Rams activate OG Brewer & CB Deayon & start Evans @ RT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams to start rookie Bobby Evans at RT vs. Khalil Mack, Bears
Cameron DaSilva November 14, 2019 8:41 am ET

1573841691503.png

Rob Havenstein’s knee injury could not have come at a worse time for the Los Angeles Rams, and it’s going to be very easy to see why on Sunday night. With Havenstein out at a couple weeks, the Rams will be forced to replace him with an unproven player at right tackle.

That player will apparently be rookie Bobby Evans, who told Vincent Bonsignore of The Athletic that he’ll be the starter on Sunday against the Chicago Bears.

Bobby Evans told me he’ll be at right tackle for the #Rams on Sunday.
— Vincent Bonsignore (@VinnyBonsignore) November 13, 2019

The Bears have one of the best defensive players in the NFL with Khalil Mack, and it just so happens that Mack typically lines up across from the right tackle. With Evans making his first career start, you can bet Bears defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano will be putting him across from Evans as much as possible.

That’s not exactly a recipe for success for the Rams. In fact, it’s the complete opposite. This has a chance to be a disaster for the Rams and Jared Goff. Mack is one of the best edge rushers in the league and makes even the best offensive tackles look foolish on a weekly basis.

It’s scary to think what he’s going to do against a rookie like Evans, who has played just three snaps in his NFL career. It doesn’t help that Evans looked terrible in the preseason lining up at everywhere from guard to tackle – and that was against second- and third-stringers.

The Rams could have opted to go with David Edwards at right tackle and plug Evans in at right guard. Or put Coleman Shelton at center and Austin Blythe back at right guard. None of the solutions to replacing Havenstein are good ones, but Edwards was exclusively a right tackle in college and has looked good in three starts this season at guard.

It’s understandable that the Rams would prefer not to move him from guard, but he’s a more experienced player and likely a better fit at right tackle than Evans is. Again, there’s no easy way to replace someone like Havenstein, but Evans could be in for a long night on Sunday.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Kromer must-see something in Evans. I've heard reports (insider source) Bobby Evans has improved on his technique and the classroom. We'll see.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The state of the Los Angeles Rams’ offensive line
Have a look at what’s happening across the ever-changing OL.
By Sosa Kremenjas
1573848021949.png

In what seems to be ever-changing, the Los Angeles Rams’ offensive line continues to shift and change by the passing of every week. With two starters lost to injured reserve in LG Joseph Noteboom and C Brian Allen, the Rams have done a ton of shuffling along the offensive line.

This was the starting offensive line in Week 1 of 2019:
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Joseph Noteboom
C: Brian Allen
RG: Austin Blythe
RT: Rob Havenstein

This is the starting offensive line in Week 11:
LT - Andrew Whitworth (204 starts)
LG - Austin Corbett (1 starts)
C - Austin Blythe (26 starts)
RG - David Edwards (3 starts)
RT - Bobby Evans (0 starts)

Here’s the combinations of OL play. As you can see, there’s been a ton of moving around for some guys and hardly any consistency:
LT:Andrew Whitworth
LG:Joe Noteboom
Jamil Demby
David Edwards
Austin Blythe
Austin Corbett
C:
Brian Allen
Austin Blythe
RG:
Austin Blythe
David Edwards
Coleman Shelton
RT:
Rob Havenstein
David Edwards
Bobby Evans (this week)

As you can see, there has been a head-scratching amount of moves being made on the OL. Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator Aaron Kromer has his work cut out for him, and it’s only going to get tougher moving forward as you can see the inexperience of the current starting line.

QB Jared Goff and the remainder of the offense have had trouble producing, and the issues all start upfront. In 2017 and 2018, the Rams were the only team in the NFL that were able to start all five of the same offensive lineman the entire year.
Their luck has run out in 2019, and it’s quite evident they weren’t adequately prepared for this scenario. The main issue is the starting offensive line wasn’t even good as Noteboom, Allen, Blythe, and even Havenstein were liabilities. The latter two names regressed after putting together impressive 2018 campaigns, meanwhile the former two second-year first-time starters proved to be in over their heads.

The offense — like all — relies on the stability and performance of the offensive line. Unfortunately for the Rams, the unit which was once a source of health and elite play has turned into a major liability and one ravaged with never-ending injuries.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope Evans is ready. And McVay needs to have a plan to protect Goff. Because this could get very ugly.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I really hope they chip Mack with Higbee and a running back on every passing play. Otherwise, Evans is going to get beat like a rented mule, and Goff will pay the price.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Here we are concerned for Goff's physical well-being while people whine about why he's not playing lights-out.

Yeah, well I have taken note of some of his shortcomings this year too, but I think they are fixable with a little work, especially holding the ball so low and the long release. Plus he's getting paid, so he's better healthy than injured.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah, well I have taken note of some of his shortcomings this year too, but I think they are fixable with a little work, especially holding the ball so low and the long release. Plus he's getting paid, so he's better healthy than injured.
I am not as positive about being able to fix some of those serious shortcoming of Goff.

However, If Snead can get the distracted McVay & Kromer attention & have both getting back to business & reframe from grinning from their 2 past season successes with their inflated big heads ..........If Snead can do this (doubtful)...then mandating orders with #1 goal to bring the Rams OL back from the bottom of junk/trash into a smooth effective 5 player working OL, then those large Goff warts can be covered up to the point where you can't see them so easy.

Rams are going to lose their OL unit leader after these last seven games have been played. This will be a very big blow to this OL unit. I do not see another OL'er on this unit anywhere close to Whitworths caliber. The only veteran OL'er is Rob Havenstein & he has rated out as one of the worse RT's in pass blocking this season. Big Rob is not worthy of any considerations to fill Whitworths shoes with this seasons performance.

Fact is if Havenstein does not get himself quickly turned around in pass blocking performances he is sure trade bait IF that were even possible.

Back in October this was the Rams starting offensive line pass-blocking ratings per @PFF:

LT Andrew Whitworth 32nd/75 OTs
LG Jamil Demby 76th/77 OGs
C Brian Allen 31st/33 Cs
RG Austin Blythe 72nd/77 OGs
RT Rob Havenstein 74th/75 OTs

I am sure the ratings have gone further into the sewer. So it's hard to be too critical of Goff overall with this mess in front of him.