Rams cap space for next season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No offense to you East or others who DO look at this stuff this time of year. I just can't get into the threads about next year's draft or cap space for next year or anything else that seems to dismiss the rest of the season - unless of course it is the rest of the season for the skins. I know. Then why respond? Frustration I suppose. I have this hope that we are in late January and the draft is the furthest from every Ram fans mind. I'm sure everyone here would love for that to be the case as well... I'm just sayin'.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No offense to you East or others who DO look at this stuff this time of year. I just can't get into the threads about next year's draft or cap space for next year or anything else that seems to dismiss the rest of the season - unless of course it is the rest of the season for the skins. I know. Then why respond? Frustration I suppose. I have this hope that we are in late January and the draft is the furthest from every Ram fans mind. I'm sure everyone here would love for that to be the case as well... I'm just sayin'.

No offense taken. Win or lose I like to know what type of cap space we have. I never get into draft until draft time. But cap space could be telling looking at some possible trades before deadline. Along with Finny cap hit right after SB. So yes for me it's relative.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No offense taken. Win or lose I like to know what type of cap space we have. I never get into draft until draft time. But cap space could be telling looking at some possible trades before deadline. Along with Finny cap hit right after SB. So yes for me it's relative.

Didn't think of that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I know of no major issues upcoming for this Ram team in 2014. The Org. has many options and has placed itself in a very good position from all that I know & that's not much. We are better off than most other NFL on this side element of team management. We will loose several present very low cost starters i.e. LB'er Dunbar, OT Saffold, OG Williams, QB Clemens & OG Shelley Smith with two top reserves in LB Spoon & Safety Giordano.

Rams have positioned themselves well @ LB'er with Spoon & Dunbar with four UDFA's LB'ers availability to be the next man up. Looks like the OL will need the most tinkering with three OL'ers UFA's & the age of Wells & Dahl both with heavy loaded cap hits.

If relief is needed it can be easily attained by the releasing of non starter Finnegan $4 mil, Dahl 4 mil, Langford 4 mil. & Wells 4.5 mil. that's 16 mil there. Finnegan looks to be the easy one to me. Rams have two 2015 UFA's they need to look @ extensions for DE Quinn & FB/TE Kendricks. Quinn will be a serious Chris long contract type...looks to me that Ram will have to pick in 2015 either Quinn or Chris Long but that's a long way off.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I know of no major issues upcoming for this Ram team in 2014. The Org. has many options and has placed itself in a very good position from all that I know & that's not much. We are better off than most other NFL on this side element of team management. We will loose several present very low cost starters i.e. LB'er Dunbar, OT Saffold, OG Williams, QB Clemens & OG Shelley Smith with two top reserves in LB Spoon & Safety Giordano.

Rams have positioned themselves well @ LB'er with Spoon & Dunbar with four UDFA's LB'ers availability to be the next man up. Looks like the OL will need the most tinkering with three OL'ers UFA's & the age of Wells & Dahl both with heavy loaded cap hits.

If relief is needed it can be easily attained by the releasing of non starter Finnegan $4 mil, Dahl 4 mil, Langford 4 mil. & Wells 4.5 mil. that's 16 mil there. Finnegan looks to be the easy one to me. Rams have two 2015 UFA's they need to look @ extensions for DE Quinn & FB/TE Kendricks. Quinn will be a serious Chris long contract type...looks to me that Ram will have to pick in 2015 either Quinn or Chris Long but that's a long way off.
Yep. There's a very small window here that we need to take advantage of. We are well positioned with this core group, but they need to come together on a Championship level. That's a lot to ask of so many young players, but that's why Fisher makes the big bucks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep. There's a very small window here that we need to take advantage of. We are well positioned with this core group, but they need to come together on a Championship level. That's a lot to ask of so many young players, but that's why Fisher makes the big bucks.
Yes it remains highly questionable if this present Ram team has the right "CORE GROUP" assembled starting with Bradford and working itself down from there. But the small window you bring up is indeed small.

I do feel strongly that the players in this "CORE GROUP" have to greatly improve on their on field play to match most of their salaries. Not so sure we can say that this group would get a passing grade from me & their performance reviews would have many improvement plans attached with standards that must be met to retain their employment....as in any business facility or institutions. You can not survive long in business with a defective or under-producing product. The money tree dies.

V3

Hall of Fame

I'd definitely get rid of Finnegan, Dahl, and Langford. Wells can go if they believe in Jones or there's a decent FA C. Take a CB in the first round and look for DT or OG help in FA and/or the draft.

As for Quinn or Long, that's an easy one for me. Quinn. Long isn't as good against the run as people think he is and he doesn't rush the passer as well as Quinn.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd definitely get rid of Finnegan, Dahl, and Langford. Wells can go if they believe in Jones or there's a decent FA C. Take a CB in the first round and look for DT or OG help in FA and/or the draft.

