Rams at Broncos

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
IT’S GAME DAY!

The GDT is a live thread tradition here at ROD.

While we all get fired up watching the game, please remember our core principles; we always show respect for our team and each other.

Despite the emotional highs and lows watching a game, we will moderate this thread with that in mind, however please refrain from name calling. This applies to players, the Rams organization, and others.

This is the core rule of the GDT. Moderators are tasked to issue thread bans, at a minimum, to maintain this standard.

This is our team. Win or lose. Good days and bad.

Go Rams!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.therams.com/news/game-preview-rams-continue-road-stint-against-the-denver-broncos

Game Preview: Rams Head to Denver to Take on Broncos

The undefeated Los Angeles Rams (5-0) will leave the West Coast for the first time all season in Week 6 to face the Broncos (2-3) in Denver.

For the second straight week, the Rams will be tasked with stopping the run. Much like the Seahawks, the Broncos have been moving the ball well on the ground, using two running backs. Rookie RBs Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman will be the Broncos best bet to put points on the board against the Rams defense.

Lindsay, an undrafted rookie, has accumulated 328 rushing yards and scored a touchdown this season. His fellow rookie back — a third-round pick — has added 250 yards and three touchdowns.

Last week against the Seahawks, the Rams allowed 190 rushing yards — the most all season. In his Monday press conference, McVay said that fortunately many of the Rams’ mistakes in stopping the run were ‘“fixable.”

“I think we need to address some different things and there's a reason why each one of those runs popped out,” McVay said. “I thought there was also some great individual efforts by their running backs, [Seahawks RBs Mike] Davis and [Chris] Carson, both ran really hard. What we're encouraged about as you watch it as a staff are they're very fixable things.”

Aside from stopping the run, L.A.’s defense has been focused on playing a complete game in Week 6.

“We have not started out fast, or in some cases we have, and then got 'laxed and let offenses to come back, which is something that we need to correct,” DT Ndamukong Suh said on Thursday.

“We just got to play better in certain situations,” DT Aaron Donald agreed. “We might be out of our gap here and there and get it and hurts you, so it’s just little mistakes — things we need to fix — we just need to keep working.”

In the last two games, the Rams have allowed 864 yards of total offense and seven touchdowns against the Vikings and Seahawks — which has been one of very few sore spots for the undefeated club after a dominant defensive performance through the first three games of the season.

L.A.’s defense has, however, played stout defense in the fourth quarter in 2018, allowing just six points all season in the final 15 minutes.

If the Rams do roll out an improved run defense — which currently ranks No. 18 in the NFL — it’ll be up to former Rams QB Case Keenum and his veteran receiver duo of Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders to keep up with L.A.’s high-scoring offense.

Keenum joined the Broncos in the offseason following his 2017 NFC Championship game run with the Minnesota Vikings. In his sixth NFL season, Keenum has struggled with turnovers. He’s thrown seven interceptions, which is second-most in the NFL, and fumbled three times in five games — though Denver has recovered them all.

Last week against the Jets, Keenum was 35-of-51 for 377 yards and two touchdowns, with one pick.

“He's a really good quarterback and we played him last year,” defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said this week. “They obviously paid him a lot of money because they thought he was too. Like I said, he went 377 last game, so he can throw the football. They've got really good receivers, so we've got to do what we do. We've got to play good pass defense and rush the passer well against a good quarterback. That's always the menu.”

Second-year safety John Johnson said the defense is aware of Keenum’s ability to extend plays, especially after the Vikings’ 24-7 win against the Rams a year ago.

“We know what he can do. He kind of hurt us with his legs last year a few times converting, so definitely we can watch some tape from last year and see what his game has done from last year to this year,” Johnson said.

Thomas and Sanders, who were both members of the 2010 draft class, lead the way for Broncos’ receivers, combining for three touchdowns in 2018. Both Thomas and Sanders were members of the Super 50 Champion Broncos, along with Rams cornerback Aqib Talib.

Though Talib will not be joining the Rams in Week 6 against his former team due to an ankle injury suffered in Week 3, Denver will look across the field at some familiar faces on Sunday.

Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips led Talib and the Broncos’ defense for two seasons, including Denver’s Super Bowl 50 Championship season in 2015.

Phillips spoke about going against his former team this week.

“I'm still close with a lot of the players, obviously,” Phillips said. “I have great feelings for them and the coaches. I got too much credit when I was there because [Broncos Defensive Coordinator] Joe Woods and [Broncos Linebackers Coach] Reggie Herring and [Broncos Defensive Line Coach] Bill Kollar – they're all there. They were the guys that met with the guys every day and got them to play the way we did. I was just riding on the train clanging the bell.”

