkins and Johnson?

In hindsight, the Rams may have overpaid both Long and Laurinaitis when they signed their second deals. But they have been good players, and excellent representatives of the organization and of St. Louis on and off the field.

Quinn benefits when a healthy Long is lining up at left end. The Rams have more than enough cap room to keep Long, even w/the roster bonus he's do. I'm not saying it'll happen for sure, but I'd say keep Long.
-------
Are you able to guess the priorities the Rams have for re-signing specific unrestricted free agents this coming off-season?

I think it starts with the secondary. Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod, and Barron. (I guess we still consider Barron a member of the secondary.) I'm not sure how we prioritize those four. In the beginning of the season, I would've put Jenkins at No. 1. Now, I'm not as sure what with the play of Trumaine Johnson, ad particularly his ball skills. The Rams feel they can afford to sign both. We'll see.
-------
If the Rams draft a true #1 receiver and the young line improves, could Foles get his mojo back?

I guess it's possible. But not sure if the Rams want to go down that road again.
-------
Could RG3 be available in the offseason? If so should the Rams consider him

Not sure of his contract status, but he doesn't appear to have a future in Washington. I guess you look into it, and study him. Personally, I'm not sure he can be an effective pocket passer in the NFL.
--------
QB/WR 1 through free agency or draft? What say you, Jim?
This Offense could be interesting with a true WR 1 and CK, it makes me physically ill to want a 49er on to join the Rams, but if it worked out I could live with it.

I'd lean towards towards free agency w/both if the right guys are out there. The Rams really need a truly effective outside receiver to complement Gurley and Tavon Austin. Kaepernick is indeed intriguing. You'd have to be convinced he would do enough as a pocket passer and a leader.
-------
Do you think Keenum has what it takes to be a starting NFL QB? I question his ability to throw a really long pass but he seems to handle the game well. Your thoughts please.

I see what you're seeing. Although he has thrown some nice deep balls to Britt lately. And I just don't know how he'd do if it was in one of those games where he had to throw it 35-40 times. But if nothing else, I think he's shown he can be a good No. 2/spot starter.
---------
Do you see the Rams resigning a lot of their pending FA, especially on the defensive side of the ball? Or are the Rams in for another roster overhaul

They would like to re-sign a lot of their pending free agents. They're due to have a ton of cap room _ something in the neighborhood of $50 million. So they can afford to bring a lot of these guys back. I just thought they'd have a couple, three signed by now.
-------
My son and I have taken to calling the Rams the HSOT - Heinous Show on Turf.

I have to admit, though, that your defense is pretty amazing when you can finish at .500 with the 32nd ranked offense in a 32 team league...... especially considering that you got very little out of Ogletree and Quinn.

So you're already calling San Francisco a victory?
--------
It seems we may enter 2016 with the same Qb's as 2015 and hope for the best. Please tell me you think I'm wrong about this

I think you're wrong. I think the Rams will look at a lot of options at quarterback.
---------
Some posters feel CL and JL are too expensive for their production. Do you agree? and would either consider taking a cut to help off set FA such as Tru and JJ?

The Rams need their leadership and production. (And in saying that, I know Long's production isn't great this year). They have the cap room to keep both. Don't know about a cut, but Long has made adjustments in his contract previously to help the Rams out.
---------
Which scenario do you see as most likely for the Rams at QB next year?
Foles, Mannion, new QB
Keenum, Mannion, new QB
Keenum, Foles, new QB
Foles, Mannion, Keenum
Clean sweep of the QB mtg room

Keenum, Manion new QB.
---------
QB? To the best of your psychic ability, can you name the 2016 starter?

Drew Brees.

OK, that last answer was a joke for a local radio guy.
---------
What's your opinion on the reports that the Rams are looking to sign Drew Brees in the off season? Isn't that tipping their hand just a little too soon? Would this be a stop gap until they develop Mannion or their future drafted QB or do you think Brees is the long term solution?

I don't see why any QB of Brees' pedigree would consider a team like the Rams late in his career. If you're Brees, and you have a choice, wouldn't you want to go to a team that's a bona fide Super Bowl contender? Wouldn't you want to go to a team that throws it more than 20 times a game? But if you're the Rams, make Brees say no. Sell him on your defense and your running game.
---------
Will the Rams look at Capernick and RGIII in the offseason?

Be surprised if they didn't.
---------
If Robert Quinn stayed healthy this season how many sacks does Donald have? I say 16

With a healthy Quinn and Long, I'd say at least 15.
--------
Micheal Bennett says I'm an Average Back "He has seen better" is he just bitter or does he have a point?

- Todd Gurley

Bennett also called Hekker a "little girl." I think he's just upset over the loss. The Seahawks, who have now lost 3 of their last 4 are in a little bit of denial here.
--------
Is Bradford the best FA QB on the market? and any chance the rams take a look at him..again

The good ship Bradford has sailed.
--------
So if the Rams release Foles, is that 6 million against the cap? Or is that money from somewhere else? How many years would his contract go against the cap?

