Rams Between the Horns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
All run games are predictable. They're about beating that MFer in front of you. If your run game is sustained by bells and whistles it is destined to fail in the playoffs.

Boom is part of that prob in the run game but it's not just him. SF beat us up front rather consistently and so did Tampa. Seattle it looked to me at least like the Rams could have had a huge day running the ball but mistakes seemed to drive the issues more than it was our OL getting beat. Basically our OL moves Seattle's front. But some like SF and Tampa it was the other way around.

And it's no surprise that there's dropoff from Whit to Boom. One's a Pro Bowl level performer this season and the other is a young guy who has a lot to work on as well as a tendency to get pushed around.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and btw Arizona's front is not going to be able to overpower our line. So the run game should be there and as a result the offense will probably look pretty damn good.

Also we do have Akers showing signs of arriving. I am very excited about that. I think we're going to see a very productive day on the ground this Sunday.

Aulac

UDFA
Name
Smileless
Whitworth does more than just run-blocking, he also run down the field and block for whoever is running. I don't have the All 22 so I don't know if Noteboom does the same or not. All I know is that our running game went away with the substraction of Whitworth. Even when we faced the number 3 rush defense (I forgot which team it was), we still had over 100 yards rushing against them. Ever since Whitworth went down, we have not had over 100 yards rushing in any game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All run games are predictable. They're about beating that MFer in front of you. If your run game is sustained by bells and whistles it is destined to fail in the playoffs.

Boom is part of that prob in the run game but it's not just him. SF beat us up front rather consistently and so did Tampa. Seattle it looked to me at least like the Rams could have had a huge day running the ball but mistakes seemed to drive the issues more than it was our OL getting beat. Basically our OL moves Seattle's front. But some like SF and Tampa it was the other way around.

And it's no surprise that there's dropoff from Whit to Boom. One's a Pro Bowl level performer this season and the other is a young guy who has a lot to work on as well as a tendency to get pushed around.

Edwards had a PFF score over 90 against San Francisco. Pretty good for a guy converting to guard and barely a full season under his belt, especially against SF.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Edwards had a PFF score over 90 against San Francisco. Pretty good for a guy converting to guard and barely a full season under his belt, especially against SF.
Yeah he's a badass. Still young but IMO has Pro Bowls in his future. (y)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah he's a badass. Still young but IMO has Pro Bowls in his future. (y)

Maybe Snead can find another first round talent that was injured and drops to round five in the next draft. Any centers fit that bill?

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Whitworth does more than just run-blocking, he also run down the field and block for whoever is running. I don't have the All 22 so I don't know if Noteboom does the same or not. All I know is that our running game went away with the substraction of Whitworth. Even when we faced the number 3 rush defense (I forgot which team it was), we still had over 100 yards rushing against them. Ever since Whitworth went down, we have not had over 100 yards rushing in any game.

Whit knows how to go find people and block them. Boom has trouble predicting where defenders are going to be.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I see our run game as a very simple thing. When the O-line dictates... we do great, when not.... we don't. Last week against the whiners our run O-line sucked, and our run game, besides one play, reflected that fact. That game in particular reminded me of the '16 O-line that allowed defenses to stop Gurley in the backfield constantly. If you allow penetration right off the snap you really have a very small chance for success.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think that comes w time. For a first timer at LT he's doing fairly well.

He looks great pass blocking one on one, moving sideways or backwards. But, I don't think its easy to improve on something like his run blocking troubles. Its either lack of quickness, the defense just moves too fast for him, or knowing how to instinctively get where your target is going and intercepting him. I think its a bit of AP three. I hope he can learn it but he had the same problem run blocking at guard too.

Edwards played great, but being bracketed by Noteboom and Blythe is almost like wasting Edwards ability on the unit. Its like Incognito when he was with the Rams.