The Broncos offense will also be forced to attack All-Pro cornerback and former AFC West ball-hawk, Marcus Peters, who spent the first three years of his career in Kansas City. Peters has three career interceptions against the Broncos and returned one pick for a touchdown. He also had a forced fumble and fumble recovery returned for a touchdown in his most recent game against Denver.

Facing AFC West opponents this season, Peters recorded a pick-six against the Raiders in Week 1, along with a handful of tackles, and then saw little action in Week 3 against the Chargers, when he was forced to leave the game early due to a calf injury.

The Broncos won’t only prepare to showdown against familiar faces on Sunday, as head coach Vance Joseph is preparing to beat a defense that he is quite familiar with.

Joseph spent three seasons with the Texans under Phillips as Houston's secondary coach. In his Wednesday conference call, Joseph called his former boss his “Football Father” and praised Phillips' ability to cater to his players’ individual abilities, which shows in the undefeated Rams’ 3-4 defense led by pass rushing DTs Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh, and Michael Brockers.

Joseph talked about what makes the Rams defense unique.

“Most of the time in 3-4, you've got a nose [tackle] — a heavy nose who can't rush — and two heavy ends who can't rush. But, all three guys are really good pass rushers and they're really stout in the run game,” Joseph explained.

As Joseph and the Broncos offense scheme to beat Phillips’ Hollywood version of his legendary 3-4 defense, McVay and the L.A. offense is preparing for Denver’s defense — which, thanks to Phillips’ influence, may not be all that different.

“There's definitely some principles and some different things that coach Woods and Vance are doing that are similar to what Wade had done when he was in Denver and that we're doing here. But then there's also — you can just see that some of the things that coach Joseph has done in his past, with some of the influence of his background. So there's principles from both systems, but what you do see is a very sound system. With what they're doing, they do it well. They have great players that are doing it,” McVay said.

If the Rams hope to improve to 6-0 for the first time since 2001, the league's current leader in passing yards, quarterback Jared Goff, and the league’s top point scorer, running back Todd Gurley will have to outshine outside linebacker Von Miller and cornerback Chris Harris Jr.

In his eighth NFL season, Miller has 4.0 sacks, 20 tackles, two forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery through five games.

Goff was asked this week if it’s important to keep tabs on a guy like Miller while he’s on the field.

"Yes and no. I think on certain plays 'no' and some plays 'yes.' If it's a known-passing situation, knowing where a guy like that is that's had so much success in those situations is, is important,” Goff explained. “But, I trust [RT] Rob [Havenstein] and [LT Andrew Whitworth] 'Whit' – whichever side he decides to play this week."

Rams fans, fantasy football GMs, and the Broncos defense alike, will likely have their eyes on the injury status of two of McVay’s top offense weapons entering the weekend. Wide receivers Brandin Cooks and Cooper Kupp were concussed against the Seahawks, and went through concussion protocol this week.

Cooks and Kupp have been the Rams top receivers so far in 2018, combining for 890 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

McVay told the media on Thursday, that barring no setbacks, both Cooks and Kupp should be good to go come Sunday.

Finally, the expected forecast for Sunday’s game looks nothing like what the Rams have been playing in this season. The weather outlook as of Friday morning calls a high that is below freezing, and a 60 percent chance of snow throughout the afternoon in Denver.

“You've got to adjust. There's a couple different things just menu-wise with your play selection that you want to be aware of, but it's just like anything else.” McVay said about Sunday’s possible conditions following a sunny and 75 degree practice.

“They've got to deal with those elements as well. Out here in Southern California, unless we want to go to an ice rink, I don't think we can really mimic and emulate that.”

Kickoff in Denver is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. PDT.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/tune-in-rams-vs-broncos-in-week-6

Tune In: Rams vs. Broncos in Week 6

The Rams (5-0) will take on the Broncos (2-3) on Sunday, October 14 at Broncos Stadium at Mile High in Denver. The game will be broadcast live on FOX, with a kickoff time set for 1:05 p.m. PDT. Check below for all the information you need to tune in to Sunday’s game:

BROADCAST INFO

TELEVISION: Sunday’s game will be broadcast FOX. Play-by-play commentator Dick Stockton will be joined by color-commentator Mark Schlereth. Jen Hale will be reporting from the sidelines.