As for Quinn or Long, that's an easy one for me. Quinn. Long isn't as good against the run as people think he is and he doesn't rush the passer as well as Quinn.
I love me some Chris Long. I think he's a very solid DE, but I'd be lying if I said there was a huge dropoff when Hayes came in and took over for him when he was injured. I didn't notice much difference. I don't think you move on from him unless there's a clear indication that you have a better player waiting in the wings though. As it relates to his run-stopping abilities, I can only lean on what Pro Football Focus sees (they have a bunch of eyes on every game), because I don't see the issue. I really don't. But according to them, he's 14th in the league against the run. And bonus ... Quinn is first in the league by a HUGE margin. And I mean HUGE.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I love me some Chris Long. I think he's a very solid DE, but I'd be lying if I said there was a huge dropoff when Hayes came in and took over for him when he was injured. I didn't notice much difference. I don't think you move on from him unless there's a clear indication that you have a better player waiting in the wings though. As it relates to his run-stopping abilities, I can only lean on what Pro Football Focus sees (they have a bunch of eyes on every game), because I don't see the issue. I really don't. But according to them, he's 14th in the league against the run. And bonus ... Quinn is first in the league by a HUGE margin. And I mean HUGE.

I could not argue with the LDE spot being super solid but it comes at a seriously super high cost for both Hayes & Long. I would agree that in truth both Hayes & Long are interchangeable with no loss of performance with Hayes. Hayes in truth has much more value due to his lower cost (2013-Hayes 800K vs Long 12 plus mil) but Hayes does have a history of missing games due to injury, Long does not. As for the starters ...I see Long's game better vs the run than Quinn's due to Quinn's past performance of containing the edge on running plays and I don't care what Pro Football Focus sees Quinn has issues in this area. Not say that Long is perfect either.

I would also add this positive where both DE's Hayes & Sims are much better on running downs @ setting the edge than both long & Quinn. This season our DC Walton sure have cut down on the four DE's packages they ran last yr that resulted in much success! I have no ideal why??? Have to admit that as far as DE's the Org. have on-board the four best DE's in the NFL IMO. Plus they maybe have a 5th is in the crib...Gerald Rivers! But it has come at a cost in the cap the next few yrs.

Maybe someone else can tell me why they have used the four DE package so little thus far? Quinn-Sims-Hayes-Long? If Quinn continues on this same pace where he gets 20 or 21 sacks the Rams will ave to make a big decision on if they want Long or Quinn. no way you can pay 15 mil. for Long a yr and then give Quinn less than that???

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The key word there being "past." This year Quinn's been very, very good in run defense. He had one semi-poor game against SF, but who in that game was really any good? When I tell you there's a large margin between him and the next ranked run defender, it's a number that can't be dismissed as poor research or scouting by the reporting site. It's a +26.6 for Quinn and a +12.9 for the next guy (Michael Bennett).

V3

Hall of Fame

I like Long but I don't like his contract. He's not worth it. That's why I was saying he's expendable in 2015.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like Long but I don't like his contract. He's not worth it. That's why I was saying he's expendable in 2015.
Well, that's debatable as well as subjective. I guess the only way to determine that would be to see how he measures up against the top DEs in the league in terms of production and contract by the end of the year. And that's not really a method I endorse anyway. That said, his contact becomes somewhat more tolerable in 2015-2016, so who knows. The wrench in the works right now is Quinn. I don't see the Rams letting him get to the final year of his contract next year at the wage he's making, and they certainly can't pay him Chris Long money too.

They're gonna have some tough choices soon, and that's why I said before their window is very small right now.

V3

Hall of Fame
Well, that's debatable as well as subjective. I guess the only way to determine that would be to see how he measures up against the top DEs in the league in terms of production and contract by the end of the year. And that's not really a method I endorse anyway. That said, his contact becomes somewhat more tolerable in 2015-2016, so who knows. The wrench in the works right now is Quinn. I don't see the Rams letting him get to the final year of his contract next year at the wage he's making, and they certainly can't pay him Chris Long money too.

They're gonna have some tough choices soon, and that's why I said before their window is very small right now.

That's why I was saying cut Long and keep Quinn. Quinn is MUCH better. If you can get Quinn for Long's contract, it's a very good deal, IMO. Long can be replaced much easier too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's why I was saying cut Long and keep Quinn. Quinn is MUCH better. If you can get Quinn for Long's contract, it's a very good deal, IMO. Long can be replaced much easier too.
Clowney? :peek:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was happy to see Long have a good game last night. I'm not sure, but he must be still fighting injury because he's had an off year until last night.

Long is a durable player. High motor. Steady contributor. Capable of impact plays. He's paid a lot of dough and this is going to be difficult to deal with down the road.

I'm glad we hold a club option in 2015 on Quinn. Essentially, we've got 2 seasons to let this sort out.