Possible friction between John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is an older article. Not sure if we missed it. Didn’t find in search.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/4/30/18524042/rumors-kyle-shanahan-john-lynch-49ers-breakup

Report: Possible friction between John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan could lead to a potential breakup

Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller put out his Scouting Notebook on Tuesday morning. There were some interesting tidbits in there, to say the least. Some people will scoff at this because Miller has a reputation that he is not a fan of the San Francisco 49ers general manager John Lynch. Even if he isn’t, I highly doubt he would print the things we are about to get into.

Here is the excerpt about the 49ers:

There were handshakes, bro hugs and smiles in the draft room as the 49ers drafted Nick Bosa at No. 2 overall in the 2019 draft, but word out of San Francisco points to friction and a potential breakup of head coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch.

According to sources in the team’s scouting and coaching staff, the two aren’t in lock step as far as the vision of the offseason and the future of the franchise. The coach, Shanahan, wants to scheme and develop players while not being bothered with the player evaluation process, but more and more he finds himself involved while not trusting the decision-making of Lynch—a former media analyst after his Hall of Fame playing days but not someone with a scouting background.

It’s naive to think that every decision made by the front office will have 100% of the members in agreement with each other. If the last part is true, then this story has legs to it. Honestly, some of Lynch’s recent draft picks make sense. Solomon Thomas was never going to produce like a top 5 talent. It’s easy to say that now, but I’ve always felt like that. That’s not on Thomas that he was selected where he was.

Having that scouting background is completely different than the experiences Lynch went through as a player. So I understand the point Shanahan is making.

Here’s the last paragraph from Miller:

The 49ers signed both Lynch and Shanahan to five-year contracts when they were hired before the 2017 season. With three years left and a team that’s been stuck in neutral ever since, a power struggle could be coming with Lynch and chief deputy Adam Peters on the outs, and Shanahan looking for his own personnel man to run the draft and free agency.

For what it’s worth, it’s a six-year contract, not five.

Depending on how patient ownership is, year 3 is usually when you don’t get any more passes and you are judged by the product you put on the field. If Jimmy Garoppolo balls out, and the defense plays to their potential, none of this matters. If not, this story isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

As for the 2019 draft class, Bosa has a chance to save some jobs. With Shanahan being an offensive guy, Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd are going to have to be successes on the field. Hurd likely gets more time to develop, as he is still green at the receiver position.

All of this feels like the front office is feeling pressure to win. That’s no surprise. Tensions build and fingers start to point. A 9-7 playoff berth will solve plenty of problems.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All of this feels like the front office is feeling pressure to win. That’s no surprise. Tensions build and fingers start to point.

:sneaky:

fearsomefour

Legend
Coming off of two bad seasons I do wonder how much time the HC has left.
He seems to have his QB....and strangely lucked into two solid backup QBs....pieces on D being added.
Even if SF goes 4-12 again I think he will stick around.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's see....We have dissension between the HC and the GM, and a QB that's only had a handful of good games in two years and looked skittish last year. Break this thing up after year three and start it all over like the Raiders would?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would think that if their core pieces stay healthy all season, they need to win at least 8 games before that whole thing starts to unravel.

Another 4, 5 or 6 win season will likely bring on the reset button on Shanny Jr and Lynch.

IMO Lynch is in over his head and Shanny is purely an X's and O's guy who doesn't relate well to his players or the locker room.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
he coach, Shanahan, wants to scheme and develop players while not being bothered with the player evaluation process, but more and more he finds himself involved while not trusting the decision-making of Lynch—a former media analyst after his Hall of Fame playing days but not someone with a scouting background.

I would like a more detailed explanation of this. I don't know how each NFL team goes about the draft process. I thought most coaches want a big say in who their team drafts.

Seems like the Rams have solid communication between all parties. McVay/Wade/Bones tell Snead what they are looking for in players. They also go over positions and rate them as to the team needs. Scouts know the traits that the team is looking for and hone in on the players with the skill sets. Scouts talk their favorite players up and the Rams set their board with I imagine McVay/Wade/Bones/Snead all having a say. Wow it's great that I have no worries when it comes to the Rams draft. They may miss out on someone which is impossible not to but, I know they have a plan.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This story warms my heart. I'll be smiling ear to ear for the rest of my Monday now.

Hopefully Lynch spears Kyle in the back with one of his cheap shots he's so famous for. Kyle looks like a fucking miserable bastard anyway.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Am I being insensitive when I say I don't feel sorry for any problems the 49ers have? I know I should feel sorry for them. But for some reason I don't.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMO Lynch is in over his head and Shanny is purely and X's and O's guy who doesn't relate well to his players or the locker room.

This.

I wouldn’t want Lynch as my GM. I’m not sure why he was hired, credential-wise.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't miss it but it's just as good the second time around. :p

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It’s naive to think that every decision made by the front office will have 100% of the members in agreement with each other.
This is the difference between winners and losers. Snead and McVay are 100% in agreement with player personnel. We wouldn’t be successful if they weren’t.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Probably doesn't help to be compared to the McVay-era Rams. They were both hired the same year, right?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Am I being insensitive when I say I don't feel sorry for any problems the 49ers have? I know I should feel sorry for them. But for some reason I don't.
NOT feeling sorry for the Whiners, is a passage all Rams fans can enjoy without remorse.
It's ok. Enjoy Brother.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Tension between Lynch and Shanahan???

th

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Way I see it Shanahan was ready for his head coach look. Lynch was an effin hail mary by the owner, an outside hire of a guy who hasn't worked his way up the chain. So if and when the power struggle happens, Shanny should come out on top. And if not, then it's gonna be even more fun to watch.

I do think the whiners have some talent and enough to challenge us if their QB is healthy. But that said if our defense plays like they did in the playoffs through this season we're going to take the division regardless.