RADIO: Sunday’s contest will be broadcast on ESPNLA 710 AM and simulcast on 93.1 JACK FM. The English broadcast will feature Voice of the Rams J.B. Long on play-by-play, with Maurice Jones-Drew as color analyst, and D’Marco Farr on the sidelines. Plus, tune into 1330 AM for ESPN Deportes' live Spanish broadcast of the game with Troy Santiago and Ricardo Lopez on the call.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow the Rams on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat for live updates and behind-the-scenes content before, during, and after the game.

NFL APP: Local and primetime games are available for live streaming on the officially NFL app.

Domestic fans can watch games after they air with NFL Game Pass*. Click here to sign up for your FREE 7-day trial and start getting unprecedented access to every game, all year long.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If this is correct, it will be cold... but the snow should move out just about game time. Forecast as of 7am EST.

983E9463-E0DB-44AA-AAE2-89F826B8A474.jpeg

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/co/denver

Rams can’t really prepare for snow and cold that might await in Denver

DENVER – To prepare for boisterous road crowds, NFL teams blare music or white noise. To prepare for wet conditions, practice balls can be dunked. Sub-freezing temperatures present a bigger challenge.

“Out here in southern California, unless we want to go to an ice rink, I don’t think we can really mimic and emulate that,” Rams coach Sean McVay said this week, while he happened to be wearing shorts.

The Rams didn’t pack light for Sunday’s game at Denver. Forecasts all weekhave called for snow at game time, with a temperature in the high 20s, at best. The Rams likely will play their coldest October game in at least 35 years, and they could end a long stretch of avoiding a snow-covered field.

The Rams’ last “snow game” is thought to be the 1985 NFC championship game at Chicago, which included flurries. Jim Everett, who played quarterback for the Rams from 1986-93, said he never played in the snow, and NFL game sheets for the Rams did not mention snow in the last two decades.

It also could be one of the coldest games in Rams history, although it certainly won’t approach the 8-degree kickoff temperature when Everett and the Rams played at Green Bay in Dec. 1992.

The Rams played in the rain last week in Seattle, but playing in freezing conditions, on a natural field that could feel like concrete, is much different than a few raindrops. It’s even rarer in October, when the Rams’ coldest game in recent years was in 2016 in London, with a kickoff temperature of 55 degrees.

“It’s nothing,” said receiver Robert Woods, who grew up in Southern California and played at USC. “It’s just a part of the game. It’s just elements. It could be 80 degrees, 20 degrees, snow, raining, sunshine. We’ve still got to play between the lines. We’ve still got to put up more points than our opponents.”

That’s true, but the Broncos are more accustomed. The Rams haven’t played a game with a kickoff temperature below 30 degrees since 2004, when they went to Green Bay in December and lost 45-17. A search found, since 1981, at least six Rams games with a kickoff temperature of 32 degrees or below. The Rams went 1-5 in those games.

Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.
“Well, it’s always cold when it’s snowing,” Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips deadpanned. “That’s the one game I want to go up to the press box and say, ‘Hey, you guys are on the field. I can see better up here.’ ”

Not surprisingly, defensive players have a more positive outlook about cold weather. They’re not the ones who have to throw, catch or hold the ball. Pittsburgh native Aaron Donald seemed almost joyful as he noted he “grew up in the snow,” and Ndamukong Suh cited his extensive college experience at Nebraska.

There should be some concern about the Rams’ offense, which has picked up 69.6 percent of its yards through passing this season. California kid Jared Goff did fine in Tennessee last December, when it dipped into the 40s, so perhaps the mindset is, what’s another 15 degrees or so?

“You’ve got to adjust,” Coach Sean McVay said. “There’s a couple different things just menu-wise with your play selection that you want to be aware of, but it’s just like anything else. (The Broncos have) to deal with those elements as well.”

Broncos quarterback Case Keenum has played most of his home games indoors, with Houston, Minnesota and in St. Louis with the Rams. This week, Keenum cited a cold game last December against Green Bay, but Keenum passed for 139 yards in that game, which his Vikings won 16-0.

“I’ve had some experience with it,” Keenum said. “It’s one of those things, you just go out there and you deal with it. Everybody is dealing with the same temperature. I don’t think it’s any different on their sideline than it is on ours. We’re all dealing with it. You have to be mentally tough about it.”
Not all cold-weather memories are bad. Phillips, who has been through his share of cold-weather games as a coach in Denver and Buffalo, cited a 2015 snow game, when he was the Broncos’ defensive coordinator. Kickoff conditions included a wind chill of 19 degrees.

The Broncos trailed that game 21-7 in the fourth quarter but rallied to win 30-24 in overtime.

