Rams activate OG Brewer & CB Deayon & start Evans @ RT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
NateTrewynWisconsin-Whitewater60353135.38rSR

In 2018, Trewyn was named First Team All-American[3] and won the Rimington Award for the top center in Division III.

Last edited:

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I thought Brewer looked okay in the preseason, wouldnt mind them putting him at RT to see how he looks next to Edwards, cant be much worse than it is now (Lots on this board understating how TERRIBLE Havenstein has played this year in pass pro).

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1573674182321.png

70 NATE TREWYN
1573674286326.png

2018: Signed a contract as an undrafted free agent with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League following the NFL Draft in April … winner of the Rimington Award as the top center in NCAA Division III … Associated Press first team All-American … D3football.com first team All-American … American Football Coaches Association second team All-American … D3football.com first team All-West Region … first team All-Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference … UW-Whitewater Chancellor’s Scholar-Athlete … National Football Foundation/College Football Hall of Fame Hampshire Honor Society … NFF/College Football Hall of Fame William V. Campbell Trophy® semifinalist … team captain … winner of the team’s Glen Wills Offensive Lineman Award … D3football.com National Team of the Week (Oct. 26-27) … WIAC Scholastic Honor Roll ... appeared in 14 games … posted one tackle during the season … helped the Warhawks lead the WIAC in scoring offense (39.2 ppg), rushing offense (240.5 ypg) and total offense (435.8 ypg), and rank among the top 25 in the nation in scoring offense, first downs (260) and passing yards per completion (15.12)

2017: Street & Smith first team Preseason All-American … D3football.com second team Preseason All-American … Lindy’s Sports second team Preseason All-American … honorable mention All-Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference … WIAC Scholastic Honor Roll ... appeared in nine games … helped the Warhawks average 23 points and 382 yards of total offense per game

2016: D3football.com first team All-West Region … first team All-WIAC … WIAC Scholastic Honor Roll ... co-winner of the team’s Newcomer of the Year award … appeared in 12 games … helped the UW-Whitewater offense average 34.8 points per game, 198.9 rushing yards per game and 212.8 passing yards per game … helped the Warhawks rank 18th in the nation in first downs (275) … recorded one tackle in UW-Whitewater’s 59-13 victory over Belhaven (Miss.) on Sept. 10 at Perkins Stadium

2015: Started all 12 games on the offensive line at Division II Minnesota State University Mankato

2014: Redshirted at Minnesota State University Mankato

Personal: Majoring in general management … competed in football at Milton High School

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Love those big Wisconsin offensive linemen, that school does know how to produce them. Hope he works out.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Deayon was the best CB in preseason of turning his head around and Chandler Brewer looked better then most in preseason too. As to Nate Trewyn he has decent size for a Center and did 26 Reps of 225lbs which is not bad, so he seems stronger than Shelton at this point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
About bloody time.
It took a serious event in the Rams OL this past week for Kromer to get around to bringing in our suggested fix to his broke RG post Now we will see my banging of the pots & pans for this UDFA OG/OT is nothing but a bunch of noise or if I gained a small clue from my pre season observations on Chandler Brewer.

I'm guessing the RT post is the most immediate area of concern even with the season ending loss of our starting center. I am sure that Kromer wants Edwards starting back @ RG. He has veteran starter center Austin Blythe plus 2nd yr center Coleman Shelton healthy, so center is not the big issue.

I am thinking that Kromer like the starting OG duo of rookie OG David Edwards & 2nd yr OG Austin Corbett to continue to start @ both OG posts. Edwards @ RG & Corbett @ LG.

The question, as I see it Kromer must find out if second day 2019 draft pick, our top OL selection Bobby Evans is ready to start @ RT or if Chandler Brewer is ready to step up with his excellent size over 6-6 & 325 lbs to fill in for Havenstein.

LT- Whitworth\ Brewer
LG- Corbett\ Shelton
OC- Blythe\ Shelton
RG- Edwards\ Brewer
RT- Evans\ Brewer

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The question, as I see it Kromer must find out if second day 2019 draft pick, our top OL selection Bobby Evans is ready to start @ RT or if Chandler Brewer is ready to step up with his excellent size over 6-6 & 325 lbs to fill in for Havenstein.

LT- Whitworth\ Brewer
LG- Corbett\ Shelton
OC- Blythe\ Shelton
RG- Edwards\ Brewer
RT- Evans\ Brewer

Middle Tennessee State offensive lineman Chandler Brewer signed onto the Rams training camp roster and is looking to make an impact on his quest to make the 53-man roster. He’s next in our roster preview series.

