PFT’s 2015 awards: Gurley and Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/23/pfts-2015-awards/

PFT’s 2015 awards
Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2016

The regular season ended 20 days ago, and all key coaching and G.M. jobs are now filled. So before the Final Four whittles to the teams that will end up on all of the Super Bowl 50 merchandise, it’s a good time to recognize the best of the best from the 2015 regular season.

It also makes sense to do it before my roof caves in under 20-plus inches of snow and knocks out my Internet, along with my existence.(see our Snowmageddon thread Mike).

In past years, we’ve milked the cow gradually, posting one award per day until they were all done. This year, I’m going with the quick Band-Aid removal technique, pulling the sheet from all the awards at once. If you agree or disagree with any of them, make your thoughts known in the comments below.

The awards were determined by input from the PFT staff, but ultimately I put the names in a hat spent hours of careful deliberation determining the winner and one runner-up in each category.

Offensive rookie of the year: Rams running back Todd Gurley. (Runner-up: Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston.)

Defensive rookie of the year: Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters. (Runner-up: Jets defensive lineman Leonard Williams.)

Offensive player of the year: Steelers receiver Antonio Brown. (Runner-up: Falcons receiver Julio Jones.)

Defensive player of the year: Texans defensive end J.J. Watt. (Runner-up: Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald.)

Comeback player of the year: Chiefs safety Eric Berry. (Runner-up: Saints running back Tim Hightower.)

Coach of the year: Panthers coach Ron Rivera. (Runner-up: Broncos coach Gary Kubiak.)

Executive of the year: Seahawks G.M. John Schneider. (Runner-up: Panthers G.M. Dave Gettleman.)

MVP: Panthers quarterback Cam Newton. (Runner-up: Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson.)

And that’s that. No dinner, no prize, no press release, no plaque. Just the satisfaction from knowing that a group of dude’s in their mom’s basements know greatness when they see it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Defensive player of the year: Texans defensive end J.J. Watt. (Runner-up: Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald.)
Everyone in the world knows this^ is Back-words, Aaron is the DPOY and JJ is the runner-up this year!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Everyone in the world knows this^ is Back-words, Aaron is the DPOY and JJ is the runner-up this year!!!
Lets see JJ plays in the 4th largest city & the fast growing city in the top five & his team was in the playoffs.......AD played for St Louis which is the 60th largest city with a declining population along with long losing season once again.

We all know that AD had the better overall year & should have have it over JJ but I would have to admit it was close. If starting DE's Quinn & Long had not gone down to injuries it would have NOT even been close.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's an injustice. JJ Watt is getting the nod because of his reputation and not versus actual production vs AD

jap

Legend
We really have quite the defensive-offensive 1-2 knock-out combination in Aaron and Todd. Even if a team beats us, they are going to take an ass-whupping from those two.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Meh... It's Florio. And he probably IS writing that from his mom's basement.

A55VA6

Legend
Donald got the best grade of all D-linemen this year with 99.9 while J.J. Watt was 2nd with a 95.7.

Donald was just the most disruptive defensive player this year.. but I guess it's all opinion..

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If starting DE's Quinn & Long had not gone down to injuries it would have NOT even been close.
This is true. Hell, one could argue that Quinn could have ended up DPOY with Donald flushing QBs.

tempests

Hall of Fame
It's an injustice. JJ Watt is getting the nod because of his reputation and not versus actual production vs AD

JJ led the league in sacks again. They could give it to Donald, Watt or Kuechley. Most years there is more than one guy deserving of it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JJ led the league in sacks again. They could give it to Donald, Watt or Kuechley. Most years there is more than one guy deserving of it.
Watt had/has an injured hand that affected him for a few games, and 11 sacks at the DT position (Donald) is phenomenal..besides, there is so much more to Donalds game than just sacks