Rams are like the 80s Niners in a way

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
The way I see it is we had this horrible owner in Georgia who was a cheapskate and did not know anything about football. And we had a coach in Robbinson that was run right, run left. Boring old school. And that moron who did the Dickerson trade in Shaw.
Niners had a owner in Eddie D. who was willing to pay for top level talent and put real football people in charge. They had the "next big thing" in coaching in Bill Walsh. Not young though.

The Rams now have a owner with VERY deep pockets and is willing to let the football people make decisions, not the bean counters. And it is THE RAMS who have the "next big thing" in coaching in McVay. Who has a real connection to those 80s Niners who started it all.
And he is very young, smart, talented with something extra about him. McVay is the key, lock him up to a long term deal.
And it is the RAMs with the young core group of talented players.Have our quarterback too.

Have to deal with free agency though. For those of you not old enough to know what it was like before it all started, it is the worst thing to ever happen in pro sports. I could start a whole thread just about that. The Rams "bench" in the early 80s was littered with future Pro Bowlers, never would happen today.
But I was a bit jealous of the 49ers back then. We had our hands tied behind our back and all we could do was watch. All we got was 2 NFC Championship appearances.
Now its our turn, here is to multiple Super Bowls in our future !!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Let's not leave out Snead. Snead's wheeling and dealing helped set up the roster we have today.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Let's not leave out Snead. Snead's wheeling and dealing helped set up the roster we have today.

8392e9004b296f1fd4ebf6bf1c1e5485.jpg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have to deal with free agency though. For those of you not old enough to know what it was like before it all started, it is the worst thing to ever happen in pro sports. I could start a whole thread just about that. The Rams "bench" in the early 80s was littered with future Pro Bowlers, never would happen today

how is a bench littered with future all pros good for the game, or the players for that matter?

at least in this day and age the best players play, not sit on the bench watching their careers go down the toilet.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
HOW DARE YOU COMPARE THE RAMS TO THE WHINERS! SUCH A THING IS SACRILEGE! MAY A THOUSAND DEACON JONES FLY UP INTO YOUR ASS!

Sorry. I guess I'm just a little touchy on the subject.:mad:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
FFUUUUUCKKKKOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF

* my intial response to any comparison of our Rams to anything 49er

I hope to reread the OP's post with more objectivity after I get done vomiting

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Though the rivalry is back. They are going to be our NFC west contenders. We are better this time though.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I'm sorry...... I read the title and threw up a lil in my mouth......

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
how is a bench littered with future all pros good for the game, or the players for that matter?

at least in this day and age the best players play, not sit on the bench watching their careers go down the toilet.

Back then the owners had the players locked up, all the power. Ever head of "developing players". Hard to do these days. Draft a player and when they hit their prime they are a free agent, it sucks.
Dynasties happened back then, real ones. Can not do it today. Pats have come close because of their cheater coach.
Do not give me any of that "at least in this day" crap. You think its cool to have to overpay Gurly and Goff here soon.
Look what happened to the Hags after they gave big bucks to Wilson. Takes a team down.
Every QB is not going to take less like Brady. Look at the Ravens, too. Straight downhill.
I could not care if the players have 4 Ferrari's, two is good enough.
The Rams had future Pro Bowlers Leroy Irvin and Doug Smith waiting in the wings in 81. Do not tell me its better today.
It was better when the Dodgers had the infield of Garvey, Lopes, Russel and Cey.
Steelers had all those great players for so long.

What I am trying to say is it is our time, right now. I had to live with the Niners, who were our bitch 7 years in a row all of a sudden become good when they had a great coach and owner. Now we do.
Its great.
And we are going to beat the dog sh!t out of the Niners and the rest of the division this season. Niners will be our bitch, watch.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This team doesn't deserve any big accolades just yet tbh. They need to get deeper into the playoffs at least and earn that type of stuff. As much as I like many of the moves they made, it's gotta translate onto the field.

All we've done so far is one and done in the playoffs. Got a long ways to go to be compared to the whiners' glory years. And it pains me to say it, given the pain those teams made us feel.

ninedeuce

Rookie
I’ll accept the comparison to those bastards if it means our #16 wins us 4 shiny ones as well.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The truth is that we have legitimate reasons to be over-the-moon right now about the team's prospects this year. If winning Super Bowls is the acid test of great teams, we haven't done anything yet with the current team. Yet, it thrills the mind that the Rams are better than last year, imo. It's not just that we have fancy new toys that are better than the toys in which we lost, it's the maturation and rock solid stability of players within the schemes (year 2), and superior coaching.

WHY NOT US?!?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Eagle fans feel they won without their star Quarterback and thier all pro Left Tackle, the Vikings feel they've upgraded at Quarterback significantly and the New Orleans Saints feel they were one defensive meltdown away and I'm not counting the team the defeated the Rams in post season...One game at a time Gentlemen, one game at a time!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eagle fans feel they won without their star Quarterback and thier all pro Left Tackle, the Vikings feel they've upgraded at Quarterback significantly and the New Orleans Saints feel they were one defensive meltdown away and I'm not counting the team the defeated the Rams in post season...One game at a time Gentlemen, one game at a time!
You're right....Better quiet the 3 Super Bowls in a row, talk:rockon:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The difference is the Eagles WON. Rams and Vikes and Aints fans and any fans of any other team that came up short can feel any way they want, but it don't matter. I still can't believe the Eagles did what they did, but they're the only fans who are right. As proven on the field.

Hopefully next year that will be us. But until we're sitting where the Eagles are sitting I'm not interested in throwing them accolades. Get to work!!!