Quick look at our LB corps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Edge
Fowler (Average)
Ebukam (Subpar)
Lawler (Subpar)
Young (Subpar)

Off Ball
Littleton (Above Average)
Kiser (Subpar/Unproven)

Edge & Off Ball
Matthews (Above Average)
Okowrongkwo (Subpar/Unproven)

Some notes...

First, obviously Matthews was a big signing for two positions from a security standpoint. So if the Rams get great play from Kiser on the interior, or get lucky in the draft with a guy like Bush sitting there at 31 or some other option later on who comes in and plays lights out, they can play him with the edge group. Or of course from the other side, if an edge they love falls to them things might go the other way.

Second some might ask why I have Oko as "edge & off-ball" and it's because he showed ability to do a bit of both in college. And because he's probably not going to dictate edge snaps right out the gate unless he has one hell of a camp (which I would not rule out). He was actually my favorite pick in last year's draft, not that that means anything in reality or whatever, but my own expectations of him are pretty high as I think he's a very good all around backer and look forward to what this staff can do with him.

It's obvious we will see some serious roster squeezing/competition going on this year in camp, particularly on the edge. Matthews' signing puts enormous pressure on Ebukam and Okowrongkwo and hurts the guys on the bottom. And his ability to fill on the interior off ball is going to put some pressure Kiser.

Looking at it, it does seem like ILB is our biggest weakness. Good as Matthews is off ball, he's not a guy they're going to want hammering holes in the run game too much, so I have to think they're turning over every rock with the ILB possibilities in the draft. I expect a pick and probably a couple fresh new UDFA types where they hope they find a gem. And that's if Bush ain't there at 31.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I still see LB as a draft target, particularly for depth. We are an injury away from some unproven players.

Still feels light to me.

EDIT: I could say the same for CB and DL, too.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
We know what we have in Fowler, Littleton,Ebukam and Matthews, but after that, it’s unknown. Even Ebukam and Littleton are young players and can step up their game considerably from what we have seen so far. Unfair IMO to judge players who haven’t gotten playing time as subpar. Why don’t know what we have in them yet.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
We know what we have in Fowler, Littleton,Ebukam and Matthews, but after that, it’s unknown. Even Ebukam and Littleton are young players and can step up their game considerably from what we have seen so far. Unfair IMO to judge players who haven’t gotten playing time as subpar. Why don’t know what we have in them yet.
I agree. It’s hard to look at something that you can’t see, and we haven’t seen Lawler, Kiser, Young, or Okoronkwo yet, so we we have nothing to judge them by. But I personally have high hopes for Kiser and Okoronkwo.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they have a bigger ILB (whether that's Matthews or a draft pick) then I have high hopes for Littleton moving over and taking Barron's spot. Littleton was solid last year, but the Rams need a little more muscle in the middle, instead of having two relatively small ILBs like Barron and Littleton. One is fine - two not so much. I suspect they try to get another guy for the middle, have Matthews play some there and some on the outside, including blitzing at times from the middle.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I too think LB ILB and OLB is the Rams weakest area. Assuming. I do not see any difference makers left at #31. Both ILBs will be gone and we will be down to the 6th or 7th OLB at that point. But there will be a really good player whether Bradbury, a couple good DTs a solid corner maybe one of the 2 TEs. We will be fine the team is down a DT and maybe an ILB, but we upgraded at FS, bu QB, extra depth at ILB/OLB we are keeping Brown so in total we are better especially if Weddle plays good because I hated Joyner last year his play was atrocious.

The draft will net us a starter and some more depth for the future.

Make no mistake this is an important draft.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I still see LB as a draft target, particularly for depth. We are an injury away from some unproven players.

Still feels light to me.

EDIT: I could say the same for CB and DL, too.

I think Snead carpet bombs the secondary position with 2 CB's and a S.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Edge
Fowler (Average)
Ebukam (Subpar)
Lawler (Subpar)
Young (Subpar)

Off Ball
Kiser (Subpar/Unproven)

Edge & Off Ball
Matthews (Above Average)

Where is Fox & Howard ?

I find it a little unfair to combine an unproven player with a known sub-par player, but you are certainly allowed to characterize these players in any fashion you choose. Other than the unknowns, I find them all fairly average based on last years statistics, and with 9 of them we also have the bodies. OLB especially seems to cry out for an impact or 'explosive' player, but for 2019 we now have a lot of dollars tied up with our LB corps. An explosive Edge LOLB with Matthews inside may bring the pass rushing impact McVay desires, but where does that leave us on the Defensive Line with what is one of our real true roster holes following the departure of Suh ? With only one pick in the first two rounds, impact players may not be readily available as NFL starters, not to say it's impossible, but the laws of probability decrease.