College Career
Brewer’s freshman year he was named to the All-Conference USA Freshman Team after playing in all 13 games while making 11 starts. In that first season, Brewer displayed his versatility early with four recorded starts at tackle and seven at guard. Brewer played the third-most snaps (875) of all linemen which included a game in which he played 92.

During his first year, it was no coincidence the Blue Raiders set single-season records in total offense, scoring and passing yards. It was the first time in program history that there was a 4,000-yard passer and two 1,000-yard receivers in the same season.

In his sophomore year, Brewer started all 13 games as he led an offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the conference, despite throwing the ball the most. Following the season, Brewer was named as an honorable mention All-Conference USA.

As hits junior year came, Brewer had officially won over the team and his coaching staff en route to becoming a permanent team captain. Brewer finished once again earned Honorable Mention All-Conference USA, starting 12 games at right guard. The offensive lineman proved to be a model of consistency that showed more and more upside.

Brewer started all 14 games his senior year while giving up two sacks in over 450 pass attempts. Following the season, Brewer was named first-team All Conference-USA for the first time. .

The Blue Raider’s path to the NFL wasn’t just making it through college with one missed game. Brewer now had to find a way to train for the NFL while monitoring and ultimately controlling his body pre-draft as he was battling and played with non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma the whole year.

Roster Battle
Brewer is listed as an offensive guard but can play at offensive tackle as well. The battle for Brewer doesn’t matter about positions specifically. It’s all about the number of players the teams decides to keep on the offensive line. The starting five are probably a lock with Bobby Evans and David Edwards. That leaves one, maybe two spots available.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
RT- Evans\ Brewer

Let's be honest here, Evans has been a disappointment so far being drafted in the 3rd round, that seemed from good stock at Oklahoma and played Right & Left Tackle for two Heisman Trophy QB's too. Now even his position coach Aaron Kromer has stated that Evans, has been working on the transition and that is not a glowing endorsement.

UDFA Chandler Brewer on the other hand, got tossed into the fire during preseason at RT and actually graded out well, albeit against the second & third team. So I believe they will start Evans and I'm rooting my Arse for him as we need the Oklahoma alum to produce sooner rather than later.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It took a serious event in the Rams OL this past week for Kromer to get around to bringing in my suggested fix to his broke OL. Now we will see my banging of the pots & pans for this UDFA OG/OT is nothing but a bunch of noise or if I gained a small clue from my pre season observations on Chandler Brewer.

I'm guessing the RT post is the most immediate area of concern even with the season ending loss of our starting center. I am sure that Kromer wants Edwards starting back @ RG. He has veteran starter center Austin Blythe plus 2nd yr center Coleman Shelton healthy, so center is not the big issue.

I am thinking that Kromer like the starting OG duo of rookie OG David Edwards & 2nd yr OG Austin Corbett to continue to start @ both OG posts. Edwards @ RG & Corbett @ LG.

LT- Whitworth\ Brewer
LG- Corbett\ Shelton
OC- Blythe\ Shelton
RG- Edwards\ Brewer
RT- Evans\ Brewer

Your suggested fix lol. OK, if you say so, but there were a couple of us all over that from a very early date, hopefully it doesn't backfire. I'd still prefer Edwards back at LG where he was such an improvement over the struggling Noteboom, and i'm unconvinced that Corbett beat him out of the job, although this is likely his best position. Blythe/Shelton is obvious at Center. I'd rather start Brewer at RG with Evans at RT and see how it plays out before any more adjustments and musical chairs with players at multiple positions trying to find a home. jmo.

I'm still hoping for :

LT - Whitworth
LG - Edwards
C - Blythe
RG - Brewer
RT - Evans

Corbett first man up at OG
Shelton first man up at Center

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1573676958281.png

Evans had a tough task in 2018, taking over for All-American Orlando Brown at left tackle. He excelled in that role, earnings second-team All-Big 12 honors after starting all 14 games for the playoff participants. He had started across from Brown at right tackle in all 14 games as a sophomore, garnering honorable mention All-Big 12 notice. He was also an honorable mention all-conference pick his redshirt freshman campaign, starting the team's final 12 games at right tackle. Evans was a four-star recruit at Allen (Texas) High School, ranking among the top 100 overall prospects and top 10 offensive linemen. His father, Bobby Joe, was the Texas Gatorade Player of the Year in basketball, then played at Oklahoma. His brother, Tay, played linebacker for the Sooners in 2015 and 2016 before injuries ended his career.

