PFT's Week 12 Picks - Spoiler Alert - Rams lose :( according to Florio

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2014, 9:24 AM EST
stanton.jpg
Getty Images
Not long ago, MDS held a five-game lead in this year’s PFT picks battle. Now, it’s three games. In the other direction.

That eight-game swing could end up being a 12-game swing, based on the four disagreements we have for Week 12.

And I led with that because it wasn’t a great week for either of us. I generated a so-so 9-5; MDS was a sluggish 6-8.

For the year, I’m at 105-56 (65.2 percent). MDS stands at 102-59 (63.3 percent).

For this week’s 15-game slate of prediction, keep reading.

Chiefs at Raiders

MDS’s take: I still don’t think the Raiders are going to go 0-16, but as the season wears on I’m finding it harder and harder to find a game they’ll win. I certainly don’t think they’ll beat the Chiefs, who can step into first place in the AFC West.

MDS’s pick: Chiefs 27, Raiders 17.

Florio’s take: Oakland has completed the Raider Slam, losing 16 games in a row over two seasons. They’ll now move a step closer to the Lion Slam. Potentially finishing the year only four away from the Tampa Slam.

Florio’s pick: Chiefs 27, Raiders 10.

Browns at Falcons

MDS’s take: The 4-6 Falcons are currently the No. 4 seed in the NFC playoff race, while the 6-4 Browns are currently the No. 10 seed in the AFC playoff race. The Browns probably need this game more than the Falcons do, but I’ll pick the Falcons to pick up their fifth win and remain on top of the NFC South.

MDS’s pick: Falcons 21, Browns 20.

Florio’s take: The Browns play up and down to the level of the competition. So the Browns need to think of the Falcons not as a 4-6 team, but as a division leader. Throw in the return of receiver Josh Gordon and renewed doubts about quarterback Brian Hoyer, and that could be the recipe to send the Falcons to 4-7, but still only 1/2-game out of first place, pending Monday night’s game.

Florio’s pick: Browns 24, Falcons 21.

Jets at Bills

MDS’s take: The Bills are probably out of the AFC playoff race after their loss to the Dolphins, but there’s definitely a wide gulf between the third-place Bills and the last-place Jets. Snow might affect the Bills’ preparation this week, but I still expect them to win.

MDS’s pick: Bills 27, Jets 16.

Florio’s take: The Bills would be the obvious pick if they were able to, you know, practice in advance of the game. A delay until Monday or Tuesday would make it a more fair arrangement. Assuming the league will find a way to preserve competitive balance on this issue, the Bills become the obvious choice.

Florio’s pick: Bills 20, Jets 13.

Buccaneers at Bears

MDS’s take: Lovie Smith will have his new team playing hard against his old team, but the Bucs are still at least a year away from having the talent to compete week-in and week-out. The Bears will take this one.

MDS’s pick: Bears 30, Buccaneers 20.

Florio’s take: Lovie Smith gets his shot at revenge against the team that fired him after a 10-6 season. Another loss by the Bears confirms that Chicago won’t finish with a record that good in Marc Trestman’s second season. A Tampa win may not be the smart pick (when has that ever stopped me?), but it would be a great story.

Florio’s pick: Buccaneers 24, Bears 20.

Bengals at Texans

MDS’s take: This was the toughest game of the week for me to pick. The Bengals looked awfully good last week against the Saints, but I think the Texans’ pass rush may be too much for Andy Dalton to handle, and Houston will win a low-scoring game.

MDS’s pick: Texans 14, Bengals 13.

Florio’s take: It would be a lot easier to pick Bengals games if they played a little more consistently. A week after shellacking the Saints in their own building, it’s time to take on a much less accomplished quarterback on a team with less overall talent. But the Texans clobbered in Cleveland a Browns team that outscored the Bengals by 21 in the prior game. Actually, it probably makes sense for the Bengals to complete the round-robin by beating the team that beat the team that blew out the Bengals, especially since Marvin Lewis has something the Browns didn’t — actual game tape on Mallett.

Florio’s pick: Bengals 27, Texans 20.

Jaguars at Colts

MDS’s take: This was the easiest game of the week for me to pick. The Colts will shake off last week’s loss to the Patriots with a beatdown of the Jaguars.

MDS’s pick: Colts 33, Jaguars 10.

Florio’s take: Indy isn’t as good as we all thought they were. But they’re good enough to use a game against the Jaguars to stay at least one game ahead of the Texans.

Florio’s pick: Colts 30, Jaguars 17.

Packers at Vikings

MDS’s take: The way the Packers have steamrolled everyone in their path recently, they look like the best team in the league right now. They certainly won’t struggle with the Vikings.

MDS’s pick: Packers 28, Vikings 14.

Florio’s take: The Vikings are moving in the right direction, but they can’t hang with the Packers this year. Or probably next year. Or pretty much every year until Aaron Rodgers retires.

Florio’s pick: Packers 42, Vikings 21.

Lions at Patriots

MDS’s take: The Patriots took over the top spot in the AFC last week, while the Lions lost an opportunity to take over the top spot in the NFC. Now New England will take another step toward home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, while the Lions will take another step backwards.

MDS’s pick: Patriots 21, Lions 10.

Florio’s take: The Patriots keep on rolling, regardless of the opponent or the location. Until they have to go to Lambeau Field.

Florio’s pick: Patriots 30, Lions 20.

Titans at Eagles

MDS’s take: A matchup with the lousy Tennessee defense is just what Eagles quarterback Mark Sanchez needs. Philadelphia’s offense will look a whole lot better on Sunday.

MDS’s pick: Eagles 31, Titans 20.

Florio’s take: Nothing helps erase the memories of an ugly game at Lambeau Field than a visit from one of the worst teams in the league.

Florio’s pick: Eagles 37, Titans 14.

Rams at Chargers

MDS’s take: The Rams showed last week that they can beat good teams, and although they’re in last place in the NFC West, they’d probably win the NFC South. I’m tempted to pick them to win a second straight upset over a good AFC West team, but I just can’t see them winning in San Diego, even though they’ll make it close.

MDS’s pick: Chargers 21, Rams 17.

Florio’s take: The Rams keep finding ways to play well against teams that qualified for the playoffs in 2013. But they haven’t established true consistency. The Chargers have been consistently mediocre since starting 5-1. On this one, trust the team that’s playing at home with the better quarterback.

Florio’s pick: Chargers 24, Rams 17.

Cardinals at Seahawks

MDS’s take: I’m a believer in the Cardinals — I expect them to earn home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs and be a very tough team to beat in January. But the Seahawks, who have a tough road to the playoffs ahead of them, still have a big game in them, and I think that game is coming Sunday.

MDS’s pick: Seahawks 27, Cardinals 17.

Florio’s take: Sure, the Seahawks don’t often lose at home. Yeah, they’ll have even more motivation to beat Arizona, since Arizona won in Seattle last year. Right, the Seahawks can’t afford to fall four games behind the Cardinals with only five games to play. Regardless, something is wrong with the Seahawks and plenty is right with the Cardinals. Coach Bruce Arians will have them ready to play — and to secure a win that will be just as unlikely as their season so far.

Florio’s pick: Cardinals 13, Seahawks 9.

Dolphins at Broncos

MDS’s take: If you’re a Broncos fan, you have to be nervous right now. They’ve basically played 20 minutes of good football (last five minutes before halftime and the third quarter against the Raiders) in the last three games. If Denver doesn’t turn things around in a hurry, Kansas City is going to steal the AFC West. But I expectPeyton Manning to bounce back with a huge game.

MDS’s pick: Broncos 31, Dolphins 21.

Florio’s take: The Dolphins wanted to sign Peyton Manning in 2012. They’ll about to get a very good look at how things might have been.

Florio’s pick: Broncos 34, Dolphins 17.

Washington at 49ers

MDS’s take: Robert Griffin III is “focused on San Francisco.” But no matter how much he focuses, Washington isn’t beating the red-hot 49ers.

MDS’s pick: 49ers 28, Washington 10.

Florio’s take: With Trent Williams injured, Aldon Smith may end up injuring Robert Griffin III. Given the way Griffin has played, the 49ers may not want to knock Griffin out of the game.

Florio’s pick: 49ers 30, Washington 10.

Cowboys at Giants

MDS’s take: Tony Romo should be healthier after the bye week, and Eli Manning is playing some lousy football right now. That adds up to a Cowboys win in what could be another Sunday night blowout.

MDS’s pick: Cowboys 31, Giants 17.

Florio’s take: Even if the Giants make good on safety Antrel Rolle’s vow to run the table, it may not be good enough to get an invitation to the playoff party. It would be fitting for a team that has looked so bad to find a way to turn it around, but the Cowboys are good enough to overpower the team with the worst rush defense in the league — and a quarterback who threw five interceptions last Sunday.

Florio’s pick: Cowboys 24, Giants 13.

Ravens at Saints

MDS’s take: I’m about to give up on figuring out the Saints. The way the played the Packers, I’d think no one would go to New Orleans and beat them. The way they played the Bengals, I’d think they’re one of the worst teams in the league. It’s a close call with the Ravens coming to town, but I’ll pick the Saints to have a big game with their backs against the wall.

MDS’s pick: Saints 24, Ravens 17.

Florio’s take: The Saints haven’t lost three straight games at the Superdome since 2001, and it won’t be easy to avoid falling for a third time in 15 days, given that the Ravens have had 15 days to prepare for this one. The Saints remain too good to let it happen. I think.

Florio’s pick: Saints 27, Ravens 17.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/20/pfts-week-12-picks-4/

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's the safe bet. Chargers are at home with the better QB as he said. Strong logic there.

I would add that Fisher's Rams teams have had a tendency to letdown on games they should win, or after a big win, etc. This one has Jeff Fisher Rams letdown written all over it in that respect, as does the Raiduhs next week particularly if they win in SD.

What has me excited is the defense. This is the first time Fish has had a real defense with any sort of consistency, and I think it's for real. I think this SD game is winnable, and really hope the offense doesn't choke it away.

Last edited:

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Rams and Gators
I apologize for not providing links but a quick search can get you this - MDS picked the Rams to win once and Florio hasn't picked the Rams to win:
Broncos at Rams

MDS’s take: The Rams have played competitive football against good teams recently, and they might do so again against the Broncos. But there’s a difference between being competitive and winning.

MDS’s pick: Broncos 23, Rams 20.

Florio’s take: Austin Davis, Kellen Clemens, Sam Bradford, Kurt Warner, Jim Everett, Roman Gabriel, Warren Beatty in Heaven Can Wait. None would be a match for Peyton F. Manning.

Florio’s pick: Broncos 35, Rams 20.

Rams at Cardinals

MDS’s take: The Rams have played good football at times and already beaten the Seahawks and 49ers, but they won’t get their third division win on Sunday. The Cardinals will take this one.

MDS’s pick: Cardinals 27, Rams 24.

Florio’s take: The Rams have upset the Seahawks and 49ers, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if they knock the team that used to be in St. Louis down a peg. But 2012 and potential 2014 coach of the year Bruce Arians won’t let his guys get complacent, not with so much riding on their ability to keep doing what they’ve done all year.

Florio’s pick: Cardinals 27, Rams 14.

Rams at 49ers

MDS’s take: Looking ahead at the 49ers’ schedule, their path to the playoffs is not an easy one. These are the games the 49ers need to win if they’re going to be a playoff team. They’ll win this one.

MDS’s pick: 49ers 24, Rams 20.

Florio’s take: The 49ers are rested and motivated to keep up with the Cardinals, who are close to running away with the NFC West. The Rams won’t be pushovers, but San Fran needs this one too badly to blow it.

Florio’s pick: 49ers 27, Rams 20.

Rams at Chiefs

MDS’s take: The two Missouri teams pulled off two surprising upsets last week, but I see the Rams’ win as more of a fluke, while the Chiefs’ win was a sign that they’ve got a good chance to go on a run in the AFC. I like Kansas City to win this one easily.

MDS’s pick: Chiefs 31, Rams 10.

Florio’s take: More than bragging rights will be on the line in the latest edition of the Battle for Missouri. Both teams have a chance to make a run at the postseason after being blown out at home in Week One. The Chiefs have too much talent for the Rams, especially when the Kansas City offense faces the St. Louis defense.

Florio’s pick: Chiefs 24, Rams 17.

Seahawks at Rams

MDS’s take
: The Seahawks’ schedule got off to a brutal start, as four of their first five opponents were likely playoff teams. Now the Seahawks are entering the easier stretch of their schedule, and they should make quick work of the Rams.

MDS’s pick: Seahawks 28, Rams 14.

Florio’s take: The suddenly shaky Seahawks look to re-establish themselves against the regularly-shaky Rams. St. Louis could put up a fight early (like they did at home against the 49ers on Monday night) and then fade late (like they did at home against the 49ers on Monday night). Either way, no one will be thinking the Seahawks are in danger after Sunday. Even if they are.

Florio’s pick: Seahawks 30, Rams 17.

49ers at Rams

MDS’s take: The Rams are getting far better play from quarterback Austin Davisthan anyone could have expected. Unfortunately, they’re also getting far worse play from their defense than anyone could have expected. The 49ers’ offense should put up big numbers.

MDS’s pick: 49ers 34, Rams 20.

Florio’s take: Yes, the Rams have played the 49ers tough in the past. Yes, the Rams showed fight in a stirring comeback attempt at Philly. No, that doesn’t persuade me that the Rams will be able to hold off a 49ers team that has been using the various reports about the future of Jim Harbaugh as a source of motivation and focus.

Florio’s pick: 49ers 24, Rams 15.

Rams at Eagles

MDS’s take: The Eagles have been missing a lot of opportunities offensively, withNick Foles failing to connect on his deep balls. I think the Rams’ defense, which is struggling to rush the passer, is going to give Foles plenty of time to find receivers downfield, and this should be a big win for Philadelphia.

MDS’s pick: Eagles 35, Rams 21.

Florio’s take: Philly’s offensive line is struggling, but so is the supposedly dominant St. Louis defensive line. Look for Chip Kelly to draw up a game plan that gets the most out of a quintet of blockers that welcomes back Lane Johnson. And that shuts down an offense that Austin Davis has wrested from Shaun Hill.

Florio’s pick: Eagles 34, Rams 17.

Cowboys at Rams

MDS’s take: The 1-1 Cowboys are one-eighth of the way to their fourth straight 8-8 finish, and I think what we’re going to see from them this year is more or less what we’ve seen through two games: They’ll beat bad teams like the Titans and lose to good teams like the 49ers. This week it’s the Rams, a bad team, so they’ll win.

MDS’s pick: Cowboys 28, Rams 13.

Florio’s take: The next time anyone talks about expanding the NFL, point out that this game could feature a quarterback showdown of Brandon Weeden and Austin Davis. Advantage: No one.

Florio’s pick: Cowboys 14, Rams 13.

Rams at Buccaneers

MDS’s take: St. Louis looked so awful in Week One that I’m not sure I’d take the Rams on the road against anyone. The Bucs’ defense is going to make life rough forShaun Hill.

MDS’s pick: Buccaneers 20, Rams 10.

Florio’s take: Two teams with high hopes fell flat in Week One. The Rams remain adrift without an effective quarterback. If the Bucs can’t win this one, they won’t win many this year.

Florio’s pick: Buccaneers 14, Rams 13.

Vikings at Rams

MDS’s take: Shaun Hill is going to surprise a lot of people and turn in a solid season in place of Sam Bradford this year. I’m not picking another Kurt Warner/Trent Green situation, but I am picking the Rams to be better than anyone thinks, and to get it started with a win over a rebuilding Vikings team.

