Q: Does Denarius Moore remind you of Brandon Lloyd?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
From Matt Waldman
of The Rookie Scouting Portfolio
<a class="postlink" href="http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2011/11/12/sunday-mailbag-1113/#more-2456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2011/11/12/su ... #more-2456</a>

Fusue Vue via Twitter: Does Denarius Moore remind you of Brandon Lloyd?

MW: Fusue, I can see where Moore and Lloyd’s games have parallels. Both receivers do a tremendous job adjusting to the football. However, I think each player has some distinct differences.

I think Moore is a better player with the ball in his hands. He’s faster, a little more rugged, and he can also make defenders miss. The comparable player that immediately came to mind for me as a ball carrier as well as their physiques and skill at adjusting to the football was the late Chris Henry. (Video soundtrack NSFW)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-5qxKpCUQk[/youtube]

Both Moore and Henry did a good job outrunning defenders vertically and using their height and gliding speed to make plays with their backs to the football. The difference is that Moore has the potential to fulfill the upside on a consistent basis that Chris Henry unfortunately could not. I would be surprised if we don’t hear Carson Palmer compare Moore to Henry at some point this year. Another difference between Moore and Henry is Moore’s skill over the middle. I think Moore is already beginning to flash skill at working between the hash marks in a way we didn’t see as frequently from the other two receivers.

Although Moore makes some terrific adjustments to the football, what we’ve see thus far is still not comparable to Lloyd in my opinion. It’s like comparing Demarco Murray with Jim Brown. Murray has been very good, but let’s not get carried away just yet.

Lloyd has made more sick catches in his career (watch only if you can’t get enough from the video below) than some of the greatest receivers in the game combined. If you haven’t seen the catch below then watch it and be amazed. If you don’t remember…nah, if you’re a football fan and saw this catch you’ll remember it long after you’ve forgotten your kids’ names. Darryl Johnson was almost uttered speechless trying to describe it (That is…NONSENSE!):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q31BRc3RgyE[/youtube]

And if you keep watching, you’ll see one where Lloyd arches his back to reach for the ball practically behind his head on a deep fade during his brief tenure with the Bears. Then at 1:40 in this video is possibly the sickest one-handed catch on a deep ball you’ll ever see. I’ve seen Randy Moss and Cris Carter make some grabs like this, but never this deep down field with coverage in the area.

Sorry Fusue, but I don’t think there is a more satisfying turn of events in the last decade for me as a football fan than to see Brandon Lloyd resurrect his career. He’s one of the best perimeter receivers in football and if I had to choose between Lloyd and Larry Fitzgerald when it comes relying on a receiver to come down with the ball, I’ll take Lloyd without a second thought.

bluecoconuts

Legend
"I had to choose between Lloyd and Larry Fitzgerald when it comes relying on a receiver to come down with the ball, I’ll take Lloyd without a second thought."

Wow, that's a pretty impressive complement...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
"I had to choose between Lloyd and Larry Fitzgerald when it comes relying on a receiver to come down with the ball, I’ll take Lloyd without a second thought."

Wow, that's a pretty impressive complement...
Yeah, that's bold. I don't know how much you can argue against it either. When it comes to making ridiculous catches, Lloyd sure does seem to have the edge there. Fitz is a phenomenal receiver in his own right. Definitely top 3 in the league. But I don't know how many times he's contorted his body and grabbed passes with one hand the way Lloyd does. I think signing him is a top priority at this point.

BTW, Matt Waldman (the OP) writes for the N.Y. Times - Fifth Down Blog too.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Dude is sick!! Thank you, Billy, for bringing him to the Rams.
Now just sign him long term, please.
GO RAMS!!!!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Lloyd one one side

and this guy on the other.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_97kBZqj270[/youtube]

I've been pulling for Rams to get him since last year lol. If we don't get him and he is available I may slip in a depression.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I have to admit that I never thought Lloyd would make it after leaving the whiners, but he certainly has had a resurgence the last couple of years. Means nada if we don't resign him unfortunately.....