Pillar of Success: Barrett Jones/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Pillar of Success: Barrett Jones
By Myles Simmons Rams Insider

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Pillar-of-Success-Barrett-Jones/234224b5-528c-4786-a4c1-3594e0179e83

The state of Alabama is crazy about college football -- of that fact, there is no doubt -- and the University of Alabama has long been at the center of it. The Crimson Tide has a strong tradition of champions, especially under famed head coach Bear Bryant, and the program has come back to the forefront of the sport under current head coach Nick Saban.

Indeed, Saban’s four national titles with two different schools -- one at LSU, three at Alabama -- is impressive in its own right. And one of the common threads between all three of Saban’s ’Bama titles is one Rams offensive lineman: Barrett Jones.

Jones was a jack of all trades at Alabama, helping anchor the offensive line by playing three different positions. After redshirting for a year upon entering the university, he played right guard in the team’s first championship season under Saban. Jones played the same position his redshirt sophomore year, before flipping over to left tackle his junior year en route to another national title. He finished his collegiate career as the Crimson Tide’s center, finishing No. 1 in the country for a third time.

All told, Jones won a bevy of awards, including the Outland Trophy (awarded to the nation’s best interior lineman) in 2011, the Rimington Trophy (awarded to the nation’s best center) in 2012, and was a two-time consensus All-American (2011, 2012). And it’d be remiss not to mention that he was named an NCAA Academic All-America Team Member of the Year (2012).

Yet if not for Saban, Jones may not have attended Alabama at all. Though his father also attended the school to play basketball, the offensive lineman said that there were no guarantees he would go there himself. In fact, Jones says that he probably would not have selected Alabama until Saban arrived. Once he heard the head coach’s recruiting pitch, Jones was sold on where he wanted to be.

“That’s kind of when I knew that I would probably be going there because he was the kind of coach I wanted to play for,” Jones said in a recent interview with stlouisrams.com. “It wasn’t necessarily any one particular thing he said. It was kind of the way he said it -- how organized he was, and the way he had such a plan and a process for going about it. He just kind of showed me the specific steps that he had in place, and the way that he had every aspect of the program geared toward becoming a national championship-winning program.”

Another reason Jones says he gravitated toward Saban and Alabama was the head coach’s personality. The offensive lineman called Saban “a type-A guy” who is always encouraging competition.

“He’s really not the guy who’s going to promise you that you’re going to start as a freshman or anything like that,” Jones said. “The only promise is that you’re going to have a chance to compete for a starting job. I was drawn to that.”

Compete he did -- that is, after his redshirt year. Jones said the process of going from a small private school to Alabama was a bit overwhelming, and using his first year to acclimate to everything that is Tuscaloosa and Alabama football was certainly helpful.

The next season, however, Jones earned a starting role at right guard. He said that he had feelings of nervousness that season that never seemed to manifest themselves again.

“The first game I ever played was against Virginia Tech, and that was in the Georgia Dome,” Jones said of the Sept. 7, 2009 matchup that the Crimson Tide won, 34-24. “I was so nervous.”

The team would go on to a 14-0 season, winning a national title for the first time since 1992. The two other games from ’09 that stand out the most to Jones were Alabama’s final two of the season -- the SEC Championship against Florida, and the BCS National Championship game against Texas.

“My favorite game I ever played was the 2009 SEC Championship against Florida,” Jones said. “That was my favorite game ever because we had played them the year before and they had barely beaten us. And that was our goal the whole year, to just get back to that game, to play Florida. We knew they’d be there. And we did it, we accomplished it. We probably played the best game we maybe ever played in that game.”

Jones says that season’s title game means the most to him out of the three he won.

“The first one was so unique and special,” Jones said. “It was at the Rose Bowl, it was against Texas -- a marquee team. And I was just so nervous. I’ll never forget how nervous I was for that game. They went up 6-0, but after that we kind of settled down, played our game. But that was definitely a really special experience because it was the first one.”

Though Jones would win a second BCS National Championship as a left tackle in the 2011 season and a third as a center his senior year, those titles just don’t carry the same weight.

