CAMP REPORT Photos and final thoughts Jul 30

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Long read, fair warning!
Yesterday was my final camp attendance for this year. Here are my thoughts on the players, the facilities and our overall experience along with some photos.

I tried to focus on our DB's and their coverage so that is why you won't see much in the way of receivers catching the ball, there's only one ball and I could only pick on one receiver/DB to follow at a time.
Final Camp Photos

LMU is a nice campus with limited space and that reflected on the limited number of tickets available to the public. We can't thank @Flatlyner and @Bkfld_Rams for sharing their tickets with us. It was very much appreciated. The bleachers face west so we are looking into the afternoon sun which played havoc with my camera (I'm not a pro photographer, not even an amature, just a point and shoot and hope for the best). The main field handled the bulk of the work outs and a baseball diamond behind us was also used for conditioning drills. Now that I think about it, for the three days I was able to attend camp, the Rams never did do any 7x7 as in the past, just 11x11. I think I like that idea, get everyone more opportunities for some plays. Make a note of that for future reference.

I preferred the confines of UCI feeling it was much more fan friendly with plenty of seating and of course the shade provided. Also, it was only five miles from my work (when I as working) and 14 miles from my home. It's a hundred mile round trip up to LMU so UCI spoiled me there.

Who's for real, who's just getting by and who will we be saying goodbye to:

QB's - Stafford, Jimmy G are for real. Jimmy not as good as Stafford but one of the better back up QB's we've had in a long time. Stafford looks ready to play. I don't recall and bad throws from him, his anticipation was spot on. I'm looking for an MVP type season from him.
Stetson Bennet is just getting by. Remember, this is really his rookie year although he did attend camp last year at UCI. He needs some polishing. Some throws were behind the receivers, some fell short, some went to an area where there were no receivers. Again, needs a little more work. Has a good feel for the pocket and can scramble if needed.
Dresser Winn is not a bad QB, just not NFL starting caliber. Is he even back up material? Not really. He has a good arm, not a deep arm but can be accurate. I think his release is a little slow. He's a good depth chart QB.
What will the Rams do with 4 QB's? Stafford is the starter (duh). Jimmy G is the back up except for the first two games where it will be Bennet. Winn goes to the practice squad. After Jimmy G comes back I could see Bennet moving to the practice squad replacing Winn.

WR - Kupp, Pucca, D. Robinson are for real. Great talent here and they all look hungry for the ball. The hard part here is who is WR #4? Tutu? Whittington? X. Smith? Johnson? An argument could be made for each of them but I'm seeing Tutu on the bubble. I beleive Johnson and Smith provide better value than Tutu or Whittington. The only thing I can't judge is their willingness and ability to block in this offense. That may be what separates each of them. This is a wonderful problem to have, to many quality receivers! Stoops, Wiglusz, Lapp won't make the team. I don't really recall seeing Lapp on the field. The other two did get some looks but I didn't see the crisp rout running of a Kupp or the ability to shake defenders to get open. They may be practice squad players but not starters in my opinion.

TE - For real, Parkinson, Allen, Higbee (once back from IR). Long is getting by but could be a numbers casualty. Did not see much of the the others, Forristall, Johnson or Kalinic.

OL
- Easily Havenstein, A. Jackson, Avila, Dotson, J. Jackson, Noteboom, Bruss (draft status, make or break year), Limmer (only backup center). The remainder I can't say due to lack of reps when I was there. The only one I think who will not make it is KT Leveston. I sure hope they don't plan on using Z. Thomas at tackle.

RB - K. Williams, Corum, Scott and Rivers are in. Evans could make it on teams otherwise he didn't much opportunity to shine. I hope I'm wrong on this but then who doesn't make it? Rivers or Scott? Just signed Scott so I don't see him being cut.

DL - Turner, Young, Fiske, Verse will be the strength of this defense. Brown will also be in this mix. I made a comment yesterday that AD would not be missed. Seems I received some flack about that. @RamBall summed it up well when he said we all will miss AD but the combined efforts from this front four will be able to make up for the lost production of one player, AD. So it's not that I'm dismissing AD, it's that I don't feel we will have any drop off statistics wise.

