Rams center Scott Wells playing through pain ... but why?/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams center Scott Wells playing through pain ... but why?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14888/scott-wells-playing-through-pain-but-why

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Like many members of the St. Louis Rams, Sunday's 37-27 loss to the New York Giants was a rough day at the office for center Scott Wells.

Wells and his fellow offensive linemen struggled in pass protection and Wells had the additional problem of a couple of costly high snaps that helped kill a pair of Rams' drives.

On the first one, Wells' high snap to quarterback Shaun Hill threw off the timing of a red zone play that ended in an incompletion. Hill still had receiver Stedman Bailey open on the play just before the end of the first half but missed him. It's possible with a better snap, he might have been able to better set his feet and fire a strike.

In the fourth quarter, the Rams had just gotten the ball back with about two minutes to go following a spectacular blocked field goal by linebacker Daren Bates. On the very next play, Wells' high snap when over Hill's head and Giants end Kerry Wynn recovered at the Rams' 12. Any hope of a miracle was gone.

After the game, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Wells would need to get the snap issue fixed but also acknowledged Wells is playing through some elbow issues.

"He's been fighting through it," Fisher said.

Wells is a proud veteran and it doesn't surprise me that he's playing through pain at this point in the season. He's to be commended for his toughness but sometimes decisions such as these shouldn't fall to the player.

Let's be real about this. Wells is almost 34, has struggled for most of the season and only has a year remaining on his contract. There's no guarantee he'll even return in 2015.

With all of that in mind, why would it be necessary for Wells to play through an injury that has clearly hampered his ability to do something as fundamental as snapping the ball?

In this space last week, I advocated giving a shot to some younger offensive linemen, particularly one of the centers be it Tim Barnes or Barrett Jones. That was without the knowledge that Wells is working through elbow troubles. Now that we know that, it makes even less sense to keep Barnes and Jones on the bench while asking Wells to tough it out.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This is inexcusable on Fisher's part. You should have gotten Wells out if he had elbow problems. Just makes me have even less confidence in Barnes and Jones if they can't beat out an injured and ineffective Wells.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There are only two answers to that.

1. Fisher knows Wells is worse than Barnes or Jones and doesn't care.
2. Wells isn't worse than Barnes or Jones.

That said, Wells was pretty bad yesterday.

Pretty.
Bad.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
That was without the knowledge that Wells is working through elbow troubles. Now that we know that, it makes even less sense to keep Barnes and Jones on the bench while asking Wells to tough it out.

The giant brace on his right are, the poor blocking to his right, and the bad snaps weren't enough of a clue? I have no idea why he is still playing.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Pretty.
Bad.

They may as well trot him out wearing catchers mitts, he never gets his hands on anyone anyway.

@Alan journalists call it gleaning not poaching lol.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Pretty.
Bad.

I'm taking #1. I've seen Barnes and Jones play. Both of them can snap the football. If Wells were playing well besides the snapping, that would be one thing. But he's been an ineffective blocker and snapper. Jones and Barnes both can do better. I don't know what Fisher is thinking.

Alan

Legend
LesBaker turning me on to an old favorite:
journalists call it gleaning not poaching lol.
I like it. Journalists always get to use the best words.

Bastardos!

Good call! :LOL:

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm taking #1. I've seen Barnes and Jones play. Both of them can snap the football. If Wells were playing well besides the snapping, that would be one thing. But he's been an ineffective blocker and snapper. Jones and Barnes both can do better. I don't know what Fisher is thinking.

If it really is the former option, that Fisher knows and doesn't care, then he should be fired effective immediately. And I am not the kind of person who wants to play Russian Roulette with coaches.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If it really is the former option, that Fisher knows and doesn't care, then he should be fired effective immediately. And I am not the kind of person who wants to play Russian Roulette with coaches.

Maybe he has his reasons but I have a hard time believing he doesn't know.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Doesn't the C have to make the line calls? Maybe Wells is a lot better at that which may be a difference maker. Just spitballin' here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Doesn't the C have to make the line calls? Maybe Wells is a lot better at that which may be a difference maker. Just spitballin' here.
I already said that the other day, and it was resoundingly rejected. Seems it doesn't matter if he does, because he doesn't do that right either.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I already said that the other day, and it was resoundingly rejected. Seems it doesn't matter if he does, because he doesn't do that right either.

I didn't know that..........

So.

Who makes the line calls then?

Memento

Name
Jemma

I realize that he has to make the line calls, but if he can't even snap the ball properly or block anyone on his right side, then Fisher should have taken him out of the game and put Barnes in.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I didn't know that..........

So.

Who makes the line calls then?
Wells does. I said that I already said that, but the premise of that being why he's still in the game was resoundingly rejected.
Are you even listening to me today?
21629-trollface-meme-jackie-chan-s.png

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes are both very bright guys who should have picked up the offense and line calls by now, at least at a passable enough level to be worth starting over the tissue paper wall they call Scott Wells. While Wells might have the most experience, I'd trust either one of those guys a lot more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It would be easier to believe that if Blue and Gold wasn't posting all these examples of the right side of our OL blowing assignments on stunts and twists. And I hadn't seen GR miss numerous assignments since he became a starter.

If Wells is making the line calls, he's not doing a good job of it. But I guess I can't say that for sure.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wells does. I said that I already said that, but the premise of that being why he's still in the game was resoundingly rejected.
Are you even listening to me today?
21629-trollface-meme-jackie-chan-s.png

My bad I forgot the blue font I was in a hurry......just goofin' with ya my friend.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Pretty.
Bad.
I've had a growing suspicion for a while now that the answer is #2. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to keep playing him and Joseph.

There's also an option #3 though... Wells IS worse than Barnes or Jones and Fisher DOESN'T know it. Thankfully, that seems less likely. It just logically exists.

star-trek-spock1.jpg