“We had already played LSU, so we knew exactly what to expect,” Jones said of winning his second, 21-0 over the Tigers.

“And I’m not trying to insult them, but to be honest, we knew we were going to roll Notre Dame after seeing them on film,” Jones said of the 42-14 victory in his third championship game. “They were a good team, but we had an understanding. We didn’t want to say it because we wanted everybody to come out ready to play, and we obviously did. But I think we knew that it was kind of an uneven matchup.”

Aside from being a member of one of the most successful runs a college football program has seen in recent history, Jones did plenty off the field to show his mettle. He received his undergraduate degree from Alabama in the summer of 2011, graduating summa cum laude. He then earned his masters in accounting in December 2012, maintaining a 4.0 GPA in the process.

“My view was that I just wanted to get in as much school as I could, and I tried to take advantage of that in a good way,” Jones said. “I always tell people to pick a school that you’d want to go to even if you weren’t playing football. I think that Alabama was that place for me because I really just enjoyed the school aspect of it so much. It’s a great university.”

When you walk through the football complex at Alabama now, Jones’ likeness is front and center on the wall of the offensive line’s meeting room. It’s a testament to what he was able to accomplish both on and off the field, and Jones calls it a big honor.

“We said when we went there, we wanted to do something that people will remember -- at least for a while, I know everybody eventually forgets,” Jones said. “I think we did that.”
Even considering how football crazy Alabama fans are, perhaps they will forget. But with three national championships in four years, it likely won’t be anytime soon.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I was hoping last year was the year Jones stepped up and took a spot on the OL. Oh well, I'll settle for versatile, solid depth at this point. Like everyone else on this forum, I'm a little disappointed because of the great college career he had! It's impressive, no doubt, but a few pro accomplishments to go with all the collegiate accolades would be nice. Is this a current article? No mention of his future? Is he satisfied?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Kid has all kindsa smarts. Would not surprise me to see him walk away from the game to pursue other endeavors

SierraRam

Recreational User
Kid has all kindsa smarts. Would not surprise me to see him walk away from the game to pursue other endeavors

Yup - He can be anything he wants. I had starry-eyed-homer visions of 'All-Pro Center' when we drafted him, but I agree, he might just walk. Who among us wouldn't be totally satisfied with playing on 3 BCS National Championship Teams?!!

fearsomefour

Legend
He signed a 4 year $2.6M contract out of college....doesnt take an accounting major to figure out what kind of return on investment the Rams have gotten so far.
But, I hold out hope.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
Pillar of Success: Barrett Jones
By Myles Simmons Rams Insider

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Pillar-of-Success-Barrett-Jones/234224b5-528c-4786-a4c1-3594e0179e83

The state of Alabama is crazy about college football -- of that fact, there is no doubt -- and the University of Alabama has long been at the center of it. The Crimson Tide has a strong tradition of champions, especially under famed head coach Bear Bryant, and the program has come back to the forefront of the sport under current head coach Nick Saban.

Indeed, Saban’s four national titles with two different schools -- one at LSU, three at Alabama -- is impressive in its own right. And one of the common threads between all three of Saban’s ’Bama titles is one Rams offensive lineman: Barrett Jones.

Jones was a jack of all trades at Alabama, helping anchor the offensive line by playing three different positions. After redshirting for a year upon entering the university, he played right guard in the team’s first championship season under Saban. Jones played the same position his redshirt sophomore year, before flipping over to left tackle his junior year en route to another national title. He finished his collegiate career as the Crimson Tide’s center, finishing No. 1 in the country for a third time.

All told, Jones won a bevy of awards, including the Outland Trophy (awarded to the nation’s best interior lineman) in 2011, the Rimington Trophy (awarded to the nation’s best center) in 2012, and was a two-time consensus All-American (2011, 2012). And it’d be remiss not to mention that he was named an NCAA Academic All-America Team Member of the Year (2012).

