Ram Attack - Jenkins a Liability?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Started this web series to try and get people to come over from youtube and facebook and join our oasis of Rams Nation. So keep the conversation lively!! Topic of the day is whether or not Janoris Jenkis constantly looking in the back field and playing overly aggressive will become a liability at some point.

Enjoy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kut2WzURz9c[/youtube]

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
NICE job CK! I like that you picked a single point to debate.

I love the topic!

A couple of thoughts;

1) Jenkins is still a young player and by default will make some mistakes like this

2) Is it possible to be a play maker and NOT take risks? I think it's a double edge sword and it can cut both ways with a player like JJ.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LOL! Did you steal my Peter "Derp" Carroll picture? Ya bastage! :lol:

That's freaking excellent, man. Adds another dimension to the board, and I'm stoked that you've decided to make this a weekly thing. Per your question, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it's his aggressiveness that makes him dangerous. He got toasted a few times *because* of that, but I don't think he's going to stop doing it. He might become more intelligent about it as he matures in the system, but I fully expect him to continue to play the odds. And I think Fisher targeted him in the draft because of the cause and effect of his D-line forcing quarterbacks to hurry their throws - thus making Jenkins that much more dangerous with his athleticism and ball-hawking instincts.

Best player on the team? That's debatable, so I'll let people debate it.
I personally think Chris Long is the best player on the team right now, but that could change.

Excellent job!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
The last "playmaker" we had was Atogwe and I was less than thrilled by his performance on the field. You just can't count on creating turnovers every game. Consistency is what I treasure. How's he doing now?

I was and am very troubled by the observation made by some that Jenkins got beat on a play because he was fooling around with his wristband or something at belt level instead of getting ready for the next play. That single selfish act by him screams Diva to me. Frankly, I'm past the point of wanting to find a replacement. As it stands, I wouldn't be against trading him for a first round pick. Or even a second round pick.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I commented on the FB page.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
The last "playmaker" we had was Atogwe and I was less than thrilled by his performance on the field. You just can't count on creating turnovers every game. Consistency is what I treasure. How's he doing now?

I was and am very troubled by the observation made by some that Jenkins got beat on a play because he was fooling around with his wristband or something at belt level instead of getting ready for the next play. That single selfish act by him screams Diva to me. Frankly, I'm past the point of wanting to find a replacement. As it stands, I wouldn't be against trading him for a first round pick. Or even a second round pick.

:shock:

jjab360

Legend
X said:
Best player on the team? That's debatable, so I'll let people debate it.
I personally think Chris Long is the best player on the team right now, but that could change.
Call me crazy but I think the other Long could be primed to take that title based on what I've seen so far in preseason. Or maybe Jared Cook, but that would be predicting a breakout whereas with Jake, he would just be returning to form.

In a few seasons, though, I think TA is gonna run away with that honor as well as being considered one of the best players in the league. :shock:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
albefree69 said:

:lol:

Captain Contrarian strikes again. lol. I don't even know where to begin with that one, but I'm not gonna get personal about it either. Let me just say I find it WAY premature to want to ditch one of our defense's top playmakers after his rookie campaign (and after scoring 24 points). And I don't know if he's a diva either. I do know he went the extra mile to get pink socks for the Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign because (and I quote), "It's something I feel strongly about, so I wanted to deck out." Let's go ahead and let him play another full season before we think about trading him away, eh? That would be nice.

jjab360

Legend
albefree69 said:

Wait… was that sarcasm? Because that stuff always goes right over my head.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
albefree69 said:

Captain Contrarian strikes again. lol. I don't even know where to begin with that one, but I'm not gonna get personal about it either. Let me just say I find it WAY premature to want to ditch one of our defense's top playmakers after his rookie campaign (and after scoring 24 points). And I don't know if he's a diva either. I do know he went the extra mile to get pink socks for the Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign because (and I quote), "It's something I feel strongly about, so I wanted to deck out." Let's go ahead and let him play another full season before we think about trading him away, eh? That would be nice.
Let me say this, and i don't excuse him for it, but he wasn't the only player "not ready" on that play and a few others. Manning is a crafty SOB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
albefree69 said:

Let me say this, and i don't excuse him for it, but he wasn't the only player "not ready" on that play and a few others. Manning is a crafty SOB.
Yeah, after 16 (17?) years, you'd think Manning would see the entire field, all the players, the hot dog vendor, and everything else happening in the stadium and take advantage of any weakness or momentary lapse of "readiness" that's taking place. Also, "shit happens." Jenkins' good by far outweighs any bad he's exhibited thus far in his 'career.'

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
albefree69 said:

:hahaha:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X seeing something different than me:
And I think Fisher targeted him in the draft because of the cause and effect of his D-line forcing quarterbacks to hurry their throws - thus making Jenkins that much more dangerous with his athleticism and ball-hawking instincts.

He was picked on more than any other DB according to RamBill. I don't think they do that because they're afraid of him or because they want a challenge. :lol:

No sarcasm in my posts about this subject. It's a view that I know isn't shared by many or maybe no one except myself. I'm also not being a Devils Advocate here.

Look at how his performance is rated by PFF. Pff only confirmed what I saw with my own eyes. I realize that he was a rookie last year and I'm also cognizant of the fact that he got some turnovers that he took to the house last year but I see no change in his game this year. I see someone who is all about himself on the playing field. He is hugely skilled but not a team player IMO.

Let's see how this conversation goes. I'm out on the first personalization.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
albefree69 said:

Yeah, after 16 (17?) years, you'd think Manning would see the entire field, all the players, the hot dog vendor, and everything else happening in the stadium and take advantage of any weakness or momentary lapse of "readiness" that's taking place. Also, "shyte happens." Jenkins' good by far outweighs any bad he's exhibited thus far in his 'career.'

Manning killed the D on that play...heck the wrist band hand nothin to do with being a diva...JL had called an audible or play and Jenks was checking his list....he wasn't the only one with his eyes on his wrist.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
X seeing something different than me:
And I think Fisher targeted him in the draft because of the cause and effect of his D-line forcing quarterbacks to hurry their throws - thus making Jenkins that much more dangerous with his athleticism and ball-hawking instincts.

He was picked on more than any other DB according to RamBill. I don't think they do that because they're afraid of him or because they want a challenge. :lol:

No sarcasm in my posts about this subject. It's a view that I know isn't shared by many or maybe no one except myself. I'm also not being a Devils Advocate here.

Look at how his performance is rated by PFF. Pff only confirmed what I saw with my own eyes. I realize that he was a rookie last year and I'm also cognizant of the fact that he got some turnovers that he took to the house last year but I see no change in his game this year. I see someone who is all about himself on the playing field. He is hugely skilled but not a team player IMO.

Let's see how this conversation goes. I'm out on the first personalization.
You are not alone in your thoughts of him being a liability at times, and he needs to improve in that area. The coaching staff addressed it last year, they will continue to address it. Giving up underneath stuff this preseason...every corner and safety have done that. It's part of Fisher's master plan to make our secondary look like crap, lol.

F. Mulder

Starter
My .02 is that it's great that both Jenkins and Finnegan got picked on (IN PRESEASON). Both have pride and skills and are smart players; if they don't pick up even a little then shame on them. I love having guys like Rodgers, Manning. et al show this D what a top-line QB is capable of. Sure beats beating up career backups or low-level starters and thinking you are the bomb.