Pick up RG3's option or not

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pick it up?

• Yes

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 78.7%

• Total voters

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-...ins-picking-up-option-on-rg-iii-carries-risks

The decision for Indianapolis was a no-brainer. Of course the Colts would pick up Andrew Luck's fifth-year option: He'd delivered everything they’d hoped he would during his first three seasons. Regardless of what happens this season, he is their future.

It’s not so easy for the guy drafted one spot behind him in 2012. TheWashington Redskins have less than a month (until May 3) to decide if they want to pick up Robert Griffin III's fifth-year option, which would pay him $16.155 million. To put it mildly, it’s a risk -- and it’s one they don’t need to take.

Russell Wilson gets hit a lot, too; he hasn’t been hurt.

And here’s the real bottom line: The $16.155 million is guaranteed only for injury. So if a player gets hurt in 2015 and the team wants or needs to cut him because of that injury, all of that money would be guaranteed and would count against the salary cap.

Any team picking up that option assumes that risk, of course, but we already know there’s a divide in the organization about what Griffin can do at quarterback. When it comes to quarterbacks, the organization must feel good about what it has but a split is bad. Scream unfairness or bias or whatever makes you feel better but the Redskins have a split. That’s the truth.

If he plays the way his doubters fear and then gets hurt, you’re now talking about $16 million in 2016 cap space for a player coming off another injury that you’re not sold on. At that point you’re either carrying a lot of dead money or a player you might not want at a hefty sum. And you’d then need a quarterback because he either wouldn’t be the answer or would be unable to play.

If he has a year like last season where an injury occurs early but he returns, they could then cut him after the season and there’s no guaranteed money.

It’s not a pleasant scenario by any means. And the hope is that Griffin doesn’t get hurt, that he’s able to show, good or bad, all that he can do. But if you’re the Redskins and you’re trying to decide on the fifth year, you have to take all of this into account. The durability concerns are real. This isn’t personal, it’s business as they say in my favorite movie. (You have to ask? It’s "The Godfather.") The NFL is very impersonal: Play well, get paid; play poorly, get cut.

The Redskins named Griffin their starter already, hoping it provides a boost for him and settles a situation that would be chaotic even in the spring. That’s fine. But you don’t hand out $16.155 million just to make someone feel better or more secure or because he has a good relationship with the owner. After two tough seasons by Griffin and the team, is there anything wrong with proving yourself once more? For a variety of reasons -- some Griffin could control, others he couldn’t -- he hasn’t been the same player since his injury.

Thing is, it’s too early to write off Griffin and I'm not going to do that. The point isn’t to say he can’t play well. He can. Griffin can help himself in many ways. The Redskins can help him get better, as well. It’s not a one-way street here. No doubt many people would like to see Griffin return to having the swagger he showed in 2012 when he energized a city and fan base. As a beat writer, it sure beat covering the past two years -- by a mile.

But it’s not as if the Redskins would lose him if they don't pick up the option and he plays well. They can still sign him to a long-term deal. Or if he balks at that and is angry about the option year, they can use the franchise tag on him. Either way, if Griffin succeeds, it’s not as if they’d lose him because they did not use the fifth-year option. Heck, he could end up with a better deal.

The Redskins have less than a month to decide and I’m not sure what direction they’ll go. But I know one decision carries more risk.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Well if they don't, we can finally all come to an agreement that we got the better end of that trade. For anyone that still holds the opinion that we didn't.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I voted yes. Not because it's a good idea, but because that's what I want Washington to do.

If he was a Ram. HE'LL NO.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
No thanks as much as it would really fly in the face of Redskin fan.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Why would they? The guy works as an option QB - but his body (and I think any QB's body btw) can't survive doing it in this league. He got destroyed in a year and a half doing it. So now he's a pocket passer? Well he can't be. That's not his game. So he sucks now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I voted no.

However; if he plays this year like he did in 2012... You probably would. But the Redskins don't have the luxury to know that right now.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I voted 'no' because it's time to move on. RG3 must be aching to prove himself, so mutually they'll let it happen... somewhere else.

Along with most everyone else, I thought Robert Griffin III would be special. His story is all too familiar to us. :(
upload_2015-4-11_10-56-3.jpeg

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I voted no.

However; if he plays this year like he did in 2012... You probably would. But the Redskins don't have the luxury to know that right now.

