Q&A: St. Louis Rams Defensive End Robert Quinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Derek Ciapala, Yahoo! Contributor Network
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11164598

The 2011 NFL season proved to be more difficult than expected for the St. Louis Rams. However, the team had some bright spots. Defensive end Robert Quinn recorded five sacks in limited action for the club and earned more playing time in the second half of the season. I got in touch with Quinn recently, and here is what he had to say about the Rams, his career, and his personal life.

How is your health? In particular, have there been any changes with your brain tumor?

Quinn: No, since I last checked, it's all fine and dandy. I hope it stays that way. I'm looking forward to the new season and having a little bit of fun.

What did you learn about yourself and the NFL in your rookie season?

Quinn: I guess the main point is that I had a bunch of veteran guys like James Hall and Fred Robbins who have been in the league for a while that know how to work all sides. It was a pleasure learning from those two. I really appreciated that.

I guess I learned that I can definitely never take a play off, or it can ugly for you out there. At the end of the day, you always look at it football to football, and that no matter what level you're on that will not change.

What's your offseason program like now? How do you maintain your health?

Well, I try not to get too fat. (laughs) But no, I'm not hitting it extremely hard. My body doesn't require a lot of eating, even though with me being this size it might seem like it. I'm really trying to maintain and stay healthy, and work out any kinks that I have in my body with different doctors, chiropractors, nutritionists, or whoever it may be. I'm trying to work out the kinks and become the best player I can be.

Were you surprised when the Rams drafted you?

I was definitely shocked. Some of the younger guys that I talked to expected that I would be off the board by then, but I kept falling. And after I fell down past a certain team, I didn't know where I would go. Then my phone rang and I saw that St. Louis was calling. To be honest, I didn't expect to be here, but I have no regrets.

Do you think that teams passed on you in the first round because of the tumor?

I heard that the tumor affected some of the teams that made some of those crazy, big old trades, but you can't really knock them for making those trades. Like I said, there are no regrets. You can't change the past, you know? I'm still smiling. It doesn't matter to me. I'm excited to be around.

How have you adjusted to playing in the NFL in comparison with college and high school?

In college with Coach Davis, he kinda ran it like a pro system. He wanted us to study film on our own. He didn't want to force the guys to do it. He wanted us to make the effort. I give a lot of credit to Coach Davis for kinda running it like a pro system. But of course, in the pros you have to study just a tad bit more to get a heads up on your opponent. So you have to be a little more dedicated, but it's your job, so it's not a bad thing.

What is your favorite move or technique that you like to use on offensive linemen when rushing the passer?

On the field, no matter who's out there, I'm always going to try to see if I can run past them. I just like to test them and see what works the best. Hopefully, I get them a little uneasy. Everybody has their own preferences on how they want to attack their opponent. That's kinda my forte.

This might be too early to tell, but how are Coach Fisher and Coach Spagnuolo different?

Well, I haven't spent that much time with Fisher to get a full evaluation. From what I'm hearing, it's just in the way they prepare. This was Coach Spagnuolo's first coaching job, and Fisher's been around for a long time, so there's definitely a difference in experience between the two guys from the head coaching side of it. But like I said, I haven't spent that much time with Coach Fisher yet, but from the short time I've had, it's been a pleasure.

Look for part two of the interview with Robert Quinn on Wednesday, March 28.

Derek Ciapala has been a Rams fan since he was a child and the team was in Los Angeles. His favorite Rams moments include Flipper Anderson's 336-yard receiving night against the Saints in 1989, and their miracle 1999 run to their first Super Bowl victory. You can follow him on Twitter @dciapala.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
His answers left me uneasy,,,

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
How so Doc? Sounds like a young kid to me. This would be like his senior year of college coming up in playing time.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
At least he's being honest in his answers. That's always refreshing to read.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah I think his answers were down to earth and honest. It's not the same old generic answers we usually hear.

