Rams Any Closer to Catching Seahawks?/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
What about now? It's the offseason. There really isn't much to talk about. How are you going to show that Bradford will throw farther? Are you suggesting they change OCs?

I'm not a fan of Schurmer but Bradford was dinking and dunking before he got here. That's not entirely his fault but it IS an important fact about his tenure in the NFL. If the Rams ever want to get over the hump, they are going to need to have a much higher YPA.

What was his YPA for the last TWO years under Schotty? That's more of what we should expect this season. It's not nearly as bad as his career average, I'm assuming.

Wonderboy

Rookie
How silly are all of these "Rams receivers aren't good enough" people going to look in a couple of years when the patience of the Rams coaches pays off? I'm so tired of people talking about how they haven't proven anything and they aren't good enough.... They're YOUNG! Sure, Jared Cook could have been better last year. But other than him, who do we have catching passes with more than a year of experience? NOBODY! These guys are going to get better and then these same people are going to be singing the praises of the Rams staff for not adding MORE ROOKIE receivers and letting Austin, Givens, Quick, & Bailey DEVELOP. I feel like the Rams are building a dynasty that is going to start either in 2014 or more so in 2015 and could continue for a couple of years before free agency starts to potentially eat them up. Look at the talent we have on this roster, it's crazy!

Rant. Over.

V3

Hall of Fame
What was his YPA for the last TWO years under Schotty? That's more of what we should expect this season. It's not nearly as bad as his career average, I'm assuming.

The last two years Bradford had a 6.4 and 6.7 YPA, respectively. The two prior he had a 6.1 and 6.0 YPA. Not a big difference. Last year's 6.4 put him 4th worst in the entire NFL. The top 10 QB's were 7.4 to 9.1. If his past two years under Schotty are what we're to expect from him this year, we aren't going to win. A 6.55 YPA is not good. He would have been 29th in the NFL last year with that average.

RamsAndEwe had a great post about how important a good YPA is when it's correlated with the passing defense.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/how-to-win-in-the-modern-nfl-drafting-a-dynasty.25004/

There's a strong correlation between winning and YPA passing on offense and defense. We HAVE to get that number up. I don't know if it's Bradford, Schotty, the O-line, or the WRs. All I know is that we need a lot more from our offense if they want to win.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
How silly are all of these "Rams receivers aren't good enough" people going to look in a couple of years when the patience of the Rams coaches pays off? I'm so tired of people talking about how they haven't proven anything and they aren't good enough.... They're YOUNG! Sure, Jared Cook could have been better last year. But other than him, who do we have catching passes with more than a year of experience? NOBODY! These guys are going to get better and then these same people are going to be singing the praises of the Rams staff for not adding MORE ROOKIE receivers and letting Austin, Givens, Quick, & Bailey DEVELOP. I feel like the Rams are building a dynasty that is going to start either in 2014 or more so in 2015 and could continue for a couple of years before free agency starts to potentially eat them up. Look at the talent we have on this roster, it's crazy!

Rant. Over.

Completely agree. Now maybe they won't all become greats/superstars or whatever you want to call them, but they'll be good players. They've shown potential and they're learning. You look at people like Alshonn Jeffery at the Bears and I would say he has a HUGE advantage in his development over our guys. Having a guy like Brandon Marshall showing you the ins and outs of the game is a big advantage.

Also, I think we are shaping up to have a great year. Three "ifs" in my book. 1. Bradford has to be decent. 2. O-Line needs to be solid. 3. Secondary needs to be solid. I'm not really worried about too much else. In my opinion Bradford will play well and will earn his keep and people will stop bad talking him. The O-Line and secondary look good on paper but we all know how that goes, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
One other thing. I feel like we've had more competition from the Niners and the Cardinals than we have from the Seahawks. Part of me feels like the Niners are going to take a step back this year though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK.......

2012 he copped 6.7 YPA
2013 he copped 6.4 YPA.

He needs to improve that, he needs to get the ball further downfield. Hopefully he will finally break the habit instilled by Spagnuolo and the airhorn.

in the panthers game, a sign of things to come until sam got injured, he threw for 8.5 ypa.

that's with the ticky tack tripping call negating a 61 yard td and a quick drop where the ball landed perfectly in his hands which negated a 30 yard td.

so he could have thrown for 11.1 ypa.

that's not even counting his first throw which had 80 yard td written all over it until his arm was tipped as he threw it resulting in a pick 6.

i have no concerns about the rams throwing the ball down the field. when they can run the ball sam can sling it.

last 3 games before sam's injury - 6.5 ypa, 7.3 ypa, 8.5 ypa. as stacy began to become a focal point of defenses things started opening up in the pass game. with g rob coming on board the run game should be even better. look for plenty of pass opportunities for the rams moving forward.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Rant. Over.
If that happens, I'll happily admit that I was wrong.

If no #1 emerges and our offense stagnates for being too one dimensional, I won't say anything then because I don't celebrate when the Rams fail.

But the thing of it is, right now we don't know if anyone is going to develop. Austin and Bailey will likely be fine, but Quick is rapidly running out of time to show something, Givens needs to recover from his slump last season, we already know what we have in Pettis, and Britt I'll be pleasantly surprised if he emerges at that level.

There's nothing to "get tired" of here, it's just Rams fans with different opinions. As long as we all still WANT the Rams to succeed, I'm not sure what the problem with that is.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree. The Niners Bitch slapped the Rams twice last year. They may not be the better of the top two teams, when the rest of the league is concerned but they manhandled the Rams. Seattle didn't.
Our OLine was definitely manhandled. Hoping we've gotten that fixed.

Wonderboy

Rookie
If that happens, I'll happily admit that I was wrong.

If no #1 emerges and our offense stagnates for being too one dimensional, I won't say anything then because I don't celebrate when the Rams fail.

But the thing of it is, right now we don't know if anyone is going to develop. Austin and Bailey will likely be fine, but Quick is rapidly running out of time to show something, Givens needs to recover from his slump last season, we already know what we have in Pettis, and Britt I'll be pleasantly surprised if he emerges at that level.

There's nothing to "get tired" of here, it's just Rams fans with different opinions. As long as we all still WANT the Rams to succeed, I'm not sure what the problem with that is.

So basically it comes down to confidence. I have confidence that this group has a chance to be very good. You apparently don't. That's not wrong either, they haven't done it yet. I just feel like they have it in them collectively. I also don't buy in to the theory that you have to have have this 90+ catch, 1200+ yard guy. I think if you have two 900+ yard guys and two more 600-700 yard guys you can be just as dangerous because nobody know where the ball is going. Of course I think we're going to be able to run the ball too. That doesn't hurt.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
So basically it comes down to confidence. I have confidence that this group has a chance to be very good. You apparently don't. That's not wrong either, they haven't done it yet. I just feel like they have it in them collectively. I also don't buy in to the theory that you have to have have this 90+ catch, 1200+ yard guy. I think if you have two 900+ yard guys and two more 600-700 yard guys you can be just as dangerous because nobody know where the ball is going. Of course I think we're going to be able to run the ball too. That doesn't hurt.
Yeah, it all comes down to opinions, and we all have our opinions over which way of building helps the team more. In the end, only one set of opinions matters and it doesn't belong to any poster here (unless of course you count Demoff as a poster here. ;) )

I think everyone here though, whether they had their opinion and they're griping about the Rams going a different path while it's still offseason, or if they're happy as a metaphor I can't think of right now is going to be hoping for the best come Week 1.