DB - I wasn't able to focus on this group as they were being mixed in through out camp. Let's say we know Cam Curl and Kinchens and J. Johnson are solid. All the others I can't really say one way or the other.

LB - Jones and B. Jackson looked good, after that it's hard to say so I won't.

Teams - Karty, Evans and Ward (long snapper) are in. PK Brown is good and will be poached once he is released (Detroit?).

To summarize, this was the best camp I have seen as far as player performance, intensity. The coaching staff knows what they are doing and we are so fortunate to have McVay leading the way. He really sets the expectations and the tone and tempo of these open practices. Thank you for taking the time to read all these reports from @bubbaramfan and my self and we both appreciate the likes and comments provided.

Take care,

VRF (VeteranRamFan)

Tano

Legend
I made a comment yesterday that AD would not be missed. Seems I received some flack about that.
Naw - I wasn't really giving you flack for that comment.

More of a you opened yourself to people commenting on how much they appreciated AD.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thanks to all who put up camp reports. I love that we get such great coverage here from the fans, straight and to the point with no BS and clickbait, just the way I like it. This camp seemed to go really fast, either that or it's that age effect sigh. But there's nothing better than getting these reports as the season is ramping up. :clinkingbeer:

Now that I think about it, for the three days I was able to attend camp, the Rams never did do any 7x7 as in the past, just 11x11.

Yeah I love this. One thing about McVay is he learns when he gets those hard lessons. Detroit bullied us in that playoff game and every big playoff loss he has suffered have that in common; it is the best way to beat McVay. It was a good showing by the Rams, but the trenches were not ideal. He knows damn well we have those bastards coming in week one to SoFi, and beyond that the NFC West looks like it's going to be back to being a top division IMO with even the Cards having a real GM now. So this OL investment, the RB depth, and even the focus on physicality in camp by using time on 11x11 I think are all indicators of what he is thinking. That's the best way to read Coach. Can't go off what he says because everything is thoroughly homogenized and then sugar coated for the media.

Could also be that the players have allowed it by grasping the concepts at a high level too, so they can go straight into elevens instead of that frilly brainwork sevens nonsense. At least to some extent the players deserve cred there I expect.

Yeah I don't see Tutu making this team. The other depth options are bigger and making moves up the chart, and his inability to threaten in space or contribute on teams limit his value to the roster. Same goes for Bruss. It is no small accomplishment to get drafted in the NFL, let alone in the earlier rounds, but I think in each of their cases the Rams are probably stronger by moving on from them. I would not be surprised in fact if either or both were cut early to first off make a point with the players that how you show up on the field matters, but also to give them early looks at NFL rosters vice being cut late.

The QB3 job is a big deal due to Jimmy being suspended to start the season. So I think at this point with the preseason games about to begin the single biggest hope outside of injury avoidance is to see Bennett improve game to game. Just see the field, take what is there, distribute the ball quickly. He should be able to do that in this offense, which fits his skills. Only question is whether he's bought in mentally and doing the work to be ready.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Long read, fair warning!
Yesterday was my final camp attendance for this year. Here are my thoughts on the players, the facilities and our overall experience along with some photos.

I tried to focus on our DB's and their coverage so that is why you won't see much in the way of receivers catching the ball, there's only one ball and I could only pick on one receiver/DB to follow at a time.
Final Camp Photos

LMU is a nice campus with limited space and that reflected on the limited number of tickets available to the public. We can't thank @Flatlyner and @Bkfld_Rams for sharing their tickets with us. It was very much appreciated. The bleachers face west so we are looking into the afternoon sun which played havoc with my camera (I'm not a pro photographer, not even an amature, just a point and shoot and hope for the best). The main field handled the bulk of the work outs and a baseball diamond behind us was also used for conditioning drills. Now that I think about it, for the three days I was able to attend camp, the Rams never did do any 7x7 as in the past, just 11x11. I think I like that idea, get everyone more opportunities for some plays. Make a note of that for future reference.