There are a lot of questions to be answered, like where will Brockers receive the majority of his snaps, or how ready and prepared are Noteboom & Allen to take over starting roles on the OL, or just how bad is Gurley's reported arthritis going to be regarding his snaps ? There are plenty more questions, but for a starter, the LOLB (Edge), DL, OL & Gurley situations all measure pretty high on my scale. Snead and McVay have a lot on their plate this coming draft, getting it right will be more important than ever. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where is Fox & Howard ?

I find it a little unfair to combine an unproven player with a known sub-par player, but you are certainly allowed to characterize these players in any fashion you choose.

I don't really see those two as in the mix given the positional squeeze we have coming this camp. But I certainly am wrong often enough. Just opening some positional conversation my man. Cheers. (y)

Ram65

Legend
Edge
Fowler (Average)
Ebukam (Subpar)
Lawler (Subpar)
Young (Subpar)

Off Ball
Kiser (Subpar/Unproven)

Edge & Off Ball
Matthews (Above Average)

You have to give Fowler Above Average rating with an arrow up. He plays all around as a pass rusher,run stopper and in coverage.

Ebukam would be average while Littleton Above Average.

Matthews (Above Average)
but, is he going to just be a pass rusher at this time in his career.

Basically you have four average to above average at three spots if Mathews stays at OBLer. The potential is there for them to get better as they are all still young except Mathews.

Will they step up their game together in year two with help from Mathews?

The EDGE looks stronger this year while the question is the inside with who replaces Barron?

Is it Kiser or a early draft pick?

Will the unknowns become play makers?

In the playoff Suh's improved performance help the the LBer corp against the run. Should the Rams draft a NT like Lawrence that could take pressure off the LBers on the inside. Should Bush be available in round one then he could come in and help on the inside. These are two of my top wants for the Rams. hope they get one of them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that to suggest you have Fox going back to DE and Howard to Safety or elsewhere ?

I like Fox always have. But he isn't gonna make this OLB group. So maybe DE idk. Howard same. Who knows. Likely both get cut this year tbh but we will see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have to give Fowler Above Average rating with an arrow up. He plays all around as a pass rusher,run stopper and in coverage.

Just how I see it 65. Fowler got a 1 year paycheck because his production wasn't there. No way I call him above average because he is our primary blindside rusher.

Ram65

Legend
Just how I see it 65. Fowler got a 1 year paycheck because his production wasn't there. No way I call him above average because he is our primary blindside rusher.

I respect your opinion Merlin and I know I'm not going to change your mind..It's funny because I would have given him an average grade before listening to D'Marco Farr ( The Homer) and others opinions. A few more sacks would have been nice but, he did get pressures this past year. He came in the middle of the year without knowing the system and players around him. He stepped up his game in the playoffs. I think he is well rounded too with speed to cover and ability against the run. I expect, as well as Farr, that a full season of OTAs and Camp will make him more effective in 2019.

I know PFF isn't your cup of tea but, here is an interesting article.

2019 Free Agency Profile: Dante Fowler Jr.
BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM • JAN 22, 2019
USATSI_11650169_168384674_lowres.jpg

Dante Fowler Jr. played seven games for the Jacksonville Jaguars before being traded to the Los Angeles Rams for a 2019 third and 2020 fifth-round pick. The former first-rounder participated in less than 30 snaps each game this season for the Jaguars prior to averaging 53.1 snaps a game for the Rams. Fowler has been a valuable addition for Los Angeles in their playoff run, earning a 69.7 grade through the NFC Conference Championship game as well as a sack in each game.

Pro Football Focus will be running through 50-plus pending/soon-to-be free agents between January 7, 2019 and March 8, 2019 to offer a detailed analysis of the top players bound for new contracts and (possibly) new teams in 2019. We want to house all of the important grades, advanced stats and key analysis for each player, so you know exactly what your team is getting in free agency.

To review all of our free agent profiles in one place, please visit this page.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-22-at-2.57.17-PM-1024x578.png

Fowler earned an above average grade (60.0-plus) for the first time in his four year career this season (68.2). The Florida alumnus saw an 80.0-plus grade just once this season (Week 1, 94.9), but he has complemented Ndamukong Suh and Aaron Donald nicely as a cheap, serviceable edge defender. Fowler has earned 29 quarterback pressures and four sacks in his 12 games played with the Rams, more than double any other Rams edge defender in that span. Although Fowler hasn’t quite lived up to his first-round pick potential, he is a young developing pass-rusher who has averaged seven sacks a season over his three healthy seasons.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I respect your opinion Merlin and I know I'm not going to change your mind..It's funny because I would have given him an average grade before listening to D'Marco Farr ( The Homer) and others opinions. A few more sacks would have been nice but, he did get pressures this past year. He came in the middle of the year without knowing the system and players around him. He stepped up his game in the playoffs. I think he is well rounded too with speed to cover and ability against the run. I expect, as well as Farr, that a full season of OTAs and Camp will make him more effective in 2019.

I know PFF isn't your cup of tea but, here is an interesting article.