Yet if not for Saban, Jones may not have attended Alabama at all. Though his father also attended the school to play basketball, the offensive lineman said that there were no guarantees he would go there himself. In fact, Jones says that he probably would not have selected Alabama until Saban arrived. Once he heard the head coach’s recruiting pitch, Jones was sold on where he wanted to be.

“That’s kind of when I knew that I would probably be going there because he was the kind of coach I wanted to play for,” Jones said in a recent interview with stlouisrams.com. “It wasn’t necessarily any one particular thing he said. It was kind of the way he said it -- how organized he was, and the way he had such a plan and a process for going about it. He just kind of showed me the specific steps that he had in place, and the way that he had every aspect of the program geared toward becoming a national championship-winning program.”

Another reason Jones says he gravitated toward Saban and Alabama was the head coach’s personality. The offensive lineman called Saban “a type-A guy” who is always encouraging competition.

“He’s really not the guy who’s going to promise you that you’re going to start as a freshman or anything like that,” Jones said. “The only promise is that you’re going to have a chance to compete for a starting job. I was drawn to that.”

Compete he did -- that is, after his redshirt year. Jones said the process of going from a small private school to Alabama was a bit overwhelming, and using his first year to acclimate to everything that is Tuscaloosa and Alabama football was certainly helpful.

The next season, however, Jones earned a starting role at right guard. He said that he had feelings of nervousness that season that never seemed to manifest themselves again.

“The first game I ever played was against Virginia Tech, and that was in the Georgia Dome,” Jones said of the Sept. 7, 2009 matchup that the Crimson Tide won, 34-24. “I was so nervous.”

The team would go on to a 14-0 season, winning a national title for the first time since 1992. The two other games from ’09 that stand out the most to Jones were Alabama’s final two of the season -- the SEC Championship against Florida, and the BCS National Championship game against Texas.

“My favorite game I ever played was the 2009 SEC Championship against Florida,” Jones said. “That was my favorite game ever because we had played them the year before and they had barely beaten us. And that was our goal the whole year, to just get back to that game, to play Florida. We knew they’d be there. And we did it, we accomplished it. We probably played the best game we maybe ever played in that game.”

Jones says that season’s title game means the most to him out of the three he won.

“The first one was so unique and special,” Jones said. “It was at the Rose Bowl, it was against Texas -- a marquee team. And I was just so nervous. I’ll never forget how nervous I was for that game. They went up 6-0, but after that we kind of settled down, played our game. But that was definitely a really special experience because it was the first one.”

Though Jones would win a second BCS National Championship as a left tackle in the 2011 season and a third as a center his senior year, those titles just don’t carry the same weight.

“We had already played LSU, so we knew exactly what to expect,” Jones said of winning his second, 21-0 over the Tigers.

“And I’m not trying to insult them, but to be honest, we knew we were going to roll Notre Dame after seeing them on film,” Jones said of the 42-14 victory in his third championship game. “They were a good team, but we had an understanding. We didn’t want to say it because we wanted everybody to come out ready to play, and we obviously did. But I think we knew that it was kind of an uneven matchup.”

Aside from being a member of one of the most successful runs a college football program has seen in recent history, Jones did plenty off the field to show his mettle. He received his undergraduate degree from Alabama in the summer of 2011, graduating summa cum laude. He then earned his masters in accounting in December 2012, maintaining a 4.0 GPA in the process.

“My view was that I just wanted to get in as much school as I could, and I tried to take advantage of that in a good way,” Jones said. “I always tell people to pick a school that you’d want to go to even if you weren’t playing football. I think that Alabama was that place for me because I really just enjoyed the school aspect of it so much. It’s a great university.”

When you walk through the football complex at Alabama now, Jones’ likeness is front and center on the wall of the offensive line’s meeting room. It’s a testament to what he was able to accomplish both on and off the field, and Jones calls it a big honor.

“We said when we went there, we wanted to do something that people will remember -- at least for a while, I know everybody eventually forgets,” Jones said. “I think we did that.”
Even considering how football crazy Alabama fans are, perhaps they will forget. But with three national championships in four years, it likely won’t be anytime soon.

