Preview: Texans at Patriots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So... who do you like in this game?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_ ... quick-take

It was ugly last time: On Dec. 10, on "Monday Night Football," the Patriots smoked the Texans, 42-14. New England was up 28-0 in the third quarter and the Texans basically waved the white flag by early in the fourth quarter. Linebacker Bradie James said after it was over that the Patriots had given the Texans a lesson in championship-caliber football. Houston believed if there was a playoff rematch, it would be at Reliant Stadium. But the Texans lost two out of three after that and allowed the No. 1 seed, home-field advantage and a bye week to slip away.

Top QBs shred the Texans: Tom Brady threw for 296 yards and four touchdowns in that regular-season meeting. Houston’s had a poor season when it comes to defending top-flight quarterbacks. Before Brady’s big game, Peyton Manning (in a loss) and Aaron Rodgers (in a win) had also posted big numbers against the Texans. What could be different this time? Well, Connor Barwin was better as a pass-rusher against Cincinnati than he has been much of this season, and if he can add to the threat J.J. Watt provides, that would help. And while cornerback Johnathan Joseph struggled in that initial meeting, Houston’s top corner is as healthy now as he’s been in a long time.

The Gronk factor: The Texans struggled with Aaron Hernandez in the first matchup, as he caught eight passes for 58 yards and two touchdowns. As good as he is, Rob Gronkowski tends to present even more of a matchup problem. He missed the first game as he recovered from a broken arm. Brian Cushing might be good against him, but the Texans inside linebacker has been out since October after suffering a torn ACL. Nickelback Brice McCain just missed his fifth game since surgery to repair a broken foot. If the Texans were at full strength, Gronkowski would be a matchup problem -- and he and Hernandez together could be a giant problem. Minus two guys who might be able to do some effective work in that department, the Texans could really struggle to keep Brady from finding them.

The third-down story: Heading into the regular-season meeting, the Texans were allowing offenses to convert just 28.2 percent of third downs and Bill Belichick raved about that facet of Bulls on Parade. Brady and the Patriots converted 50 percent in the win, and Houston’s defense finished the season allowing 33.0 percent. But in nine third-down opportunities in the wide-card playoff game Saturday at Reliant Stadium, the Bengals didn’t convert once. The Texans have their confidence back in that department, though they know the New England offense is a whole different deal than Cincinnati’s was.

Will the weather matter? The Texans beat the Bears at Soldier Field on Nov. 11 on a cold, rainy Chicago night that was super windy. Chicago’s offense is not as threatening or high-powered as New England’s, however. If Sunday afternoon is a blustery, Northeastern winter day, it’s less than ideal for the Texans. That’s part of why those failed chances to earn home-field advantage were so big.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Anybody and everybody > the patriots.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:
So... who do you like in this game?

Oh no you di'n't! All right ANNYONE just SAY you like the patsies. The lightning bolt's waiting.

"Will the weather matter?"
Fuck NO the weather won't matter. It'll be a cold day in hell before I "like" the patsies.

I LIKE Watt to make Tommi his bitch.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think EVERYONE here does NOT like the Patriots... my choice of words was bad... I meant "who do you like for the win".

I could see the Patriots winning this one big.

But, I sure hope to be wrong.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:
I think EVERYONE here does NOT like the Patriots... my choice of words was bad... I meant "who do you like for the win".

I could see the Patriots winning this one big.

But, I sure hope to be wrong.

Yeah I know what you meant man. Sarchasm doesn't always play through a keyboard. Not that I take back anything. It just wasn't actually aimed at you.

Any time I hear anything patsies, bile just builds in my throat. See there? I need some Pepcid.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamFan503 said:
Any time I hear anything patsies, bile just builds in my throat. See there? I need some Pepcid.

It sucks: SF, Sea, and NE...

On one hand, it makes for easy rooting in these games. On the other hand, the odds one makes the Super bowl is haunting.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

On one hand, it makes for easy rooting in these games. On the other hand, the odds one makes the Super bowl is haunting.

Too true. Fuck... thanks. Now I'm imagining Seacocks vs Weiners to see who faces the patsies? Kill me NOW!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamFan503 said:
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

Too true. freak... thanks. Now I'm imagining Seacocks vs Weiners to see who faces the patsies? Kill me NOW!!!

Make it go away!

This weekend is going to be interesting... In that regard its a fun weekend. Lets hope it ends on a high note!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

Too true. freak... thanks. Now I'm imagining Seacocks vs Weiners to see who faces the patsies? Kill me NOW!!!

Make it go away!

This weekend is going to be interesting... In that regard its a fun weekend. Lets hope it ends on a high note!

A high note? Packers throttle the Whiners. The Fake-ons waste the Shecocks. And.... drum roll please.... JJ shows Tommi "what's happening". DI-NO-MITE! Ah yes... Good Times.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamFan503 said:
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

Make it go away!

A high note? Packers throttle the Whiners. The Fake-ons waste the Shecocks. And.... drum roll please.... JJ shows Tommi "what's happening". DI-NO-MITE! Ah yes... Good Times.

INDEED!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
How are you getting Rerun and JJ Evans mixed up like that?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:

Age - (Edited by poster to remove classless phrase.) :bign:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:

Age.
Tell me about it.

Remember when movies were a dollar?

:bahumbug:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:

Age.
Tell me about it.

Remember when movies were a dollar?

:bahumbug:

Yeah but I prefer to remember being hip before there were hipsters. :7up: Yea! My emoticon is back!