Rams' biggest question at every position in 2024

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Rams' biggest question at every position in 2024​

The Los Angeles Rams are on break for summer until they return for training camp in July, which is when the competition will really heat up. Though they got in plenty of good work this offseason, training camp will truly help decide position battles and set the depth chart.

From top to bottom, the Rams look like a playoff contender and a team that could make a deep run in the postseason. However, there are some legitimate questions that still have to be answered.

Looking at each position group, here’s one question about each one.

Quarterback

Can Matthew Stafford stay healthy?

In the last five years, Stafford has missed at least one game in three of those seasons. He’s not exactly injury-prone, but he’s often dealing with even minor ailments that can hinder his play, like hip and thumb injuries last season alone.

The Rams made sure to find a capable backup this offseason by signing Jimmy Garoppolo but there are still concerns about Stafford’s ability to suit up for all 17 games.

Running back

How will Sean McVay split the touches between Kyren Williams and Blake Corum?

Williams was a Pro Bowler last season and truly one of the best backs in the NFL, but the Rams drafted Blake Corum in the third round so Williams has some legitimate pressure behind him. Corum said recently that he expects to catch the ball out of the backfield for the Rams, a sign that he could get more third-down work than expected.

It’ll be interesting to see how Sean McVay divides the touches between his two running backs, especially as a coach who typically likes to lean on one player in the backfield.

Wide receiver

Will Cooper Kupp return to form after two down years?

Kupp failed to top 1,000 yards in each of the last two years, largely due to a variety of injuries that limited him. He had more receiving yards in 17 games during the 2021 season than he had in the last two years (21 games) combined, showing how far his numbers have fallen since that historic season.

Puka Nacua should have another great year but the biggest question is whether Kupp can get back to being a Pro Bowl receiver again and stay healthy for the duration of the season.

Tight end

When will Tyler Higbee be ready to go?

Higbee is rehabbing a torn ACL and MCL with a return date that’s still very much up in the air. In the meantime, the Rams have Colby Parkinson, Hunter Long and Davis Allen at tight end, but the offense is still better when Higbee is available.

The question is when he’ll be healthy enough to participate. He’s expected to start the summer on the PUP list and it’s possible he’ll miss the start of the regular season, but hopefully it’s not more than a few games.

Offensive tackle

Can Alaric Jackson continue to improve?

Jackson was solid last season, playing well enough at left tackle to earn a one-year tender worth $4.9 million. However, there’s still room for him to improve even more and become an above-average left tackle for Los Angeles.

There aren’t really any concerns about the other four starters up front, but if Jackson regresses and plays poorly in 2024, the entire offensive line could take a step back. This is a big year for Jackson.

Guard

Will Kevin Dotson be one of the best guards in the NFL again?

Dotson earned a long-term extension with the Rams this offseason after establishing himself as a top guard in the league last year. He was inconsistent in his first three years with the Steelers so he may still need to prove his dominant performance in 2023 wasn’t a fluke.

If Dotson turns in another season that’s deserving of Pro Bowl consideration, the Rams will be in great shape along the offensive line, which will set Stafford, Williams and everyone up for success.

Center

How seamless will Steve Avila’s move from guard to center be?

Avila is making the difficult move from guard to center, which is much more than just a physical switch. It’s also one that requires a lot mentally because he’ll be the one identifying blitzers and setting the protection with Stafford pre-snap.

Everyone expects Avila to excel at his new position, which is a spot he played in college, and Jonah Jackson said recently that Avila is already doing well in the middle.

Defensive line

How will Chris Shula deploy Kobie Turner and Braden Fiske?

The obvious question is “How will the Rams replace Aaron Donald?” but it’s more about how Turner and Fiske will be managed along the defensive line. Turner played 3-tech and nose tackle last season but with Donald gone, will he be the primary 3-tech? Assuming Bobby Brown III takes on a bigger role, Turner will likely play nose tackle less often.

That leaves him and Fiske to play defensive tackle and defensive end, hopefully generating consistent pressure to help out Jared Verse and Byron Young.

Edge rusher

Can the edge rushers generate consistent pressure without Aaron Donald inside?

Young was a standout rookie in 2023 with eight sacks and it’s reasonable to think he’ll get even better in Year 2. However, he and the Rams’ other edge rushers won’t have Donald drawing double- and triple-teams on the interior. There’s something to be said about the “Aaron Donald Effect” on the Rams’ edge rushers, which has led to career years by Dante Fowler Jr. and Leonard Floyd.

