Probably best that we not get too attached to any single rookie, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
There are sooooo many opportunities for backup OL and that LB corps is gonna need 3 new starters plus it’s own backups. Not to mention the DL rotation. Whew!

There are good reasons why the Rams loaded up in those 3 areas. Forget the draft status vs UDFA’s. I foresee fierce competition for the pecking order in all of these areas. And I think that it’s way too early to jump on any player’s bandwagon.

I usually tend to have a favorite or two to really step up each camp. Sometimes I’ve nailed it, but sometimes my guy doesn’t even make the 53. Well, this year is probably a good year to just stand aside and let the players and coaches sort this out on the field.

We should expect the unexpected when the dust finally settles.

I’ll say this. No vet backup player should feel complacent, that’s for sure. This is gonna be one tough roster to make.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams' roster at LB is actually going to be damn easy for these guys compared to most playoff-level rosters. Due to them clearing things out, obviously, but still. Not many playoff teams out there that I can think of who go into the draft with that many holes and then who only add midround and later talent to the position. And what that means is the roster quality will be rather low at the LB position (again for a playoff team).

This is why Oko is a shoe-in to win a roster and for that matter start spot at ROLB. Because there's nobody else on this roster who can really give him a run for his money. Same with Kiser, who looks likely to be an early down run stuffer in this scheme. And it's also why the rest of these guys have a chance, late round and UDFAs all. Which is going to be fun for us to watch in camp.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I've already gotten attached to Kiser and Obo. I just think they're going to be studs. Sorry not sorry.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I’ll say this. No vet backup player should feel complacent, that’s for sure. This is gonna be one tough roster to make.

Other than LB as Merlin pointed out I agree, this is going to be a job to get on the roster.

Exciting times are on the horizon, this is going to be a great season ahead IMO.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
There are sooooo many opportunities for backup OL and that LB corps is gonna need 3 new starters plus it’s own backups. Not to mention the DL rotation. Whew!

There are good reasons why the Rams loaded up in those 3 areas. Forget the draft status vs UDFA’s. I foresee fierce competition for the pecking order in all of these areas. And I think that it’s way too early to jump on any player’s bandwagon.

I usually tend to have a favorite or two to really step up each camp. Sometimes I’ve nailed it, but sometimes my guy doesn’t even make the 53. Well, this year is probably a good year to just stand aside and let the players and coaches sort this out on the field.

Sorry, but I'm already attached to Sarina.

Ram65

Legend
I expect the practice squad to be very different. If you count the 4th round draft picks JFM, Kiser and fifth rounder Obo making the roster there aren't that many openings available. The amount of playing time will be interesting.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Yep, this will be a team over the next several years, that will have a couple of the highest paid players in the league at their positions (Donald, Goff, Gurley, Cooks, Joyner, Peters) and so the rest of the roster will consist if a lot of cheap labor.

So guys like Fox, Longacre, Littleton, Hill, Higbee, and Brown will likely not get that 2nd contract even if it only puts them in the $2-4M per year range. There will be few guys on the roster that make that much to just be solid reserves or avg starters.

Instead those positions will be filled by low cost 1st contract players with maybe a few exceptions, likely along the OL due to the extreme importance of that group.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yep, this will be a team over the next several years, that will have a couple of the highest paid players in the league at their positions (Donald, Goff, Gurley, Cooks, Joyner, Peters) and so the rest of the roster will consist if a lot of cheap labor.

I mentioned a few days ago that this may have been the plan for this off season and it's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out over the next two off seasons. We may see Snead trading 1st and/or 2nd rounders for established players again. I have no problem with that as long as the player is worth it and under contract.

The one year pickups are really risky.........

Ram65

Legend
So guys like Fox, Longacre, Littleton, Hill, Higbee, and Brown will like lt not get that 2nd contract even if it only puts them in the $2-4M per year range. There will be few guys on the roster that make that much to just be solid reserves or avg starters.

That is interesting. Longacre makes 1.95 Million on a one year deal. Fox gets 630K in the second and last year of his contract. Fox could be fighting for a job this year. If Longacre is healthy a deal this year would be smart. I was thinking Higbee could have a breakout year or at least show more reliability in blocking and catching. Brown could be had for a decent price tag. If Hill plays like the end of last year he would be worth keeping. Seems like getting some of these guys on a second or longer term contract would be a good thing.

Yep, this will be a team over the next several years, that will have a couple of the highest paid players in the league at their positions (Donald, Goff, Gurley, Cooks, Joyner, Peters) and so the rest of the roster will consist if a lot if cheap labor.

The Joyner money gets a 2 or 3 guys resigned. They can't keep paying him 11M a year money. Lots of things to figure out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is why Oko is a shoe-in to win a roster and for that matter start spot at ROLB. Because there's nobody else on this roster who can really give him a run for his money.
Besides some stats....this guy is really overrated around here....Like, where was he vs Georgia? I mean, did he have 2 tackles?
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ogbonnia-okoronkwo-1.html

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400953412

For comparison, look at Stephen Parker...and...and...Lorenzo Carter's stat line...Play big in big games...

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Besides some stats....this guy is really overrated around here....Like, where was he vs Georgia? I mean, did he have 2 tackles?

For comparison, look at Stephen Parker...and...and...Lorenzo Carter's stat line...Play big in big games...

If he was there only real pass rush threat you can scheme a guy out if a game. Now, if he us a piece to a better puzzle then he can maje an impact.

