Rams Add WR and TE per Jim Thomas.. My Take

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm ok with this. Obviously, both are stop-gap fixes for this year and we have to have some of those. Now where is that OLB and OT? Why did we let Eric Winston get away? I'm curious about that one! :idk?:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ramhusker said:
I'm ok with this. Obviously, both are stop-gap fixes for this year and we have to have some of those. Now where is that OLB and OT? Why did we let Eric Winston get away? I'm curious about that one! :idk?:
I was hoping they'd pass on Winston. It does make you think that they may draft a OT now though.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I truly feel Smith can be a great add. A year-plus removed from his knee injury and he could be back to 100% and experience a return to form. Besides, outside of that one injury he has a clean bill of health.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Anyone know the status, and potential future, for WR Mark Clayton?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
interference said:
Anyone know the status, and potential future, for WR Mark Clayton?
I haven't heard one word.

Smith could be a good addition...didn't he play a lot in the slot?

What I really hope is that this is a very good in-line blocking tight end.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Warner4Prez said:
I truly feel Smith can be a great add. A year-plus removed from his knee injury and he could be back to 100% and experience a return to form. Besides, outside of that one injury he has a clean bill of health.

Exactly. Low risk potentially high reward signing. Worst case he's JAG with the best hands, outside of Danny, on the team. Best case he becomes the player he was in NY before his knee injury.

Only thing Im not stoked about is Smith has been primarily a slot WR to my understanding. He has played a variety of positions tho

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
Warner4Prez said:

Exactly. Low risk potentially high reward signing. Worst case he's JAG with the best hands, outside of Danny, on the team. Best case he becomes the player he was in NY before his knee injury.

Only thing Im not stoked about is Smith has been primarily a slot WR to my understanding. He has played a variety of positions tho
I know he was very good at working the middle of the field.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Assuming they both make the roster, Smith will replace Gibson, and Mulligan will replace Bajema.

Blackmon, Amendola, Salas, Smith, DX Missile. + one more.

Doesn't sound bad @ all, especially if Kendricks comes along, which I think he will.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
Assuming they both make the roster, Smith will replace Gibson, and Mulligan will replace Bajema.

Doesn't sound bad @ all, especially if Kendricks comes along, which I think he will.
Is it just me or didn't we already have a Mulligan at TE last year.... :sly:

p.s. I could live with that WR corp.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Nice signing of Smith. He's will be only 27 this year and if he is over his microfracture surgery he can be a asset. If not since it's a one year deal they can get away from it in camp.
They must really want to take the Mulligan since he got a two year deal. Lets hope the new Bajema is better than the old Bajema.

Not sure on Clayton, I'm sure he will go to camp with some team. Maybe Bradford will speak up for him since I don't think he has any real ties to this staff.

Lesson

Oh, really?
The Smith signing excites me. Hopefully he's healthy. Dunno much about Mulligan but I guess he is an improvement over Bajema.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:

Pettis? Assuming they keep him with the suspension. Or do you count Curry?

The Smith signing does make me wonder because he's mostly a slot guy.... And with Amendola not signed yet... Speaking of which, what is taking so long with that?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

The Smith signing does make me wonder because he's mostly a slot guy.... And with Amendola not signed yet... Speaking of which, what is taking so long with that?

I'm with you, get Amendola signed, this kid has the intangibles we need.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
ramsince62 said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

I'm with you, get Amendola signed, this kid has the intangibles we need.

The Smith signing may be the Rams hedging their bet with Amendola. They may be gambling with Amendola because he too is coming off an injury and they probably don't want to over pay if he doesn't come back his old self. And they may not mind getting another 2nd round pick if he is singed away by another team. It's a low risk, safe bet.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Only concern I have with Mulligan is the penalties which I'm reading about. Other than that it seems like he plays with some passion, and can really run block. A big added benefit of knowing the system as well.

Regardless it's better than Billy. I think we all can agree on that one.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
lul :sly:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIdgaytrbmo[/youtube]

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ramhusker said:

We dont even know if Winston would have been a fit here. He played in a zone-blocking scheme at Houston and the Chiefs are planning on doing that this upcoming season:

But I needed to know where I'd fit in the offense. When I spoke with the coaches I was pleasantly surprised. The head coach, Romeo Crennel, has a great reputation around the league. Knowing that a new offense was being installed had me wondering what kind of offense would be coming in. The offensive coordinator, Brian Daboll, has traditionally run more of a "power or gap" blocking scheme and the line coach, Jack Bicknell Jr., who just came over from the Giants, has done the same. Now, I feel like I could be successful in any scheme, but I really have grown to love running the zone scheme and understand it well. So going in I wasn't expecting to hear that the Chiefs would run a zone-blocking scheme, but that's exactly what I heard. That was like icing on the cake to what had been an already positive visit. I spent one more night in Kansas City and we worked out a contract to make me a Chief for the next four years.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/ ... 79bc039e88

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

Most of the time, a delay in RFA signings is about what the player wants, that is, finding out how much he's worth around the league. Keep in mind, Amendola will be UFA next year; he may just be fishing for next year.

When the RFA signing period ends (when is that, btw?), so does his leverage. He'll probably sign rather quickly at that point.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:

Is it just me or didn't we already have a Mulligan at TE last year.... :sly:

p.s. I could live with that WR corp.

5fa02f7f-a16a-49a8-bf3b-023566e94ed3.jpg