The Rams desperately need Verse and Young to step up at outside linebacker in order to keep the defense playing at a high level.

Inside linebacker

Can the Rams get steady play out of anyone behind Ernest Jones?

Jones is such an important part of the defense and with the way Los Angeles has deployed its linebackers in recent years, he’ll often be the only inside linebacker on the field. That being said, when the Rams are in base packages, they’ll need someone reliable alongside Jones.

Christian Rozeboom and Troy Reeder are the top candidates to line up next to Jones but neither has been particularly reliable. Jacob Hummel is another option, too.

Cornerback

Who will be the primary slot defender?

Quentin Lake emerged as the Rams’ best option in the slot last season and the Rams didn’t add anyone who’s considered an upgrade; Tre’Davious White and Darious Williams are both primarily outside corners. It seemed like Lake’s job to lose but Chris Shula said both Russ Yeast and Derion Kendrick are doing well in the slot.

Could a change be on the horizon? It’s an important position on defense, one previously held by Jalen Ramsey. No matter who wins that job, the Rams need someone who can cover, tackle and stop the run.

Safety

Will Kamren Kinchens be a Day 1 starter next to Kamren Curl?

If Shula plans to play Yeast or Kendrick in the slot, it could mean more of a full-time safety role for Lake next to free-agent addition, Kamren Curl. The Rams also have Kinchens, a third-round rookie, who has a ton of upside with the ball skills he showed in college.

Will it be Kinchens at safety next to Curl? Will Lake move back there full-time? Will Yeast get another crack at starting? There are a lot of questions about the safety group, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Special teams

Who will return kicks and punts?

The Rams had the league’s worst special teams unit in the NFL last season, and it wasn’t just because of their kicking situation. They were terrible in the return game, getting nothing out of that phase of special teams.

Heading into the 2024 season, the Rams have Boston Scott on the roster, a strong candidate to return kickoffs. Kyren Williams could also be an option, as could Blake Corum, given the new kickoff rules that make it more similar to an offensive play.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
A friend of mine son goes to a training center(Corey Taylor training) here in Louisville and he said Russ Yeast was there yesterday

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I think Jonah Jackson at guard is a bigger question than Dotson. We know what we have with Dotson. The question should be how well does Jackson transition to our system and does he perform as anticipated.

Psycho_X

Legend
I think Jonah Jackson at guard is a bigger question than Dotson. We know what we have with Dotson. The question should be how well does Jackson transition to our system and does he perform as anticipated.
I don't anticipate the system transition to be an issue just his health. He's been banged up often in his career. Really health is this teams biggest concern I think. Stafford, Kupp, J. Jackson, Higbee, and T. White are all aging vets we're relying on who have had trouble staying healthy lately. Luckily we've finally started to get some depth and quality youth across the board except at ILB and CB.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The questions for each position are not anything new. We've all had similar questions during the offseason. Any of us could write for Ramswire. We won't know the answer to any of that till they start playing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That was my thought as well - along with the fact that Jonah has had some injury issues. All in all, I'd say it was a pretty worthless article. I think pretty much anyone could have written it and you could just change the team and player names around to make it work for any team. A real yawner.

dang

Legend
Jones goes down the Rams D is screwed. Bringing in Reeder is like bringing in Bobby Evans.
Reeder tries hard but has little left. Rozeboom looks like decent depth/special team talent. I’ll be very disappointed if the Rams dont find someone more athletic and versatile for ILB2.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reeder tries hard but has little left. Rozeboom looks like decent depth/special team talent. I’ll be very disappointed if the Rams dont find someone more athletic and versatile for ILB2.
Agreed. Hopefully the Rams can pick up a decent guy that gets cut before the season starts. You know Snead is looking. Or maybe one of these new guys steps up.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
The Rams will have a top-three rushing attack this year-- it should keep Stafford in the upright position and have an injury-free year.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Jones goes down the Rams D is screwed. Bringing in Reeder is like bringing in Bobby Evans.
I'm sure the Rams will be looking at last minute cuts on other teams. I've noticed that when they scout a player they don't just forget about him if they don't draft him. He's in the back of the mind to these scouts and Snead.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The questions for each position are not anything new. We've all had similar questions during the offseason. Any of us could write for Ramswire.
That's probably where they got their material.
When I was a journalist, I used to tell my colleagues that plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.