Quest for the perfect PIZZA CRUST

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes I have a problem. It's been going on about 3 years maybe longer and I've burned through countless recipes and different approaches in the magical study of pizza crust. Honestly it is something I find endlessly amazing how the slightest difference in prep can result in such a different result.

I tend to favor thin crust by the way. I do like thick crust pizza too, as well as the medium NY style, but my time in Italy and eating those pizzas (which are cooked very quickly like in a couple minutes in their wood ovens) have really put me on a crusade to duplicate the experience.

Anyone else have this strange fascination? I figure someone should, given that I see brick pizza ovens in hardware stores now that are designed to sit outside. Which my wife forbid me to even look at btw.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love most cheese pizzas (except for deep dish), but I can't cook them myself, and I don't tend to have enough money to get more than Domino's or Pizza Hut. Never had the experience of baking one, but my perfect crust? Brooklyn style with cheese. That's one thing I wish Domino's has (the stuffed crust, not the Brooklyn, which is a damn good pizza). Same with me wishing that Pizza Hut had the Philly steak that Domino's has.

Sorry for rambling. It's definitely fascinating how meticulous pizza-making is, especially in Italy.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
When I make my pizza dough, I measure them by weight.

For NY-style pizzas, I use

500g of bread flour (100%)
300g of water (60% hydration, 100F-110F)
20g of salt (4%)
5g of yeast (1%)

I mix the water and yeast for 10 mins and mix the salt, flour together; then add the water with yeast to the mixer*. Then I put the extract the dough on an oiled bowl to cold ferment for at least 36 hours (longer is better up to 5 days); 500g of flour makes 3-4 doughs for me depending on how large I want to make them. I also prep a pizza stone at 500F for 50 mins before getting the pizza on there.

*I use a KitchenAid mixer

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The crust is the most important part of a pizza for me.

There are two places that we prefer to get our pizzas from, and both have real fire brick ovens. I don't believe you can create a perfect crust without one.

Something that my wife and I ALWAYS do when ordering a pizza is we ask for it to be cooked well done. We like the crust to have a little bit of extra well done parts.

I have a Big Green Egg. They sell an attachment that is just for cooking pizzas. It basically turns it into a brick oven. I have the attachment... but I've never used it. If I didn't have 2 quality places near me to choose from for pizzas I probably would have tried to create the perfect crust myself with it. It's just too easy to go pick em up for me to want to put in the time. I do almost all of our cooking and I tend to go overboard... pizza night is like a small vacation for me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good crust changes with the mood. Sometimes it's a deep dish sometimes it's a NY style sometimes in between.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've never been much of a starch fan so I always love a thin crust. Give me a slight chew to it and some crispiness. It's almost all about the toppings for me. The sauce should also be light but VERY flavorful. I don't like sogginess for anything. Probably why I cut the crap out of my mouth when eating Cap'n Crunch. I have to eat it before it gets soggy. And yet it's still probably my favorite cereal.

Crush

CGI’s wife
Name
Laurie
Wood fired is the bomb if you can get it!! Thin crust is a must for me.
Here is an awesome pizza if you like to move away from the traditional.

-thin crust, a skim of basil pesto, top with chunks of mango, red onion, brie, bacon ( or chicken ), pine nuts ( lightly toasted in oven before hand ).

If you try it let me know! :D

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
@Merlin -
As an obvious pizza aficionado (who knew? :)), what was your favorite (thin crust) pizza place(s) when you were in Vegas?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I put my oven on max, usually have two pizza stones in there. One of which is on top, preheating for at minimum of an hour, usually more. With the proper dough mixture it usually gets that good kind of char on the bottom. Not as good as a wood fire, but not bad.

If it’s done right, I’ll usually do a simple pie first, sauce, olive oil, fresh mozzarella (not shredded), and basil. Afterwards I’ll usually do a small with shredded mozzarella and other toppings.

I will 100% be investing in a wood burning pizza oven for my place when I retire though. Wherever I end up settling down, that’ll be top of the list.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
When I make my pizza dough, I measure them by weight.

For NY-style pizzas, I use

500g of bread flour (100%)
300g of water (60% hydration, 100F-110F)
20g of salt (4%)
5g of yeast (1%)

I mix the water and yeast for 10 mins and mix the salt, flour together; then add the water with yeast to the mixer*. Then I put the extract the dough on an oiled bowl to cold ferment for at least 36 hours (longer is better up to 5 days); 500g of flour makes 3-4 doughs for me depending on how large I want to make them. I also prep a pizza stone at 500F for 50 mins before getting the pizza on there.

*I use a KitchenAid mixer
Do you let it proof in the fridge, or can you leave it out?
3-5 days seems it would need refrigeration

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The crust is the most important part of a pizza for me.

There are two places that we prefer to get our pizzas from, and both have real fire brick ovens. I don't believe you can create a perfect crust without one.

Something that my wife and I ALWAYS do when ordering a pizza is we ask for it to be cooked well done. We like the crust to have a little bit of extra well done parts.

I have a Big Green Egg. They sell an attachment that is just for cooking pizzas. It basically turns it into a brick oven. I have the attachment... but I've never used it. If I didn't have 2 quality places near me to choose from for pizzas I probably would have tried to create the perfect crust myself with it. It's just too easy to go pick em up for me to want to put in the time. I do almost all of our cooking and I tend to go overboard... pizza night is like a small vacation for me.

My wife always asks for the crust to be well done, and she prefers the thin. I, however, prefer the NY style, but I have also been known to get a Sicilian from time to time. You really have to get those at the right places. It takes longer to prepare, but it's damn good.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets all be honest here. Crust is irrelevant! What a pizza truly needs is Pineapple!

0bGhfbwRFmeYQ-ZczDcLh-C1aRG70u0qTe9SbfQBEyVGgW_fgQ2EqUXr2Wzq6abQhLjeYtkae2gcnIZqhB_cqZWJwqkovnjDZ1UdAhg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

It is the BEST way to go with pizza.

Anything else is a step or two below because it won't "blister" the crust.

The best pizza I have ever had was in Philly at a place called Stella's.

The last time I was there for a few days I ate there every day.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Do you let it proof in the fridge, or can you leave it out?
3-5 days seems it would need refrigeration

I let it proof in the fridge on a bowl covered in plastic, cold fermentation is the way to go but leaving it at room temperature covered works too; just not too long or you'll risk drying the exterior part of the dough

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No shit? I used to live out there. We were mostly broke so I didn't go to Melo's very often.
I don't go much myself anymore, over $30 for a large, but in addition to the crust the toppings are 1st rate. (Yes I do like pineapple on my pizza/with pepperoni!)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Used to be in Livermore and went to Melo's a few times some good grub.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Try a dough recipe using semolina flour, or durum and semolina flour, it gives the crust more texture.

I used to work at a restaurant that would grill the dough, then finish it off in the oven. It's a little time consuming but it results in a crisp, flavorful crust.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Merlin -
As an obvious pizza aficionado (who knew? :)), what was your favorite (thin crust) pizza place(s) when you were in Vegas?
Settebello is the best pizza in Vegas in my estimation VR, they use a wood fired oven like Italy and their crust is very close to that thin but stretchy type I prefer (i.e. closest to real italian pizza that I have found). (y)

Pizza Rock isn't authentic or anything but they're really good. And their Margherita is excellent (Margherita is a gold standard in Italy btw, their state actually requires any sales point to be authenticated before they can sell that pizza to ensure the original standard isn't diluted). They use a different dough I think so there's only so many they can sell a day.

Last edited: