Post June 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think it's pretty clear that the Rams are waiting to finalize their roster until after June 1. That would seem to indicate at least one roster move is pending, be it on the Rams to clear cap space or with a trade partner who will have to eat a substantial amount of cap, or both teams that would have to restructure contracts or eat cap money. It's the only reason I can see for waiting to finalize their roster. I really think that is the only reason keeping OBJ waiting.

It's been reported on Ramswire that the Rams are targeting OBJ's return to be the Christmas day game vs the Broncos. Looking at the way WR contracts are escalating it's going to be hard to keep 3 top end WRs on a team in this new contract reality. Jefferson still has two years on his rookie contract and is an ascending talent. How do they justify paying him top dollar in 3 years when they have Kupp, Robinson, and OBJ in front of him? It's why his trade value is at its peak right now. I think Jefferson's fate was sealed when they signed Robinson. He needed to show more after OBJ went down. He struggled to play the X WR position. It was a new position for him and Jefferson was only a second-year player. But once again McVay's impatience with young players surfaced. It was obvious in his playcalling. McVay's insistence he wants OBJ makes it clear that Jefferson is being bumped down the depth chart. So trading him makes complete sense for both the Rams and Jefferson. Van doesn't bring the fear factor like Kupp, Robinson, and OBJ.

With Kupp and AD to extend there is just so much the Rams can do financially. I also, expect them to get their edge in trade for Jefferson, meaning another big contract to deal with. I think TE will be a draft priority next year as Higbee will be a 31 year old FA in 2024.

BTW from what I've heard the potential FB UDFA was released because he was too raw and they didn't like his "movement". It wouldn't surprise me if we see them sign another UDFA only this time a player who has played FB in college. This is one of the more interesting off seasons.

Tano

Legend
I heard that Jefferson was hurt in the Superbowl and could barely run his routes.

jjab360

Legend
Van Jefferson's value to this team is much higher than the 4th/5th round pick they might get for him.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
BTW from what I've heard the potential FB UDFA was released because he was too raw and they didn't like his "movement". It wouldn't surprise me if we see them sign another UDFA only this time a player who has played FB in college. This is one of the more interesting off seasons.
I understand that 4 of the 5 UDFA released have been resigned including the TE Carter. Maybe he worked on his movement in the 24 hrs post his release??

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand that 4 of the 5 UDFA released have been resigned including the TE Carter. Maybe he worked on his movement in the 24 hrs post his release??
He took mamba and salsa dance classes tbh

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I don't think the Rams necessarily HAVE TO resign Van Jefferson. He was a good pick for us but I could see Rams just letting him play out his contract and getting a Comp pick for him in return when he leaves in FA.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the Rams necessarily HAVE TO resign Van Jefferson. He was a good pick for us but I could see Rams just letting him play out his contract and getting a Comp pick for him in return when he leaves in FA.
Rams very rarely just cut a draft pick and much less a starter like the RT or the #3 WR correct. They let them play out their contract and get the comp pick. This constant fascination of OP and some others about cutting people just isn't in the Rams standard operating procedure. Trade them sure cut them no mostly let them play out their contract.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
New favorite target to cut :D
Hey OldSchool is it safe to say that the OP has moved on from Havenstein and is now laser-focused on Van Jeff?
I for one would be rather thrilled if that's the case 'cuz I get tired of whumpin' on the same old, same old.
Hey we gots some fresh blood to pound on now!!!!

~ArkyRamsFan~

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hey OldSchool is it safe to say that the OP has moved on from Havenstein and is now laser-focused on Van Jeff?
I for one would be rather thrilled if that's the case 'cuz I get tired of whumpin' on the same old, same old.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Funny how Big Rob Havenstien has now talked on the Mentoring & The Rams draft another Badger who he & Edwards have relation with.
- Plus Allen Robinson said he looks forward to playing with Can Jefferson who comes from the same Hood & was a reason he thought to sign as a FA with The Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

~ArkyRamsFan~
It's good and bad IMO and he's only shifting targets because Big Rob is in the last year of his contract. The downside is we may have a year full of this with Van until next off season when he too will be entering the last year of his deal. It's just not like the Rams to cut starters no matter what we think of their performance. Trade? Sure that's happened before but I can't recall the last time a starter was just flat out cut.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
1) no way the Rams cut VJ and get nothing back.
2) a trade might be attractive to another team because there is still time on VJ’s rookie contract, but…
3) who would the Rams use as a #3? Benny Skow? That’s not gonna work.
4) OP assumes OBJ is a done deal. Let’s wait and see how it unfolds. If I’m the Rams FO, I wait until I see him running full speed before I do ANYTHING.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
OBJ, yet to be signed, is hardly a lock to be with the Rams when VJ's contract is up. Extending Kupp and AD should free up money. And as was pointed out, the Rams are more likely to let VJ walk and receive a decent comp pick than they are likely to trade him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

van jefferson will be a huge part of the offense this season. anyone who thinks differently isn't facing reality.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jefferson 'needed to show more' in the two quarters 'after OBJ went down' ?... OK
To be fair his stats were poor.

No passes completed, no field goals made and not a single sack or even a tackle for loss. I'm just stunned we still won.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But once again McVay's impatience with young players surfaced. It was obvious in his playcalling.
Impatient?

Or just knows intuitively that they're not ready at that moment in time to do what he needs them to do?

Is there a long list of players who McVay let walk because he was frustrated and now are killing it with other teams that I'm unaware of?