That's my point. He cant be the 2012 guy anymore because his knee wont let him, he's lost a step and he'll get beat up again too much - so his game has been FORCED to be changed. If he was coming out of college tomorrow as the guy he is now he wouldn't go no# 2 overall because he would be judged solely as a pocket passer.

RamzFanz

Damnit
He's done. I wouldn't count on him in any way. I think teams just can't admit they were very wrong.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
He's done. I wouldn't count on him in any way. I think teams just can't admit they were very wrong.

From the noises in Washington it sometimes seems as though its the owner - not the team who cant give up on him. Shanahan did and got fired - Gruden seems to have as well and has had a bit of tension because of it.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'd see how the draft works out and if moving up to #2 costs to much or not and if mariota falls.

I'm leaning towards yes but it's a 60/40 split atm so i vote yes. Though I think a change of environment would probably be best for both parties.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No. He's barely worth two-million at this point. I hope he stinks so that everyone can stop talking about him as some kind of bigshot.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Whereas I recognize all the reasons to say no, if they don't there is enough talent there that if he goes elsewhere and kills the cost to the redskins will be more ,vastly more than paying him for another year, sometimes you have to ride out what appears to be a bad decision until it becomes a no brainier.
I.E> when Sam was with us all you heard was how brittle he was, which if you get my drift has a chilling effect on saying positive things about the guy, but as soon as we traded him, the opinions of the people who run teams were all singing Sams praises and the consensus was then if he stays healthy Sam can take the Eagles to the SB.
Right now the negative buzz about RG is all ya hear, but I PROMISE , there are GMs in Cleveland ,or Tenn. or Buffalo who'd LOVE to see that kid a FA, but aren't able to talk about it. Jeff George got multiple chances every coach thought they could fix him, JMO the Redskins are sort of stuck between two undesirable possibilities with an owner who has fired one coach over the kid, Gruden is not nearly the high profile coach Shanny is, it's like if you'd break up with Jessica Simpson over something , what chance would Roseanne Barr have is she did the same:LOL:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Whereas I recognize all the reasons to say no, if they don't there is enough talent there that if he goes elsewhere and kills the cost to the redskins will be more ,vastly more than paying him for another year, sometimes you have to ride out what appears to be a bad decision until it becomes a no brainier.
I.E> when Sam was with us all you heard was how brittle he was, which if you get my drift has a chilling effect on saying positive things about the guy, but as soon as we traded him, the opinions of the people who run teams were all singing Sams praises and the consensus was then if he stays healthy Sam can take the Eagles to the SB.
Right now the negative buzz about RG is all ya hear, but I PROMISE , there are GMs in Cleveland ,or Tenn. or Buffalo who'd LOVE to see that kid a FA, but aren't able to talk about it. Jeff George got multiple chances every coach thought they could fix him, JMO the Redskins are sort of stuck between two undesirable possibilities with an owner who has fired one coach over the kid, Gruden is not nearly the high profile coach Shanny is, it's like if you'd break up with Jessica Simpson over something , what chance would Roseanne Barr have is she did the same:LOL:

Difference is Sam's a pocket passer. His injuries affecting his mobility doesn't matter. Its not so much that RGIII is brittle - its that if he cant run he cant play the position.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Always liked RGIII. Seems like a nice enough guy. I didn't much care for his game. Now, with the injuries, I don't think there is much left to his NFL career. Voted No. (Thanks again Redskins).

GO RAMS!!!!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Difference is Sam's a pocket passer. His injuries affecting his mobility doesn't matter. Its not so much that RGIII is brittle - its that if he cant run he cant play the position.

NOW but the recovery for ACL is REALLY two years and if someone gets RG to be a pocket passer, and he is back to his old self as far a running capability goes ,he still can be a star. Would I go out into that "rain storm" uh no, but if I was already "out there" kinda think I'd stick with it.Or if ya want another metaphor back in the day when my buddies and I would stay out to late and one would say,I gotta get home my wife's gonna kill me, I'd say dude she can't get no madder, may as well stay.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
NOW but the recovery for ACL is REALLY two years and if someone gets RG to be a pocket passer, and he is back to his old self as far a running capability goes ,he still can be a star. Would I go out into that "rain storm" uh no, but if I was already "out there" kinda think I'd stick with it.Or if ya want another metaphor back in the day when my buddies and I would stay out to late and one would say,I gotta get home my wife's gonna kill me, I'd say dude she can't get no madder, may as well stay.

I get ya - but the 5th year option for RGIII is $16.155m. So its not like they're not already out in the rain - they're in the rain and it could become a hurricane.