He's a really funny guy on twitter, too.

Vita

UDFA
DR RAM said:

I agree, he seems so nonchalant in his demeanor. I think he's just a laid back kid, but he is pretty aggressive on the field! I can't wait to see him as a starter!

superfan24

Starter
Vita said:
DR RAM said:

I agree, he seems so nonchalant in his demeanor. I think he's just a laid back kid, but he is pretty aggressive on the field! I can't wait to see him as a starter!

Get that feeling too, but I do not see it on the field.
Can't wait to see he and CL dominate with a huge DT in the middle.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I actually liked his answers. He seems like an easy-going, down-to-earth guy, and his answers reflect that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
There were a couple things that I didn't like. He said he learned that he can never take a play off. Just seems like he should have known that already. About offseason program. He said he's not hitting it too hard.

About college vs pros film study..."...you have to study just a tad bit more".

Just seems to me like he is skating a little bit. I'd like to see him more dedicated. Was he honest? Yes. He seems like a good kid, but I want a good pro.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
DR RAM said:
There were a couple things that I didn't like. He said he learned that he can never take a play off. Just seems like he should have known that already. About offseason program. He said he's not hitting it too hard.

Just seems to me like he is skating a little bit. I'd like to see him more dedicated. Was he honest? Yes. He seems like a good kid, but I want a good pro.
IDK Doc. I got the impression he didn't take the Q&A seriously. Football, on the other hand, I don't doubt he's living it as best he can.

As far as being a pro football player, he hasn't had a regular offseason, with OTAs leading up to a full, normal training camp. Even if he hasn't fully figured out how he's supposed to spend his offseason, the beginning of OTAs and this coaching staff will set him straight.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ram Quixote said:
DR RAM said:

IDK Doc. I got the impression he didn't take the Q&A seriously. Football, on the other hand, I don't doubt he's living it as best he can.

As far as being a pro football player, he hasn't had a regular offseason, with OTAs leading up to a full, normal training camp. Even if he hasn't fully figured out how he's supposed to spend his offseason, the beginning of OTAs and this coaching staff will set him straight.
I am really high on him, not trying to drag him down or anything..I was just giving my opinion on his answers only.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
DR RAM said:
Ram Quixote said:
DR RAM said:

I am really high on him, not trying to drag him down or anything..I was just giving my opinion on his answers only.
I know where you're coming from. :cool:

Quinn showed quite a bit last season, especially in the pass rush. We all want to see him get a fast start this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know where Doc is coming from. It came across the same way to me.

I'm not really hitting it too hard (off-season conditioning) :neh:
I learned you can't take a play off (in college) :neh:
Coach left film study up to us (I might have to do more of that) :neh:

He was honest and loose in that interview. That's good to see. And like Q said, once he gets into the off-season program and camp, and THEN gets pushed during the season, he should improve greatly. And to think - what we saw last year was after no camp, no OTAs and really half a season. He should EXPLODE onto the scene this year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
I know where Doc is coming from. It came across the same way to me.

I'm not really hitting it too hard (off-season conditioning) :neh:
I learned you can't take a play off (in college) :neh:
Coach left film study up to us (I might have to do more of that) :neh:

He was honest and loose in that interview. That's good to see. And like Q said, once he gets into the off-season program and camp, and THEN gets pushed during the season, he should improve greatly. And to think - what we saw last year was after no camp, no OTAs and really half a season. He should EXPLODE onto the scene this year.

With what we saw from him last season, I think that is what we will see this season. I agree that some of his responses come off as a lack of motivation on his part. He's a kid and obviously not polished at the interview process. With that said though, I have seen many a high motor, tenacious player seem awfully relaxed off the field. It is not terribly uncommon to see that guy who flips a switch once he gets on the field. Not to compare him to anyone but take Merlin Olson or Rosey for example. Freakin' teddy bears off the field. And though I have only met them once when I was a little kid, I have heard that about many of the greats.