So yeah, that's why he was not a 1st, 2bd or even a 3rd round pick, but add him to a high quality DL, and give him to an imaginative DC, then he will likely prosper.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I mentioned a few days ago that this may have been the plan for this off season and it's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out over the next two off seasons. We may see Snead trading 1st and/or 2nd rounders for established players again. I have no problem with that as long as the player is worth it and under contract.

The one year pickups are really risky.........

I would think next year they focus on getting A few of their next generation impact players.

With a 1st and three 3rds, they have a shot of getting 2 or 3 guys that can step in and be long-term solutions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

That wasn't one of his best games. So yeah, you can draw conclusions on it, and I think teams did. Look where he went in the draft after all.

Same thing, incidentally, with Lorenzo Carter, who I loved. Had some games where I don't know wtf he was doing. Then some others where he played up to his talent. But he's bigger, and a freak of nature, so he went much earlier.

For myself it's why I ensure I watch as many games of a player as possible, though. Because all these guys have those games man. Even the LBs who went first round.

And lastly, it's the fit that makes me excited with Oko. I think you're going to like what Wade and our defensive staff does with him.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The postets that lamented losing Quinn, Ogletree and Barwin ?

I didn't see that poster when I looked in the mirror.

I am so excited to see these young active guys do their thing.

I was sorry to see Carlos Thompson cut personally.
I wanted to see what he could do with last year's playing time under his belt and more snaps.

Very disappointed in Quinn, Ogletree and Barwins production last year particularly in stopping the run.

I don't think these young new guys cannot do much worse in that department.

Rotating young energetic dudes on the edge could also pay dividends in the sack department from our front 3.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'm genuinely excited to see how John Kelly fares as the change of pace halfback. He may not be fast but knows how to break tackles; if McVay can utilize him effectively, he'll be reliable in tiring out defenses.

Also looking forward to seeing how our rookie linemen develop under Kromer and Whitworth's tutelage.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The postets that lamented losing Quinn, Ogletree and Barwin ?

I didn't see that poster when I looked in the mirror.

I am so excited to see these young active guys do their thing.

I wanted to see what he could do with last year's playing time under his belt and more snaps.

Very disappointed in Quinn, Ogletree and Barwins production last year particularly in stopping the run.

I don't think these young new guys cannot do much worse in that department.

Rotating young energetic dudes on the edge could also pay dividends in the sack department from our front 3.
Exactly!

I see it as an opportunity for the team to move forward with new people who were selected for their potential to compete for roles in a 3-4 defense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Same thing, incidentally, with Lorenzo Carter, who I loved. Had some games where I don't know wtf he was doing. Then some others where he played up to his talent. But he's bigger, and a freak of nature, so he went much earlier.
Oh man...did I like Lorenzo....he played OK...in several games....but that ND game just cemented this image in my mind...Jumps off the screen.
Ogbo Odo....meh...It's funny...I did watch a bunch of Oklahoma...but mostly the offense....while I liked Mayfield...I just don't think he'll be effective...
The one thing I have against him is his habit of standing around when plays not coming to his side...I just read he started playing football kinda late...so maybe he's still too new to the game...we shall see....
Shocked is the words I'd use...I wonder what type of injury he has?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If he was there only real pass rush threat you can scheme a guy out if a game. Now, if he us a piece to a better puzzle then he can maje an impact.
I thought the Sooners had some talent out there to help....I think that Safety Parker is a better prospect to make this team....he had a good game vs Georgia.

He stands around...a bunch....maybe he doesn't know the game...but that's a problem for a LB....
So yeah, that's why he was not a 1st, 2bd or even a 3rd round pick, but add him to a high quality DL, and give him to an imaginative DC, then he will likely prosper.
He wasn't a 1st, 2nd or even a 3rd because he didn't test well....he had decent numbers on the field to go in the 2nd round...short...not really blazing speed...and plays on the edge....remember that OLB from Georgia....dude name Jones? Played with Tree??? How about that guy, Shane Ray? Dude at Denver....similar players...good in college but don't match up well versus tackles in the pros....Offensive Tackles are like...real sized men...you've never seen a guy before that huge in person...they engulf guys that are short...unless they move like Quinn...or the guy we have Samson...

Personally, I like Young much better...Kid outta Louisville. Length...athletic...determined.....great story on him too...pulling for Odo Oko...but think the deck is stacked...Just read they're moving Fox out to OLB too...I really liked Fox....reminded me of Longacre. Powerful guys. Active guys
And

I've never seen them just standing around.
With a 1st and three 3rds, they have a shot of getting 2 or 3 guys that can step in and be long-term solutions.
This was such a deep draft....I wonder will 2019 have such value in the 3rd as this one had????

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nobody else on Oklahoma’s defense was drafted so it’s easier to scheme around him if he’s the only good player there. Whereas Georgia had two linebackers drafted including Smith at #8. If Carter has a top 10pick with him he should shine as the offense can’t focus on him.

Ants

Starter
Ogbo Odo....meh...It's funny...I did watch a bunch of Oklahoma...but mostly the offense....while I liked Mayfield...I just don't think he'll be effective...
The one thing I have against him is his habit of standing around when plays not coming to his side...I just read he started playing football kinda late...so maybe he's still too new to the game...we shall see....
Shocked is the words I'd use...I wonder what type of injury he has?

I wasn't high on OO either...I mean, did OU even put a defense on the field? :whistle:
But when I isolate on him, I can see why some like him. Yeah, he stood around when the play was in the other direction...but I just figured he's making sure a reverse or RB reversal didn't burn the defense.
He does look to be strong and athletic.
I'm just waiting to see what he can do on a defense that has some direction and can harness his talent.
That OU "defense" was just terrible. :puke: