PFT’s wild-card picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/01/pfts-wild-card-picks-4/

PFT’s wild-card picks
Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2015

brown.jpg
Getty Images

The 256-game regular-season picks contest resulted in a five-game win over MDS. I finished with a 12-4 mark; MDS ended with 11-5.

For the year, I was 170-86 (66.4%). MDS is 154-86 (64.4%).

The record now re-set to 0-0, with an 11-game postseason chase. For the wild-card round, we differ on two of the picks. For our picks on all of this weekend’s game, just keep reading.

Cardinals at Panthers

MDS’s take: A Ryan Lindley-led Cardinals team vs. a sub-.500 Panthers team. This is one of the worst playoff games in NFL history. But someone is going to advance to the divisional round, and I think it will be the Panthers, who are playing their best football at the right time. The Carolina defense has improved over the course of the season, and that defense is going to make life miserable for Lindley, who just isn’t good enough to be leading an NFL offense into the postseason. The Cardinals had a promising season, but it will come to an end on Saturday.

MDS’s pick: Panthers 24, Cardinals 13.

Florio’s take: Four straight wins to end the season have given the Panthers a boost heading into the postseason. And even though the Panthers are 7-8-1 on the year, many think they’ll easily handle the quarterback-challenged Cardinals. That’s exactly what coach Bruce Arians wants. His team thrives when doubted, and they’re being doubted again. Look for the Panthers to continue their postseason struggles at home — and for the Cardinals to punch their ticket for a third contest against a team that has outscored them this year with a combined score of 54-9.

Florio’s pick: Cardinals 20, Panthers 17.

Ravens at Steelers

MDS’s take: Few players mean as much to their teams as Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell, who this season became the first player in NFL history to top 2,200 yards from scrimmage without fumbling. If Bell can’t go, or if he’s at less than full speed, that would be devastating for the Steelers. I think the Steelers’ offense will be slowed down without Bell, and the Ravens’ offense will be able to move the ball against a bad Steelers Defense. Baltimore takes this one in a road upset.

MDS’s pick: Ravens 24, Steelers 20.

Florio’s take: The Ravens have pulled eight playoff upsets since 2000. But none of those upsets have come against the Steelers. It’s hard to imagine it happening now; even if Le’Veon Bell can’t go, the Ravens suddenly can’t contain receiver Antonio Brown, who has 18 catches for 234 yards in two games against Baltimore this year.

Florio’s pick: Steelers 23, Ravens 14.

Bengals at Colts

MDS’s take: The Colts have not played particularly well recently, but I just can’t overlook what happened when these teams met in Week Seven and the Colts won 27-0. Andrew Luck and T.Y. Hilton had great days in that game, and even Trent Richardson made some plays. I like the Colts to do it again and win convincingly.

MDS’s pick: Colts 24, Bengals 10.

Florio’s take: The Colts shut out the Bengals during the regular season. Which means that the Bengals scored as many points as they have playoff wins since the week before they destroyed Bo Jackson’s hip. While a shutout isn’t likely on Sunday, the Bengals will have a tough time beating a Colts team that remains good enough to get to the divisional round, but not much farther.

Florio’s pick: Colts 24, Bengals 13.

Lions at Cowboys

MDS’s take: With Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh winning his appeal and Cowboys defensive tackle Henry Melton out with a knee injury, I’m tempted to pick the Lions to win an upset. But what’s holding me back is that I’m just not convinced the Lions can put enough points on the board, even if Melton’s absence means Matthew Staffordwill have more time to pass. Stafford completed only 20 of 41 passes last week against the Packers, and the Cowboys will have a big advantage at quarterback with Tony Romorunning the offense. That will be the difference.

MDS’s pick: Cowboys 28, Lions 20.

Florio’s take: The Lions and the Cowboys have each changed the narratives about their underachieving teams this year. The Dallas storyline will revert quickly, if they blow a chance to return to Lambeau in the postseason for the first time since 1967. Tony Romo and company will keep that from happening. If they don’t, everyone will say that Tony Romo and company are no different than they were in past years.

Florio’s pick: Cowboys 31, Lions 27.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Panthers
Steelers
Bengals
Cowboys

Is there any doubt?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What I hope for:

Panthers over Cardinals
Ravens over Steelers
Bengals over Colts
Lions over Cowboys(Sorry @Rynie it's just my loathing for Jerruh)

What will most likely happen:

Cardinals@Panthers: Panthers win in a low-scoring game.

I don't see the Cardinals third-string QB playing mistake free football much less lighting it up on the road. Bruce Arians' face will be as red as his stupid cap.

Ravens@Steelers: Steelers win in a shoot-out.

When two teams that are about equal meet, I usually pick the home team. I suspect Le’Veon Bell will play but not his full workload. Still, Roethlisberger at home will be tough to beat.

Bengals@Colts: Colts will kick their butts.

Andy Dalton and his team will continue their futile one-and-out playoff nightmare. Would love to be wrong about this one.

Lions@Cowboys: Cowboys win by two TD's.

The Cowboys are a better team than the Lions and their at home. End of story. Their O-line will control the Lions D-line in both the run and passing game.

There will be as many camera shots on Jerruh during the game as there is on Romo and the Cowboys cheerleaders combined. Before, during, or after the game Suh will stomp on someone's hand or other appendage, be suspended for the rest of the season and then win his appeal.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Panthers
Steelers
Colts
Cowboys

IMO we as Ram fans need to root for the Cowboys and Packers in NFC, as they stand the best chance of beating the shitchickens in Seattle.

If the Lions or Panthers go up there...yikes.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
In order of which team i'd like to see win it all this year:

I'm a closet fan of both these teams so i'd be cool with that.
Green Bay
Baltimore

Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Detroit
Denver
Carolina

I'll be seriously pissed if any of these win a Lombardi.
Dallas
Pittsburgh
Seattle
New England
Arians' Cardinals

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The oline in Carolina is going to get abused by AZ.
I don't see the Panthers pulling it off.

AZ
DAL
Pitt
Indy

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And even though the Panthers are 7-8-1 on the year, many think they’ll easily handle the quarterback-challenged Cardinals. That’s exactly what coach Bruce Arians wants. His team thrives when doubted, and they’re being doubted again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...is-playing-jedi-mind-tricks-with-quarterback/

Bruce Arians is playing Jedi mind tricks with quarterback
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 2, 2015

arians.jpg
Getty Images

Bruce Arians is obviously a good football coach. But if he’s ever looking for another job, he should try sales.

The Cardinals coach is currently pushing the idea that his team has more than just a chance of winning a playoff game with Ryan Lindley under center, but that they know they’ll win Saturday at Carolina.

There’s a true belief we’re going to win the game,” Arians said, via Dan Bickley of theArizona Republic. “There’s no doubt about it.”

Of course, it’s because of Lindley that most people think their chances are much smaller than that, but Arians said the last two weeks against the Seahawks and 49ers have shown him Lindley’s improving.

“Its light years,” he said of Lindley’s readiness. “When you get experience in big games, and those were two big games, it affects how you play. And I think he’s more than ready now to play extremely well.”

But wait, there’s more.

“He knows what he’s doing,” Arians said of the guy he nearly benched for rookie Logan Thomas. “He knows the offense. He’s very bright. He has courage. Some people call it guts, but he has courage. And it takes courage to play that position at this level. So he has the things that really count. He’s smart, he’s tough and his accuracy is getting better and better.

“The one thing that’s got everybody excited [is] it’s not been too big for him. He’s been as calm as you can be out there, and they all know he knows what he’s doing. That’s the confidence factor that everybody has.”

So there you have it. They don’t need another quarterback. They have Ryan Lindley, American Warrior.

If he can get them to forget that Lindley’s won one game as a starter, or has two touchdowns and 11 career interceptions, then Arians is more than just a football coach.

He’s a Jedi Master.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The author needs to do some research.
It's " Red-eyed Bastard " not " Jedi Master ".

Is it too much to ask that these guys get it right?
Technically, it's possible to be both...
$%28KGrHqV,!lEE2EiilbBGBNrPb1ubS!~~_35.JPG

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Am I still suffering from my New Year's Hangover, or did the article never say the name of MDS?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I'll give you a 50/50% chance of being right on this^! But then again, I'm only hitting about 40% of my Bets in the play-Offs!:LOL:

These are definitely bias picks lol, I'd love them to be right though and see the cheaters/seahacks out. So far Im 7-1 post season picks *crossing fingers* :X3:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
These are definitely bias picks lol, I'd love them to be right though and see the cheaters/seahacks out. So far Im 7-1 post season picks *crossing fingers* :X3:
I really hope your luck holds, It would make the SB worth watching!:ROFLMAO::D