I preferred the confines of UCI feeling it was much more fan friendly with plenty of seating and of course the shade provided. Also, it was only five miles from my work (when I as working) and 14 miles from my home. It's a hundred mile round trip up to LMU so UCI spoiled me there.

Who's for real, who's just getting by and who will we be saying goodbye to:

QB's - Stafford, Jimmy G are for real. Jimmy not as good as Stafford but one of the better back up QB's we've had in a long time. Stafford looks ready to play. I don't recall and bad throws from him, his anticipation was spot on. I'm looking for an MVP type season from him.
Stetson Bennet is just getting by. Remember, this is really his rookie year although he did attend camp last year at UCI. He needs some polishing. Some throws were behind the receivers, some fell short, some went to an area where there were no receivers. Again, needs a little more work. Has a good feel for the pocket and can scramble if needed.
Dresser Winn is not a bad QB, just not NFL starting caliber. Is he even back up material? Not really. He has a good arm, not a deep arm but can be accurate. I think his release is a little slow. He's a good depth chart QB.
What will the Rams do with 4 QB's? Stafford is the starter (duh). Jimmy G is the back up except for the first two games where it will be Bennet. Winn goes to the practice squad. After Jimmy G comes back I could see Bennet moving to the practice squad replacing Winn.

WR - Kupp, Pucca, D. Robinson are for real. Great talent here and they all look hungry for the ball. The hard part here is who is WR #4? Tutu? Whittington? X. Smith? Johnson? An argument could be made for each of them but I'm seeing Tutu on the bubble. I beleive Johnson and Smith provide better value than Tutu or Whittington. The only thing I can't judge is their willingness and ability to block in this offense. That may be what separates each of them. This is a wonderful problem to have, to many quality receivers! Stoops, Wiglusz, Lapp won't make the team. I don't really recall seeing Lapp on the field. The other two did get some looks but I didn't see the crisp rout running of a Kupp or the ability to shake defenders to get open. They may be practice squad players but not starters in my opinion.

TE - For real, Parkinson, Allen, Higbee (once back from IR). Long is getting by but could be a numbers casualty. Did not see much of the the others, Forristall, Johnson or Kalinic.

OL
- Easily Havenstein, A. Jackson, Avila, Dotson, J. Jackson, Noteboom, Bruss (draft status, make or break year), Limmer (only backup center). The remainder I can't say due to lack of reps when I was there. The only one I think who will not make it is KT Leveston. I sure hope they don't plan on using Z. Thomas at tackle.

RB - K. Williams, Corum, Scott and Rivers are in. Evans could make it on teams otherwise he didn't much opportunity to shine. I hope I'm wrong on this but then who doesn't make it? Rivers or Scott? Just signed Scott so I don't see him being cut.

DL - Turner, Young, Fiske, Verse will be the strength of this defense. Brown will also be in this mix. I made a comment yesterday that AD would not be missed. Seems I received some flack about that. @RamBall summed it up well when he said we all will miss AD but the combined efforts from this front four will be able to make up for the lost production of one player, AD. So it's not that I'm dismissing AD, it's that I don't feel we will have any drop off statistics wise.

DB - I wasn't able to focus on this group as they were being mixed in through out camp. Let's say we know Cam Curl and Kinchens and J. Johnson are solid. All the others I can't really say one way or the other.

LB - Jones and B. Jackson looked good, after that it's hard to say so I won't.

Teams - Karty, Evans and Ward (long snapper) are in. PK Brown is good and will be poached once he is released (Detroit?).

To summarize, this was the best camp I have seen as far as player performance, intensity. The coaching staff knows what they are doing and we are so fortunate to have McVay leading the way. He really sets the expectations and the tone and tempo of these open practices. Thank you for taking the time to read all these reports from @bubbaramfan and my self and we both appreciate the likes and comments provided.

Take care,

VRF (VeteranRamFan)
Really a great way to break it down VRF, This was my favorite report mostly due to the format. Bravo and Thank You