Analysis

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 4
NFL Comparison
Daryl Williams
Overview
Three-year starter with tackle experience on both sides who plays with excellent core strength, good hand placement and a noticeable nasty streak. Evans is below average as an athlete but makes up for it with upper-body power and solid technique. Despite being under 6-foot-5, his arm length (34 3/4 inches) might convince a team to try him at right tackle before any moves inside. He might be scheme-dependent, but strength and toughness give him a shot at becoming a good backup with eventual starter potential.
Strengths
  • Built with a stout frame and nearly 35-inch arms
  • Started at both right and left tackle and might offer swing value
  • Relatively unfazed by bull-rush attempts
  • Sticks a strong punch into the chest of incoming rushers
  • Grip strength for solid secure and mirror
  • Impressive core strength
  • Shows ability to match power for power in upper half
  • Adequate agility for short pulls
  • Well-schooled with feel for landmarks and technique
  • Good timing and radar up to second-level targets on gap runs
  • Play demeanor best described as aggressive and chippy
Weaknesses
  • Shorter than average at the tackle spot
  • Hip tightness restricts depth of kick slides
  • Below-average quickness in race versus edge rushers
  • Shows a tendency to lunge when beaten
  • Lacks proper hip bend to drop pad level and win with leverage
  • Could struggle in generating drive movement if moved inside to guard
  • Stiff-kneed upper-body mauler on down blocks
  • Narrow drive base causes him to fall off-center from the block
  • Faces range limitations as move blocker
  • Plodding with heavy feet out in space
Sources Tell Us

"The tape (in 2018) was a little bit disappointing compared to (2017) when he was at right tackle. I would play him at right tackle before ever thinking of moving him inside. He has some limitations and you have to help him some, but he can be a player on the right side." Area scout for AFC team

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Your suggested fix lol. OK, if you say so, but there were a couple of us all over that from a very early date, hopefully it doesn't backfire. I'd still prefer Edwards back at LG where he was such an improvement over the struggling Noteboom, and i'm unconvinced that Corbett beat him out of the job, although this is likely his best position. Blythe/Shelton is obvious at Center. I'd rather start Brewer at RG with Evans at RT and see how it plays out before any more adjustments and musical chairs with players at multiple positions trying to find a home. jmo.

I'm still hoping for :

LT - Whitworth
LG - Edwards
C - Blythe
RG - Brewer
RT - Evans

Corbett first man up at OG
Shelton first man up at Center
Yes, you & a few others were singing early off the same sheet of OL music this season.;)

Posted for some time that RG post looked like the best post for Brewer in this Kromer OL. I have no problems with what you proposed wk#11 OL line up. I see Edwards as the best victim for Mack this Sunday. Having Evans first start in the NFL going up against Mack is something nobody should want.

If Brewer is ready to start I would insert him @ RG with David Edwards starting @ RT with Evans being the swing OT reserve & Shelton as the swing OG & reserve OC.

oldnotdead

Legend
Brewer is not a OT he's strictly a OG at this level. He's the kind of OG you would expect to play on the right side. That's where I think he should start. That would give them Brewer at RG and Corbett at LG. I hope they quit playing that scrub Blythe and play Shelton at center. Brewer would allow them to move Edwards or Evans to RT.

Looking at the roster a few days ago I knew that Brewer and Deayon would probably be in the mix for moving to the active roster.

I hope we see more of Long from now on. Hill continues to disappoint. His technique on the TD he allowed was godawful. He's not a rookie but he continues to play like one. Had he used proper technique he could have defended that pass.

Enough of saving players for next year. Trying to rely upon guys like Hill, Blythe and Havenstein makes no sense when their play continues to be sub-par.

LT Whitworth
LG Corbett
C Shelton
RG Brewer
RT Evans

Swings OT Edwards, OG/C Blythe

IMO that's their best o-line right now. Keeping Blythe as a starter simply because he's got experience makes no sense. Experience hasn't helped him play better.....he still sucks.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I see Edwards as the best victim for Mack this Sunday. Having Evans first start in the NFL going up against Mack is something nobody should want.

Whoever it is, hopefully McVay has a TE ready and willing to chip block.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was fearing they'd go get Schraeder. Glad they went another direction and it's nice to see Brewer up now so he can get a shot. (y)

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Love to see some two TE, I formation sets.

Let's see the Bear D handle some powerhouse time.

I bet they haven't game planned for that.

If it dosen't work we can always revert back to what they're expecting.