MDS’s pick: Rams 24, Vikings 20.

Florio’s take: The Vikings finally will have balance on offense. The Rams suddenly won’t. Sometimes, it’s that simple.

Florio’s pick: Vikings 16, Rams 10.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Personally, I think it's safe to say, they're both going to lose on the Ram game!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
@Rams and Gators
I apologize for not providing links but a quick search can get you this - MDS picked the Rams to win once and Florio hasn't picked the Rams to win:
Broncos at Rams

MDS’s take: The Rams have played competitive football against good teams recently, and they might do so again against the Broncos. But there’s a difference between being competitive and winning.

Florio’s take: Austin Davis, Kellen Clemens, Sam Bradford, Kurt Warner, Jim Everett, Roman Gabriel, Warren Beatty in Heaven Can Wait. None would be a match for Peyton F. Manning.

Rams at Cardinals

MDS’s take: The Rams have played good football at times and already beaten the Seahawks and 49ers, but they won’t get their third division win on Sunday. The Cardinals will take this one.

Florio’s take: The Rams have upset the Seahawks and 49ers, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if they knock the team that used to be in St. Louis down a peg. But 2012 and potential 2014 coach of the year Bruce Arians won’t let his guys get complacent, not with so much riding on their ability to keep doing what they’ve done all year.

Rams at 49ers

MDS’s take: Looking ahead at the 49ers’ schedule, their path to the playoffs is not an easy one. These are the games the 49ers need to win if they’re going to be a playoff team. They’ll win this one.

Florio’s take: The 49ers are rested and motivated to keep up with the Cardinals, who are close to running away with the NFC West. The Rams won’t be pushovers, but San Fran needs this one too badly to blow it.

Rams at Chiefs

MDS’s take: The two Missouri teams pulled off two surprising upsets last week, but I see the Rams’ win as more of a fluke, while the Chiefs’ win was a sign that they’ve got a good chance to go on a run in the AFC. I like Kansas City to win this one easily.

Florio’s take: More than bragging rights will be on the line in the latest edition of the Battle for Missouri. Both teams have a chance to make a run at the postseason after being blown out at home in Week One. The Chiefs have too much talent for the Rams, especially when the Kansas City offense faces the St. Louis defense.

Seahawks at Rams

MDS’s take
: The Seahawks’ schedule got off to a brutal start, as four of their first five opponents were likely playoff teams. Now the Seahawks are entering the easier stretch of their schedule, and they should make quick work of the Rams.

Florio’s take: The suddenly shaky Seahawks look to re-establish themselves against the regularly-shaky Rams. St. Louis could put up a fight early (like they did at home against the 49ers on Monday night) and then fade late (like they did at home against the 49ers on Monday night). Either way, no one will be thinking the Seahawks are in danger after Sunday. Even if they are.

49ers at Rams

MDS’s take: The Rams are getting far better play from quarterback Austin Davisthan anyone could have expected. Unfortunately, they’re also getting far worse play from their defense than anyone could have expected. The 49ers’ offense should put up big numbers.

Florio’s take: Yes, the Rams have played the 49ers tough in the past. Yes, the Rams showed fight in a stirring comeback attempt at Philly. No, that doesn’t persuade me that the Rams will be able to hold off a 49ers team that has been using the various reports about the future of Jim Harbaugh as a source of motivation and focus.

Rams at Eagles

MDS’s take: The Eagles have been missing a lot of opportunities offensively, withNick Foles failing to connect on his deep balls. I think the Rams’ defense, which is struggling to rush the passer, is going to give Foles plenty of time to find receivers downfield, and this should be a big win for Philadelphia.

Florio’s take: Philly’s offensive line is struggling, but so is the supposedly dominant St. Louis defensive line. Look for Chip Kelly to draw up a game plan that gets the most out of a quintet of blockers that welcomes back Lane Johnson. And that shuts down an offense that Austin Davis has wrested from Shaun Hill.