Yes. The $6 million counts against the cap.
--------
Many were saying that after the near perfect game Keenum had vs. Tampa Bay that they would wait until he plays in Seattle to make an opinion. It appeared to me given the early lead and the wet conditions that he played as required to get the first win there in 11 years. What is the next hurdle he should overcome to get more believers?

Win another one in San Francisco. Continue to avoid turnovers. And I guess we could say, throw for more than 103 yards.
-------
I asked about "offset" but may have used the wrong term. When you cut a player who is owed 10 million a year and they are hired by a new team who pays them 8 million a year, then if you have "offset rights" you only have to pay him 2 million so his total is 10 million. In other words, he can't double dip.

OK. There are no offset provisions in Foles contract. And in the NFL, it's very rare that the team trading a player to another team agrees to pay off any of his remaining contract. In general, the team acquiring a player in the NFL via trade inherits the remaining base salaries and any incentives/escalator clauses that are in place for future years.

But unamortized signing bonus money _ and in this case I believe Foles' roster bonus money (since it's already been guaranteed) _ would stay with the Rams. And if I'm wrong on the Foles mone, and I'll try to nail it done, if you're the team that wants to trade for him, you just wait until after the roster money is due, which is very early in the free agency/trading period in March, before making the trade.
-------
Was the Foles-Bradford trade as bad for the Rams as the RG for the Redskins, or close?

Not if the Rams hit on that second-round draft pick they're due from Philly.
---------
At this point I would sign johnson before Jenkins you?

Leaning that way, although Johnson has been less durable than Jenkins, and that's something you've got to factor in.
------
I think we hit on this before, but was it Snead or Fish instigating the SB trade?

Trust me on this: It wouldn't have come from Snead alone.
-------
I understand all this Fisher needs to go talk but really we are 2 missed FGs away from 9-6 and in the playoffs

Well, at 9-6 the Rams still wouldn't have clinched. But it would look pretty good. Heck, just one more victory (8-7) would have them still in the playoff hunt.
--------
What did you think of the Kelly firing today? 2 10 win seasons out of 3 and gone??? and why not let him finish season? Smack in the face!

Jeff Fisher probably is glad he doesn't work for Jeffrey Lurie.
--------
Bigger bust Manziel, RG3 or Kaep?

Wouldn't put Kaepernick in the same sentence w/those 2 others. For one, he wasn't a first-round draft pick like the others. For another, he did help get the 49ers to 3 consecutive NFC title games and one Super Bowl.
--------
Jim. are you a Rams fan? Did you grow up rooting fro Rams or another team? Or is it a case you took job with paper and were "stuck" with local franchise.

I'm a native St. Louisan, so I grew up watching the football Cardinals. When you're a beat writer, you're not supposed to have a "rooting" interest. You leave that at the door.
---------
What would your priority be for keeping free agents on the D line? Can Westbrook and / or Longacre contribute in the rotation next year?

When it comes to Hayes and Sims, got to have one of the two back at a minimum. As for Fairley, I'd bring him back at $2.5 million per _ certainly not for $5 million.
--------
Why does Fisher deserve a 5th year?

Because Stan Kroenke thinks he does.
---------
Could Kelly be an OC option?

With Fisher as head coach? Please. Besides, don't you think the Chipster will end up in Tennessee with Mariota. Make a lot of sense, don't you think?
--------
How's Rodger Saffold doing?

Haven't seen him lately. But early indications are that he's doing well in rehab.
---------
Question is with Rams riches on the d line can we afford to try and trade Quinn to a rebuilding team for an ESTABLISHED QB i.e. Brees,rivers,Stafford type

That's an interesting question. But I don't think you can get a marquee QB for a marquee pass-rusher straight up, particularly when the pass-rusher is coming off back surgery. Also, with Hayes and Sims both scheduled for free agency, I don't think the Rams necessarily have that many D-line "riches."
--------
How much do you think the Rams will have to pay Keenum to get his services next year or for two years?

He's a restricted free agent. Last year the tender levels were about $1.5 million for original right of first refusal (that is, matching rights but no draft pick compensation since Keenum entered the league as an undrafted free agent). The one-year tender for 2nd-rouund draft pick compensation last year was about $2.3 million. Those numbers usually go up a little each year _ but it's still pretty cheap labor for the QB position.
-------
Does Benny demand attention in FA?

Cunningham is scheduled to be a restricted free agent, so I think the Rams keep him with a right of first refusal offer.
--------
Would you agree with this statement: The Rams lack of talent on the OL subverted any playoff chances. Or, do you think it was lack of QB production?

I would say: 1.) The Rams inability to get even decent QB play for much of the season subverted any playoff chances; but also 2.) The widespread inexperience on the O-line (not necessarily a lack of talent) also hurt those playoff hopes.
--------
After M Barron and a couple other defensive players were shaken up early in the last game, I was worried our D might really fall apart. I thought they hung in there pretty well didn't you? Do you know if Barron is expected to be back for the SF game? I really hope the Rams can re-sign him!!

According to Fisher, the early signs on Barron were encouraging. But the team has yet to practice this week, so it's still early in the concussion protocol process.