It is so strange how a player so celebrated at Alabama can not be a successful starting center for us. Although he lacked some physical tools, he obviously has "enuff" to be the best in college going against D lineman who are successful in the NFL. And maybe he can be our guy after his injuries/ weight/ strength/ and body habitus get sorted. Applying that experience with him to this draft? it is hard to feel comfortable spending a draft choice on any current college center. Unless I'm in a vacuum, I'm curious why more reporters are not asking questions to coaches etc as to what the Rams / coaches think of him regarding potential and timelines . I have not heard a lot and still feel in the dark. I want someone to ask Snead and Fisher exactly what is going on and their value of him. I guess we will know soon with FA and the draft.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wow tough crowd tonight. I enjoyed the read and look forward to him finally getting a chance to compete and get some PT. They knew he was screwed the first year with an injury both sides knew would take a year+ to recover from. Last year I was disappointed that he didn't seem to get a chance with Wells around even as poor as Wells was playing. Hopefully they have seen the light, Boudreau is supposed to be a great coach, he has a great talent to work with it should be a match made in heaven.

Isn't this supposed to be the site where we root for Rams players????

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Personally don't think Jones is ever going to play in a regular season game. No reason, just a feeling.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow tough crowd tonight. I enjoyed the read and look forward to him finally getting a chance to compete and get some PT. They knew he was screwed the first year with an injury both sides knew would take a year+ to recover from. Last year I was disappointed that he didn't seem to get a chance with Wells around even as poor as Wells was playing. Hopefully they have seen the light, Boudreau is supposed to be a great coach, he has a great talent to work with it should be a match made in heaven.

nobody is hating on him. we read all these college stories when he got drafted. all we want to know now is will he be finally ready to play this season and can he play in the nfl.

Greg Stone

Rookie
I thought when we drafted him that he was close to a sure thing. He was drafted with the knowledge that he would miss the first year. the injury the second year was a surprise, but that was one strike, not three. He's probably be a starter in 2015 and he'll do a fine job.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The biggest reason he hasn't played (that I know of) is injury more than that he can't handle it...That may have been it in the beginning but that's not real uncommon even with some of the really highly thought of guys right out of college...If he's healthy and doesn't get playing time this year, then it's probably time to dust off the bust label...

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
It has already been said here, but it is true:

Jones had 2 injuries; One that they knew going in, and a freak one last camp. I would not be shoveling dirt on a still warm body. Who knows what the Rams think of him and his future? I do know that they let Barnes walk and finally euthanized that POS Wells with no other backup plan, (Rhaney perhaps). They might think that they already have their starting center in the building going forward. It would have been nice to audition him for the job a little after it was confirmed for like the millionth time what they had in Wells, and were eliminated from playoff contention. This organization loves its "former pro bowl" veterans though, so that wasn't going to happen.

Time for Coach "Bou" to earn his paycheck. I keep hearing how good he is, well it is time to do it talk. No excuses, just results!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
JT said in one of his chats that the Rms consider Jones a Guard, not a center. Reports were that he had a soft body, too soft and needed to get stronger to play at this level.

He was healthy toward the second half of the season and appeared in a game or two. So, is he really worse than Davin Joseph? The coaches not playing him over Joseph suggests that he isn't.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

It is unfortunate that he couldn't earn some playing time, when Wells was hurt and ineffective.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the coaching staff.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Jones is shit, I'm not going to have homer vision with him. If the dude couldn't help with Wells or Joseph last year playing absolutely horrible and still rode the pine that tells me all I need to know about him.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Jones is crap, I'm not going to have homer vision with him. If the dude couldn't help with Wells or Joseph last year playing absolutely horrible and still rode the pine that tells me all I need to know about him.

Is that really all you need to know? When he got a chance, he played well. Wells had never done that ever in a Rams jersey! Robinson sat while that gob of blob Joseph started over him for weeks!

Why wasn't the #2 pick in the draft starting over Davin Joseph?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My problem when I look at Jones I see this;

pillsbury-doughboy.jpg

I hope he's getting stronger.

He didn't look too bad last year in limited time... so here's to hoping he's turned the corner.