Cowboys at Rams

MDS’s take: The 1-1 Cowboys are one-eighth of the way to their fourth straight 8-8 finish, and I think what we’re going to see from them this year is more or less what we’ve seen through two games: They’ll beat bad teams like the Titans and lose to good teams like the 49ers. This week it’s the Rams, a bad team, so they’ll win.

Florio’s take: The next time anyone talks about expanding the NFL, point out that this game could feature a quarterback showdown of Brandon Weeden and Austin Davis. Advantage: No one.

Rams at Buccaneers

MDS’s take: St. Louis looked so awful in Week One that I’m not sure I’d take the Rams on the road against anyone. The Bucs’ defense is going to make life rough forShaun Hill.

Florio’s take: Two teams with high hopes fell flat in Week One. The Rams remain adrift without an effective quarterback. If the Bucs can’t win this one, they won’t win many this year.

Vikings at Rams

MDS’s take: Shaun Hill is going to surprise a lot of people and turn in a solid season in place of Sam Bradford this year. I’m not picking another Kurt Warner/Trent Green situation, but I am picking the Rams to be better than anyone thinks, and to get it started with a win over a rebuilding Vikings team.

Florio’s take: The Vikings finally will have balance on offense. The Rams suddenly won’t. Sometimes, it’s that simple.

Thank for the research Lazy!!

@Rams and Gators
Broncos at Rams

Rams at Cardinals

Rams at 49ers

Rams at Chiefs

Seahawks at Rams

MDS’s take

49ers at Rams

Rams at Eagles

Cowboys at Rams

Rams at Buccaneers

Vikings at Rams

Thanks for the work (y). So we're 0-10 right now if Florio knew anything about football :confused:.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
These guys are idiots. Hell they will even take the Raiders when they play at STL next weekend.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Chargers have been consistently mediocre since starting 5-1. On this one, trust the team that’s playing at home with the better quarterback.

So take the team with the better QB even though he has bruised ribs and a porous offensive line against a great defensive front and a very hard hitting backfield? Sorry Florio but that doesn't sound like a recipe for San Diego success to me. The Chargers wont score a point. First shutout of the season coming up!

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
To add my own note. Lately (starting w/ the 2nd SF game....) I've been on my own trend. when I don't expect much from our team I have (remorsefully...) picked against them. But this year just doesn't appear to be my year for picking, so the Rams won both games I "expected" them to lose. So I am taking one for the team in Pickem and am picking the Chargers. Like Costner said. You must respect a streak.....

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I personally gurantee we do not lose this game. Chargers struggle to keep Rivers clean and we just beat a tougher defense.

RamzFanz

Damnit
San Diego has a worse O line than Denver and a worse QB, but dumbass is going with the "better" QB. How about going with the QB that won't be on his back half the game and the locker room training table receiving treatment the other half?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Let's not get too cocky and jinx it. I know I won't be wearing any Rams gear for the game, as we seem to lose when I do that (despite spending lots of good money on that gear:cry::mad:).

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Let's not get too cocky and jinx it. I know I won't be wearing any Rams gear for the game, as we seem to lose when I do that (despite spending lots of good money on that gear:cry::mad:).

I don't believe in jinxes. I've worn Rams gear during wins and losses. I used to shave every Sunday to ensure a win. Once I shaved on a Saturday, they still won.

Us being cocky only sets us up for disappointment, or a big fat "See, told ya." I prefer the latter obviously.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't believe in jinxes. I've worn Rams gear during wins and losses. I used to shave every Sunday to ensure a win. Once I shaved on a Saturday, they still won.

Us being cocky only sets us up for disappointment, or a big fat "See, told ya." I prefer the latter obviously.

My problems with wearing football gear and losing go back into the early St. Louis Rams days when my roommate in the military noticed that my team lost every time I broke out my sparkling new Bruce jersey. Do we lose every time? No, but we are closing in on .500 and I'm going to do my part. Even if it's all in my head.