2019 Free Agency Profile: Dante Fowler Jr.
BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM • JAN 22, 2019
USATSI_11650169_168384674_lowres.jpg

Dante Fowler Jr. played seven games for the Jacksonville Jaguars before being traded to the Los Angeles Rams for a 2019 third and 2020 fifth-round pick. The former first-rounder participated in less than 30 snaps each game this season for the Jaguars prior to averaging 53.1 snaps a game for the Rams. Fowler has been a valuable addition for Los Angeles in their playoff run, earning a 69.7 grade through the NFC Conference Championship game as well as a sack in each game.

Pro Football Focus will be running through 50-plus pending/soon-to-be free agents between January 7, 2019 and March 8, 2019 to offer a detailed analysis of the top players bound for new contracts and (possibly) new teams in 2019. We want to house all of the important grades, advanced stats and key analysis for each player, so you know exactly what your team is getting in free agency.

To review all of our free agent profiles in one place, please visit this page.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-22-at-2.57.17-PM-1024x578.png

Fowler earned an above average grade (60.0-plus) for the first time in his four year career this season (68.2). The Florida alumnus saw an 80.0-plus grade just once this season (Week 1, 94.9), but he has complemented Ndamukong Suh and Aaron Donald nicely as a cheap, serviceable edge defender. Fowler has earned 29 quarterback pressures and four sacks in his 12 games played with the Rams, more than double any other Rams edge defender in that span. Although Fowler hasn’t quite lived up to his first-round pick potential, he is a young developing pass-rusher who has averaged seven sacks a season over his three healthy seasons.
Historic Brees pressure/hit which got the INT and trip to SB makes him a legend in Rams lore. We are so fortunate to have this young stud. Average or above average, he brings it! Great thread you guys!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fowler has earned 29 quarterback pressures and four sacks in his 12 games played with the Rams, more than double any other Rams edge defender in that span.

Indeed. But if you line up the league blinside rushers where does he fall. Probably in that average range.

What Fowler has is upside. I like the dude and what he did in the playoffs but he has a history of disappearing and there is no reason to crown him yet. Let's hope he lives up to his talent this season in year two under this regime.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The first thing that I see with our LB cadre is ......the overall inexperience of this LB'ing unit. Wade/Barry have so many new parts to try out in so different positions to figure out where they all fit in the overall desired scheme.

Finding the perfect fit for each of them will be a test for coach Barry:cautious:. One can see clearly that the experience of Clay Matthews, (who is the same size as Dante) was what they paid for with all this lack of NFL playing knowledge the Rams have @ Lb'er. IMO DF is a clone of what CM has been in the NFL. CM can be plugged in just about anywhere Wade wants to go.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VCNJTzLF8I

CM can play both ER/OLB posts in this Wade D & the Mike post where Littleton played last season. Having CM here to help teach Wade's three very young & talented 34 D pass rushers like DF, Ebukam & Okoronkwo this season is one great 2019 offseason move.... that I would say is ......:bow:.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPKf7y1F-Q

Here's how I see this LB'er line-up initially in Training Camp:

LOLB- Fowler/ Okoronkwo/ Lawler
LMLB- Kiser/ Matthews
RILB- Littleton/ Howard
ROLB- Ebukam/ Young
Indeed. But if you line up the league blinside rushers where does he fall. Probably in that average range.What Fowler has is upside. I like the dude and what he did in the playoffs but he has a history of disappearing and there is no reason to crown him yet. Let's hope he lives up to his talent this season in year two under this regime.
I would not classify DF Jr as just a blind side rusher Merlin. DF can effectively play four posts in the Wade 34 D or 43 D. What jumps out @ me with DF is he has officially only started seven (7) NFL gms. He has played in 47 gms. So his experience as a starter playing in an NFL 34 D is what you might expect from a 2nd yr defender. Yes his 6 starts in this past 2018 regular season may be described as average but his play in the playoffs was above average. 2nd season (right side) ER/OLB Justin Lawler 6-4 265 pounder has twice as much time in this Wade D than DF. I am thinking the Rams Org. might be kicking themselves for not signing DF for a longer one season contract. I expect big things from DF myself;)
I think Snead carpet bombs the secondary position with 2 CB's and a S.
I see this too. But the carpet bombs might come later than earlier....I believe Snead will hope to find a few late third day outside corner types i .e.....EJ Gaines clones here in a little over a month.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not classify DF Jr as just a blind side rusher Merlin.

Neither would I. He's not good enough. Down the road if he improves he might become a guy you rush vs the best OT as a rule, but until that time he is definitely not.

Rams will go with matchups and the hot hand this year on the edges, and I suspect Matthews is going to play a lot more edge than most here think he will; having an older guy like him hammering on the interior in the run game when you consider the relative inexperience and lack of quality we have outside means he will most likely play a lot of edge by necessity.

Which is why I believe I am being fair to him calling Fowler average. Because he is our most talented rusher, and if you compare the most talented rusher for every team there will be a lot of guys better than him. He's probably somewhere in the middle. Honestly many of you need to simmer down on this one holy crap. :D