“In overtime,” Phillips said, “they won the toss and Tom Brady was cheering because they got the ball. I’m sure he felt – as they’ve done many times – that they were going to win the game, but Von Miller sacked him and they had to punt and we scored. I have some good memories. At least that one.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/...for-snow-and-cold-that-might-await-in-denver/

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Can we just turn this into the rams@Broncos celebration thread now.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I really hope this game is ours early...

I have a colonoscopy tomorrow and I gotta start taking the "rocket fuel" about 5pm Eastern.

I'm already gonna be uncomfortable enough, so hopefully, our Rams make it less painful...

Not really worried about Keenum as he hasn't been in sync with anyone really, but if the Denver D gets points from turnovers, this could be an awfully long evening...

Okay...happy thoughts!

Horns up!!!

GO RAMS!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Loos like if the Rams tune up the Broncos, Vance Joseph is in trouble...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really hope this game is ours early...

I have a colonoscopy tomorrow and I gotta start taking the "rocket fuel" about 5pm Eastern.

I'm already gonna be uncomfortable enough, so hopefully, our Rams make it less painful...

Not really worried about Keenum as he hasn't been in sync with anyone really, but if the Denver D gets points from turnovers, this could be an awfully long evening...

Okay...happy thoughts!

Horns up!!!

GO RAMS!!!

A couple of weeks ago my back hurt so I took two voltarin tablets. After I took them I wondered if they affected affect my inr level. I take warfarin so i have to think about these things. As it happens I had to do an inr test the next day. It did affect my inr level and i told my doctor i took the tablets. He said to me why didn't i use a suppository, like it's a normal activity. Ahh, funny.

I told him I'd rather be in pain. Or use the voltarin cream on my back.

Anyway, your post reminded me of that. Good luck with whatever is ailing you.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The last 3 times the Denver Broncos played 5-0 teams they won the game.

This is a unique statistic and by golly, the Rams need to stop this trend and will their way to victory against the Broncos today.

Happy 24th Birthday today Jared Goff. Break this trend and lead your team to 6-0
Rams.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Loos like if the Rams tune up the Broncos, Vance Joseph is in trouble...

Not sure how legit “firevancejoseph.com” is...

https://www.firevancejoseph.com/news/2018/10/8/writers-start-to-question-josephs-job-security
  • Matt Verdarame of Fansided:
    • “The Denver Broncos are clearly headed towards another lost season, and head coach Vance Joseph must take responsibility for the team’s failures.”
  • Frank Schwab of Yahoo Sports:
    • “Over the course of seven days, Joseph’s seat became perhaps the hottest in the entire NFL. The Broncos blew a 10-point lead against the Kansas City Chiefs at home on Monday night, then they were blown out on Sunday by the New York Jets. The Broncos scored the first seven points, then the Jets scored 34 of the next 37. It was a brutal performance in every conceivable way.”
  • Chad Jensen of 247Sports:
    • The fanbase is restless and tired of the excuses. Those of us who cover the team have run out of ways to explain away the comedy errors and prop up this coaching staff.

After losing on the road to a 1-3 team, I'm not sure there's a single NFL club the Broncos could beat right now, and if that's not an indictment on Vance Joseph, I don't know what is.

The 2018 season already feels like it's out of control. The Broncos invested heavily into personnel this past offseason, and it has not paid dividends.”

RhodyRams

well hung member
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie
The joke of the day is going to be " 3 Giants fans and a Rams fan walk into a bar"

Playing golf with brother in law, nephew, and my buddy today at Misquamicut Country Club, one of RI's premier courses. Tee time is at 11 so should be done by kick off.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well, the Rams OL is filled with dudes from the Midwest, so they are used to playing in this weather. So should be a Gurley and Brown pound the ball at them day.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
But, how far back does that stat reach? This current Bronos team is not as good as the one from about 2011-2014

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Any time a team needs weather help to get a win, it usually bodes poorly for that team.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fuck that we are going to 6-0. Come on you RAMS!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
These are the so called NFL media experts that have predicted the Rams to lose today.

629071220e0ea428239c37c4ff553f0643e4fdfb.jpg
mqdefault.jpg

19a0ikwt73ee1png.png

Horns Up!
tumblr_n5vomuq5pw1s7y8efo1_500.gif

Feels like, now at 5-0... we’ll start seeing people every week start predicting our first loss.

“To be THE guy who saw it coming”.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Case Keenum had better watch his back. Elway was spotted at Oregon’s Autzen stadium yesterday likely scouting top NFL QB prospect Justin Herbert of the Ducks. The Rams are oh so eager to help them with their goal to reach that top draft position.